Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Legitimate Win

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 3 pages long.
Go to page 1 2 3
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user
Master of all things nOOby!!!

Last page view:

5735 days, 8 hours, 12 minutes and 5 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 at 14:59 (GMT -5)

Well, since I am still lacking a first win, my most successful char combinations are:
Dwarvish Mindcrafter
Trollish Barbarian
Trollish Wizard
Gnomish Monk
Gnomish Barbarian

Which of these would be the most likely to succeed in winning? I am getting frustrated by dying for stupid reasons. If I don't win soon, I may take a long break....so hints on how to play consistently to win would be helpful. My typical strategy is as follows for most chars:
If spellcaster, go to ID till good weapon is found, all others go to SMC/UD or PC for training and good stuff. If I survive(I would like to eliminate the "if") I go to get dwarf quests and pyramid....and most chars don't make it to pyramid, if they do, then they typically don't make it past ToEF....I aspire to become one like ChaosMuffin or Soirana who seem to be successful, no matter what kind of character they're playing.Am interested to see what you guys write....thanks!
"You try to give Fang, the large dog the bone. Fang, the large dog says,"Do you know who I am, mortal?!?!"
My smartest dog ever:D
F50
Registered user

Last page view:

5447 days, 9 hours, 42 minutes and 15 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 at 15:21 (GMT -5)

Most of my Dwarvish paladins to have made it to the ToEF don't die in the ToEF.

usually I am past level 18 and have:

some means of TC.
some means of Teleportation.
\paralyzation.
\fireballs (in place of cooking)
=Ice
Fireproof blanket(preferably blankets)
Rolf's Companion or better
Rolf's Savior or better
Ice(nether) bolt.
=Invisibility/cloak of invisibility/intrinsic invisibillity
some means of confusion resistance.
Elemental Gauntlets/Ironfist
Elven chain mail or better.

most of my characters die prior to aquisition of a AoLS.

I am very cautious and do not touch anything that can see me unless I am surrounded for some reason.

Then I LEAVE ASAP via teleportation (not on the top level) and hurry to Guth'Alak.

If I succeed in the random monster quest I usually get the rest of the dwarf quests done.

The animated forest is done with a nice shield (such as [+9, +2] medium crystal), and !invisibillity when I need it.

The ogre cave is done with Rolf's Companion or better or with the mummy wrapping.

The demon isn't that hard with a (nice, not regular) blessed battle axe (1d6+5)(multiplied by 1.5 for blessed status.) If I still don't have an eternium weapon or artifact, I use big punch if I can take the weight.

The pyramid itself is easy with the \fireballs.

One thing to remember, and that I just re-iterated 5 minutes ago is that if you are going to steal a ring, blanket or other item from the water dragon, DO NOT walk out of the darkness(the only way to safely do so) for even ONE TURN or you may DIE (from 200 to -180 hp).

PS: I will never traverse the UD until level 15 at least because of all my chars that have been slaughtered there.
"If the bread weights that much in the draklor chain, then it's no wonder so many die of starvation.
AND - what kind of IRON RATION weights as much as an iron shield?! A dinner for four, oven included? ;)"

-Maelstrom

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/30/2007 at 15:22 (GMT -5) by F50]
Portrait
FUNKtional Key
Registered user
A Die-Hard Tactician

Last page view:

5760 days, 9 hours, 46 minutes and 20 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 at 15:28 (GMT -5)

2 nOOb-mAsTeR:
i strongly recommend u 2 try trollish healer or gnomish bard 4 the first win
these combos are cheesy, if u play carefully the win is yours
All roads lead to chaos, in the end.
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4210 days, 18 hours, 16 minutes and 47 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 at 15:38 (GMT -5)

Well, I can't preach very well since I'm awful at the game, but I'll give what advice I can (even though I don't often follow it well myself).

The most important thing is to be extremely careful, as I'm sure you know. Even a small key press can lead to death. Try not to fight too aggressively unless you really need to, otherwise you won't gain as many weapon marks and you leave yourself too open to attacks. Always have resistances against things that can kill you - you never know what's round the corner. In vital situations stop and think of all the different things you have at your disposal. Never forget prayers, healing potions, teleportation, wands of paralysis, etc - they can all be lifesavers.

If you want to be sure of surviving the early game then go to VD1 or DD1 and keep killing basic enemies there till you're at least level 6 (easier with gnomes). That way you'll be tough enough to survive most of the early dungeons more easily. Don't go to small cave until you have a blessed scroll of magic mapping and controlled teleportation (including the ability to teleport any enemies that might be near you). Door creation plus keys also helps. It means you'll miss out on Kranach and the puppy cave, but screw them - not something to die over.

When loading up promising save games I find it's always a good idea to roll a random new char first to get back into the game before playing properly. I'll normally send them straight to ID in an Iron Man attempt, and after they die miserably my reactions will be a little better trained.

I guess the biggest piece of advice is stop and think. Don't take on anything you don't think you can handle easily. That includes locations - make sure you are 100% ready before trying the Tower (I normally wait till I can wipe out DarkForge with extreme ease, and have some slaying ammo or a super weapon). Try to melee as little as possible. Train shield marks as much as you can too - the DV you can get is truly awesome. And abuse herbs of course (including using sickness to get the stats even higher).

I'd have to say I don't think any of your combinations are particularly good. Gnomish Monk is perhaps the best if you level them up fast. I think perhaps the reason you find success in them is through heavy use of melee, which is possibly why you're failing in general. Archery and spells are the most powerful attacks in the game, especially since they reduce the risk of you getting hit yourself.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 at 16:34 (GMT -5)

Yeah, Darren's definitely right. That's how I'm able to get a wizard to weapon level 10 in two weapons by level 30...need to stop usiing melee so much. I don't use missiles/spells as much since I hate running out of spells/missiles, and forget to use them in a dire situation. Also, I've tried Trollish Healer, but feel really cheap about it. I got to level 45 once(4th week of playing too) since I read in guide about trollish healers, but I find them too easy(especially with bracers of war and preserver:D). I want to win with something that I can be proud of. Not some cheap char that anyone can win with.No offense or anything. I'm also trying to stop picking favorites(races). I almost never use elves,hurthlings,orcs, or humans. I always focus on the extreme chars like Trolls(big and retarded) or gnomes(little and level up quick) I think I need to experiment more....I think I'll try Dwarvish Paladin, thanks guys for the tips so far!
"You try to give Fang, the large dog the bone. Fang, the large dog says,"Do you know who I am, mortal?!?!"
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 at 17:56 (GMT -5)

Hmm, dwarvish paladins are nice. I didn't take your advice(sorry, experimenting), went to UD 2, got surge of power. Was level 6 already(dead lesser vault ud1). Killed stupid cave bear and got Preserver...nice to say the least. Nothing can touch me, and if I can get my speed higher, my faster regen will be more useful. Currently level 10, thanks for tips
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 at 19:08 (GMT -5)

If you have a tough starting character that already has Healing then going to UD straight away is often a good idea. You tend to get very good equipment there, plus lots of random dungeon features, which makes it a very nice place to start off if you're able to survive it.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
F50
Registered user

Last page view:

5447 days, 9 hours, 42 minutes and 15 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 at 20:46 (GMT -5)

What race/class combinations are most likely to survive. My Dwarvish paladins haven't had much luck. Even the level 10 guy got stoned to death by the stone giant lord before he could get out of the HMV.
"If the bread weights that much in the draklor chain, then it's no wonder so many die of starvation.
AND - what kind of IRON RATION weights as much as an iron shield?! A dinner for four, oven included? ;)"

-Maelstrom
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 at 21:12 (GMT -5)

Well, stone giant lord is a tough cookie that you're unlucky to run across. Good races I'd say are dwarves (tough), hurthlings (nice skills, level up fast), gnomes (level up very fast) and drakelings (all the healing abilities of a troll, but able to use magic well enough and some added extras like spit). Drakelings are overall the best I think, with gnomes second, but with both you have to be careful. Drakelings need to beware anything cold, and need lots of regen items to take on the tower. Gnomes start off very weak, so you must spend time levelling up and gaining okay equipment.

Class-wise... Well, gnomes work well with anything that level fast, and make good archers with their crossbows (less marks needed to progress). Drakelings are good at just about anything, born in Candle as healers especially. Priests are great because they can use magic very well, but learn weapon skills twice as fast. Rangers have nice skills, but I must admit I never have any luck with them. Overall perhaps the most powerful combination might be a Hurthling priest, since the combination of magic and archery would be very effective. Just level them up a while early and don't take any dangerous starting quests.

Overall it's down to playstyle, with a good portion of luck involved. Having versatile characters ain't always great - the game seems to favour extremes. Since archery is probably the most powerful attack you may wish to concentrate almost solely on that (just watch out for doppelgangers).
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

4120 days, 23 hours, 33 minutes and 38 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 at 21:18 (GMT -5)

>If spellcaster, go to ID till good weapon is found,
>all others go to SMC/UD or PC for training and good
>stuff.

spellcasters do not need good weapon regular spear should do fine. they need good books (and DV some play half of game with two shields). ID is good for what for sure.

smc/ud doesn't increase survival rate. blanket is not that important. extra stuff/features are fine, but i usually run into something nasty there.
skip this out.

try something like dwarven wizard. starts with some bones under skin, gets healing, detect traps, smithing. and doesn't need insane amounts of xp, as trolls do.

seriously consider which talents uou are planning to take.

runing of missiles is not healthy. milk down kobolds, raiders, ratling archers, barbarians... not so funny but helps.

and play in small portions make brakes. you are more likely to make stupid mistake in fourth hour of playing then in first. at least i tend to do so.

A root is a flower that disdains fame.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
Portrait
PeanutGod
Registered user
Lord of Misery

Last page view:

5023 days, 15 hours and 26 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 at 22:35 (GMT -5)

Dwarvish Mindcrafter
Trollish Barbarian
Trollish Wizard
Gnomish Monk
Gnomish Barbarian

I must say that none of these would be on my list of characters to play with bar the trollish barbarian. Dwarf's are not my famourite race anyway since they're not very dexterous and such, plus a dwarven mindcrafter doesn't have the best starting skills. No alertness, no dodge, no find weakness, no healing, no swimming - all of which I prefer my starting to character to have at least one of (its just me being picky I think). I prefer my character race to compliment the class. E.g. Elves are intelligent - make good wizards. Trolls aren't and thus hack things to pieces.

If you want to complete the game, why don't you use the characters that a lot of people find to be succesful. Grey Elven Wizards are INSANELY powerful later on. High Elven Archers, Trollish Barbarians, Dark Elven Rangers, Drakling Beastfighters to name a few. I've completed the game with each of these so it MUST be do-able!

My general game strategy is as follows:

Go to Terinyo and get the three quests (either/or the Carpenter/druid). But some food, go to Bandit town, kill bandit or outlaw. Go into SMC and find out if the stairs are close to the entrance. Sod the blanket, I don't give a shit about it. Find Kranach and beat him to death. Go to ID and level up to level 6. If I need healing I'll do that next. If not I'll level up to Lv 8. Then fetch puppy corpse. Then I'll do druid around level 10 (if I have a decent magic missile or acid bolt). Go back to SMC and descend if possible (if not use SoMM and find out where dstairs are, teleport there later). Go to High Mountain cave and out other side. Into CoC, via old barbarian. Explore nothing on the way to Dwarftown. Get first quest, and hope assigned monster is in the first 8/9 levels of CoC. Go explore, pick up everything possible. Go through his quests slowly - Pyramind before arena quest, sacrifice the demon so I don't have to fight it. When I'm a decent level, go do RoTHK. Do Water Temple. If I have teleportation and control, go get all the gear from Darkforge and hope something good is in it. Wait till I reckon I can do the ToEF and do it. Once the ToEF is done, then I'll probably have a good feel for whether the character is a potential game winner or not. From then on its just about keeping a calm head and not doing something stupid.

I never use the 'nothing can touch me' attitude. It's failed me too many times before. Something can always kill you in ADOM. I'll play extra cautious all the time. If I see something hard which I think will be a task, I'll return to kill it later. The usual herb training applies. Like Darren says, if you get stuck, look at everything you have. There is more often than not some sort of solution!
Ladies and Gentleman, take my advice. Pull down your pants, and slide on the ice.

nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 at 04:22 (GMT -5)

Well,I'll try the dark elven ranger, though I'm not too happy about the bad prices, but hey, I can deal with it. Should I train in bows or crossbows, or does it really matter?I think I'm probably going to dual-wield swords(golden gladius/sword of nonnak)
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 at 06:22 (GMT -5)

Dual-wielding is a bad idea - makes you too slow. Especially not swords, which are quite heavy. Be conservative, stick to weapon + shield, and concentrate on missiles. I'd personally say bows since you'll find way more of them, but early on it's whatever you can get. Apparently Raven-born spear-throwing archers are incredibly powerful (get lots of standard spears from a trap early on, then RCT and TotRR later).
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

5798 days, 14 hours, 34 minutes and 26 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 at 06:31 (GMT -5)

Dual wielding was invented for rangers, but don't even think of doing it EVER without two weapon combat.
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
http://www.mindistortion.net/iwantyoursoul/?i_am=Darkcutter
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 at 06:47 (GMT -5)

The problem with dual-wielding is the action cost. Each attack costs maybe 1400 instead of 700 twice. It may seem the same, but it's not. You have half the turns, which means half the regeneration, half the chance to react differently or switch tactics, put on an item, etc. It's like holding down the key for two presses every attack. The extra to hit is nice, but it's not always worth the loss of defence. Ultimately dual-wielding is more about style than game advantage. And personally I think that being alive is more stylish than being dead...
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5113 days, 11 minutes and 10 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 at 08:38 (GMT -5)

Darrens numbers are without two-handed weapon skill. At the start of a game, you would have 1000 energy cost for one weapon, and 1800 for two. My current winning ranger at level 50 has 1030 for two attacks, 630 for one. However you get full damage for both attacks, and it will almost always mean more damage over time, if you can survive the enemy's counterattack. If you get weapon skill of over 9, and no twohand attack skill, you will actually attack slower with two weapons than with one.

My highlevel Ranger char, Drizzt, used two weapon combat throughout the game, so I can comment on that. Throughout my game I never had much problem hitting stuff, but the high energy cost made it a bit tought to fight my way through a monster pack, because monsters would move into open spaces before I could move there.
Also, it makes melee combat more dangerous. Quick monsters like berserker emperors would be hit by my dual attack, but then get 2 free turns, doing a lot of damage. And slow monsters like greater moloch would often land a hit before I could move away.
I played as a dual wield challenge, but in a real game I could and would have taken off one weapon in these circumstances. Dual wielding is good when fighting easy monsters (a tough char in the endgame might consider any monster easy...)

Some numbers:
At level 50 with sword skill at Mastery-14:
Two sword-attack cost 1030 energy. To-hit values are +157 and +167. (Twohanded combat obviously 100). This with swords weighing 19s and 20s.

One sword attack costs 630 energy, and gives a to-hit of +147.

Heavier swords do not increase energy cost, so the ranger level bonus is not very useful as far as I found. To-Hit was always high enough.
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5113 days, 11 minutes and 10 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 at 08:40 (GMT -5)

Darrens numbers are without two-handed weapon skill. At the start of a game, you would have 1000 energy cost for one weapon, and 1800 for two. My current winning ranger at level 50 has 1030 for two attacks, 630 for one. However you get full damage for both attacks, and it will almost always mean more damage over time, if you can survive the enemy's counterattack. If you get weapon skill of over 9, and no twohand attack skill, you will actually attack slower with two weapons than with one.

My highlevel Ranger char, Drizzt, used two weapon combat throughout the game, so I can comment on that. Throughout my game I never had much problem hitting stuff, but the high energy cost made it a bit tought to fight my way through a monster pack, because monsters would move into open spaces before I could move there.
Also, it makes melee combat more dangerous. Quick monsters like berserker emperors would be hit by my dual attack, but then get 2 free turns, doing a lot of damage. And slow monsters like greater moloch would often land a hit before I could move away.
I played as a dual wield challenge, but in a real game I could and would have taken off one weapon in these circumstances. Dual wielding is good when fighting easy monsters (a tough char in the endgame might consider any monster easy...)

Some numbers:
At level 50 with sword skill at Mastery-14:
Dual sword-attack cost 1030 energy. To-hit values are +157 and +167. (Twohanded combat obviously 100). This with swords weighing 19s and 20s.

One sword attack costs 630 energy, and gives a to-hit of +147.

Heavier swords do not increase energy cost, so the ranger level bonus is not very useful as far as I found. To-Hit was always high enough.
Portrait
DT
Registered user
MaStEr oF cHaOs EneRgY

Last page view:

6265 days, 20 hours, 12 minutes and 22 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 at 09:00 (GMT -5)

Well if that mindcrafter can make it through the beginning of the game... then he has the best chance out of all of them...

Assuming that the player knows how to use mindcrafters that is.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. ~DT

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/31/2007 at 09:02 (GMT -5) by DT]
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 at 13:41 (GMT -5)

Well, with my mindcrafter, I went to ID, trained till I got Mind Blast, did puppy cave, then got healing from jharod, smc/hmv, dwarf quests,pyramid, graveyard(*shiver*),and after I got water orb, rest was pretty easy, until I attempted to do the Bug Temple*smashes keyboard against head*.Stupidest thing I've done, EVER!
Cat Lord Lord
Registered user
Not really

Last page view:

5416 days, 11 hours, 17 minutes and 21 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 at 15:14 (GMT -5)

Mindcrafters... don't do dwarves, at all. They don't level up fast enough, I had a gnomish win (died via wand of Destro... forgot it did damage :-/). Bug temple as mindcrafter is big no no. Even with greater Tele you will die, unless you have bucket loads of wands.

Barbarians, don't do trolls. Level up too slow, I had an orcish that died on D50. Very powerful, didn't take much skill.

Wizards, I've had a good number of winnish-e ones. They died due to my stupidity, but I can't actually think of a good reason for trolls. Gnomish or human are good, fast levels.

Monks, I like. Very hard to keep alive in beginning, but later on become MAJOR powerhouses. Kill everything with melee, magic, or range.

Anyway, hope that helps.
Homework is not meant for home! It's a sick verbal coincidence!
-My brother
Portrait
PeanutGod
Registered user
Lord of Misery

Last page view:

5023 days, 15 hours and 26 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 at 15:43 (GMT -5)

I love troll barbarians. Make a perfect crazy ass combo. Random stats..WHAM....here....start with 40+ strength....lovely jubbly.

As for wizards, Dark Elven Wizards are dynamite.
Ladies and Gentleman, take my advice. Pull down your pants, and slide on the ice.

nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 at 16:44 (GMT -5)

Hmm, just had a dark elven assasin that had a wicked knife of devastation and balanced dagger of weeping...this char died to three traps in a row in PC3....oh well. Tried Dark Elven Ranger for a while, but it seems that if I can't get a char through beginnning, then I'm screwed with that character...though with my assasin I used bows a TON.I was level 12 and doing puppy cave for more exp so I was ready for the UD...
Portrait
Kirbot
Registered user
BattleHax0r of Devastation

Last page view:

5856 days, 2 hours, 28 minutes and 46 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 at 16:56 (GMT -5)

Every one of my wins so far has been with a considerably powerful spellcaster: Gray Elven Bard, Gray Elven Wizard, and Dark Elven Necromancer. They all happen to be elves, too. Huh. The bard wasn't specifically a spellcaster, per se, but he (she? I forget) was still very good with spells.

I guess I do my best with spellcasters, though I did have both a Trollish Barbarian and a High Elven Archer that both nearly won.
Molach: "I like to have 200+ hp and over 5 good healin potions when I do [the fire] temple. AND some way of killing the Wyrm"

Morio: "Some way of killing the worm is recommended, yes :D"
Jules
Registered user

Last page view:

4742 days, 4 hours, 37 minutes and 44 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 at 08:06 (GMT -5)

Dark Elf Wizard.
Both my wins, including an ultra have come with these guys.
Reasons for the win -- Bolt spells wipe out levels very quickly.
You dont need good armour, combat should be kept to a minimum.
Strength isnt a big issue, Strenght of Atlas removes the burdened issue. Teleport spell with control makes dangerous situations easy to avoid.
Mystic Shovel makes levels take the shape you want.
Mana stat keeps increasing as you keep casting spells. Willpower is easy to increase, morgia, Sword of Nonak, Water Orb etc.
Once Wi is above, 32, then ball spells become interesting. Over 64, and its almost an A-Bomb.

Alertness means that you Nuraan Vaag is a wimp, you can also put a door between you and him, lock it, and then use ball spells to destroy him as he stands on the other side.
Vaults are also easy, monsters line up on the other side of the wall from you, you ball them into oblivion.
The library is a gift for any wizard.
Bug wilderness is a free multiple level upgrade for any lvl 5 wizard, just dont go down the stairs until you are at least lvl 40.
Quickling tree is sooo easy, they virtually line up to be hit.
Quickling Bard with bolt/ ball falls without ever getting close to you.

Only the Cat Lord offers any real resistance.

On the down side, until you get a herb farm going, its hard.
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 at 10:47 (GMT -5)

i don't see any real advantages of dark elf except for allertness(extra talent for mana and high power points are also nice).

mana can be trained. rest of said things aply to all mages. and mana is relatively easy to train.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 at 11:38 (GMT -5)

Most wizards will have enough Mana to get the extra talent at the start. Alertness is nice though, as is the ability to eat spider corpses. Dark elves start out with great stats for a mage, but this is countered by the fact that they are stupendously weak and might die to the first trap you come across. It's a gamble really - you might prefer gnomes just so you can level up quicker at the start (plus they're that little bit tougher).
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 at 12:05 (GMT -5)

my hurtling wizards tend not to get over 17 mana.

and gnomes... they are good. even if i think no wizard is bad.

edit: i just rolled a serie of dwarven wizards something like to-16+, ma-15+ and learning at 15-20.

+regular stuff like spellboks:) that is nice for me.
just enough to not to die with random trap (if you won't detect it) or vortex later on. mana is fizable with kobold shamans, or simple lot of castings.

and doesn't have big age problems. nor super big xp per level.

i just start wondering why i never played them

Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 2/1/2007 at 12:14 (GMT -5) by Soirana]
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 at 16:42 (GMT -5)

I randomly rolled a dark elven barbarian, and was interesting to say the least....every single one died to...GHULS!I now officially despise those sorry little bastards....
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4039 days, 18 hours, 58 minutes and 57 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 at 23:39 (GMT -5)

Only gnomes and elves get enough racial starting mana to regularly be pushed over 17 as wizards.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Jules
Registered user

Last page view:

4742 days, 4 hours, 37 minutes and 44 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 at 01:50 (GMT -5)

Alertness is IMHO the key skill for a dark elf. Not sure if healing is purely for elfs, or mages, but it is also very useful.
Dark Elves are wimps at the start, but if you play carefully, and its not hard with the guaranteed starting bolt spell, then only traps can kill you, and even they can be managed after lvl 5.
Poison resistance comes easily with spider corpses as previously mentioned.
Alertness cannot be dismissed easily as a talent, yes it might not prove useful early on, but when you face the big guys later, you are almost impossible to hit with spells.
Basically elves are wizards, all other races are merely trying to break into the club.
The only reason for playing a trollish Wizard is to get through to level 10. After that, they have nothing to offer. When you try to get to lvl45, trolls are a pain.
Other races fly up in levels, but leveling up isnt an issue either. Bolt spells + the bug wilderness gets you to lvl 18 quickly if needed.
If you stall at lvl 30, zap the eternal guardian, he's good for at least 2 levels, 4 if you kill his replacement as well. Also, with teleport and bolt spells, the EG will fall without ever getting close to you.
In both of my wins, including my ultra, my strenght has never got above 30, it just isnt needed. LE, Wi, Ma, To are all that are required.
Go to page 1 2 3

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: