Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Stories / The Return of the Heroes(IC)

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 4 pages long.
Go to page 1 2 3 4
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user
Master of all things nOOby!!!

Last page view:

5736 days, 13 hours, 27 minutes and 29 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 at 13:36 (GMT -5)

Lawf’okong had just climbed over the last mountain seperating him from the legendary place that he’d heard about, the Drakalor Chain. He knew that somewhere in this land his destiny was before him. He ventured down the road to a town until he noticed that a shady figure was running away from another person.He ventured over to this being and asked him his name and if he was okay. He replied....
"You try to give Fang, the large dog the bone. Fang, the large dog says,"Do you know who I am, mortal?!?!"
My smartest dog ever:D
Portrait
PeanutGod
Registered user
Lord of Misery

Last page view:

5024 days, 20 hours, 15 minutes and 50 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 at 11:38 (GMT -5)

“Help me.”

The man’s mud caked face made it hard to tell whether he was handsome or not. Tears had created small dirt rivers down both of his cheeks, and a small cut on his forehead had swollen into an angry sore. Without stopping any longer, the man pushed Lawf’okong away with his hand and stumbled off, half slipping over in the process.

A faint swooshing sound filled the air for the briefest of moments and the man of filth toppled forward and sprawled in the dirt. His right leg twitched once…..twice and then he lie still. Lawf’okong took a step forward to see what had occurred and noticed a small dagger buried in the base of the man’s neck. As he leaned forward to tug it free, a voice rang out.

“I’d leave that if I were you,”

Lawf’okong turned towards the voice’s origin and saw the man he had glimpsed seconds before chasing the first. Still wondering what was going on, he watched as the newcomer strolled past him without a word and retrieved his weapon. Wiping the blood on the dead mans tunic, the stranger then proceeded to check the corpse’s pockets, removing all small coins and other valuables, as well as a dagger and small scroll. With one foot, the man flipped the dead body onto its back and then leaned forward. With a quick motion, he cut a symbol into the corpse’s forehead and stepped back. He brushed imaginary specks of dust from his sleeves, straightened his tunic and ran a hand through his hair. He then turned to Lawf’okong with a half smile on his face.

‘Sorry about that. Twas just some business I had to take care off. Who would you be sirrah?”

----

Ladies and Gentleman, take my advice. Pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Ladies and Gentleman, take my advice. Pull down your pants, and slide on the ice.

nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 at 13:35 (GMT -5)

"I am Lawf'okong, the mighty Kobold Slayer of the eastern coastlands!!!Why did you slay this man!?!?I should kill you right where you stand!" The shady man stepped back and said"Everyone has their own values. I personally value my pocket, hehe.Though I find it funny that a troll is angry for the death of one not of his race..."
Lawf'okong slowly turned around as if he was defeated and suddenly had his massive hands around the man's neck and roared," LIFE IS NOT SOMETHING TO THROW AWAY YOU PUNY...." and stopped in his sentence as he whispered," We're not alone...
"You try to give Fang, the large dog the bone. Fang, the large dog says,"Do you know who I am, mortal?!?!"
F50
Registered user

Last page view:

5448 days, 14 hours, 57 minutes and 39 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 at 14:37 (GMT -5)

Thurgin was watching with interest. He was first interested when the Troll didn't crush the thief that was later to be killed by the assassin. Thurgin almost chuckled when the Troll started yelling at the unfortunate assassin. Not that he actually had pity on him. Besides that was HIS gold in the human's pocket! Then Thurgin thought that he had been had.
"If the bread weights that much in the draklor chain, then it's no wonder so many die of starvation.
AND - what kind of IRON RATION weights as much as an iron shield?! A dinner for four, oven included? ;)"

-Maelstrom

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/29/2007 at 13:52 (GMT -5) by F50]
Cat Lord Lord
Registered user
Not really

Last page view:

5417 days, 16 hours, 32 minutes and 45 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 at 15:15 (GMT -5)

Thinking a good fight was about to be fought, a large shape emerged from a rocky outcropping.
"What? You haven't killed him yet? Looks like his bracelet could buy a few rations." Smiling, the figure walked over and picked up the mans arm looking at the bracelet.
Like a flash, a knife was out of the assassins hand and cut across the cheek of the newcomer. The figure roared and lifted him with one hand "I should slay you for that, and I just might."
Thurgin watched with some amusement, thinking nobody had noticed him. He might just get his gold back after all. He stepped out and said "Well well, an orc. You better not try anything, else I might have to use my axe."
The figure laughed and said, "Hah, a dwarf. Where would you hit? I doubt you could reach my knee." spitting on the ground. "Very well, I'll give him to you soon as he stops breathing." Drawing his sword, something stopped him...
Homework is not meant for home! It's a sick verbal coincidence!
-My brother

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/11/2007 at 15:28 (GMT -5) by Cat Lord Lord]
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 at 17:51 (GMT -5)

...webs that entangled his entire body!!! He saw the large troll chuckling saying," See, that's what happens when you're violent!Well, you've put me in a good mood with your puny selfishness.Why don't you adventurers tell me about yourselves and your names?(Glances at bracelet..)

" You, the one with the bracelet!" "Yes?" the troll continued," Where did you get that bracelet?I sense a great evil power contained in it. Take it off so I may examine it."
The bracelet flashed red and all of a sudden the man attempted to stab the troll but he was surrounded in webs like the orc next to him.

The troll then proceeded to interrogate....
F50
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 at 20:41 (GMT -5)

"So, lets start things properly, with names of course. I am Lawf'okong who are you. And you too, Dwarf."

"I am Thurgin an adventurer campaigning to stop chaos. A paladin."

"Come on, you two, your names." No answer. "SPEAK! You with the bracelet." Lawf'okong extended a large palm threateningly.

"I am called Ramirez. That is my name."

Lawf'okong looked at the remaining figure. The figure made no attempt to capitulate so Lawf'okong started moving slowly; palm retaining its form as it loomed over the figure.
"If the bread weights that much in the draklor chain, then it's no wonder so many die of starvation.
AND - what kind of IRON RATION weights as much as an iron shield?! A dinner for four, oven included? ;)"

-Maelstrom

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/11/2007 at 12:40 (GMT -5) by F50]
Portrait
PeanutGod
Registered user
Lord of Misery

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 at 00:33 (GMT -5)

Lawf’okong turned towards the last man, and Ramirez rolled his eyes in his head at all this petty drama. If he’d been thinking properly, he would have just killed these people before and then went on his merry way. Now he was standing here wrapped in cobwebs with a troll in the midst of a god act, a dwarf that was trying his best to not hit the orc, and an orc who was probably wondering how long it would take to kill them all and then make off with everything.

Ramirez sighed.

The bracelet, they all wanted the bracelet. Every bloody goddamn time.

His senses clouded and suddenly he felt himself being challenged by another being. He fell into darkness.

The demon of the bracelet took control of Ramirez’ body and took a quick look around to scope the entire situation. Right now, he was stuck in some webs, and that wasn’t good. Time to ease that small problem. The demon concentrated, the webs eased and Ramirez’s muscles bulged. Ripping away the spiders curse, he turned to look at the other three. Perhaps it wouldn’t be the wised idea to talk to them all just yet. But still, neither would he let his free ride come to harm. The demon rescinded, and Ramirez felt himself thrust forward. He blinked in the sunlight, and all too familiar feeling dawning upon him. Fact, he’d blacked out. Fact, he still had to deal with these others. Fact, he was getting hungry and slightly bored.

“Right then boys, lets stop all this right now eh. You, wizard. Stop the webs and quit being a menace. You, orc. Get your eyes off the bracelet because you can’t have it. Want to know why? Let me show you.”

To quickly demonstrate, he tried to remove the bracelet from his arm, but suffered the usual streaking red hot pains throughout his body. He dropped to one knee, took some deep breaths and then looked up and them, a half grimace half smile on his pained features.

“It’s not going to come off. And you dwarf, you seem to be rather sane so far. So what’ say gentleman that we all find a cosy berth and palaver? The sun is dropping, the wind is picking up a chill, and I have no intention of standing around playing war games whilst my stomach is rumbling. Sound good?”

----

Ladies and Gentleman, take my advice. Pull down your pants, and slide on the ice.

Cat Lord Lord
Registered user
Not really

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 at 15:16 (GMT -5)

"Is there a point to that? Coward, if I wanted it I would separate your arm from your body... or your head. Anyway, let me out of here!" the orc roared. "Damn magic..." he muttered under his breath.

The troll muttered a few words and the webs receded. The dwarf said, "Nothing around for a few miles. Just a plain road and the mountains behind us. I have no will to climb the three day journey back. So, lets get going shall we?" walking off down the road.

Lawf'okog followed, his large figure lumbering behind. The orc said, "Consider your self lucky human, only person to hit me and live." Ramirez grinned, and calmly replied, "You first, I ain't letting you get at my back." I won't have to suffer your company long the assassin thought,following the orc down the path, having to walk fast to keep up with the trolls long strides.
-My brother
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 at 15:54 (GMT -5)

The group then walked into a little hamlet called Terinyo and Thurgin said," Hmm, seems like a busy little town,let's see if there's anything to do around here."

As they walked throught the town they received strange looks from the townsfolk. The people thought," A troll, an orc, a human, and a dwarf all together?!?! Impossible!!!"

They saw a man that had the ability to walk on water, so the orc decided to introduce them:
"Hello mister, I am Jarlgan, an orcish fighter. This big fella here is Lawf'okong, Ramirez, and Thurgin."

The man responded:
"Why, maybe you are the ones that are spoken of in Khevalaster's prophecy! Well, before you set out on your worldly quest, I have a favor to ask of you. You could either do our town the favor of regaining contact with High Mountain Village, which you need to go through the small cave to get to, or you could vanquish Keethrax, an evil druid that is corrupting life."

Ramirez said,"What's in it for-ouch!!!" when Thurgin kicked him in the shins."Stop being selfish...ahem, yes mister, we'll go through and regain contact for ye. Though we are lacking on supplies, so could ye tell us of any shops since we lack rations and some of us(glancing at Lawf'okong) take a good bit of food to keep alive."

The man said," Well, then you should go to Munxip's shop. Oh, and my name's Guth'alak. Good luck, and your reward may be great if you succeed...."
Portrait
PeanutGod
Registered user
Lord of Misery

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 at 00:30 (GMT -5)

“Thank you kind sir,”” said Ramirez, deciding that he might have to use some of his with and charm along this journey if he was going to be able to succeed. “Might we intrude upon thee to tell us the location of this shop?”

“Of course,” replied the druid. “You see that small building over there? That’s the one.”

“Our thanks again sir” said Ramirez, bowing and taking some steps back. He raised his eyebrows at his companions as if to say ‘Ha, I can be polite if I damn well need to be’ and strutted off in the direction of the shop with the others shrugging and following suit,

Jangling the gold in his pocket, Ramirez whistled an old tune to himself as he stepped through the shops doorway. A large portly chap with large smile on his face greeted him with a curt nod as he entered, and nodded to all of the other companions as they entered. It was plain to see that the orc and the troll were slightly hungry and Ramirez quickly stepped to one side in case he was killed in the rush to get some rations. Not being fussy he looked around at the items on sale, noting a giant rat corpse, some herb seeds and a few bones amongst the rations. Not being fussy, he grabbed a couple of the smaller rations for himself and was about to turn to the counter, when he heard a voice from behind saying…

-----

Ladies and Gentleman, take my advice. Pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 at 07:23 (GMT -5)

"Ye better pay fer those, I'm not too fond of thieves."Ramirez responded,"If I wanted to steal them, you'd already be dead by now...."The man laughed," I doubt it. I'm a LOT stronger than I look. I'm Munxip, the owner of this shop. You see that gong over there?"(motioning to it on the wall)"If I ring that gong there's no chance of survival for ye anyways, oh, and here's the sheriff."

A somewhat muscular man swaggered in saying,"This motley crew giving you any trouble, Munxip? The law must be obeyed, or my name isn't Twyatt Pyare.""There'll be no need for violence sheriff, they're harmless."

Ramirez laughed a sinister laugh saying,"Yeah, then why is all of your money missing, Munxip?Lost it already, haha"Ramirez hands back moneybag."I'm a force to be reckoned with, and so are the rest of us."

Jarlan interrupted saying,"C'mon Ramirez, we got things to do, and Lawf'okong's getting impatient along with that lil dwarf...."

Ramirez snickered," Yeah, that troll can wait, won't do him any harm. Either ways you two(gesturing to sheriff and Munxip), this isn't the last you've seen of me...."
F50
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 at 08:49 (GMT -5)

Thurgin and Lawf'okong bought the rations quietly. After quick chat with Guth'Alak they left. Lawf'okong stayed behind Ramirez to prevent his mouthing off.

"I'm not above killing you if you do anything stupid." Thurgin threatened Ramirez.

The travel towards the small cave was uneventful. However, the small cave itself was going to be more than they bargained for.

On the stairs were two scrolls, one read "Time is working against you!" and the other "You are 127 paces from your goal".

"I hope that this is not why the townsfolk have lost connection with the high mountain village." said Thurgin in apprehension. for the first while it seemed normal. They came across a small tension room of rats and they found the blanket. The stairs must be on the other side of this dungeon.

"These rats are ridiculous! I hit that one square on!"

"This is indeed strange." replied Lawf'okong.

"Well, I found the staircase." said Ramierez "This Blink dog may be a problem though. Ehem, Blink dogs."

Thurgin ran down the staircase. He was lawful, he needn't worry about blink dogs.

"Oh dear." Thurgin muttered to himself "This will be a problem."

While the rest of them were upstairs, Thurgin was standing in front of a single, neutral, altar.

-Maelstrom
Cat Lord Lord
Registered user
Not really

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 at 13:34 (GMT -5)

"Guys? Hello? Sure, don't help the guy who's getting swarmed by little yellow fur-balls." The troll turned and saw where there was once one dog, now the room was filled with them. They didn't seem to happy about Ramirez... Ramirez grinned and said "Gotta run, good luck." jumping out from a corner and sprinting down the stairs. Luckily nothing followed him.

Expecting to be beset by fur-balls, the troll readied his spells, but nothing came at him. Looking around, the dogs were barking playfully, and two were chasing the others' tails. Breathing a sigh of relief, he went down making sure nothing followed him.

"Oh gods, we are unlucky. I can't touch that, paladins are forbidden from touching anything other then the purist white altars." The dwarf said bowing. Jarlgan hawked and spat on the altar "Damn gods, they'll burn."

The dwarf had his axe out in a second and would have swung if the troll had not come between them "Brother, put down your axe. What he did was unforgivable, but it is not your job to punish him. Won't your gods do it?"

Ramirez walked over on the altar seeing if there was anything he could take, and was standing on it when he heard a rough gutteral sound. Suddenly a pair of strong arms threw him to the ground on the side when the altar was consumed in flames. A short ratish figure with a rapier stood in the doorway with his arms up to the heavens. The dwarf was on top of him, having pushed him off the altar.

A roar came from the orc, rushing at the creature his sword raised. The creature came to, and hit the sword to the side. Ramirez stood up, and calmly stood a dagger on his finger. A simple motion and the knife buried itself in the creatures back. It gave a cry and fell. The orc walked over and retrieved his sword. "Thanks dwarf" the assassin said, and walked over to check the pockets of the creature. He found...
-My brother

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/14/2007 at 09:37 (GMT -5) by Cat Lord Lord]
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 at 14:21 (GMT -5)

...a several rings, all of which he greedily shoved in his pockets, never thinking that one of them may hold some mysterious power, as Thurgin and Jarlgan argued over what alignment to change the altar to, until Lawf'okong shouted,"Enough already you two, there's only one way to decide this-a test of mental and physical strength-
Rock-parchment-daggers!!!"

Ramirez looked over his shoulder at the fools thinking"Rock-Parchment-Daggers?? What were they going to think of next? Sliced bread?"

Luckily for Thurgin, he won.He swaggered over to the altar and offered 3000 gold pieces which burst into flame as Ramirez looked at the money as if losing a child. Thurgin dropped his water on the altar and blessed the group's equipment.

Jarlgan spoke:"We get dibs on da next altar, Thurgin, or else...."The troll said," Jarlgan, I come from a chaotic race as well, but I learned that the lawful path is the best. Maybe this journey will change your alignment, methinks."

Ramirez said," Enough lecturing Lawf'okong, let's get going, I hear something big,REALLY BIG........"
Portrait
PeanutGod
Registered user
Lord of Misery

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 at 05:53 (GMT -5)

A distant sound like that of a heavy drum filled the dungeon, its slow methodical beat imbuing the companion’s hearts with a sense of dread.

“What…..the hell is that?”

The question was asked by Ramirez, who was standing in the doorway of the room, peering down the corridor. He backed away, so that his back was to the far wall and crouched down, his right hand unsheathing his favourite dagger, his left rubbing the blade with a strange substance drawn out of a hidden pocket in his leather armour.

Jarlglan took a couple of steps back and ripped the huge *sword* from his back. Wielding it with both of his hands, he took up a fighting stance, His orcish eyes were slightly more accustomed to the darkness, but even he couldn’t make out what was coming towards them. He quickly took a look over his shoulder at the assassin crouched behind him. Ramirez felt some sort of kinship with the orc, even if he was a mad chaotic bastard. Neither of them were the lawful goody two shoes type, and they both liked to look after themselves. Whilst the other two were busy taking the moral high ground, Ramirez and Jarlglan weren’t afraid to kick back and deal with whatever came their way in the most ruthless way possible. Could this be the start of some sort of friendship?

Thurgin was tossing his battleaxe from hand to hand, a smile on his face as his dwarven blood longed for the sound and thrill of battle. Small, and yet extremely competent in his work, he was like a rock, willing to go every inch in order to come out the victor. His axe glowed with a white light, results of his previous blessing. He looked sideways at the troll. Strange that a creature of darkness should have found the light; but then the God’s moved in mysterious ways.

Lawf’okong was standing with his eyes close, lost in the magical mantra that all wizards are before a battle. Small white arcs of lightning danced around his fingers, as he drew upon his innate power to dispatch whatever was coming his way and threatening his goal.

The sound grew louder still and Thurgin’s dwarven eyes (which were well used to darkness of the dungeons) made out a shape coming towards them. Huge and bestial, its stomps became increasingly more thunderous until it burst through the door with a savage roar and was upon them. With a skin that was purple……white…….black……grey and eyes that seemed to bulge from its cranium it launched itself into action. The two front fighters, Thurgin and Jarglan launched themselves at the creature, weapons swinging wildly in an attempt to bring it down as quickly as possible. The beast turned its gaze to the orc, who suddenly became rooted to the spot. The dwarfs axe slashed a cut in its side, ripping the monsters attention away from its paralyzed prey and towards him instead.

“God alive,” muttered Ramirez to himself, who had never seen such an atrocity before. “WHAT THE HELL IS THAT THING?” he shouted at Lawf’okong.

“DORN BEAST,” the troll yelled back with an edge of both fear and exhilaration in his voice. “DON’T LOOK INTO IT’S EYES.”

The Dorn Beast attacked Thurgin who was doing his best to avoid the monsters stare and combat it at the same time. Taking the opportunity, Ramirez barrelled forward and knocked the orc backwards into the wall to remove him from the fray. Whatever paralyzation had taken hold of his limbs evaporated as he was drawn clear. Time seemed to slow as the assassin and the barbarian looked at each for the briefest of seconds, the orc both recognizing the fact that the assassin may have saved his life whilst putting his own at risk. Then the assassin was off, skirting around the dungeon walls in the shadows. Jarlglan hefted his huge sword once more, and then launched back into the action. His blade took a chunk from the beast’s side as he roared his own battlecry.

Lawf’okong summoned up his energy and then let lose with a bolt of acid that caused the air to be filled with noxious fumes. The Dorn beast roared as parts of its skin hissed and bubbled from the acid; but it still had a tremendous amount of energy left. Lawf’okong smiled inwardly and launched yet another barrage of acid, this time being rewarded with the sound of an almost critically wounded animal.

In the shadows, Ramirez waited for his opportune moment. The battle lulled for only a second and he threw his dagger with all his might. The dagger flew true, burying itself in the eye socket of the monster. A terrible roar filled the room as the creature suddenly felt the effects of poison working through its veins. However, Ramirez realised a few seconds too late that his own attack had brought him a little too close to the beast itself. The Dorn Beast whirled around at its new enemy and struck Ramirez a blow to the chest that lifted him high and slammed him into the wall. He could feel the blood oozing down his chest, and his senses addled as he tried to regain his composure. As he struggled to rise he saw the troll launch a myriad of cobwebs at the creature, hoping to slow its actions. The dwarf and the orc were still standing tall, their weapons slashing as they tried to bring down this deadly monster once and for all. Ramirez felt himself being pulled upright, and looked up through groggy eyes. The orc was holding him up and then pushed him backwards to remove him from the beast’s vicinity. Ramirez nodded at him, realising that he was now one for one with the orc, both of them having saved each others skin.

The battle raged on……

----

Ladies and Gentleman, take my advice. Pul down your pants, and slide on the ice.

F50
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 at 09:45 (GMT -5)

"I can't fight while averting my gaze at the same time! Bah!" Thurgin said. He read a scroll. Everything went black. Thurgin and Jarglan were well prepared for this, but Ramirez was not. With nothing else to do he took his stand by Lawf'okong who was now casting webs instead of acid. Soon enough the Dorn Beast fell.

"Well, that was an adventure. Ok, single file constant speed."

And so the company finally descended to the second level of the seemingly unremarkable dungeon. The second level sported some herbs. It passed quite uneventfully. The next sported a shop. A book shop as it were. Unfortunately, since it had dark elven shopkeeper and they only had 3200 gold pieces left in Ramirez's purse they decided to give the shop a miss for the moment. They told themselves that they would return later. A tension room of goblins also resided on that level. Lawf'okong didn't bother wasting spells there. They then descended to the fourth level

What sounded very much like a waterfall echoed about the chambers.
"Errr, how many of you guys can swim?" asked Thurgin. "I can, not that I'm very good at it."

"We also have only one blanket." remarked Lawf'okong.

-Maelstrom
Cat Lord Lord
Registered user
Not really

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 at 09:47 (GMT -5)

"Blanket? BLANKET?! What the hell does a blanket do if we can't swim? Even if we could... a blanket..." the orc pointed out rolling his eyes.

Ramirez snickered and replied "Nothing, because we only have one. Way I see it, we need to get across. So, we can swim, walk, or teleport. I never liked the last, and you and the big fellow over there can't swim, so we get to walk across."

The dwarf rolled his eyes and said, "Walking across the river. Ye gods, I thought you were smart." The human calmly replied "I'm not? We can build a bridge," eying the trolls huge frame "Or not.

The troll calmly replied "It could be done... I saw a book of frost bolt at the book shop. Cost's a might fine dollar, we would need 3000 gold. Any idea where we could get that much?" the all looked at Ramirez who laughed and shook his head.

The dwarf thought for a moment and said, "Well, the sheriff was offering a reward..."

-My brother

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/14/2007 at 11:14 (GMT -5) by Cat Lord Lord]
Portrait
PeanutGod
Registered user
Lord of Misery

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 at 09:56 (GMT -5)

“Bugger the sheriff for a moment. I’ve got an idea. But only one blanket? For the love of….,” Ramirez trailed off, shaking his head at the pathetic state of their equipment. He started to remove his valuables, including his leather armour and his favourite daggers.

“What do you think you’re doing?” asked Lawf’okong, staring at the assassin with an eyebrow raised.

“What does it look like I’m doing? Hosting a tea party? You want a swimmer, you’ve got one. I’m no Kerun Von Derstadt, the champion…….”

“Who?” butted in the dwarf.

“Kerun Von Derstadt. He’s a famous swimmer from my old town. Surely you’ve heard of him?”

His three travelling companions looked at him clueless, and he sighed in exaggerated fashion.

“I thought everyone had heard of old Dersy, Anyway, that’s beside the point. I’m a good swimmer, although its been a while. And the thing is, I’m still going to have to get MY gear across there. Let me think about this.”

He stepped forward tentatively to the waters edge and looked at the other side. It didn’t seem that far away, but then he knew that once he was in the water, it would look a lot further. He turned his back to the water and approached Jarlglan. Handing him his leather armour he turned and pointed back to the other side of the river.

“D’ya reckon you could throw this over the other side big guy?”

Jarglan grunted and took the leather armour from him. With a short run up, he heaved the leather armour upwards and outwards and they all watched without a word as it sailed through the air and clattered onto the ground on the nearside.

“Good throw old boy. Now, I’ll just toss this across.” He took one of his daggers and with an athletic jog he hurled it across. The sound of metal rang out as the dagger hit the stonework.

“Brilliant. Now, someone is going to have to look after my gold. And I want it back mind. I know how much is in there exactly. And also someone needs to look after my other gear. You can sort all that out amongst you.”

Jogging on the spot and doing some rather elaborate stretching exercises, Ramirez took a small run and dived head first into the river. He entered the water without causing a ripple and then resurfaced a few meters away.

“You know something, its bloody cold in here.”

“Well next time you should think before you jump,” said Lawf’okong. “Now since you’re in there anyway, why don’t you hurry up and get to the otherside?”

“Yeah yeah, calm down.”

Ramirez started to swim towards the other side; his sinewy arms gliding through the water. Midway across the river he started to drift and then suddenly shot downstream.

“UNDERCURRENT,” he yelled, battling against the water and praying to all the gods he knew that he didn’t end up as fish food. Kicking out with all of his power, he took a gulp of air and pushed for the other side. The corridor he had previously been aiming for was now too far away for him to reach, so he looked for another spot. Noticing another alcove further downstream, he allowed the current to carry him down. Just before the niches edge, he swam towards it, and latched onto a large rock. Catching his breath he pulled himself out of the water and tried to shake off the excess. He looked back upstream, hoping to see his travelling partners but all he could see was a gloomy darkness.

“You chaps still up there?” he shouted, listening as his voice echoed off the walls all around him.

“Aye lad, we’re still here.” The voice that drifted back was that of the dwarfs he was sure.

“Give me a few minutes, I’ll go and retrieve my things and then look around." Shivering, he slowly made his way down the long corridor that linked to the river. He could hear a chattering in the distance and hurried his pace. He emerged in a small room, which had a faint odour of carrots about it. A rat was busy gnawing on a bone in one corner, and he also made out a vial of liquid lying nearby. He sidled over to the vial without disturbing the rat and scooped it up. Having no idea what it contained, he held onto it and then looked around for an exit. Another corridor ran off to the left from where he originally came and he walked towards it. The rat looked up at him, its beady eyes gleaming and then it decided to attack. Ramirez turned around and laid a hefty boot right into it before running off down the corridor. He reached another crossroad, took the left option and found himself on the opposite side of the river to his companions.

“Hi guys. Isn’t this fun?” he said with a small wave. He picked up his armour, strapped it on and then retrieved his dagger. “I’ll go and look around to see what I can find.”

He wandered off back down the corridor and stumbled across the rat that he had kicked moments before. It scurried towards him again, but this time his dagger did the talking for him, and it lay dead. Stepping over it he carried on forwards, keeping himself close to wall in order to avoid any unnecessary danger. The cross roads came again and he carried on forwards, coming to another room. Two hobgoblins were busy arguing over the owner of a pair of boots.

“Boots mine Sneegroth. Finds your own you hear?” screeched one of them, shoving the other back and trying his hardest to look menacing. The one named Sneegroth whipped out a battered sword and pointed it at his partner. “Boots mine Grahera, mine mine.”

“Excuse me chaps,” said Ramirez, stepping into view. The two hobgoblins turned and the one called Grahera fell with Ramirez’ dagger stuck in his gut. Sneegroth looked at his dead friend, looked at the boots, looked back at the assassin and then ran.

“Cowardly bunch” thought the assassin, retrieving his dagger and then picking up the boots. They looked well made, from soft leather. Slipping them on, he felt nothing special as such but could have sworn he was moving faster than normal. Shrugging, he went back on his merry way. He walked back to the crossroads and then took the only option left to him. Turning right, he walked into yet another room, saw a book lying on the floor, an ogre picking something from its teeth, a small shield tossed into a corner and pile of gold in front of him. His dagger snaked out and he approached the ogre with lips pursed together and death on his mind. The ogre swung around roaring, a huge club swinging straight for him. Ramirez danced around the attack and jumped forward with his dagger. He stuck the ogre once, twice and then backed off, circling his opponent and hoping it soon fell over. The ogre clenched a fist over the torrent of blood that was pouring from its chest and staggered. Its body convulsed as poison started to work through its veins. Taking a threatening step towards the assassin, it raised its club and then fell forward, hitting the ground with a thud. Thanking his lucky stars, Ramirez kicked the ogre’s dead body to make sure it really had passed on before looking through its possessions. A square key, another potion, an apple and a club all came into his possession. Securing all the pieces about his person he turned back the way he came and headed towards his companions. They were still there on the other side of the bank. Lawf’okong and the dwarf were discussing the finer points of Law, and the orc was cleaning his weapons. Ramirez jumped up and down to catch their attention.

“Chaps, I’ve been looking around and not found that much special. A rat tried to kill me, but I kicked it in the ribs, and then an Ogre tried to have me for lunch. But I’m alright so don’t worry. On the plus side I have found a few bits and bobs. A couple of potions of some sort, this battered old club, a small key, these nifty new boots which I’ll not be letting go off for a while and an apple. Oh……..and I found this book. I’ve got no clue as to what its about, its all foreign to me.”

At the mention of a book, Lawf’okong became instantly interested.

“So there, what do you want me to do now? I don’t really want to risk that current again to be honest, and without a blanket, I can’t protect the book from getting soaked. We’ve got a bit of a conundrum here and no mistake. Any ideas?” He pulled the apple from his armour and began to munch on it as the others thought about what to do.

------

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/14/2007 at 11:02 (GMT -5) by PeanutGod]
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 at 12:00 (GMT -5)

Lawf'okong yelled,"Can you throw the book over here? It may be a book of frost bolt!"
Ramirez yelled back,"No, it's too heavy...wait!!!I know!Crumple a scroll of identify and throw it over here or attach it to a rock or somethin' and I'll identify it..."

After Jarlgan got it attached , the scroll landed right next to Ramirez. It's a pity though, because he didn't get a chance to read it because he was distracted by the screams of angry and sad ogres.....

F50
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 at 10:04 (GMT -5)

"Alright, I could possibly make it across. Anyways we need that book. Give me all of your possessions. I can swim. I've seen frost bolt so we don't need to waste that scroll if I get over there." said a reluctant dwarf.

"*You* can swim!?" asked Jarlgan

"*I* can swim."

"Why didn't you tell me that in the first place"

"I did!"

Thurgin wasn't able to carry *all* of their possessions, but he was able to carry a significant number.

Thurgin reached the other side much drained. In fact though he could swim, he neglected to repeat that he couldn't swim *well*. He was drowning most of the way. Despite the current Thurgin was able to reach Ramirez's position. That may have had something to do with that fact that he was underwater most of the time.

Ramirez was facing a large Ogre. The spellbook, Thurgin realized was not that of nether (frost) bolt but freezing fury (frost ball). Thurgin dared not attempt to learn the spell.

Thurgin wrapped the spellbook in the blanket.

-Maelstrom

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/15/2007 at 13:26 (GMT -5) by F50]
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 at 10:55 (GMT -5)

Thurgin decided that desperate times called for desperate measures and yelled over the roar of the river," Lawf'okong, this book is not arcane!!!Do you still want it?!?"

"There are lives at stake, just throw the book!!!"

Thurgin backed up, ran forward and the book landed right in the palm of Lawf'okong's hand. He quickly read a page and yelled,"Everyone back up-this could be dangerous..." As an enourmous icy mist erupted from his hands that froze a LOT of the river.

Thurgin and Ramirez ran back across the bridge, but Thurgin had to give Ramirez some of his stuff, since he was carrying alot.

With the sound of ogres coming, Jarlgan had an idea:"Lawf'okong, since you're the heaviest, take all of our things and stand on that large patch of ice that's acting as a bridge fer now..."

Lawf'okong did as Jarlgan said quickly and the ice quickly started to break and Lawf'okong barely made it back to shore.The ogres across yelled and threw rocks at them with their slings and Lawf'okong shot webs at them, with made them even more angry until something larger started to scare them....

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/15/2007 at 11:02 (GMT -5) by nOOb-mAsTeR]
F50
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 at 16:34 (GMT -5)

They did not hang around to find out, however. Soon the party crossed somewhere else and found the down staircase. On deeper levels they found a forge, some more herbs, and several tension/threatening rooms. Nothing happened of interest until the eighth level of the dungeon.

-Maelstrom
Portrait
PeanutGod
Registered user
Lord of Misery

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 at 09:48 (GMT -5)

“Does anyone else feel rather weird?” asked Ramirez as they left the seventh level of the dungeon and descended to the eighth floor. “I feel kind of……..well…..excited to be honest.”

“You’re not the only one,” replied Thurgin glancing at the assassin. His thick fingers combed through his beard thoughtfully. “And I’ll wager something is amiss down here.”

“Now that you mention it, I do feel a bit peculiar” said Lawf’okong. “How about you Jarglan?”

The orc grunted a reply that none of them could understand. However, from the way he un-strapped his large meat cleaver they gathered that he to felt slightly strange. Taking their time and erring on the side of caution they proceeded. At the base of the stairs, a gnoll and two bugbears lurked, but they were easily dispatched by the large orc before the others had even a chance to react. Quick as a flash, Ramirez was over to the corpses and stealing everything valuable he could find. One bugbear has obviously been a fan of shiny rocks, judging by the small selection that Ramirez found in his dirt smeared tunic. Hefting the gems for weight and holding them up to see their colour, he smiled and dropped them into one of the many pouches he had hanging from his waist. The other bugbear had a scroll, which Ramirez took one look at and tossed towards Lawf’okong. The gnoll on the other hand, had obviously been some kind of chieftain from the way he was dressed, and judging from the items he carried. A small pouch of gold, a ring crafted from red and blue agate, a tiny tome, a large sword that looked as if it was the work of a master craftsmen and a small dagger that felt as though it had been made of ice. The gold went straight into their treasury, a leather bag that was hidden inside his armour. He then turned around to his companions and told them to gather around.

“Got to love the haul lads. I’ve no idea what some of these things are but we might as well share them out. Lawf’, since you’re the wizard around here, you might as well have the book. Thurgin, fancy a ring? Here catch. Jarl my good man, you can have this beast of a sword if you like. I might as well have the dagger since that’s my preferred weapon. Unfortunately, we’re going to have to work out what these things do ourselves, unless we’ve got a spare scroll handy. But we can sort that out at a later time. Right now I want to get moving because I definitely don’t feel normal standing here. I feel all tingly.”

He waited for his companions to pack their new items and then they slowly made their way down the corridor. The paved path eventually brought them to a door which was locked tight. The dwarf admired the way it was put together, whilst Ramirez and Lawf’okong conversed as to how they could get it open. Ramirez had neither a lock picking kit nor the skill, and Lawf’okong had no spells that could open it.

*CRASH*

Thurgin, Lawf’okong and Ramirez instantly swung their heads to see what had happened. The door was open, although open was not the only thing it was. It was hanging from its hinges. Jarglan stood next to it with his foot outstretched.

“Kicking works,” he said with a satisfied nod.

“Are you crazy? That could have been trapped!” Lawf’okong tried his level best to stop from yelling.

“It could’ve been, but it wasn’t. So let’s move” said Jarglan, already stepping over the wooden remains. Ramirez nodded, approving of the orc’s style. Sometimes brute force did solve the problem. He followed suit, allowing the paladin to proceed ahead of him. The wizard was still shaking his head but followed after them.

They entered a large room which was completely empty aside from a lot of bones stuck in the walls. It felt like a tomb of some sort. Not staying around to find out they moved on, and came to a small room with a set of stairs that led upwards.
“Well it looks like we found the exit to this god forsaken hell hole,” remarked Ramirez looking around to see if he could spot anything more.

“Aye, but why do I feel so damned uncomfortable now,” muttered the dwarf. Stumping around the room he started to look around the walls which were covered in cracks.

“Look at this,” Thurgin exclaimed, beckoning them all over. The wall had been cleverly constructed to house a door. The wooden surface had been covered with rock in order to disguise it from the casual eye, but a dwarf always knows his stonework. A gnarled hand reached out to push it forward and it swung open revealing a long passage.

“What’s down there do you think?” asked Jarlglan, already hefting his blade.

“No idea, but I swear I can hear something of some kind,” said Thurgin.

“Thankfully we have a talented scout in our midst. Off you go Ramirez,” grinned Lawf’okong, prodding him in the back.

“Me? Why should I go down there?”

“Scared?”

“Me? Scared? Pah. In your dreams laddie. FINE! I’ll go and have a look.” Shoving his was past the dwarf, the assassin disappeared from view. The three of them waited for him to return, Lawf’okong looking the tiny book intently, Thurgin still studying the fine craftsmen ship of the door and Jarlglan stepping from foot to foot; anxious to start killing something.

Minutes passed and then Ramirez returned. Pale faced and eyes wide he drew them together and then whispered.

“Listen, we need to get out of here. I don’t doubt the abilities of this group, but we can’t handle what’s down there. That feeling we all felt when we came down the stairs? It intensifies down that corridor.”

“What’s down there? Monsters?” said Jarlglan with a gleam in his eye.

“Aye, but monsters that will tear us limb from limb. I’m an arrogant bastard, I know that. But even I’m not stupid to boast that I could kill these things. There’s a walking suit of armour, a golem made of some kind of metal, a swirling mass of acid that seemed to move around and a huge bull that was exhaling some kind of fumes. A gorgon I think it is. Anyway, I am not, I repeat…..NOT……..going down there. Not now anyway, maybe in the future when I know I’ve improved.”

“A wise idea,” said Lawf’okong. “My suggestion is that we ascend these steps, see what’s up there, and then hold counsel. We could all do with some rest, and it would be a fine time to exchange ideas and maybe get to know each other a little more.”

“Aye, sounds sensible,” nodded Ramiez. The dwarf and the orc both dipped their heads in agreement.

“Right then, up we go,” announced the troll.

Giving the corridor one last glance, Ramirez followed his companions up the stairs. The steps became muddier as they climbed, and the moss levels on each one increased the higher they went. Soon they reached the summit and found themselves on the side of a mountain.

“Praise the Gods, fresh air!” shouted Ramirez, whooping with joy and punching his fist in delight. The others all looked at him,

“Look, I’m a human. I live up top, not underground. Doesn’t feel that good you know?” Anyway, if I’m correct, which is most of the time; I see a town of some sort over yonder. It looks to be a fair few hours away thought. I suggest we head towards it and then palaver some more. Besides, I’m desperate for a good meal.”

He strutted off, launching into an old song that his father had taught him in his youth. Swinging his arms by his sides he kept the lights of the town in his sights.

“Oooooooohhhh, I’m a weaponsmith and I’m ok….....I sleep all night and I work all day……..”

The others followed……

--------

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/16/2007 at 11:48 (GMT -5) by PeanutGod]
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4211 days, 23 hours, 32 minutes and 11 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 at 14:10 (GMT -5)

They emerged from the caverns onto a hilly outcrop under the cloak of night. Thurgin looked around at what appeared to be a small valley nestled amongst the tall mountains. In the distance he could descry the lights of a fortressed village atop a high hill. This must be the High Mountain Village they had been told about. He glanced back at the caverns they’d just emerged from. It was obvious why Terinyo had lost contact with this distant place. Certainly the passageways were of good rock and solid stonework, but they were infested with evil creatures of all shapes and sizes. He imagined there must be camps of kobolds and orcs throughout the surrounding hills, not to mention wandering beasts and wild animals. It would be impossible to fully clear out those caverns to re-establish the trade route. Perhaps there was some other road that could be used?

It was getting colder, so the party decided to try and make it to the village and stay there for the night. Ramirez had some trouble keeping up with the other three, who were obviously all from familiar mountain habitats. As sharp as his eyes were he didn’t have as good night vision as the others for picking his way through the treacherous rocky terrain. Still, it would not do to complain and make himself look weak, so he struggled on and hid any sign that he was having difficulty. He began to sing out loud a song he knew from childhood, and Thurgin’s brow creased as he pieced together the lyrics in his head. A great many dwarves in his family had been accomplished smiths, and he was not a bad hand with the hammer and anvil himself. But some of the things Ramirez was singing of were very peculiar. This was most certainly not the dwarven way! Humans were strange indeed, he decided...

After a couple of hours toil they could make out more clearly the solid walls surrounding the village, and around it a moat of water that seemed to source itself from a small stream to the north-east. Situated in such a dangerous position it was obvious the town took precautions to defend itself. As they approached the northern parapet they heard some shouting from around the wall to their right. Suddenly there was a loud crashing sound, followed a high-pitched wail. “Someone is in trouble!” exclaimed Thurgin, and he and Lawf ’okong rushed off to help. Ramirez glanced over at Jarlgan, who simply shrugged, and they both followed behind out of curiosity.

Turning the corner they saw a tall elf with white hair waving his arms and exclaiming in front of a giant creature that seemed to be made out of the rock itself. “What is that thing?” Ramirez quietly asked Jarlgan, having never seen one before.

“A stone giant. Quite a big one too by the looks of it. You tend to get them in high mountains, though thankfully they’re rare where I’m from.” Ramirez raised his eyebrow and looked the creature over. At over 20 feet tall the term “giant” certainly applied, and it really did look as tough as the stony mountains surrounding them. “Heh, don’t you be thinkin’ of attacking him mind,” continued the orc. “Your poison won’t work if it can’t pierce through its skin. And believe me, you’d be breaking your dagger trying to do that.” Ramirez narrowed his eyes but nodded slightly in reluctant acquiescence. Something within him told him his goal should be to be able to slay such creatures with ease...

The humongous figure opened its mouth in a sudden deafening yell like an avalanche. “You elven crook! Give back my gold!!”

“Now now!” replied the elf, trying to calm the monster down. “This is all a misunderstanding see? Perhaps you just need to buy an extra dose? Only 100 gold!”

At this the stone giant roared with anger, and it seemed like the ground beneath them might crumble under the shock. He raised up his club (which looked to be fashioned out of the trunk of a pine tree) and brought it crashing down, but the elf nimbly darted to the side. The club smashed into the ground, spraying dirt around and leaving a crater about 6 feet wide.

“Hmm...” said the elf. “Perhaps 90 gold pieces would suit you better?”

The stone giant’s eyes seemed to glow red with rage, and he quickly rose his club up above his head to strike again. But on a sudden there was a flash of pink with a flutter of blue, and after a high-pitched chant the stone giant instantly vanished. The elf chuckled and brushed his hands together.

“Nice work, Loli,” he said as he turned around. Then he suddenly stopped as he saw the four adventurers looking on with wonderment. He returned a look of inquisitiveness as he glanced over the party. “What do we have here? A human, an orc and a dwarf all travelling together? Are you some sort of roaming circus perchance?” he said with a smile, though he didn’t get any back. “And what’s this?” He turned to the large dark figure nearest him, and suddenly let out a yelp. “Egads, it’s a troll! A real, live troll! What are you doing with this beast?! Why the thing isn’t even in chains!”

Lawf ’okong drew himself up in anger. “This ‘thing’ has a name, you know!”

The elf’s jaw dropped. “It... it can talk!” he said in amazement.

The troll growled and crossed his arms. “Yes, master elf, I am fully capable of intelligent discourse in several languages, including your own tongue. Alaha mar abias!”

The elf winced slightly to hear the beautiful words spoken in such a guttural voice, but was impressed nonetheless. He gave the troll a closer inspection and saw the glints of intelligence and wisdom in its eyes, and what’s more an aura of goodliness about him. He noticed also the array of pouches, vials and books underneath the creature’s cloak, and decided that here must be someone well acquainted with magic too. He bowed slightly. “Forgive me, good sir, it seems I have gravely misjudged you. Where I am from trolls are known only as beasts and terrors of the night. But if I am not mistaken standing before me is a master of the great Art, and for that you have my most humble respect.”

The troll chuckled at the flattery. “That I am, and you would do well to remember not to judge a book by its cover. But your prejudice is understandable – many of my race are warlike and ignorant. Luckily I have the blessing of Ka'Omsh to guide me down a more noble path. My name is Lawf ’okong, and these are my friends.”

The elf smiled. “Tarindil Nomaeis is my name, a master of music from the city of Finduras. Pleased to meet your acquaintance.” He bowed low.

Ramirez look over the elf suspiciously. He was tall, close to seven feet, with long silver-white hair and aqua-blue eyes. His well-fitted clothes looked expensive, though rather useless for defence, and at his side was a bright sword nestled in a scabbard. Across his back was slung a small pack and two exquisite looking mandolins. He quickly decided the elf must come from a wealthy family, and probably wasn’t very strong or experienced. He wouldn’t last long in a fight. “What just happened back there with that stone giant?” he asked coldly.

Tarindil scratched his head. “Ah, with old Knngrormmbg?”

Ramirez balked at such a name – how on Arcardia did the elf manage to pronounce that?

“Hmm... Knngrormmbg,” repeated the dwarf. “Good strong name for a giant that.”

“Yes,” agreed the troll. “Very solid name, Knngrormmbg, perhaps of nobility. Given the stone giant’s stature I wouldn’t be surprised if he were a lord of some kind.” The orc nodded his head in agreement.

Ramirez was put back, but didn’t show it. “Well,” he addressed Tarindil accusingly. “Why did he call you a crook?”

The elf laughed nervously. “Just a bit of a misunderstanding you see... Knngrormmbg was down here from the mountains looking for some excitement on the town, and, well, he approached me looking for something that would make him a bit more, uh, hard... Unfortunately the item I sold him didn’t seem to work, and in spite of my offer for an extra dose at half the price he got angry and attacked me.”

The human raised his eyebrow suspiciously. He didn’t trust this elf an inch. “How did you make him disappear like that?”

“Ah, simple. I used teleportation magic!” said Tarindil, flexing his hands.

Ramirez could tell he was lying. He was about to press further when he heard a shout from his left – it was Jarlgan. The orc was screaming and cursing at some small pink thing that seemed to poking at his pack. Jarlgan drew his knife and slashed at the creature, but it suddenly vanished and reappeared right in front of his head. As he went to slash upwards he was hit in the face by a powerful gush of water. He snarled as the creature disappeared again, and spun round as he heard the elf laughing loudly. Wiping the water out of his eyes he saw that the pink thing was now hovering behind Tarindil, flapping its blue wings rapidly.

“Haha, it seems you’ve met my little friend. This is Loli, my fairy dragon. Say hello, Loli.”

The fairy dragon poked its head over the elf’s shoulder and spoke in a rapid, squeaky voice. “hiitsverynicetomeetyouall thisissoexcitingiwishiwasbigger”

“My apologies for the gush in the face, mister orc, though perhaps it will make you smell better,” mocked Tarindil.

The orc spat and snarled, “The name is Jarlgan, and you’d do well to remember it, elf!” He didn’t like the elf one bit – perhaps here was someone he could hate more than the stupid, arrogant dwarf and the abhorrent magic-using troll. He growled as he noticed the dwarf looking at him and chuckling softly.

“I think now we see the truth behind the stone giant’s disappearance,” said the dwarf in his low, gruff voice. “It was your fairy dragon that did it, was it not?” The elf smiled and nodded. “Well, you certainly seem to have some tricks about you, Tarindil. My name is Thurgin, and the human here is called Ramirez. Neither he nor Jarlgan are particularly trusting of new people, but once you get to know them they’re not so bad.”

“And are you a travelling circus, or is there a reason for such an oddball group to be adventuring together.”

The dwarf smiled beneath his beard. “At the moment we’re looking for a way to establish a safe link between an outside village and this town, but the dungeon we came through is too dangerous. I also am looking to investigate the incursion of chaos into our world after meeting a sage called Khelevaster who believed it to be coming from this Chain.”

The elf’s eyes lit up at the mention of the name. “Khelevaster?! So you have met him too!” He stood up straight and took on a more serious tone. “I too am seeking out the source of the corruption that is infesting our world. Perhaps we can join ways for a while to find out more?”

The dwarf nodded and smiled. “We would be glad to have you aboard, especially if you have any skill at that instrument on your back.” The troll also nodded in agreement but Jarlgan quickly objected.

“Who said anything about ‘we’? I don’t want any stinking elf travelling with us!”

“I agree,” said Ramirez. “Your pet dragon may have some little tricks to it, bard, but you yourself look weak and useless. You’d only slow us down.”

Tarindil chuckled and gave the assassin a challenging look. He gazed over him, seemingly counting in his head. “You have 4 daggers hidden under your clothing, correct? Are you any good at throwing them?”

Ramirez arched an eyebrow. He actually had 6, but he was still slightly impressed. “I can take a man’s eye out from 20 feet away,” he stated matter-of-factly.

The elf clapped his hands and laughed. “Good good! So do you think you could hit me at all from 10 feet away? Come, let’s try it!” He marched up closer to the human and stood waiting with a smile on his face.

Ramirez was obviously suspicious, but wasn’t too bothered if the elf had a death wish. He unsheathed his favourite dagger slowly, the blade blackened so that it didn’t reflect light in the darkness. “From that position I could hit your heart blindfolded. And if this blade so much as grazes your skin you are bound to die from the poison within minutes.” He drew his hand back ready to throw, but then he noticed his vision of the elf starting to blur, and realised the bard must be pulling some trick. Suddenly he heard the elf speaking from behind him, saying something like “Dubidu!” He spun round and threw quickly, aiming at the sound, and was satisfied to hear a yelp of surprise.

“Ramirez!” screamed the orc. “You almost hit me, you fool!”

Ramirez was confused. He looked around dazed, but his head was clouded. Suddenly he felt a shove from behind, and as he fell over he spun round and drew out two daggers. He shaked his head and quickly his senses returned to normal. The elf was standing over him with his arms crossed and smiling. “Still think I’m useless?”

The assassin growled. “Just a stupid trick! You could never pull it off twice!”

“Hmph. In a real fight I wouldn’t have to use it twice. You’d get no second chance – instead of simply pushing you I could have slit your throat.”

Ramirez looked into the elf’s mocking eyes and felt uneasy at the thought. A great anger was welling up inside him. He wanted to kill this arrogant elf right now. But others were around... It wasn’t his style... His chance would have to come later.

“Well?” asked Lawf ’okong. “Do you approve of him joining?”

Ramirez didn’t take his eyes away from the elf, but nodded his head nonetheless. “All right... You can join for now. But watch your back, because I won’t be watching it for you.” This elf would meet his blade yet...

Jarlgan muttered in disgust, but had no choice but to accept the majority decision. He was thinking in his own head about taking care of the elf. Plus that little fairy dragon could probably make him some decent money on the black market... “A proper circus we look now,” he muttered out loud.

“Well,” said Tarindil, “Now that that’s all settled, I should say that I can probably help you with your current problem. I know of another passageway to the High Mountain Village.”

“Oh?” said the dwarf with interest.

“I came to the Drakalor Chain about a week ago and went to see a minstrel that I’d heard tales of in the western woods. He told me many interesting things, including the location of a hidden tunnel through the mountains that would lead here. It’s hard to get to, and quite narrow, but it is safe. I can show you how to find it. However, right now it’s quite late, and the ratling guardians are unlikely to let us into town. I know of a good site near here if you would like to set up camp for the night.”

The others agreed, and they followed the bard to a spot nearby that was sheltered from the wind by an outcropping of rock. Tarindil made a fire, and Ramirez hunted down a deer (using a non-poisoned dagger, though the others made him eat a bit first to be sure). The human, the orc and the dwarf trained with their weapons together for a while. The elf and the troll talked for some time about magic, and Lawf ’okong showed the other some of his spellbooks. Tarindil had difficulty learning some of them, but was able to pick up some basic knowledge of Magic Missile and Web.

When the deer was cooked they sat around the fire and ate, and Thurgin passed round some dwarvish mead. When he had finished eating Tarindil picked up one of his mandolins and began to sing a tune. It was in elvish, and even Lawf ’okong had trouble following the words, but apart from Jarlgan they all enjoyed it. It reminded them of home, of the family and friends they had left behind or lost, and the comforts they were missing being stuck out in the wild.

After a while Ramirez felt something strange take over him. Perhaps it was the mead, or of some distant memory stirred up, but he got up and went over to sit beside the elf. He picked up a tambourine that was sitting on the ground and began to tap it lightly along with the tune. Tarindil looked over at him and smiled, but he did not smile back. It had been a long time since he had been like this, sitting around a fire enjoying the company of others, and it felt strange...

Later on the elf took first watch whilst the others went to sleep. After a while the fairy dragon stirred and looked up at him. “doyouthinkyoucantrustthem?”

He looked at around at the people he’d ended up with. The orc, the troll and the dwarf were all snoring loudly. The human was lying near the fire with his back turned, dead still apart from his slow, quiet breathing. “No... I don’t think I can. But I should follow the Minstrel’s advice:

‘Against chaos ye must take heed,
Companions ye shall need.
Seek out the village in the mountains high,
See there what friends you may descry.’

Of course he also said something about ‘Iceberg’, and I don’t know what that means, but it seems obvious he must have been referring to these four. Besides they can’t get me in more trouble that you have! What a foolish idea to try to pass off some carrot juice as a virility potion to that stone giant...”

“sorrymaster” the dragon said glumly. “butididfindyouthoseotheritems!”

“True...” said Tarindil quietly. He pulled out the items to look at them again. He had noticed that there seemed to be a hidden room behind the squared off walls, and had asked Loli to investigate. He’d returned with these two scrolls. One of them he dared not touch – he had the feeling it was dangerous. The other... this strange message...

He looked at it again now. The words “Scroll of Omnipotence” obviously stood out, and the “red rooster” seemed a strange mystery, but for him what was more important was the signature. “Alhacrast...” he said quietly, a touch of sadness and confusion in his voice. “I thought you were dead.”

Nearby Ramirez’s ears pricked, but he decided to keep pretending to be asleep. So, he thought, this elf was hiding items from them now... He knew he couldn’t be trusted. Still, he’d find out soon enough what was on that scroll. But Alhacrast? Where had he heard that name before...?

Later that night Ramirez’s shift finished and he went to wake up the orc. When Jarlgan awoke he glanced around, and seeing the other 3 asleep he quietly drew his sword. It was time to get rid of the elf problem...

But Ramirez stopped him and shook his head. “Not now...” he whispered. “I want to get more information out of him first. Besides, look around. Do you see his pet dragon anywhere?” The orc looked about and realised the pink creature was nowhere to be seen. “He may be arrogant,” continued the human, “But he’s not dumb enough to let his guard down yet. Give it time...”

The orc reluctantly agreed, and went to take up his post. But the rage continued within him. At one point in the night he drew his sword again and walked over to where the elf lay asleep. Perhaps it was just the wind, but he thought just then he could hear the flutter of wings in the distance. He sheathed his sword and went back to his post. Perhaps Ramirez was right... He’d made rash decisions before that had gotten him in trouble. As much as he hated to admit it the human did seem smarter and more level-headed than he was. He decided for now it was best to follow the friendly advice. The night wore on...
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 at 15:33 (GMT -5)

...Morning came, and the "circus" was sound asleep, until Loli decided to give them a shower:
SPLASH!!!

"Loli!!!!What have I told you about doing that?!?!Stop it this -ugh!" Ramirez laughed,"Looks like you have a loyal little pet!"

Lawf'okong rose,saying"Tarindil, could you show us through that town now?We could use some more supplies, and some information to regain contact as well." He responded," I'd love to but it looks like we have company..."

The group turned to face the stone giant lord that Tarindil upset.Immediately Lawf'okong and Tarindil shot webs at the giant while Ramirez climbed up his back so he had his daggers pointed at his eyes, his vulnerable spot . Then Thurgin spoke for the group:"Knngrormmbg, we do not wish to harm you, though we do not appreciate you sneaking up on us with a look of bloodlust in your eyes..."

"Knngrormmbg is angry!!!You pay with -AGGH!!!"-as two daggers were inserted into his eye sockets, he broke the webs in a blind rage and stumbled while groaning due to the poison as Thurgin yelled,"Why did you do that?!?" Ramirez laughed,"He would have killed us first, you fool!Besides, I dipped those daggers in potions of blindness, he'll be blind for life, provided he doesn't die of bleeding...."

The giant, realizing that for the first time ever , that his life may end, cried for mercy:"Please help poor Knngrormmbg, me give you valuable information!Please!"

Lawf'okong walked over to the giant and poured two potions on his eyes and his eyes healed extremely fast, but he was blind for life due to Ramirez's skill. The giant staggered for a second, and spoke:"Oh warriors, I owe you my life, since you have spared me mine.It is against my race's law to tell you where to find our palace but the palace is located in an ancient realm undiscovered by any race called the Volcano.If you manage to reach it, if you somehow find the ancient map that I went to that village to find, my superiors will reward you with artifacts of ancient power..."
F50
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 at 18:10 (GMT -5)

"Thank you. we will continue on our way." Thurgin replied.

They then proceeded to the passageway inside the High Mountain Village.

Despite Thurgin's amicable attitude he had no like for elves. Elves in general though were certainly not greatly disliked in his homeland. Jarlgan was another matter. Lawf'okong wouldn't be welcomed either, though Thurgin himself liked the troll. Thurgin would treat his chaotic companions well. At least until one of them tried something treacherous.

They emerged in an unfamiliar forest.

"Where is Terrinyo?" Jarlgan demanded.

"East, just across the river. We can-"

"JUST across the river! River!"

"sowhyisthataproblemtotheorc? isheafraidofthewetwetwater?"

-Maelstrom
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4211 days, 23 hours, 32 minutes and 11 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 at 04:22 (GMT -5)

Jarlgan grumbled about the river whilst Thurgin and Lawf'okong discussed ways to get across. Magic was no use against such a big river, and they’d certainly drown or lose much of their equipment if they tried to swim. Loli happily chirped in that he could easily fly over or swim through the river, being quite capable of breathing underwater. The others didn’t find this fact useful. Ramirez suggested that there might be a crossing downstream, or that the river might thin out somewhere, but Thurgin didn’t like the idea of having to walk that far.

Meanwhile Tarindil was distracted. He looked up at the colossal mountains to the north, and gazed westwards to where the peaks marched off into the distance. Whilst the others had their backs turned he took out the scroll and glanced at it quickly. Yes, this matched it all right... He had an idea now where the Volcano must be. But how on Ancardia could they get there? Then he shuddered slightly as he remembered the events that morning that had led to the revelation...

They were heading across the hilly terrain back towards the town, and he and Ramirez had fallen behind the others a bit. Loli was off scouting the area, making sure no more stone giants were around. Whilst his mind was wandering on other things he suddenly found himself being tripped up by Ramirez, with a blade being pressed against his throat.

“I heard you last night, about the scroll you found. It’s the map that giant told us about, isn’t it? That’s what you’re hiding from us!”

The elf smirked at the foolish human. “Don’t be ridiculous. This is something more personal... The giant said it was an ancient map, and I can assure you this message is not ancient.”

Ramirez looked at him suspiciously, but drew his dagger away. “Let me see.”

Tarindil got up and shrugged, taking the scroll out. “It’s an ancient parchment it’s written on certainly, but the message can’t be that old. The ink seems a few months fresh. Besides, I knew the author... Although...” The elf frowned and examined the scroll further, and then let out a gasp. “By Ayssia, what a fool I am!” Ramirez looked confused, but the bard continued to examine the scroll carefully. He had been so intent on the message that he never looked at what was beneath it, but now he looked more closely he could make out a map underneath in faded colours. It seemed to use symbols to represent different areas, with towns marked by circles, mountains with small arrows pointing upwards, and trees with some strange ancient & symbol. As far as Tarindil could tell it was a map of the Drakalor Chain. In the top left corner was a red V behind some mountains. “The... the volcano...”

Ramirez grabbed his hand so he could look at the scroll himself. He read the message:

"Dear Lubaf, I am sorry to disappoint you but you won't be able to find the Scroll of Omnipotence in this place. I have hidden it more effectively. You will need to find the red rooster at dawn. Then you'll encounter the final challenge.

With passionate hate,
Alhacrast, Overlord of Jak-Nagiur."

Jak-Nagiur? The Black City? He’d been there before... Scroll of Omnipotence? What did this mean? It all felt familiar somehow... Suddenly he felt a strange force pulsating inside him. He felt dizzy, and collapsed on the ground. He was seeing something... A dark palace... A man in black armour, blood on his sword, fire at his fingertips. The man looked at him. “You cannot beat me, fiend. I will get there first.” Everything went black...

Tarindil looked at the human with concern as he lay on the ground. Then Ramirez seemed to stir, and a hissing voice came out that was several octaves lower than usual. “Ssscroll... of... Omnipotence...” The face turned up and Tarindil realised that the human’s eyes had gone red. The bracelet on his wrist was glowing with an unholy light. He took a step back, suddenly feeling strangely frightened. Ramirez pulled himself up and came closer to the elf. Tarindil was taller than the human, but for some reason he felt very intimidated by the assassin now. The smell of sulphur was on his breath. “Wherre... isss... ittt...?” he demanded.

“I- I don’t know! This scroll... it has a message. Alhacrast... must have made some sort of code. I- I have to try and decipher it.”

Ramirez grinned and his teeth seemed sharper than usual. “Yooou... do that...”

“But... I don’t understand. Alhacrast is dead! I saw him hang myself!”

A demonic laugh erupted from the human. “Alhacrast? Hisss sorcery is toooo strong for that... But I willl get him... Find me the seeecret, elf.” With that Ramirez chuckled darkly, and suddenly dropped on the ground again.

The elf’s heartbeat was racing, but he controlled himself as Ramirez started to stir again. “Ugh... What happened?” said the human as he picked himself up.

“Hah!” said the elf grinning down at him. “You tried to take the scroll from me by force, so I hit you over the head. You should know better than to trifle with your superiors!” Ramirez frowned – that didn’t seem right. There was a strange taste in his mouth. Had he blacked out again? “You were right though,” said the elf, changing the topic quickly. “This is the map the giant talked of, though I didn’t realise it at first. Someone I used to know has written this message on it, and knowing him it’s no coincidence that he wrote on this map, nor will there be a coincidence as to the words used and how they are placed over the map. There’s a code behind this and I intend to decipher it... Tell me though, do you know of Alhacrast?”

Ramirez thought for a moment and nodded slightly. “Sort of... But I don’t think I’ve ever seen him in person. I used to live in Jak-Nagiur – there was a lot of work there for someone with my skills, and I learnt a lot there too. The city was ruled over by a dark sorcerer, who was known for having a high demand for human sacrifices. Nobody ever said his name though – we just called him the Overlord. I don’t know why though, but I think I know his name was Alhacrast.” Ramirez frowned then. “But how would you know of someone like him? All non-humans were banned from the city, and you’re hardly the sort to fraternize with dark wizards.”

Tarindil sighed and shook his head. “You forget how old I am, human. I used to know Alhacrast before he ever became any dark lord, and truth be told I never knew he ended up like that. I studied magic with him for a while under a renowned master. We were close friends, but it is strange I guess how quickly humans can change over the years... Last time I saw him was 90 years ago. He was hanging from the gallows for the murder of 3 children. How he is alive now I do not know...”

Ramirez raised his eyebrow. “There were rumours that the overlord made pacts with devils and demons, and that he could not die to any mortal force. Perhaps they were true...”

They stood quietly for a moment, contemplating what had been revealed. “Maybe we had best not tell the others for now,” said the elf. He didn’t want to get them wrapped up in this... Ramirez cautiously agreed – something inside him told him that was best.

Later on they caught up with everyone else and soon reached the village. Thurgin was keen to get going, so the elf showed them the secret passageway and they descended down the long, steep stairs.

Tarindil looked over at Ramirez. He seemed to be acting fine now. He glanced down at the strange bracelet about the man’s wrist. What hellish powers were contained in that thing?

"All right!" boomed Thurgin, shaking the elf out of his thoughts. "Back to the village! I'd rather go up those stairs and back through that dungeon than try to cross this river, and it'll be quicker than spending days travelling around it on foot."

Ramirez nodded in agreement. "Besides, we should check for more supplies there." The party trudged back towards the passage in the mountainside.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 2/3/2007 at 15:09 (GMT -5) by Darren Grey]
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 at 04:49 (GMT -5)

As they climbed the last of the long stairs, Thurgin said,"Ok, this time, let's not try to get ourselves killed by anything big..." as he accidentally bumped into a very large, and seemingly intelligent ogre.The ogre flicked Thurgin with is finger and the dwarf took it like a punch to the gut.The ogre chuckled at Thurgin's pain and said,"Me guarding prisoners.Prisoners no get out today.Funny little dwarf, haha!"

Jarlgan whispered to Ramirez,"Why does it always seem that we always deal large, stupid things?"Ramirez chuckled,"Like Lawf-Ouch!"as the ogre threw a rock at him."Me no likey you saying bad things about big races. Me speech may be bad, but I know more den you know."

"Fine then, could you please direct us to a shop for some supplies?"said Tarindil, not wanting to get them in any more fights.

"Go past the oracle woman, then you will see Farnkon, the village shopkeeper."

"Thank you, mighty ogre!"

The group walked to the shop and looked at the supplies, and for being a dwarf, he didn't seem to be racist against Lawf'okong and Jarlgan.Either way, Lawf'okong found a book called,"Magic Mapping", so he figured that may come in handy, while Ramirez found two grey daggers, which seemed to constantly poke him through his armor as he walked to the cashier register.

"That'll be 10,000 gold pieces total, sir."
"What?!?!These two daggers cost that much?!?!"
"Yes sir, they do, phase daggers, penetrate through armor, very nice indeed."
"Thurgin, how much money do we have?"
"Hmmm, 15,000 total"

The rest of the group brought over the items they wanted and they had 3,000 left after buying things.Lawf'okong said,"Okay,Ramirez.No more big spending like that every time you see something you like!"

Ramirez laughed,"Well, using that scroll of greater identify I also bought, turns out these are permanently poisoned phase daggers!"

Too bad for Ramirez though, since as he was walking backwards while talking about the daggers, the prisoners had just broken free and overwhelmed the ogre guard.....and were headed straight for Ramirez!

F50
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 at 09:03 (GMT -5)

Thurgin had been doing some reading. just minor punishment (magic missile) for the time being, he would have to train two more levels before he could go all out on the books without risking them blowing up in a huge fireball.
Thurgin grabbed one of Ramirez's new daggers and threw it at a karmic lizard. It missed.

"YOU IDIOT!" Ramirez shouted "YOU- Wha.."

Thurgin parried a blow for Ramirez. "Always watch your back. You of all people should know that."

Tarindil shot down the lizard. The rest of the prisoners were a mediocre challange. Thurgin wondered why they got past the Ogre in the first place.

They left the High mountain village and traveled back the way they had came. Thurgin and Lawf'okong planned to identify all of their items as soon as they had a potion of holy water from the altar they had found to bless their scrolls of identify.

That night they rested on the fifth level of that dungeon. Thurgin swore he saw the bracelet glow for a moment, so he kept careful watch that night.

Tarindil left the camp with a scroll. Ramirez soon got up as well. Gingerly, Thurgin woke Lawf'okong.

"Where is Tar-"

"ssshhh. Something is *wrong*. He and Ramirez left with a scroll."

-Maelstrom
Go to page 1 2 3 4

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: