Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / The problem with Adom

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Some guy
Registered user
I'm baaaack.

Last page view:

5601 days, 9 hours, 17 minutes and 58 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 at 01:38 (GMT -5)

The problem I'm referring to is: ADOM has a high potential of absorbing your entire day while actually leaving you drained and depressed at the end, due to a disappointing death, among other things. It can be satisfying, but that depends on good things actually happening in your game. Here's some examples if anyone's interested:

I tried a few dwarven merchants today, because they were the very first combination I really tried to use - before I knew anything about the game or read the guidebook. I liked appraising and detect item status, and didn't realize that altars did the same job except better. So as a tribute (I'm naming the characters 'Bute') to my Adom beginnings, I'm trying to get a dwarven merchant ULE. By astonishing coincidence, both of today's promising characters were potion experts born in dragon. I'm not scumming - I'd never take dragon if I was. Also, instead of only praying for precrownings, I'm letting myself pray for healing whenever it's necessary, which is fairly often.

First character: 'Child' first kill for Filk, got the waterproof blanket, generated the cute dog to use the lawful boost later, bought stealth and swimming, killed Keethrax, got 'p'ower and a potion of cure corruption, and then went back into the DD to get a precrown. By that point I had made myself and an altar on DD:6 chaotic, because getting both to lawful is generally more difficult. I was some way into the sacrificing process, when for the first time ever, I misstep onto a chaotic altar at a non-opportune time. I must have more piety than a random harpy, couldn't my god step in?

Second character: 'Child' first kill, waterproof blanket, generated the cute dog, bought stealth and swimming, cleared out most of the DD and PC, and found that I had the incredible luck to have an altar generated on PC:5. This is the ideal situation I always hope for, as two precrownings here is as easy as one anywhere else. However, much game time was spent in going from PC and DD to the towns, as I kept coming up against insurmountable obstacles in each dungeon. PC:5 had the highest cat generation that I can remember, leaving me with an average of four on the level at any given time. There was a corruption trap near the altar, but I couldn't use it fast enough, and had to constantly escape to PC:4 to try to deal with them in other ways. Summoners constantly appeared and abused me, with many werewolves and dark elves having a ball. A black wizard summoned doppleganger lords and ice vortexes among other powerful monsters, and I had no effective healing aside from prayer and no ice resistance. In converting myself back to lawful after buying stealth with an altar on DD:1, I got myself doomed, which didn't help of course, but this was only after dealing with everything already written above. This finally gave me the chance to convert the altar on PC:5 to lawful to make it much more useful, but a group of monsters including a ghul caught me off balance instantly afterwards. Losing a good character 3 hp at a time is the worst way.

Both characters had also found surprising amounts of stat-raising potions and a scroll of danger, which got my hopes up even further. Now it's time for me to go to bed, and I haven't accomplished anything, not even in Adom. Adom players are like battered wives; we suffer such abuse, yet fall back in love as soon as Adom says "sorry, I didn't mean it". What a strange game.
The following is a real Adom message:

The homunculus hits you. You suddenly fall asleep! Do you want to continue to read the spellbook of Calm Monster? [y/N]
*SleepyOne
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 at 06:55 (GMT -5)

Your first kill is child, but going for ULEnding???
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user
Master of all things nOOby!!!

Last page view:

5762 days, 41 minutes and 29 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 at 07:45 (GMT -5)

RNG:D
"You try to give Fang, the large dog the bone. Fang, the large dog says,"Do you know who I am, mortal?!?!"
My smartest dog ever:D
Some guy
Registered user
I'm baaaack.

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 at 13:39 (GMT -5)

Child is the best first kill for an ULE for finding Filk. I'm going to be lawful, so I'm not going to kill many children. Thus, Filk is easy to find. If you push the child out of town, there's no other consequences.

Yeah, I don't really roleplay my characters.

I've got a third one now, with a few lucky occurrences. I was surprised to see the message "Happy birthday!" while I was wandering in the wilderness, and the first dungeon I entered had a pool in the first level. I got lucky, fate smiles and death ray resistence. Druid dungeon and puppy cave were relatively mild for a change, so I cleared them quickly. I successfully saved the puppy and killed the crime lord, and I'm saving those boosts to get L+ later. I'm about to get myself precrowned (on a safe lawful altar this time) and I've already had preserver randomly generated in a UD vault - which is way better than my average precrown.

The homunculus hits you. You suddenly fall asleep! Do you want to continue to read the spellbook of Calm Monster? [y/N]
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 at 14:03 (GMT -5)

I had a char with ankh, lucky+fate smiles, and it was my B-day, and I got 3 wishes out of a pool, among many bad effects, but hey, 3 wishes is alot....
"You try to give Fang, the large dog the bone. Fang, the large dog says,"Do you know who I am, mortal?!?!"
Some guy
Registered user
I'm baaaack.

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 at 16:36 (GMT -5)

Nice. I almost never drink from pools, but I thought a birthday was a good exception. I suppose I could have drank them on my mindcrafter, as I mainly fear getting teleportisis without control, and mindcrafters have no risk of that.

F50
Registered user

Last page view:

5474 days, 2 hours, 11 minutes and 39 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 at 18:46 (GMT -5)

I will NOT drink from pools without a ring of TC handy. Besides I think Gremlin-scumming is more effective for generating a RoDS. Pools are great for other intrinsics though. Invisibility would be a great one to have.
"If the bread weights that much in the draklor chain, then it's no wonder so many die of starvation.
AND - what kind of IRON RATION weights as much as an iron shield?! A dinner for four, oven included? ;)"

-Maelstrom
Some guy
Registered user
I'm baaaack.

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 at 19:49 (GMT -5)

Invisibility is another intrinsic I never really want. Instead of chasing monsters all over the place I'd rather have them funnel into a hallway.

Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

4147 days, 16 hours, 3 minutes and 2 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 at 22:31 (GMT -5)

it does depend on your class.
invisible archer is unfair:).
invisibility makes gremlin bomb very problemic.and going for ule means you can throw pickpockets in a bin, especially mid-late game.
A root is a flower that disdains fame.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 at 09:41 (GMT -5)

Invisible Dark Elven Assasin in early game is unfair too, backstabbing with Executor....ahh, soooo nice...:D

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: