Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Any Challenges coming up?

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 2 pages long.
Go to page 1 2
requin
Registered user
The shadow of the janitor

Last page view:

6188 days, 19 hours, 29 minutes and 41 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 at 04:51 (GMT -5)

I found this website in december I think and I would like to attend to a challenge. How does the scoring and other things work in challenges? Do i send my bone file to the admin of the challenge or what?
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user
Master of all things nOOby!!!

Last page view:

5758 days, 6 hours, 21 minutes and 58 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 at 07:50 (GMT -5)

Well, we just had a challenge like 2 weeks ago, so we might not have one for awhile, and what typically happens is:

Someone starts a challenge, either random char or something seasonal, you list your chars accomplishments as you go, and post the score when you die. I guess what you mean by "bone file' is the flg, you would send that if you won or had a special death. That covers mostly everything, I think.
"You try to give Fang, the large dog the bone. Fang, the large dog says,"Do you know who I am, mortal?!?!"
My smartest dog ever:D
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

4143 days, 21 hours, 43 minutes and 31 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 at 08:18 (GMT -5)

personally iamlooking forward to friday 13 next month.
A root is a flower that disdains fame.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 at 14:04 (GMT -5)

Ah, yes I forgot!!!How bout you Soirana or Requin start that challenge next month?
"You try to give Fang, the large dog the bone. Fang, the large dog says,"Do you know who I am, mortal?!?!"
requin
Registered user
The shadow of the janitor

Last page view:

6188 days, 19 hours, 29 minutes and 41 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 at 02:29 (GMT -5)

Me being a total newbie in this challenge matter, I fell I should only take part in the challenge, not organise it.
Portrait
FUNKtional Key
Registered user
A Die-Hard Tactician

Last page view:

5783 days, 7 hours, 56 minutes and 13 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 at 13:40 (GMT -5)

we need ratings!!))
All roads lead to chaos, in the end.
Cat Lord Lord
Registered user
Not really

Last page view:

5439 days, 9 hours, 27 minutes and 14 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 at 15:18 (GMT -5)

I'd do another challenge, I need something to keep me back on Adom. We gonna do it on Friday 13th?
Homework is not meant for home! It's a sick verbal coincidence!
-My brother
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4062 days, 17 hours, 8 minutes and 50 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 at 16:21 (GMT -5)

Nice challenge game that even fits within the Friday 13th theme:

Equip any dooming and cursing item you can find, replacing items that only curse by dooming items, and those that only doom by dooming AND cursing items. Never get rid of your intrinsic cursing, and get doomed at the first possibility. See how you fare. If you can win even with this restriction, you, sir, are an ADOM master.

EDIT: As for the competition (not challenge), I propose that if a character was doomed when he died (or won!), he should get a score bonus of at least 50%. If he was doomed twice, the score should be doubled. Thrice, score quadrupled. Four times, score 8 times and so on. The maximum is doomed 11 times, in which case you'd have to multiply the score with 2048, winning the competition almost automatically.

Being cursed intrinsically gives a bonus of additional 10%, being cursed by Executor or any item does not. It just isn't bad enough to count.

I like how this competition will send people hunting for dooming gear instead of throwing it away as usual ;)
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 3/4/2007 at 16:36 (GMT -5) by Silfir]
Some guy
Registered user
I'm baaaack.

Last page view:

5597 days, 14 hours, 58 minutes and 27 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 at 00:30 (GMT -5)

Hm. I don't like this sort of restrictive challenge game because you're forced to do unhelpful things, while most challenge games remove certain distinct helpful elements. How the first type of challenge is interpreted and played varies from person to person, so the challenge isn't uniform.

To clarify what I mean: If we're meant to seek out cursing/dooming items and have to wear them as soon as possible, does this mean we have to take the Druid's quest and then dive to DD:7 for the black torc as soon as we start? Or: Suppose a player doesn't want to wield the ancient scythe. Could he zap a wand of item detection to see where the scythe is when he enters the level, to avoid the scythe? He doesn't really "find" it then, and gets to keep using his previous weapon. (The ancient scythe doesn't really curse, but consider the example anyway.)

To avoid this sort of issue, here's my idea for a curse-themed challenge game:

The player can't ever remove his initial cursing, can't gain the lucky/fate smiles intrinsics from any source or item, and can't remove *intrinsic* dooming if he gets it. The player can equip and remove dooming/cursing items at his leisure.

Here's a few examples of what this means for the game:

You can never get a god happier with you than "very pleased". This is enough to get holy water, but if you get any closer you'll gain the lucky intrinsic - not allowed. So, no crowning or precrowning (and thus no special endings).

No drinking from pools. This could possibly remove cursing or grant luck.

No equipping items that grant lucky/fate smiles. This also excludes some artifacts, namely Purifier, the ankh, Preserver, and RotMC.

The player should be very careful to avoid dooming, as it's completely permanent.

Obviously, no eating karmic corpses or reading scrolls of luck. I'm sure there's more things I haven't thought of.

Interestingly, you can still obtain the TotRR and use it in this challenge; it doesn't grant luck, and you don't need to be crowned to get it. You could also get the chaos trinity in this game. There could be a score bonus for leaving the chain with this stuff.
The following is a real Adom message:

The homunculus hits you. You suddenly fall asleep! Do you want to continue to read the spellbook of Calm Monster? [y/N]

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 3/5/2007 at 00:32 (GMT -5) by Some guy]
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 at 01:47 (GMT -5)

No, you are not forced to get the black torc. You will, of course, be careful to avoid finding the crown of science or the boots of great speed (ESPECIALLY THOSE), but since you know where these are, that should be doable.

Finding Executor by accident will force you to equip it (Not that bad) - until you find a [foo] of damnation (Very bad). You are still allowed to try and get that weapon destroyed, though.

Train throwing spears in case you stumble across a javelin of doom - you should be allowed to at least use it, but you'll even risk your life to retrieve it afterwards.

Important: You *are* allowed to find some ways to minimize the bad stuff. You are *cursed* to equip any dooming or cursing item you get in LOS of, and you are cursed to never get lucky for any reason nor remove your cursing and dooming, but apart from that, you'll *desperately* be trying to find ways out of your malade. It's the whole point of being under a terrible curse: Finding ways to circumvent it, even if it takes going into the ToEF until the stuff melts!

The dooming thing: The "getting doomed at the first possibility" could be an optional effect of the curse in case someone wants to do it the HARD way. ;)
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
Some guy
Registered user
I'm baaaack.

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 at 02:10 (GMT -5)

Ah, I see. If 'finding' is determined by having it enter your LOS, that makes more sense. Still, it would feel strange to go through the motions of equipping a weapon of damnation just to read a scroll of item destruction on the next turn. How about unidentified equipment of damnation? Can we leave most equipment unidentified to avoid this risk?

The first possibility of dooming would be entering the first wilderness square and praying until your god hates you.

The homunculus hits you. You suddenly fall asleep! Do you want to continue to read the spellbook of Calm Monster? [y/N]

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 3/5/2007 at 02:16 (GMT -5) by Some guy]
Soira unplugged
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 at 02:18 (GMT -5)

i'd stick with something more simple. permanently cursed and/or doomed char.

simply you start cursed and cannot remove it by any means. you may doom yourself if that is too easy.
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 at 03:06 (GMT -5)

Um... okay, first possibility besides pissing off your god :)

And last I checked, it isn't easy to destroy a *specific* item with scrolls of item destruction. Also, they are not exactly common to find.

Yes, leaving equipment unidentified is allowed. The best way to avoid dooming items would be to never pick up any armor or weapon that isn't artifact or one of the special magic weapons - swords of sharpness, phase daggers and the like can't be "of damnation".

Or just follow Soiras suggestion. Since dooming doesn't stack my challenge game hasn't the edge I imagined it to have.
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5135 days, 22 hours, 21 minutes and 3 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 at 07:01 (GMT -5)

Next contest should very much be to start Friday the 13th of April. 3 days after my birthday too.

Starting the game on Friday the 13th results in a cursed PC.

From the Guidebook:
Cursing makes the game nudge all the die-rolls against the PC, generate more monsters which hit harder while the PC's hits become weaker. Dooming is a more severe form of this. Dooming also increases food consumption, makes traps more difficult to avoid and makes it much more difficult to pray for divine help. Dooming also has an effect in dark rooms: if a Doomed PC wanders into a dark room, there is a 1 in 1000 chance for an instakill every turn "You are likely to be eaten by a grue." (this only applies to Doomed characters).

Deliberately playing in a Cursed or Doomed state is dangerous and should be reserved for those players who know exactly why they are doing it.

Now, how to play out this challenge?
First question is how to play out the cursed intrinsic. One way is simply to start with it, and thats that. Second way is to limit its removal. We could ban getting high piety (most reliable way to loose cursing) which also results in no crownings. We could in addition ban eating karmic beings, and drinking from pools. This would also take away wishing from pools, and getting some of the nice resistances like paralysis or death. However it will also take away the nice chance of getting doomed by a pool, with no way to remove it....(evil grin).

As a last addition, we could say that the PC becomes doomed by praying to his deity in wilderness. Which will IMHO result in very short, nasty games. But mabye this is what challenges are about.

About picking up items and wearing them and unID and stuff, that looked a bit hard to enforce. One could play this little twist: When character reaches level 20, he must proceed to darkforge, and retrieve the Crown of Science or die trying. The Crown must be worn at all times after this. (Yes one can get it earlier). Dooming, but also a nice helmet.

Second question, what character? I think this ties in with the first question. If we go for option #1 (just start game fri 13th, no more restrictions) then we should pick a difficult class to play with. But I think the time might be ripe for the "faith" challenge - Easter is a time of faith. Therefore you get to pick the character you have the most faith in. Will be interesting and educational to see which characters you guys think are most likely to survive under harsh conditions. If we go for one of the DOOMING options, then I really suggest we can pick our true redeemer.
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 at 07:39 (GMT -5)

given fact how many guys died with lucky char in previous contest i'd put dooming out of question.

no curse removal -- pools, piety is fair. challenge should not be about who finds altar in VD1.

allowing to choose char is pretty ok too. random chars gives way too much deaths.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
Some guy
Registered user
I'm baaaack.

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 at 10:49 (GMT -5)

It looks like me, Soirana and Molach are imagining essentially the same challenge game. I agree that intentionally dooming yourself is too extreme, but I like the idea of not being able to remove it once you get it.

Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 at 13:49 (GMT -5)

Still 39 days to go. My vote would go to no-curse-removal whatsoever game. But I really wonder what character is my most likely to survive this. A wizard is usually a very safe bet for me, but mabye the early game would be just a tad too tough for one. Besides they are boring. But using magic might be safer than melee

Since we cannot get crowned, and therefore no ultras, for determining a winner we could play to see who can close gate, and in the event of several gate-closing give extra credits for stuff, like:
1 "cred" point - Bring joy into a little girls life.
1 point - Kill a raider lord. ("The" lord, no wishing for one later :))
2 points - Slay a minotaur emperor.
3 points - Stop the generation of nasty bugs.
2 points - Kill the Emperor moloch. (Would not need to save K. for this, just remember first kill)
1 point - Kill MaLaKaI.
1 point - Kill Keeriax.
5 points - Wear crown of science before level 21 (and keeping it on)
19 points - Become doomed at start of game.
2 points - Become doomed before entering D:50.

(Yes, instant dooming beats everything else...)
Apart from gate-closing normal scores would count.

I have little experience with playing in doomed state, so I doubt I'd try anything harder than living under the curse. But mabye there are true masochists here.
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 at 13:50 (GMT -5)

Well, than someone needs to make the 'official rules'.If dooming is going to be mandatory, I'm not doing trolls,then a hurthling monk, so I'm gonna either do:
Hurthling Monk
Trollish Wizard
Dark Elven Barbarian

I also agree with Soirana. So many people died during last challenge, I highly doubt that anyone will get past level 5 with a cursed char. If anyone wins the game with a cursed and doomed char, I will seriously send that person 100 bucks via mail.Seriously.

Not that 100 bucks is alot, but money is money:D
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 at 13:51 (GMT -5)

Oh, and the person would have to be cursed and doomed the whole game(as close as possible to being doomed whole game.)
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4233 days, 16 hours, 26 minutes and 40 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 at 14:02 (GMT -5)

I prefer random chars - it's one of the fun things about the challenges we have, forcing you to try out something you don't normally touch. Otherwise I'd choose a drakish healer and call him Doctor Doom :D

I'd say rules wise you have to equip any cursing or dooming items you find, unless you already have a source of cursing or dooming (so if you find a crappy dagger of damnation early on you'll want to try and get the crown of science soon so that you can use other weapons). Nothing can be done to remove cursing/dooming or to gain luck/fate smiles intrinsics. Pools can only be drunken from if you are wearing items that curse and doom.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 at 16:48 (GMT -5)

Anyone want to have just a lil challenge(nothing big, like making a seperate thread for it) to last till April Friday 13th?
Cat Lord Lord
Registered user
Not really

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 at 18:30 (GMT -5)

Dooming... I'm not sure we could get very far. Cursing, I could deal with. I like the idea of picking the class you have faith in... we could even make it manditory to save Khelly, because that's what Easter is about. So... no removing cursing, no getting past very pleased, sounds fun. I'd either do a wizard or archer, because my entire melee strat involves getting crowned... yeah, wizard.
-My brother
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 at 21:11 (GMT -5)

if month of birth isn't random i'd go with candle born hirtling thief. getting heir at te start.

just becouse i like idea.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 3/5/2007 at 21:12 (GMT -5) by Soirana]
Some guy
Registered user
I'm baaaack.

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 at 00:59 (GMT -5)

I would use an archer of some sort for this game, probably human. They're good at surviving from the in the beginning of the game and in the end of it.

I also considered using an orcish priest, as those can survive the early game fairly easily, but then I remembered I wouldn't be in good divine standing.

Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 at 07:23 (GMT -5)

Month of birth would be random, yes. First time you fire up your game on 13th of april you generate a new char, and are stuck with the starsign! Muaha. So I guess Ill wait and see which sign I get before I decide upon character.
Portrait
FUNKtional Key
Registered user
A Die-Hard Tactician

Last page view:

5783 days, 7 hours, 56 minutes and 13 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 at 15:53 (GMT -5)

and how about limiting the available char classes to say only magic-users or else only fighting type?
ADOM has really good game balance, yes, but cheesy R/C combos are still there.
All roads lead to chaos, in the end.
F50
Registered user

Last page view:

5470 days, 7 hours, 52 minutes and 8 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 at 16:44 (GMT -5)

What particularly do you mean cheesy R/C combos?
"If the bread weights that much in the draklor chain, then it's no wonder so many die of starvation.
AND - what kind of IRON RATION weights as much as an iron shield?! A dinner for four, oven included? ;)"

-Maelstrom
Cat Lord Lord
Registered user
Not really

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2007 at 07:08 (GMT -5)

Meh, I believe there are no real "cheesy" R/C combos. Wizards, any kind, are boring, and soon as they hit golems, dead. Plus many people can cast.

Trollish anything fightery: Really weak later on, low experience.

High Elven archer: Dopplegangers anyone? Plus, can be hard until you get enough decent arrows.
-My brother
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2007 at 16:59 (GMT -5)

High elven archers are *not*, in any understanding of the word, hard.

They not only shoot themselves some badass arrows, they also can melee, supported by their dodge skill and thus high starting DV. (Also, high PV because of elven chain mail - and for the rest, just pick up a weapon and shield or something.) And that's how they beat the occasional doppleganger. Doppleganger lords are even rarer and if ever, they turn up when everyone is bound to have a wand of fire/acid/cold/lightning/magic missiles/fireballs or at least a scroll/crystal/spell of darkness.

Other classes have their own feared enemies, in much greater varieties, and many of these classes are without the possibility to kill their opponents from afar.

And with a fletchery set in the pack, Yrrigs' dungeon near, and an elven chain mail protecting you from his mad beatings, arrow problems are solved for anyone who doesn't madly shoot his starting arrows at giant rats, goblin rockthrowers or rabid dogs. Pick up any scurgari, throwing knives, quarrels and light crossbows, and you've got even more stuff to use your awesome missile skillz with. What's not to love?
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 at 06:57 (GMT -5)

No herbalism if you take healing is annoying.
Elven chain mail *can* get busted, more so with a cursed character.
Low toughness - can die to unlucky trap in early game. (or mid-game if you get sickened)
ToEF - need a ring of ice if you plan on using archery here.
Crowning gifts - artifact sling, arrow and quarrel are pretty useless gifts. Boots useless if you plan on using 7lbs. Crossbow and Bow would be good. Overall weak enough.

But I agree there is much good to archers. Concentration means they can become great spellcasters too.
Alertness + dodge really rocks to avoid those energy bolts from ACW

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 3/12/2007 at 07:00 (GMT -5) by Molach]
Go to page 1 2

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: