Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Platinum Girdle

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 2 pages long.
Go to page 1 2
Portrait
PeanutGod
Registered user
Lord of Misery

Last page view:

5023 days, 22 hours, 47 minutes and 13 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, January 21, 2007 at 16:18 (GMT -5)

Anyone here managed to get it? Or know of all the different types of chaotic acts?

--------

Ladies and Gentleman, take my advice. Pull down your pants, and slide on the ice.
Ladies and Gentleman, take my advice. Pull down your pants, and slide on the ice.

Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4211 days, 2 hours, 3 minutes and 34 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, January 21, 2007 at 17:41 (GMT -5)

I've not gotten it - my attempts always end in miserable failure. Also, I hear a bug in the present version doesn't allow it to be obtained, but I'm not sure how true that is. To my knowledge, things you can't do:

-pickpocket
-dig graves
-steal from shops
-kill friendly creatures
-kill lawful creatures (even if they're hostile - use potions of exchange for the likes of dwarves in the arena)
-allow lawful creatures to be killed by others (save Khelevaster, make sure the demon in dwarftown kills no one, don't let pets or traps kill lawfuls, etc - though to be honest I'm not 100% sure about this)
-do chaotic quests
-eat human corpses
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
n00b-eMpErOr
Registered user
Emperor of n00bish Plane

Last page view:

6273 days, 9 hours, 13 minutes and 42 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, January 21, 2007 at 18:20 (GMT -5)

Basically, just try to act like a normal person would.And be goody-two shoes too.Oh and btw PeanutGod, you're thinking of the girdle of Celestrix, that is no longer available.Though anyone who has ever gotten the platinum girdle,True Strength should post here...I'm curious as to how they prevented blink dogs from getting themselves killed protecting the PC...
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

4121 days, 7 hours, 20 minutes and 25 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, January 21, 2007 at 21:39 (GMT -5)

it's rumoured pc should stay neutral. and use stun ray, mindcraft on blink dogs to mess their minds with more interesting stuff.

actually i don't see much point in obtaining it. would be nice for an ultra ending, but it is close to imposible.
A root is a flower that disdains fame.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
Portrait
PeanutGod
Registered user
Lord of Misery

Last page view:

5023 days, 22 hours, 47 minutes and 13 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 at 02:40 (GMT -5)

You mean Darren Noob, I never said anything about the Girdle of Celestrix :P To get that you need to patch the exectuable apparently. I thought I just might have a go at trying to get the PG, thats all. It'd certainly be interesting!

-----

n00b-eMpErOr
Registered user
Emperor of n00bish Plane

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 at 07:04 (GMT -5)

Yeah, I checked the FAQ on it last night. Well, it's the only available artifact girdle(technically, celestrix too but need patch) and it has some nice stats. Though I'm never going to bother to get it.As Soirana said, it is close to impossible. I think it'd be really desirable if it gave the same strength boost as it does willpower...now then I would try!
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 at 07:26 (GMT -5)

i only said it's close to impossible for ultra. mainly becouse of farmer corpse.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 at 08:25 (GMT -5)

Not just because of farmer corpse, but also because you have to be chaotic for a number of those quests.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
n00b-eMpErOr
Registered user
Emperor of n00bish Plane

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 at 09:23 (GMT -5)

Oh...well, couldn't you get a pet to kill a farmer?It's impossible if you can't do chaotic quests. If you can, then I would wish for an amulet of chaos to get me to C and that would be my means of alignment changes.
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 at 09:54 (GMT -5)

well you can start chaotic and keep it there for a long time simple by not doing lawfull quests. quite a pain, becouse i think saccing on black altar is chaotic act.

about a pet: note the line -
don't allow lawful creatures to be killed by others

the only work arround i could make in five minutes is to use wish engine to wish for corpses and hope to found a farmer in the random dead bodies.
but if you have wish engine you can do very well without stupid girdle, IMHO.

p.s. eating humanoids is not chaotic act whatever your law skill says. iirc, guy with true strength girdleon him did it and nothing happened.
hope, you know what girdle does when you commit chaotic act.

there is of course a question - are old crones quests and feeding ratling chaotic acts by themselves?

and i am afraid code may just count any move to chaotic side as chaotic act. including amulet.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
n00b-eMpErOr
Registered user
Emperor of n00bish Plane

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 at 11:32 (GMT -5)

Does the girdle shatter when you commit a chaotic act?I also think that since it's so powerful, it should be easier for people going for an ULE to get it.But it'sr really not worth it, since you only receive it at the end of the game.
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5113 days, 7 hours, 57 minutes and 57 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 at 11:46 (GMT -5)

I think Druid quest makes the PC more Neutral. So it would be chaotic quest for lawfuls. (And lawful for chaotics)

About pickpocketing - I've gotten the impression that if you let the Monster attack you first, you will never get "transgressing law" message. Just did a small test (too small, my tester died...), law skill only 60, but 11 attempts at pickpocket after monster attack did not give any transgressing law message, while in 14 attempts when I pickpocketed monsters immediately I got 3 "transgress law". So mabye it's not chaotic act to steal someone who is trying to kill you...

I do not mean non-hostile monsters, they WERE gonna attack me next round, but somehow if I pickpocket first its chaotic, if I defend against one attack then it's okay.
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 at 12:41 (GMT -5)

am i the only one using blessed scrolls of balance instead crappy law skill?

i checked my status before and after - eating humanoid corpses, picking pockets of hostile monster, before and after receiving a hit, nonhostile, my companion. no changes perfect 9982 black stones. well ok it is deeply chaotic lv50 (and a couple pseudo levelups after 50)char i draged above -10k with pet healing.

checked with 22 lv neutral. same. picked out ratling dealer - went to N-.

so i quess you get down in alignment only then picking seriously neautral guys. the ones you get question before attacking. or maybe when you fail and some extra conditions.

i was to bored explore failure variants becouse all my presaved chars with enough scrolls/RoDS has pick pockets at 100 and sky high dexterity.

noob: 1. imho, ule is easier then getting girdle.
2. girdle kills betrayers of true path. or is at least rumoured to do so. andy's guidebook - section 0.3.1.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

5798 days, 22 hours, 21 minutes and 13 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 at 12:43 (GMT -5)

New challenge: Get the platinum girdle, win the game and leave the Drakalor Chain alive and with girdle.
Harder than eternium man.
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
http://www.mindistortion.net/iwantyoursoul/?i_am=Darkcutter
Lost_one
Registered user
unregistered user

Last page view:

5893 days, 2 hours, 7 minutes and 14 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 at 13:11 (GMT -5)

but the eternium man challenge IS impossible....
"I have opinions -STRONG opinions- that sometimes, I don't agree with"

---Prez. George W. Bush
Portrait
FUNKtional Key
Registered user
A Die-Hard Tactician

Last page view:

5760 days, 17 hours, 33 minutes and 7 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 at 13:20 (GMT -5)

no way it's harder than eternium man
cuz basically everything that prevents u from obtaining the platinum girdle (in case of common ending) is the big blink dog problem (they teleport like crazy and u cannot take care of 'em as of all the other lawfuls)
with this problem solved u get the girdle *easily*

platinum girdle is imho the least of so-called greater challenges. plutonium or proton man are much much harder and they were completed several times by various players (compare this with eternium man, which was finally done only last year)

and if that whole post of yours was designed 2 be a joke, then i don't feel like laughing at all
All roads lead to chaos, in the end.
Portrait
Kirbot
Registered user
BattleHax0r of Devastation

Last page view:

5856 days, 10 hours, 15 minutes and 33 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 at 13:42 (GMT -5)

I'm going to refer you to the #1 Avatar entry in the HoF:

http://adom.brinkster.net/hof/flg_disp.asp?display=ayukawa-edit.txt

Admittedly, the character made use of the overlow piety bug, but it still shows that an ultra ending can be done while still getting the platinum girdle.
Molach: "I like to have 200+ hp and over 5 good healin potions when I do [the fire] temple. AND some way of killing the Wyrm"

Morio: "Some way of killing the worm is recommended, yes :D"

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/22/2007 at 13:43 (GMT -5) by Kirbot]
Portrait
FUNKtional Key
Registered user
A Die-Hard Tactician

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 at 14:26 (GMT -5)

i still don't get it
UE requires farmer's corpse
and they're lawfuls
???
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 at 15:16 (GMT -5)

The farmer is in his kill list, as in the master thief. I don't understand how he managed that... Unless confusing them first makes it okay when you're already chaotic.
n00b-eMpErOr
Registered user
Emperor of n00bish Plane

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 at 15:45 (GMT -5)

Whoa...seems like a TON of trouble to do an ULE and get the Platinum Girdle....not worth it now that I think about it.
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 at 22:04 (GMT -5)

1. master thiefs sometimes are randomly spawn in dungeons. and they are not lawfull.

2.farmer - it is clearly written in link. he killed one after retrieving girdle and keeping it in inventory. if you ask how this done i will simple think you are both dumb and lazy.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 at 07:26 (GMT -5)

He became head of the thieves guild, so he obviously killed Yergius (a non-hostile NPC). Perhaps this doesn't count as a chaotic act, but that seems strange to me.

As for the farmer thing, I didn't realise you could commit chaotic acts at all after getting the girdle. Doesn't the master cat ring explode even if in your inventory when you kill a cat? Only way to avoid it as far as I know is leaving it on another level, which is what he may have done here.
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 at 09:05 (GMT -5)

It explodes while you wear it but not if it's in your inventory. You're not using the ring to kill cats if you don't wear it, hence the ring being kept.
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
Portrait
FUNKtional Key
Registered user
A Die-Hard Tactician

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 at 13:06 (GMT -5)

2 Soirana:
take a look at this

so the question about farmer remains open

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/23/2007 at 13:08 (GMT -5) by FUNKtional Key]
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 at 13:13 (GMT -5)

Also important is the crowned champion of order bit - you can't complete any of Gaab-Baay's quests whilst not chaotic.

Of course a quite likely scenario is that these conditions are wrong, and that it's okay to let lawfuls die and not be crowned.
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 at 14:54 (GMT -5)

i'm not sure of anbout ld crones quests. i mean i was under impression it was related upon your standing with your chaotic god. which should be high in case of piety owerflow. but i maybe wrong.

speaking of being master of thief gild i was surprised. i'd like to hear some more details.

sorry if i insulted someone. still can't say it was unintentional.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/23/2007 at 22:02 (GMT -5) by Soirana]
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 at 15:20 (GMT -5)

Soirana: I assume you are a moron. (In other words, this is a cultured forum, please don't insult.)
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
Portrait
FUNKtional Key
Registered user
A Die-Hard Tactician

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 at 15:40 (GMT -5)

2 Soirana:

lazy - yes
dumb - no
and btw u can *not* judge whether i'm dumb or not even despite all your considerable ADOM experience which is undeniable, no shit

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/23/2007 at 15:41 (GMT -5) by FUNKtional Key]
Mediator
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 at 23:17 (GMT -5)

Here is the line

Don't cross it!
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 at 09:58 (GMT -5)

Well, just to make clear, the fact that the character became head of the thieves guild shows that he killed Yergius the master thief, since that's the reward you get for killing him. On top of that looking through the kill list and you'll see the assassin prince, the half-orc bouncers, the crime lord and several ancient karmic wyrms (mostly wished for, as per the details). These are all non-hostile NPCs, as so must have been attacked and killed, which normally I would think comprises a chaotic act (certainly the case for others like Kranf'Niest). Evidently there are other factors involved.

Gaab'Baay doesn't assign quests based on standing with god. I was pretty she she only gave the reward to chaotics. Well, checking the guidebook the wording is less clear on that: "She will assign quests only to PCs with chaotic alignment." It seems strange that she'll give the medal even if you've changed to lawful, but perhaps that's part of the coding for quest rewards, that it's all tested when the quest is first handed out. (would be interesting to check if you can receive Courage from the Barbarian whilst chaotic if you were neutral when he first assigned it)

I don't doubt the authenticity of the win (though peity overflow abuse is wrong in my eyes) - it was done by Alex, the same mad genius who won with Trinity, the bard that only killed Andor Drakon. But this sheds interesting light on what is and isn't allowed for anyone aspiring to obtain the platinum girdle.
Go to page 1 2

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: