Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Bug Temple

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

F50
Registered user

Last page view:

5448 days, 30 minutes and 14 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 at 17:52 (GMT -5)

when should I do it. My current character, a level 16 Dwarvish Paladin has:

70 max pp
240 max hp
Justifier
Rolf's Savior
White Dragon Scale Mail (its uses are wonderous in the bug temple)

Various rings/wands/potions/other equipment.

Crowned with lots of piety (besides if I loose piety I just make it up again).

Acid bolt 200 castings
Ice ball 100 castings (I *NEED* this for RotHK)
Web, 600
Stun ray, 600
Scare monster, 400
Slow monster, 400
Invisibillity, 150 (+RoInvis +Cloak of Invis)
Farsight, 200
Darkness, 200 (cleaned out Water Dragon cave of potentially useful items, all I found was the ring of invisibility and a ring of mental stability)
"If the bread weights that much in the draklor chain, then it's no wonder so many die of starvation.
AND - what kind of IRON RATION weights as much as an iron shield?! A dinner for four, oven included? ;)"

-Maelstrom
Cat Lord Lord
Registered user
Not really

Last page view:

5417 days, 2 hours, 5 minutes and 20 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 at 19:28 (GMT -5)

I would say no, if you go you will get massacred. 70 Power points is enough for 5 or 6 acid bolts, nowhere near enough. As a paladin, you probably don't have enough DV for hits, you will die if you go there. I would wait until 200+ power points, 70+ DV, and alot of wands.
Homework is not meant for home! It's a sick verbal coincidence!
-My brother
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4211 days, 9 hours, 4 minutes and 46 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 at 19:30 (GMT -5)

If you're playing ADOM 1.0.0 then it's easy - stay invisible and keep using bolt spells (but not anything else). If you are playing 1.1.1, then don't even dream of stepping foot in the bug temple, since they can see invisible now. You'd be ripped to shreds. Killer bugs attack a *lot*, piercing through your armour and bringing you down to -500 hp quite quickly. Your dragon scale mail would be ruined very quickly.

Come back in 30 levels or so, when your hp is in the 4 figures and your DV is over 150 on Coward. Even then you'll need plenty of healing potions or regenerating items. Also handy to have an artifact armour of some sort, since that can't be damaged.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
F50
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 at 19:55 (GMT -5)

greater claw bugs can damage armor?

I know regular ones can't.
"If the bread weights that much in the draklor chain, then it's no wonder so many die of starvation.
AND - what kind of IRON RATION weights as much as an iron shield?! A dinner for four, oven included? ;)"

-Maelstrom
rdx
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 at 20:08 (GMT -5)

you will get slaughtered in 1.1.1, as a non caster its even more difficoult, my 21 clvl mage with about 170 dv on coward, 11lvl in shields and good stats (about 40 average some 50+) got raped to ~20 hps in two turns after entering underground lvl by those greater bugs near enterance (not even killers...), yeah that was my mistake to enter there while *slowed* (~70 speed;/) and waste 2 turns to cast ball spells insted of casting ball and heal, also best way to clear bug temple are ball seplls or magic missle (its most effective coz its bouncing and you can cast it around corners) improved fireball for last room with statuses is nice

i allways was afraid of that place and only attempted to clean it with *uber* mage after reciving lots of good items and potions to rise my stats (yeah gremlin bomb is way too powerful it made my game very easy... i could be 99 in all stats w/o wish engine coz recipe for PoGA was poLongevity+!ofUltraheling and recipe for longevity was !ofhealing and !curepoison (pelnty of those from pickpocketing;P) but i took druid quest earlier... so ended up with 65-75 in all stats

now in 1.1.1 rewards are tuned down and bugs are boosted (they se invisible and in dark) so for most of casual charactes its not wise to enter that place early
F50
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 at 09:43 (GMT -5)

well 6 SoCRs is easily worth a wish. I believe there is a wand of fireballs and a uber wand of door creation(100 charges) in there as well.

-Maelstrom
rdx
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 at 12:18 (GMT -5)

3 SoCR in 1.1.1 and some other useful stuff for mid lvl char; yes wand of door creation with 100 charges can be useful to do some tricks with doors, anyway you need some way to kill bugs from distance and really fast if your not very stong you can have trouble in close fight
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5113 days, 14 hours, 59 minutes and 9 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 at 12:31 (GMT -5)

You could consider clearing the upper part of it. You did not say what your current speed was, or if you own seven league boots. If you have boots you can run away from bugs, bolting them to death as you go. Or use missile attacks. Ice ball in emergency if you get multiple incoming around you. Web might be useful, throw up a lot of it and shoot them to death. Just be sure not to block off your exit points.

You are very low on offensive magic, you should get more books. ID runs are good for these, my paladins tend to find a decent amount of books.

Eating their corpses for speed will make your character stronger for the later game. Dex increase will stop fast enough, but speed can get quite high. You just need to grow back your willpower, which can be somewhat of a pain. But you should have a source of morgia root, I trust.

You are probably ready for surface, just be careful, don't get too many after you at once.

If you try the level downstairs you will die, as said here. The room just downstairs is not too hard if you can do area damage (ball spells, wand of fireballs, crystals of fire, herb recipe mix failure) and have over 32 willpower. Otherwise you will take a lot of incoming attacks.

When you say, White dragon scale mail is good for bug temple, I cannot imagine why. No traps give cold damage, no bugs use cold attack, and typical stats on a fresh mail is something like (-2,-4) [-2,+13], which means that it is a fair bit worse than going in naked. Bugs ignore PV, so only DV will help you. Your armor lowers your chance to hit them, and increases their chance. Not that good.
F50
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 at 19:32 (GMT -5)

I know bugs pierce attacks, it was sarcasm. NEVER use sarcasm on forums, it doesn't come across. Mine is actually better then the average red dragon mail at [-2, +14] (I generally don't bother smithing even as dwarf because there is so little chance of creating ingots out of ore).\

No SLB, speed 102 when burdened.

-Maelstrom

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 2/1/2007 at 19:33 (GMT -5) by F50]
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

4121 days, 14 hours, 21 minutes and 37 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 at 20:42 (GMT -5)

with no 7lb i wouldn't go near bug temple.

molach: iirc, web doesn't work on grass, aka green area. spiders make web there, magic no.
A root is a flower that disdains fame.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user
Master of all things nOOby!!!

Last page view:

5735 days, 23 hours and 4 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 at 04:40 (GMT -5)

I think that's annoying(even though it's physically realistic) that you can't just shoot webs across grass, dirt, etc. It could just be half strength(like lying on the ground, slowing you down), instead of just dissapating....just my opinion. Oh, and my trollish wizard lvl 50 went to bug cave for some fun, I had 217 DV on coward and still got hit hard by the bugs, unsmithed moloch armor is not your friend in the bug temple...
"You try to give Fang, the large dog the bone. Fang, the large dog says,"Do you know who I am, mortal?!?!"
My smartest dog ever:D
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3089 days, 4 hours, 33 minutes and 58 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 at 07:41 (GMT -5)

With 102 speed, you'll die. No question about it - my orc barbarian had speed 136, DV ~150 on coward and still got his ass kicked by killer bugs. 7league boots and a wand of door creation saved his life - he lost 350 hp in one round.
PV is useless, you'd be better without any armour there.
A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 2/2/2007 at 07:42 (GMT -5) by Maelstrom]
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user
Master of all things nOOby!!!

Last page view:

5735 days, 23 hours and 4 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 at 08:45 (GMT -5)

I guess my dark elven barbarian going to the bug temple is out of the question...he only has 33 DV on coward...he'd be destroyed
"You try to give Fang, the large dog the bone. Fang, the large dog says,"Do you know who I am, mortal?!?!"
My smartest dog ever:D
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5113 days, 14 hours, 59 minutes and 9 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 at 06:53 (GMT -5)

"I know bugs pierce attacks, it was sarcasm. NEVER use sarcasm on forums, it doesn't come across."
Yeah what is this sarcasm thing they keep talking about...I'm a teacher IRL, so I was just being educational, I guess. To keep the poor newbies from becoming bug-food (like Starship Trooper, I kind of imagine the bugs like that)

"(I generally don't bother smithing even as dwarf because there is so little chance of creating ingots out of ore)"

Chance of generating ingots from ore is 100%...given enough time (and that you are properly fed when you start). I always smith. Once smithing skill rises to 50+ you will see marked improvement in ingot generation. My advice is do a bout of ingot-generation when you first can (get an anvil, usually this is hardest), then use some level-ups to increase the skill. Then you can do your power-smithing (improve stuff).
F50
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 at 11:43 (GMT -5)

what do you mean 100% one you try to extract an ingot the ore disappears. At least it seemed to. I'll try that if it's true though, all Dwarves start with smithing (Dwarvish paladins start will all the good stuff except food preservation, find weakness, and Herbalism(guaranteed)).

It seems !boost speed are almost necessary if you want to try bug temple.

-Maelstrom

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: