Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Stories / The Return of the Forum(OOC)

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 13 pages long.
Go to page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user
Master of all things nOOby!!!

Last page view:

5763 days, 10 hours, 45 minutes and 46 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 at 14:12 (GMT -5)

Hey guys , sorry about the two OOC char posts....mine will be up until Battle Bunny removes his post, then that thread will be clean.
"You try to give Fang, the large dog the bone. Fang, the large dog says,"Do you know who I am, mortal?!?!"
My smartest dog ever:D
Portrait
PeanutGod
Registered user
Lord of Misery

Last page view:

5051 days, 17 hours, 34 minutes and 7 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 at 19:30 (GMT -5)

Actually, my dude is chaotic good. I was going by the way of the funky DnD classifications. So I'm pretty much N- really. I'll do what needs to be done, but there needs to be something in it for me, although I don't like to see people slaughtered needlessly.

---

Ladies and Gentleman, take my advice. Pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Ladies and Gentleman, take my advice. Pull down your pants, and slide on the ice.

F50
Registered user

Last page view:

5475 days, 12 hours, 15 minutes and 56 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 at 22:58 (GMT -5)

I am more of an lawful bad. I adhere strictly to the code of law which is why I am L going on L+. But...
"If the bread weights that much in the draklor chain, then it's no wonder so many die of starvation.
AND - what kind of IRON RATION weights as much as an iron shield?! A dinner for four, oven included? ;)"

-Maelstrom
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4238 days, 20 hours, 50 minutes and 28 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 at 04:49 (GMT -5)

Hmm, I would rather like to join, if you guys don't mind. This is the character I'd like to play:

Name: Tarindil Nomaeis
Race: Grey Elf
Class: Bard
Alignment: N+
Starsign: Raven
Stats: St 15, Le 20, Wi 12, Dx 17, To 9, Ch 14, Ap 21, Ma 18, Pe 20, Spd 111, DV/PV 13/2
Physical characteristics: Height 6'9", white hair, blue eyes
Skills (since these are random): Archery, Climbing, Concentration, Dodge, First Aid, Food Preservation, Healing, Listening, Literacy, Music, Stealth, Ventriloquism
Pet: Fairy Dragon called Loli (houeland's data dump lists this as Chaotic, 2 attacks per round, 22 DV, 0 PV, 120 speed. Can talk, and from my experience is also able to use a water breath attack and teleport others)

Equipment: Clothes [0,0], long sword (1d8), sandals [0,+2], dagger (1d4), torches etc, tamborine, 2 mandolines, wand of light (7 charges), elven bread, 172 gold.

General description: More charismatic than others of his race, Tarindil laughs and smiles openly, and is often want to break into song or speak in verse. Still, being of noble race he can be haughty at times, and an insular (though scholarly) life has made him somewhat ignorant of parts of the world (in particular grimy dungeons). He knows a few tricks in a fight, from sword-play to archery to small cantrips, and even the use of music or ventriloquism to calm or confuse his opponents. However, being weak in stature he is more used to running swiftly from fights he can't handle. In spite of a seemingly carefree attitude to life Tarindil is still responsible, mature and level-headed, rarely raised to anger or rash decisions. Though not the most active of believers he still has strong faith in Ayssia.

His pet fairy dragon, Loli, is a tiny creature - only 10 inches from head to tail - with bright pink skin and sapphire wings. It usually sits on Tarindil's shoulder, whistling along to music he plays or chatting nonsense in its high-pitched voice. In spite of its tiny stature the dragon can be still be a force to be reckoned with - it nimbly dodges any attack thrown at it, and has a variety of magical tricks at its disposal. It also often gets Tarindil in trouble with his penchant for mischief and love for sweet treats (whether they're his or not).

Hmm, I'll write a full backstory later if you guys approve. If so I think it would be best to introduce him at the High Mountain Village, with the idea being that he came to it via the hidden passageway after speaking to the Mad Minstrel.

Also, with regards to the story, although I agree it's best overall to follow the generic game structure, perhaps you might like to embelish some extra mysteries in the game? I'm thinking of the likes of the Volcano and the Scroll of Omnipotence, possibly even the Red Rooster Inn. Though I don't believe they have any significance in the game as it stands they could be fun to explore in concept in the story as sidepoints to the main plot.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Portrait
PeanutGod
Registered user
Lord of Misery

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 at 05:00 (GMT -5)

I'd love to have you aboard man. And I'm sure the others wouldn't mind either!

Love the idea about the Volcano/Inn/Scroll stuff. Could be quite interesting!

-----

Ladies and Gentleman, take my advice. Pull down your pants, and slide on the ice.

Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

5826 days, 17 hours, 8 minutes and 7 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 at 07:36 (GMT -5)

Ok, I copied my post here. The original post:
Out Of Goddamn Character: You make a new goddamn story when there are several goddamn stories out in the goddamn forum. Are you serious?
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
http://www.mindistortion.net/iwantyoursoul/?i_am=Darkcutter
Portrait
PeanutGod
Registered user
Lord of Misery

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 at 07:44 (GMT -5)

Whats your problem exactly? We'd rather start a story by ourselves than jump into something that is already on going. It's not exactly the worlds greatest issue. Deal with it and move on.

-----

Ladies and Gentleman, take my advice. Pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

F50
Registered user

Last page view:

5475 days, 12 hours, 15 minutes and 56 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 at 09:54 (GMT -5)

Tarindil Nomaeis could proably join us at just before the HMV (right when we exit the UD) given the background you gave us. It should only be two posts for each challenge. I expect there to be the river and a vault left before we exit.

btw, once I had a vault of purple Y's (flesh golems I believe) yellow Y's (clay golems I think) and an Iron golem for a leader in the UD (I died. but then there was only one hero).
"If the bread weights that much in the draklor chain, then it's no wonder so many die of starvation.
AND - what kind of IRON RATION weights as much as an iron shield?! A dinner for four, oven included? ;)"

-Maelstrom
Cat Lord Lord
Registered user
Not really

Last page view:

5444 days, 13 hours, 51 minutes and 2 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 at 13:39 (GMT -5)

Battle bunny, what do you mean "active"? The last posts weren't by 2006 (somthing like that). Plus, I don't think most people here were in that story. Darren, fine by me if you join. Could take awhile to get us over the river and up there.
Homework is not meant for home! It's a sick verbal coincidence!
-My brother
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 at 08:53 (GMT -5)

I don't mind about it taking time to get through the UD - that's quite expected. Hmm, given the time it might take and the equipment you guys are likely to procure, might it be best to improve my characters base equipment to be on a similar level? (I'm thinking mithril sword, elven chain mail, bow and arrows) I don't know how detailed you want to get into equipment gains and such (possibly something that might bog the story down a bit).

Anyway, there's Tarindil's backstory (sorry if it's too verbose):

Nestled in the valley of Amma Sus lies the the great elven city of Finduras, Jewel of the World. A shining utopia filled with stunning crystal buildings and beautiful sprawling gardens, Finduras had a long established history for trade and lore close to the middle seas of Ancardia. The last great City of the Elves to survive in modern times, it was also known for its elitist society. The noble families were made up primarily of grey elves, who controlled most of the cities laws and governance. Their numbers had dwindled in the past millenia but they still held a firm grip on power in the city. The working and middle classes, the majority of the population, were high elves, who lived happy lives in the peace and prosperity of the great city. But in this seeming utopia many humans and other races also strived to make a daily living, rarely being allowed to rise above slave or servant status. This was a utopia intended for a select few, and they ignored the greasy underworkings of their seemingly perfect society.

Tarindil was born to the noble Nomaeis family 322 years ago, the second of three children. His older brother Haldarion was much loved by his parents and encouraged in all his deeds. He grew up proud and strong, a master of all forms of fighting and warcraft, and was widely tipped to become the next Captain of the Guard. His younger sister, Elia, was also much doted upon, and grew to be a fine and beautiful girl, full of the passion of youth. Tarindil in some respects had comparitively less attention from his parents, but this also gave him more freedom in life to explore his own interests without overbearing guidance. He travelled to other cities when his parents allowed and learned many things under the tutelage of different masters. He rarely fully mastered anything, his attention often wavering, but he was always delighted by the wonders of the world. His greatest interests were in lore and music, and he gained renowned skill in retelling old tales in the form of song. He lived for the most part a carefree life in the happy environment of his city.

But the happiness was not to last. At the start of his 300s it was noticed that crops were doing worse than normal, and that wild animals were acting strange, sometimes attacking people without reason. The winters were growing colder, food was becoming more scarce amongst the lower classes, and many unsurly people seemed to be getting into the city. When he was 320 a group of humans began a revolt against their oppression in the city. The elders crushed them brutally, and many thousands of servants and slaves were killed, including women and children. The environment against humans became very hostile, and many left, making normal life more difficult for those that enjoyed the luxury on the highest echelons of society.

It was unfortunate then that the next year marked the arrival of a great visitor: Khelevaster the Sage. Khelevaster was warning all of the races about some terrible force of Chaos invading the world. He said they all must work together to stop this, and he himself was trying to find its source so that he might do what he can to fight it. He said he believed it to be somewhere in the Drakalor Chain, and encouraged all adventurers to make their way there. Tarindil met with Khelevaster and was much convinced by his teachings. But the elders didn't want to appear weak by taking the advice of a human. In their arrogance and pride they believed that they would be immune from any such forces of chaos in their high and mighty city.

That winter the Black Wind came. The air carried the smell of taint, and rain came down that seemed to burn the face. Many fell ill, especially children and the elderly. Elia was one of them. Her spirit was sapped from her and she became terribly weak - a shadow of the bright young child she was before. Doctors said they could do nothing, and that a strange corruption seemed to be taking over her tissue and slowly killing her. Tarindil believed that Chaos must be the cause, and convinced his elder brother that it was so. Haldarion could not sit by and watch his sister slowly die. He gathered a group of loyal friends and rode off to follow Khelevaster.

18 months later, after long and painful suffering, Elia died. Haldarion had not been heard of again. The city was slowly falling apart, and some plotted civil war against the elders and noble families. Tarindil could not stand idly by any longer - on the day of the funeral he proposed to follow his brother's footsteps and try to find the root of this terrible evil that had invaded their lives. But his parents objected. "We have lost two children already," said his mother in tears. "Are we to lose the only thing left to us in this world?"

That night, in the dark confines of his room, Tarindil picked up his prized mandolin and tried to pluck a string, but he could not. He wanted to hear the melody of Elia's voice again, he wanted to hear her joyous laugh. What use was his music to him now? His instrument dropped to the floor with a clang and he began to cry.

It was about an hour later that his father entered holding a long item draped in cloth. The young elf was sitting on his bed in silence, and looked up as his father approached him and handed him the item, revealing on one end the hilt of a sword. He gazed into his father's eyes and saw the sadness they held. "Tarindil... It is not for me to decide the path you shall walk. You must choose your own course, and do what you feel is right. Your mother will understand..." He walked towards the door, and before leaving paused and said, "May Ayssia bless you."

The next morning at the light of dawn Tarindil departed. There were no goodbyes, and as he rode away he did not turn his gaze back, for fear he would never be able to let the sight of his home leave his eyes.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Cat Lord Lord
Registered user
Not really

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 at 09:49 (GMT -5)

To get across the river, I think we should kill Kranach, get the money, then buy the book. We could meet Darren wandering around looking for a way to get to the fabled High Mountain Village. Also, I changed it so I had a few paragraphs dealing with blink dogs. Battle bunny removed his post, Noob please do the same.
-My brother
Portrait
PeanutGod
Registered user
Lord of Misery

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 at 10:00 (GMT -5)

Just an idea, I reckon that when each of us starts writing a piece, we should reply to the story forum with something along the lines of -

"Section in Progress"

That way we know that someone is writing the next piece and we don't waste time writing something, going to post it and found someone else has already replied. Just had this with Cat Lord. I've been writing something for the past half hour, and went to post and he'd been and gone! So I adjusted the start of it (not wanting to delete all my work) and moved on. Sorry CLL, didn't see this post until I had posted mine. We can still do your idea though if you want. just need to get my dude back across the river thats all.

Anyway, I reckon that'd be sensible, the Section in progress idea anyway.

Oh and CLL, humans start with swimming. I can swim! Woo. You might want to edit that piece in yours.

----

ladies and Gentleman, take my advice. Pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/14/2007 at 10:03 (GMT -5) by PeanutGod]
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 at 10:45 (GMT -5)

Heh, there's a touch of Groundhog Day to your post - you may wish to edit ;)

I'll happily join in earlier if you guys are going back to the wilderness. I mostly wanted to first post at or near the HMV to include something about the strange message scroll, but that can easily wait till later. Shall I add an "introduction" post after you guys get out of the Small Cave? Or perhaps considering the current blink dog problem you may like assistance earlier? :P
Portrait
PeanutGod
Registered user
Lord of Misery

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 at 10:49 (GMT -5)

Say who? Which part? Lol.

----

Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 at 10:53 (GMT -5)

Hah, sorry, was replying to Cat Lord Lord but took far too long replying...
Cat Lord Lord
Registered user
Not really

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 at 11:12 (GMT -5)

I don't care which way we go, just thought would be interesting to do Kranach. I'll edit the part about swimming.
-My brother
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 at 11:49 (GMT -5)

I'm back, so I'll remove that one post, hope I didn't miss too much!
"You try to give Fang, the large dog the bone. Fang, the large dog says,"Do you know who I am, mortal?!?!"
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 at 05:56 (GMT -5)

Hmm, well, I've typed up a post for your chars coming out of the UD and meeting my fellow close to the HMV (but not actually entering there yet). I'll shove it up once you guys get out of the dungeon (I really don't mind how long that takes). It can easily be altered to fit any changes that occur in the meantime. Unfortunately it's come out rather long, but I don't feel like I can whittle it down... Being long it does involve a fair amount of dialogue and actions from everyone (which I wouldn't normally do, but an introduction post kinda requires it) - hopefully nothing objectionable, but if so retrospective alterations can be made.
Portrait
PeanutGod
Registered user
Lord of Misery

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 at 09:47 (GMT -5)

Thats sweet mate. I'm going to go and write a piece now with us lot emerging from the dungeon and if you wanna take it from there thats cool. Don't worry about the piece being long, I hate writing small pieces anyway, and usually like to push to around 1000/1500 words for a decent section. Gives me something decent to read from other people.

-----

Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

5826 days, 17 hours, 8 minutes and 7 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 at 12:37 (GMT -5)

"Battle bunny, what do you mean "active"? The last posts weren't by 2006 (somthing like that). Plus, I don't think most people here were in that story. Darren, fine by me if you join. Could take awhile to get us over the river and up there. "
When did I say active?
Also, I'm gonna join, but only later, and don't expect me to contribute to the story's enjoyment if you let me do this anyway. I like writing stories, but I couldn't write a decent piece of roleplay if the Sun was falling on me.
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
http://www.mindistortion.net/iwantyoursoul/?i_am=Darkcutter
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 at 14:20 (GMT -5)

Well, don't say I didn't warn ya, PeanutGod. 1000 words is fine, but that thing was pushing 3500. It's just a one-off though - won't happen again, I promise. A bit of overlap between the end of yours and the start of mine, but I think it works well since I was writing from Thurgin's perspective.

To the High Mountain Village next! Just a thought, but perhaps the chaotic member of our party would like to take a visit to a certain crone? Or do we not want to go down that route...?

Love the weaponsmith song, by the way :) You should write a full chorus for our characters to all sing together!
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 at 15:35 (GMT -5)

I incorportated the volcano/scroll of omnipotence now.The scroll will be the map in a secret code, but our group won't believe Ramirez since he's bad.This is starting to be a really cool story guys. Let's keep up the good work, and thanks for joining Darren!:D
Portrait
PeanutGod
Registered user
Lord of Misery

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 at 16:01 (GMT -5)

Bad! Moi? How dare thee! *Chuckles* Ramirez ain't evil, he's just possessed by a demon. Plus, have I missed something. -our group won't believe Ramirez because he's bad - ? Believe him about what? The elf covering something up bit?

If we start churning out larger pieces I'm fine with that. I used to do a hell of a lot of RPin (for efeds if anyone knows about them) so writing a lot doesn't bother me. Plus I feel it lets you get a lot more feeling into your work.

I agree Noob - its turning out to be a good story. Just as long as it continues the way its started!

-----

Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 at 16:09 (GMT -5)

Hmm, this is getting interesting now :)

I was thinking of Alhacrast being a human mage that Tarindil had once known decades ago, with a bit of backstory worked out in my head behind that. I figured Ramirez might know of him by reputation as overlord of Jak-Nagiur (the black city, host of the temple of fiends where human sacrifices were made each night), or possibly even have worked under him as an assassin (but only addressing him by surname, so he wouldn't instantly recognise the name "Alhacrast"). Who Lubaf is I'm not sure of yet, nor is it clear in my head how to bring in the Scroll of Omnipotence (which will obviously turn out to be a lethal force no mortal should touch) or "the red rooster at dawn" (obviously a reference to the Red Rooster Inn in some way). We have a second ancient dwarf to fit in somewhere (Trundarr's twin) if we are to cover all game mysteries.

Also, next time we pass Terinyo Loli has to interact with Blup :) And since my char's Raven-born we can get the lovely trident nice and early :D
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 at 16:25 (GMT -5)

The volcano will be very interesting, the base of it should be home to giants, while the top home of red dragons, where we will kill the wyrm,eating its corpse, getting wyrmlance(seems suitable) and going to the volcano will mean we will have been the first people to include it in a story...We will be legendary!!:D Also, someone should eventually create a name for a our group.How about Motley Crew :D
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 at 18:29 (GMT -5)

Hmm, a little contradiction - the scroll has been described as ancient, but Alhacrast must have written it recently. However, I have a solution to that, and in fact am working on producing an image of the scroll which I can link to in the story (with suitable description in text form so that it's not necessary but helps). Working on the "code" for it is challenging though...
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 at 18:49 (GMT -5)

Note: When you write, Section in Progress, make sure you delete that message.(cough cough , F50, cough cough) :D
Portrait
PeanutGod
Registered user
Lord of Misery

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 at 00:17 (GMT -5)

Also, just wondering, what happened to us in the actual village? Did we talk to the crone? Did we go into the shop? Did we chat to the ogre guard, the malicious doctor, the oracle? In short.....no.....but why not? We are skipping huge pieces here which we could write out quite well. The same happened in the dungeon. We just went straight passed herbs, a book shop, a forge without anything happening. Why? It's not like we have to rush to get this story finished. F50 - you seem to be missing chunks out. Noob finished with the giant, I thought the next bit would be some interaction in the village at least. Tell me to STFU if you all like, I'm just being a right picky bugger. I just don't like seeing some many story opportunities going to waste.

-----

Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 at 04:52 (GMT -5)

Well, nothing wrong with a little retrospective adjustment. I was wondering how I could fit Lubaf in before - now I've got a nice idea :) Cat Lord Lord, I'd suggest you add something similar in for your orc seeing Gaab'baay if you want to explore that route (which would be fun for the party I think - you'd have to do a lot of black deeds behind our backs, including stealing artifacts).

I agree that we should be exploring things further. Perhaps in future we should state here explicitly when we want to embellish certain areas? Towns especially might involve a lot of individual actions by all the characters. Maybe we should plan a little in advance what's going to happen too (cause I'm not sure where we're going now, heh - maybe the black druid or the CoC?) There's a lot of potential for doing different things now - the early CoC with the arena et al, dwarftown and its quests, the gremlin cave, the pyramid once we get the papyrus scroll, dwarven graveyard, etc. I'm not sure if we want to do all of this in detail, but we should take advantage of any opportunity for decent material we can. The whole Volcano/Scroll of Omnipotence thing is going to evolve very slowly for now.
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 at 05:12 (GMT -5)

Hmm, whoops - seems neither of us warned the other we were writing a new part, noob-master :P But it's no problem, I'll just edit mine to cut out the shop details and change it a little and it'll fit in fine.
Go to page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: