Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / the mad carpenter

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

tantris
Registered user

Last page view:

6291 days, 19 hours, 21 minutes and 34 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 at 17:55 (GMT -5)

Hi, I'm new to ADOM. I've never played a rogulike game before. When I find the mad carpenter, he starts hitting me till I die. What can I do to stop hitting me?
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4068 days, 2 hours, 21 minutes and 9 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 at 18:14 (GMT -5)

Lure him to the fourth level of the dungeon, where you have met Jharod. Only he knows of a way to heal him.

If you want to be less likely to hit while luring him around, switch to coward mode. (F7)
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Cat Lord Lord
Registered user
Not really

Last page view:

5444 days, 18 hours, 39 minutes and 33 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 at 19:12 (GMT -5)

Welcome to adom! He is truly insane, there are two things you can do. Lead him to the healer, and you'll get some stuff. Kill him... and you will get a quest and get some stuff.
Homework is not meant for home! It's a sick verbal coincidence!
-My brother
Portrait
Kirbot
Registered user
BattleHax0r of Devastation

Last page view:

5884 days, 9 hours, 50 minutes and 58 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 at 00:51 (GMT -5)

What do you mean "you'll get a quest," Cat Lord Lord?
Molach: "I like to have 200+ hp and over 5 good healin potions when I do [the fire] temple. AND some way of killing the Wyrm"

Morio: "Some way of killing the worm is recommended, yes :D"
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

5826 days, 21 hours, 56 minutes and 38 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 at 03:34 (GMT -5)

Spoiler
I think he is referring to Hotzenplotz's quest of killing Jharod and Tywat Pare and stuff.

(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
http://www.mindistortion.net/iwantyoursoul/?i_am=Darkcutter
Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

3599 days, 4 hours, 1 minute and 26 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, February 04, 2007 at 23:13 (GMT -5)

We are in the spoiler section Battle Bunny :D. But if he kills the carpenter, he's going to have to kill the healer also, right? Just lure the carpenter to Jharod. If you got low on health pray.
For the Horde!
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

4149 days, 6 hours, 55 minutes and 50 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, February 04, 2007 at 23:50 (GMT -5)

well, healing can be obtained from Jharod even without carpenter.
healing potion+monster injured by trap.
A root is a flower that disdains fame.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5141 days, 7 hours, 33 minutes and 22 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 at 06:32 (GMT -5)

"Hi, I'm new to ADOM. I've never played a rogulike game before. When I find the mad carpenter, he starts hitting me till I die. What can I do to stop hitting me? "

Ill give some general game-winning hints, nothing too spoily. I won't talk about quests, except say that you real "quest" should be:
BECOME POWERFUL ENOUGH TO WIN THE GAME.

Play a few games with hard-hitting characters to learn the basics, then try some with a caster.

Wizard is a quite strong class. Try a hurthling wizard. Read the books you get at the start, now you should have a damaging spell to play with. You tactic should be to kill easy monsters with weapons, and destroy any monsters you are unsure about with magic.

There is a dungeon which changes a level everytime you enter it. This is the infinate dungeon. A common tactic is to walk around here, level 2-3 and gather books, experience and items. You can do this till you are level 10, and have 10 different spells. Learn what the spells do, and use them. Then you can proceed in the game.

Hurthling can use the skill "cooking" on corpses, this will make them more nutritious and make them keep longer, so you should not starve while walking around.

Do use a one-handed weapon with a shield (once you find one).

Later you can learn advanced tactics, like dealing with cursed items, becoming one with your deity and receive powerful gifts and completing the game...
mooseproduce
Registered user

Last page view:

6286 days, 3 hours and 35 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 at 10:15 (GMT -5)

Wizards are supacheap. :D
Zoop de Whoop
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user
Master of all things nOOby!!!

Last page view:

5763 days, 15 hours, 34 minutes and 17 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 at 14:01 (GMT -5)

Ummm, could you clerify as to how wizards are "supacheap", or are you being sarcastic, mooseproduce?I personally have never had much luck with them, only trollish ones because of their brawn.
"You try to give Fang, the large dog the bone. Fang, the large dog says,"Do you know who I am, mortal?!?!"
My smartest dog ever:D
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4239 days, 1 hour, 38 minutes and 59 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 at 22:01 (GMT -5)

Early in the game you'll have an offensive spell that can take out almost anything - your only worry is running out of PP or hitting a trap. After you gain some levels and find some morgia to bring your HP up high you're practically invincible. You'll have a vast array of spells and tactics that can take out anything. Magic missile or acid ball trained high simply can't be beaten. If an enemy is too tough you have invisibility, teleport and darkness. Farsight let's you keep an eye ahead more, and Strength of Atlas lets you carry as much as you want. Curing spells can be handy at times (though priests are better with these), especially for hit and run tactics. You even have an uncursing spell for preserving corpses indefinately and the likes of magic mapping and identify to help with general game stuff. In short wizards are incredibly versatile powerhouses, and they can decimate their foes whilst sticking on coward with two shields.

From what I've seen of your posts noob you try to play wizards too much like melee characters, and that simply doesn't work. If you're conservative and concentrate on using magic then wizards are simply the strongest class.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Portrait
Kirbot
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 at 03:02 (GMT -5)

I have to agree with Darren. All three of my wins (and the one I have that is going to win shortly) were (are) heavy magic users. I have yet to win ADoM without using magic a great deal.
Molach: "I like to have 200+ hp and over 5 good healin potions when I do [the fire] temple. AND some way of killing the Wyrm"

nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 at 04:41 (GMT -5)

Well, I'm curious to know as to how you get level 50 magic missile/teleportation/acidball at level 40 by playing as a melee character....cuz that's how high my latest's was. I just play as melee in early game, weapon marks easier to train then. I have played Gray Elven Wizards before, but for me, the complete magic using gets old. I like Necros a ton better.
"You try to give Fang, the large dog the bone. Fang, the large dog says,"Do you know who I am, mortal?!?!"
Cat Lord Lord
Registered user
Not really

Last page view:

5444 days, 18 hours, 39 minutes and 33 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 at 13:27 (GMT -5)

There's no actual benefit for meleeing as a fighter as opposed to wizard (ok, weapon skills bonus is around 5-7 at end game. 7 damage or so and about 30 energy a hit?). You don't have to have effectiveness of 50 for spells. My monk, cleared 50 with alot of willpower, magic missile, and fireball. Skill level never passed 25. Yeah, I don't like playing pure wizards much. Much more fun in my opinion to be a spellslinging sword-fighting machine.
Homework is not meant for home! It's a sick verbal coincidence!
-My brother
Portrait
Kirbot
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 at 17:09 (GMT -5)

Well, for example, the high elven priest that I've just been playing (and am about to win with, I think) found a lawful eternium longsword of devastation about halfway through the game, so I figured what the heck. His Swords weapon skill is currently level 12, and I'm killing greater molochs in about 8-12 hits on berserker. And he got Whirlwind for a post-crowning and has level 12 in slings, so he's basically an uber melee/range/caster. It's fun like that.

nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 at 19:28 (GMT -5)

Yeah, playing a pure in a certain category is not only boring, but it sets you up for either absolute failure, or ease. Ex: Not having the proper bolt/ball spell for an ancient*color* dragon, and if you would've trained in missiles/melee weapons, you might stand a chance. Jack of All trades is a lot more fun and better than a pure. I played like this when I used to play Runescape, I trained in evertthing, thus I was unstoppable.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: