Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Instrinsic gained through item

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 2 pages long.
Go to page 1 2
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user
Master of all things nOOby!!!

Last page view:

5735 days, 18 hours and 7 minutes ago.
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 at 13:37 (GMT -5)

Well, since that was a once in a lifetime thing for me, I copied and printed it:D

Well, that would explain why my spellcasting chars always are luckier....this will change the way I play adom forever,to say the least.I remember reading in manual about mana increasing luck, just never paid attention...this means that mana could be the most important stat in alot of situations.Thanks Soirana
"You try to give Fang, the large dog the bone. Fang, the large dog says,"Do you know who I am, mortal?!?!"
My smartest dog ever:D
Some guy
Registered user
I'm baaaack.

Last page view:

5575 days, 2 hours, 43 minutes and 29 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 at 21:09 (GMT -5)

Soirana, I've read that quote from the manual before, and I took it to mean that the effect of fate smiles is cumulative with lucky, cursed, etc. The new knowledge you shared with us (against your will, apparently) shows that:

doomed + doomed + doomed = more than just doomed

which is something I never knew before, and which the manual doesn't say.

I realize that Thomas Biskup, once upon a time, asked all Adom players to keep out of the code, but after all this time, Adom is nearly abandonware. I'm not asking you to do more exe-diving, but I don't think you really need to feel guilty for doing so.
The following is a real Adom message:

The homunculus hits you. You suddenly fall asleep! Do you want to continue to read the spellbook of Calm Monster? [y/N]
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

4121 days, 9 hours, 28 minutes and 33 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 at 21:35 (GMT -5)

i've done mini test:
hiked 500 squares with same char:
1st time just cursed+doomed withou fate/luck any irrelevant items. mana at 99, invisible. 189 encounters.
2nd same+spear of dooming +2 rings of doom. 213encounters.

i did not take into consideration speed factor of being bloated/satiated/normal. which i suspect to be involved.

just to stop some nonsence i read about myself:

being not schizophrenic i do not write my posts against my own will.

i have not stated i dived into code personnaly. i'm very sorry if you misunderstood my irony.
A root is a flower that disdains fame.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
Some guy
Registered user
I'm baaaack.

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 at 22:07 (GMT -5)

Alright, it looks like stacking doom does make some difference, and this is just one aspect of what doom does. I suppose that means that heaping on items of doom makes finding a boar skull slightly easier.

Yes, I misunderstood, sorry.

The homunculus hits you. You suddenly fall asleep! Do you want to continue to read the spellbook of Calm Monster? [y/N]
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5113 days, 10 hours, 6 minutes and 5 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 at 03:20 (GMT -5)

I am happy with test results. No need to remember that black post, that test shows bias towards doom stacking. Not deceicively so, but still.

I assume case #1 was generic (natural) dooming.
Then case #2 is with added items.

Since revelation would say either (or would it? hope I'm not making a fool of myself here):
You are doomed
You are doomed (gained by an item)
You are doomed (enhanced by an item)
You are doomed (enhanced by items)
it is somewhat logical that effects would be more severe the more sources of dooming you have.
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 at 06:12 (GMT -5)

quick note: putting ring of doom in missile slot doesn't doom char.

molach: i hoped at least you haven't read behind spoiler space:(
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 at 06:26 (GMT -5)

My curiousity was insatiatable, so I looked at it.The probability if you have every possible luck+fate smiles and birthday factor that you get a wish via pool is excellent, and combine danger levels, and some awesome items will be generated.

Is it possible to read enough scrolls of danger to get a level as corrupting as the chaos plane, btw?
"You try to give Fang, the large dog the bone. Fang, the large dog says,"Do you know who I am, mortal?!?!"
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 at 06:33 (GMT -5)

ofcourse you have calculated test/other info between luck and pools?

or educated ideas how luck does or does not affect certain things?

otherwise knowing your luck is 5 or 25 is just meaningless numbers.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5113 days, 10 hours, 6 minutes and 5 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 at 15:55 (GMT -5)

I am like a moth to the flame. I know I shouldn't, but that light
is
...just..so..bright...

Even if I theoretically hadn't read it someone wrote a little summing up of it a few posts later.

And even so, I never said I did read it, I only said there is no need (for anyone) to remember (whatever was in) that black post. Now that I have shown, logically, that I might not have read it, and I am in fact pretty sure I didn't. I suffer from short-term selective memory loss disorder.

About pools and luck, my experience is that if you don't have _foo_ then you get _foo_. Like death ray and paralysis resistance (my favourite pool intrinsics). Rolling one of them is obviously very lucky. However if I already had them, then rolling them is very unlucky, because then I lose it. I should think the game first sees what pops out of the pool, and then checks what happens to your character. "No wishes when doomed" I've heard a few times, don't know if it's a myth or true (should be easy but tedious to test, you'd save just before emptying darkforge, and you'd need to keep track of a potentially changing doom situation). Some outcomes from a pool are always negative, so mabye luck helps to avoid them, which could increase wish chances. But then again, mabye not. What do I know. Best way to test this would probably be to have two equal characters, and let one of them wear ankh + 2 rings of luck and have them drink a lot. Natural fate/luck/curse/doom would change all along, but one could see if the item-wearing one got better results (more wishes/less nastiness).

What else could luck affect? Critical hits mabye? Better stats on items found (like more [+1,+3] gloves instead of boring [0,0])? Increased damage (due to the game "nudging" your damage-dice-rolls)? Test with blessed stethoscope.

Or mabye this can be tested by counting number of random encounters again? If curse + doom etc. gives more wilderness encounters, then mabye luck+++ gives less. Which would really be bad if hunting for a boar skull or a raider lord.
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 at 16:23 (GMT -5)

Well, from my experience, I always check each terrain for a day,then check the next. First I check plains, then forest, then hills, then the swamp, and 90% of the time the raiders are generated.
Some guy
Registered user
I'm baaaack.

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 at 20:26 (GMT -5)

nOOb-mAsTeR: Stay on the plains. Travelling time is less on them.

Again, bad luck speeds up monster generation in dungeons, and makes equipment/item damage much more likely. These are two of the most significant effects of dooming; I'm sure there's many more minor ones.

Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 at 20:59 (GMT -5)

i do remember some char having problem with rading tomb ibscriptions. wearing blessed ankh did improved this problem.

also i do have small scale experience in using ankh +luck things in minimizing piety loss due to grave digging.

i do remember geting very close in SMC. raider lord was next to impossible to find.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
Go to page 1 2

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: