Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Platinum Girdle

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 2 pages long.
Go to page 1 2
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4233 days, 6 hours, 2 minutes and 37 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 at 09:58 (GMT -5)

Well, just to make clear, the fact that the character became head of the thieves guild shows that he killed Yergius the master thief, since that's the reward you get for killing him. On top of that looking through the kill list and you'll see the assassin prince, the half-orc bouncers, the crime lord and several ancient karmic wyrms (mostly wished for, as per the details). These are all non-hostile NPCs, as so must have been attacked and killed, which normally I would think comprises a chaotic act (certainly the case for others like Kranf'Niest). Evidently there are other factors involved.

Gaab'Baay doesn't assign quests based on standing with god. I was pretty she she only gave the reward to chaotics. Well, checking the guidebook the wording is less clear on that: "She will assign quests only to PCs with chaotic alignment." It seems strange that she'll give the medal even if you've changed to lawful, but perhaps that's part of the coding for quest rewards, that it's all tested when the quest is first handed out. (would be interesting to check if you can receive Courage from the Barbarian whilst chaotic if you were neutral when he first assigned it)

I don't doubt the authenticity of the win (though peity overflow abuse is wrong in my eyes) - it was done by Alex, the same mad genius who won with Trinity, the bard that only killed Andor Drakon. But this sheds interesting light on what is and isn't allowed for anyone aspiring to obtain the platinum girdle.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3111 days, 1 hour, 31 minutes and 49 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 at 10:02 (GMT -5)

You can attack any non-hostile without alignment loss, as long as you shoot a missile and they get in it's path.
A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/24/2007 at 10:02 (GMT -5) by Maelstrom]
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

4143 days, 11 hours, 19 minutes and 28 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 at 10:09 (GMT -5)

or you cant turn hem into hostiles with ventriloquism, wand/spell of stunning.

iirc, farmer corpse is not a last of old crones quests. so yous still need to get two more.

altar in d48 may solve crowning problems.
A root is a flower that disdains fame.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 at 10:21 (GMT -5)

if i understand right, char was crowned lawfull at the moment of satisfying crone. i saw no complains about any trouble. maybe you only need to start quests as chaotic?

there are enough ways to turn non hostile monsters into hostiles non chaos way. ventriloquism and wands of stunning are fine examples.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
Cat Lord Lord
Registered user
Not really

Last page view:

5438 days, 23 hours, 3 minutes and 11 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 at 11:24 (GMT -5)

Isn't Alex also the guy who did the fastest win? And wilderness win? Because, iirc the first was with overflow, but the wilderness wasn't. First time anyone (and maybe the only, depending if you belive the person on google Adom group) finished it. Very impressive.
Homework is not meant for home! It's a sick verbal coincidence!
-My brother
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4233 days, 6 hours, 2 minutes and 37 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 at 11:37 (GMT -5)

The crowning was done before the dive to the bottom - that's documented in the flg. He entered D50 L+, got the girdle, came back up and satisfied the crone whilst still lawful. So perhaps some of the quests can be done even if not chaotic.

I was under the impression that the missile trick had been fixed a few years ago. Ventriloquism and the like might work (though I know that killing people in Terinyo with that still is chaotic).

Alex did indeed do the first wilderness win (and I'm quite confident that the recent one of RGRA is authentic too). Not heard of fastest win before, but I wouldn't be surprised. In comparison this challenge wasn't so hard. Even the struggle of getting the old woman down the stairs doesn't compare to the insanity of getting through the game and defeating Andor Drakon without killing anything else yourself.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Varkoill
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 at 12:03 (GMT -5)

You can deal with killing non-hostiles as Maelstrom said. It's also interesting that you can sacrifice on a chaotic altar as long as you are sufficiently chaotic yourself (it's only a chaotic act if you are not chaotic AFAIK).

I suppose he just wished for the farmer, and any of other stuff required by Gaab'Baay. And he did that after obtaining the girdle and not wearing it; if he wore it, he would be dead soon (but I think he could heal himself faster than PG crushed him).

You have to be chaotic ("mature") for Gaab'Baay's first quest, maybe you can become lawful later? I am not sure about this one.
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user
Master of all things nOOby!!!

Last page view:

5757 days, 19 hours, 57 minutes and 55 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 at 13:28 (GMT -5)

2 Soirana: Since you are the most experienced here obviously(I'm serious, no sarcasm), you should be the first to do an ULE with Platinum Girdle without wish engine and Overflow Piety
"You try to give Fang, the large dog the bone. Fang, the large dog says,"Do you know who I am, mortal?!?!"
My smartest dog ever:D
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

5821 days, 2 hours, 20 minutes and 16 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 at 15:08 (GMT -5)

Add sarcasm to the above post and you got it. But wait, it's so easy in theory, so anyone do it now? Nah, nobody is experienced enough for here and you can't call anyone "most experienced" anyways. Darren said a lot of smart things... he's the most experienced player now! Nah. The only way to prove it is by deeds, as you can always look up the GB and etc. to make yourself a false identity. No offense against anyone but exclaiming that Jack Sparrow is the most experienced here, "obviously", is just ridiculous.
Wait, it is NOT so easy in practice though. You know what, ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING in this game is chaotic. Well, not really, but there are so much more to chaotic acts than getting a farmer killed off... that's the easier part.
However, now comes me. You cannot kill a farmer with alignment loss yourself. Not even if it starts hostile, it comes with a *visible* alignment loss in my version. So what you could do is to find a ranged monster (like a stone giant lord) and get it to throw a rock at you, with the farmer in way. The other way, is if you lure a farmer out somehow, into a dungeon, and turn him into a WMoPC with a corruption trap or trigger monsters to make him into a smoothie with the alarm trap.
Oh and Varkoill: I may be wrong, but I heard that the PG doesn't do e.g. 100 damage per turn: it instakills. So no healing faster than damage stuff.
Anyone up for the challenge? I would devote all my time for it if I thought myself skilled enough, but as much as I know about the game, I couldn't do an ULE with PG probably.
Out.
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
http://www.mindistortion.net/iwantyoursoul/?i_am=Darkcutter
Varkoill
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 at 09:54 (GMT -5)

When a farmer dies, you can no longer get the PG, no matter how he died (unless he was no longer a farmer when he died, but then there is no farmer corpse).

PG curses itself and does roughly 30 damage and reduces Dx by 1 (each turn).
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 at 10:09 (GMT -5)

may i ask for a file of a char with PG for my tests, sir?
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
Varkoill
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 at 15:06 (GMT -5)

I hope this works: http://www.wikiupload.com/comment.php?id=64420

Works with ADOM Sage 80x25. If you do not do anything wrong, you should get PG after inserting the orbs and going to D:50. (You can find lots of junk at the old barbarian's clearing.)
Portrait
*Chaos Muffin*
Registered user
Chaotic Awesome

Last page view:

6118 days, 10 hours, 40 minutes and 59 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 at 16:28 (GMT -5)

You could dip a corpse into a potion of exchange until it turned into a farmer corpse?
*<< Words go here >>*
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 at 22:21 (GMT -5)

thank you, file worked just fine even on ADOM for DOS. have just obtained a girdle, closed a gate and started fun.

p.s. now i ynderstand why it was kept in the backup. freaking thing does remember your chaotic acts done without it. and it is imposibble to uncurse.

but it really doesn't instant kills. 20-30 damage per round.

and i killed ogre guardian while shooting behind him with a girdle on. no problem. and it doesn't curses when your companion kills farmers.

Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/27/2007 at 22:50 (GMT -5) by Soirana]
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user
Master of all things nOOby!!!

Last page view:

5757 days, 19 hours, 57 minutes and 55 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 at 18:14 (GMT -5)

Dang,a recent char of mine(dwarvish mindcrafter), was going for Platinum Girdle, and was on D:30, doing good, and accidentally killed a non-hostile monster+blink dog with Greater Mind Blast...turns out I was too strong for my own good, since on next level or so, I used that mind wave thing, and tons of undead were nearby, which I wasn't aware of, resulting in death due to my low HP from a greater titan that I barely killed.Oh well.Platinum Girdle would be much more desirable if instead of waiting till D:50, you could do some kind of maze, thus making it possible at any time(provided you were strong enough to tackle monsters inside,i.e titans, molochs, berserker emperors,and ancient dragons.) seems alot nicer to me.Wizards would have a piece of cake though.

"You try to give Fang, the large dog the bone. Fang, the large dog says,"Do you know who I am, mortal?!?!"
My smartest dog ever:D
Go to page 1 2

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: