Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / PICK-POCKETING?

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Yaggaz the fool
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 at 12:53 (GMT -5)

People talk about getting good stuff from pickpocketing... but I have never stolen anything better than a daggar. Can pickpocketing actually get good stuff? does it depend on the level of the pickpocketing skill and the enemy being stolen from?

Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5141 days, 10 hours, 34 minutes and 58 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 at 13:12 (GMT -5)

It's tiresome, but it is very worthwhile.
You obviously know of the reason to get pickpocket skill and try at least 20 times or so, but it should probably be used throughout the game whenevery one can.

You can only pickpocket stuff weighing 10s or less. So no heavy weapons, and no heavy armor. Which is often a good thing, no more useless "ugly clothes" or "club" or such.
But among the things you can pickpocket are:
Scrolls. Including Scroll of chaos resistance, scroll of education.
Potions. Including potions of gain attributes, potions of cure corruption
Amulets. Including amulets of life saving
Rings. Including rings of djinni summoning.

I've mentioned some really good stuff, but there are tons more to be had.

In my experience your pickpocketing skill only affects how many tries ("you fail"/"notices your attempt and becomes angry") you need before you either get the "seems to have nothing of value" or "you steal ...". The quality of item and the eventual chance of getting item as opposed to nothing of value is not affected, as far as I tested it. But I haven't tested this out specifically, it just "felt" that way. And anyway, follow my suggestion (pickpocket whenever safe) and your skill will quite easily climb high enough.

Treasure hunter does not seem to help at all (I'm pretty sure on this, did a quite long test)

The enemy being stolen from is not important, per se, it has to have pockets of course, but the important thing is WHERE it is pickpocketed. Danger level is what decides what kind of equipment you can get. But I have gotten potions of gain attributes anywhere, so it should always be tried. A few levels down in CoC or ID and really good stuff can be gotten.

So this is not like Diablo II where the monsters level determined the drop.
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

4149 days, 9 hours, 57 minutes and 26 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 at 13:16 (GMT -5)

yes.
no.
no.

in my ADOm career i've picked out a soaker, ring of immunity, preserwer, thunderstroke and a heap of about 20 RoDS. that is result of being adict to pickpocketing.

skill just give yoou less failures.
as an enemy goes... i picked Khelly general three times nothing better than scroll of satiation.

only danger level for item generation and may be ankh can affect pickpocket results. and thief class power.

A root is a flower that disdains fame.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/9/2007 at 13:16 (GMT -5) by Soirana]
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

8 hours, 23 minutes and 45 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 at 10:25 (GMT -5)

I pick-pocketed the rune covered sling with a low level character in the SMC once, and I *think* I may have gotten the silver key via pick pocketing too, but memory is kinda blurry on that one... Anyway yeah you can get neato stuff, just don't expect miracles (artifacts are not everyday finds, though good potions, wants, rings and such are not uncommon, and a bit of extra gold is never unwelcome). Just keep at it if you have the patience.
Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Portrait
Kirbot
Registered user
BattleHax0r of Devastation

Last page view:

5884 days, 12 hours, 52 minutes and 34 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 at 16:43 (GMT -5)

I did once get the sapphire amulet "Preserver" while fighting in the arena, and RoDS several times. You really can get some very good stuff by pickpocketing. Twice, I have pickpocketed a RoDS while on the surface of the Dwarven Graveyard.
Molach: "I like to have 200+ hp and over 5 good healin potions when I do [the fire] temple. AND some way of killing the Wyrm"

Morio: "Some way of killing the worm is recommended, yes :D"

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/11/2007 at 16:44 (GMT -5) by Kirbot]
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3117 days, 9 minutes and 47 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 at 09:51 (GMT -5)

Just now - chaos servant from Khelevaster's room. "you steal a sapphire ring."
The ring of immunity off a light red C :D
A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

5827 days, 58 minutes and 14 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 at 09:54 (GMT -5)

"You steal an ordinary ring!" "You steal a sapphire amulet!" And this within 10-20 turns of each other. But yeah, I blessed the ring, eh Noob? :))
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
http://www.mindistortion.net/iwantyoursoul/?i_am=Darkcutter
n00b-eMpErOr
Registered user
Emperor of n00bish Plane

Last page view:

6301 days, 11 hours, 50 minutes and 43 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 at 11:27 (GMT -5)

Lol, yeah, that char died to a lich king 5 turns later....

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: