Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / precrown gifts

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 2 pages long.
Go to page 1 2
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

4141 days, 21 hours, 33 minutes and 36 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 at 06:15 (GMT -5)

i've run 250 piety overfloed precrowns with L hurtling mage. CL 12. crown gift is supossed to be ring of immunity.
whirlwind 10
farslayer 15
scorched spear 15
preserwer 8
purifier 10
long sting 11
black thome 12
executor 12
hammer of gods 16
Skullcrusher 7
robes resitance 9
serpent bite 10
crown leadership 10
hammerhead 9
bracer of war 7
staff of archmagi 8
ironfist 13
soaker 9
protector 12
wyrmlance 20
nature's companion 16
thunderstroke 11
{come with heavy crossbow extra quarrels, char head neither bow nor xbow}
total 250

A root is a flower that disdains fame.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5133 days, 22 hours, 11 minutes and 8 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 at 04:40 (GMT -5)

I'd say this looks like equal chance of generation. Wyrmlance sticks out a little bit. A repeated test would show if this is just a natural fluke or significant.

If we let our hypothesis be "all 22 artifacts have equal chance of generation" then each should appear 11,3 times. Intuitively I'd say that the variance in the listed numbers is due to natural randomness. Do that experiment again, if that darn wyrmlance shows the same annoying tedency well then mabye it has a double generation chance. Due to being so L33T. Or whatever.

EDIT: My feeling is still that it is entirely random. Only reason I'm gassin on about Wyrmlance is that I've read that people seem to "feel" that it is pretty common. And I "seem" to feel so too.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 3/9/2007 at 04:49 (GMT -5) by Molach]
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4060 days, 16 hours, 58 minutes and 55 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 at 07:15 (GMT -5)

I am confused. Why are there artifacts missing on that list? Isn't every artifact eligible for a precrown?

EDIT: Strike the above, just me being ignorant :P
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 3/9/2007 at 07:19 (GMT -5) by Silfir]
Some guy
Registered user
I'm baaaack.

Last page view:

5595 days, 14 hours, 48 minutes and 32 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 at 22:30 (GMT -5)

It looks random to me. Even if Wyrmlance is more common than other artifacts on *this* hurthling mage, it might not be that way on other characters.

What's interesting to me is that you never got precrowned with your crowning-gift-in-waiting. I never knew it worked that way.
The following is a real Adom message:

The homunculus hits you. You suddenly fall asleep! Do you want to continue to read the spellbook of Calm Monster? [y/N]
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4231 days, 16 hours, 16 minutes and 45 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 at 07:02 (GMT -5)

Yeah, it's impossible to get your crowning gift randomly generated - it's set at the start of the game and you can only get it through being crowned champion.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 at 06:12 (GMT -5)

BTW! Just in, best precrowning gifts ever in a single game.

I started a Human Archer some time last week. He managed to find a Lawful altar in the Puppy cave Cavernous level (great menster generation), and also got to level 14+ without generating artifacts. So he could get 3 precrowns, if he wanted.

First one is pretty easy: Sac sac sac very close, sac sac extremely close, "Mortal, thanks for the slaves, and here you go":

sapphire amulet "Preserver" [+4, +4]
It causes your wounds to regenerate.
It modifies your willpower attribute by +7.
It grants resistance to poison.
It grants luck.
It grants resistance to paralyzation.

So I think, well this will probably be a game-winner for me, hard to die with these, protection from much nastiness, rapid healing...but I'd like a weapon, to make things go faster. Soooo I continue saccing. Sac sac sac very close, sac sac STILL very close, sac sac...very close. Pray, nothing. Pray, still nothing. PRAY, then "Oh all right, shut up already. Ill give you the darn gift.":

fine leather armor "Nature's Companion" (+2, +0) [+2, +8]
It modifies your speed by +15.
It grants immunity to fire.
It grants immunity to shock attacks.

Woha, great. (Okay robes would have been better. But still) Thank you BOG. But then I start thinking more. I got enough food (went to arena) and monster generation is really fast here, and I gain good weapon marks (on summoned monsters) and some skill levels (kept reading Rehetheb's scroll instead of pressing 5 to wait. And I still need a weapon, don't I? A nice artifact melee weapon. I can find guaranteed later on, but I would like you NOW please. So allright, I go on saccing. Sac * 100 later, still very close of course, I pray, and then sac a bit more. Pray. "BY THE LOVE OF ...ME... CAN I PLEASE HAVE SOME QUIET NOW? STOP SENDING ME SLAVES, I GOT ENOUGH. TAKE THIS AND BUGGER OFF!":

You guessed it...

bracers of war [+8, +4]
It causes your wounds to regenerate.
It modifies your dexterity attribute by +8.
It is very good at scoring critical hits in melee.
It grants luck.
It grants resistance to stunning.
It grants resistance to death attacks.
It grants resistance to confusion attacks.

Now I expect to receive a certain artifact long bow. Ill update if I do.
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 at 09:09 (GMT -5)

And I still won't precrown in my next game!

All those stupid lucky precrowners... Grmbl...
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
Some guy
Registered user
I'm baaaack.

Last page view:

5595 days, 14 hours, 48 minutes and 32 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 at 00:51 (GMT -5)

Don't let it bother you. I haven't had a great precrown in a long time. By "great" I mean an artifact that I'll use for the whole game, like Preserver or BoW. I've had "very good" ones recently, like Protector, which I'll use for most of it. Anyways, my point is that good artifacts usually turn up anyway. Precrowning is only one of many ways to find artifacts.
The following is a real Adom message:

The homunculus hits you. You suddenly fall asleep! Do you want to continue to read the spellbook of Calm Monster? [y/N]
Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

4591 days, 6 hours, 21 minutes and 59 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 at 13:51 (GMT -5)

So..... what did you get for crowning? That undead slaying long bow, Suns Messenger? I covet that bow, and never seem to get it.

And what in the world would you swap for Protector? at 20/4, you'd be lucky to smith up an eternium shield better (maybe a few more pv) but you still won't get the nice intrinistics.
"As for me, I feel priveleged to be among the only species able to make scientific inquiries." -unknown

"Be sure to keep your distance if you don't have resistance." -DG
noob
Registered user

Last page view:

5920 days, 19 hours, 29 minutes and 1 second ago.
Posted on Saturday, December 29, 2007 at 13:30 (GMT -5)

Got a precrown question...
Since there is no 2nd "extremly close" message - how do I know when to pray for next precrowns? Not a problem with tons of gold - but doing it all with creatures is quite tedious and testpraying will only prolong this. Maybe it is possible to measure it with xp gained for the life-sacrifices? Does anybody know how many sacs are needed for 2nd, 3rd, (4th) gift? How long does it take you usually? I usually just skip em cause it's boring but got an _ on pc5 this time. Character is lvl 12 now.
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, December 29, 2007 at 18:17 (GMT -5)

I think test prayers (they are pretty cheap) are less tedious than testing and calculating exactly how much piety you get for each creature.

I think there's something about the cost of pre/postcrownings in the guidebook.
Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, December 31, 2007 at 16:44 (GMT -5)

The only problem with test prayers, is that if you are not at full HPs, are poisoned, stunned, hungry, have a single piece of cursed equip (even arrows), you will use up an actual prayer and set yourself back a number of live sacs. Gods are too dumb to know your intentions.

Maybe if prayer came up like a wish "a voice booms in your mind *THIS IS GOING TO COST YOU, MORTAL! WHAT DO YOU WISH FOR?*"

Test prayer with care or else beware.
"As for me, I feel priveleged to be among the only species able to make scientific inquiries." -unknown

Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, December 31, 2007 at 20:40 (GMT -5)

If I'm about to do a test prayer, I'm in prime condition anyway, but yeah :)
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 at 13:35 (GMT -5)

Well, this is info gained from scrying the executable, generally considered a bad practise which TB himself has said he doesn't want going on, so I'll put it in extra spoily text:

Spoiler
1st pre/post crown: 95k gold, 70 livesacs, 250 stoma
2nd: 250k gold, 180 livesacs, 700 stoma
3rd: 565k gold, 400 livesacs, 1500 stoma

Numbers are kinda approximate, and because of piety loss over time you'd normally want to give a bit more (especially for lengthy livesacs). Dwarves need about a quarter less gold. I'm not 100% sure about the stomafillia - it's not been fully investigated. (information is from RGRA)
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/5/2008 at 13:59 (GMT -5) by Darren Grey]
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 at 13:49 (GMT -5)

Change that } into a ] :)
Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 at 00:04 (GMT -5)

DG - so I take it, from those numbers, that the 4rth precrown would take 330 live sacs, and if a person wanted to forgo the pyramid, the 5th would be 440.

Question: do all live sacs count for the same amount, say a goblin counts for as much piety gain as an ancient karmic dragon when saccing, for instance? How about for items, would a blessed ruby gain you more piety than an uncursed, or would they both be the same? Would the ruby be worth more than say a mithril chain mail?

Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 at 00:48 (GMT -5)

Nightmare, I think you must have severely misread my post. The precrown requirements go up exponentially (as do all prayer requirements - if you keep praying for nothing you'll soon find that every wasted prayer is costing huge amounts of piety) - each precrowning costing somewhere around double the previous. The third costs 400 livesacs, the fourth 740 livesacs, the fifth 1200, and so on. As you can see going past a second precrown is pretty ludicrous - I normally don't have the patience past a first unless I've got an efficient herb farm (and even then it's far too frustrating to get a really poor precrown gift after a lot of time and effort).

Research done has shown that all livesacs give the same amount of piety. I'm not sure about items, but I imagine they're based on the item values (as used for shops and the appraising skill). This would mean that blessed items are better. Certainly blessed stomafillia is better than cursed.
THC842
Registered user

Last page view:

4478 days, 15 hours, 52 minutes and 45 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 at 18:47 (GMT -5)

Ive only been crowned twice, and got my first precrowning last night. Found a RoDS on CoC :8, was loving my new promising character (lvl12 dwarven priest), and i got the STUPID black tome as a gift. It looks like the gods dont like dwarves, i should use my ring to wish for another try. Anyway, after i got my worthless gift, i read the damn thing (hoping it wasnt what it was) got cursed, doomed, corrupted, and then i quit, i guess i was on tilt (poker term)
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 at 23:06 (GMT -5)

Um, man, if you find a RoDS on D8 you're having incredible luck. You shouldn't quit over something like that. Precrowns can often get you terrible artifacts - never expect much from them.
THC842
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 at 12:54 (GMT -5)

Like i said man i went on insta-tilt. Now I know that precrowns can be useless!
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 at 12:58 (GMT -5)

Looking at the list above I'd say that there's only 12 out of the 22 that I'd be honestly pleased to receive. And some of those aren't terific either. Which explains why going for a second precrown after a good first one almost always leads to disappointment...
THC842
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 at 00:03 (GMT -5)

Third precrown, Elvish priest, got Bracers of War!! While cheering for that i got crowned with skull crusher. I cheered a little less then.
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2008 at 03:35 (GMT -5)

I love skull crusher. Why do people hate it so much? If I get it it will probably be the end-game weapon for me.
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2008 at 05:35 (GMT -5)

Skullcrusher is the worst of the humanoid slayers, so much can be said.

Wait a second - Second worst. It's better than Kinslayer, because it gives extra strength and intrinsics compared to a little extra damage.

Be it as it may, it still is a humanoid slayer, and humanoid slayers r0xx0r the shit out of anything not artifact.

EDIT: Checking again, I see that Kinslayer has 7/4 DV/PV better armor ratings than Skullcrusher, which might outweigh the strength bonus and confusion resistance. It's debatable...

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 6/14/2008 at 05:36 (GMT -5) by Silfir]
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

4889 days, 18 hours, 33 minutes and 41 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2008 at 08:12 (GMT -5)

Can't remember the last time I got Kinslayer.
Put me in the 'fool filter', where I belong!
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2008 at 09:40 (GMT -5)

Kinslayer is a crowning gift only artifact.

I'd actually rate Skullcrusher above Serpent's Bite personally. The emerald dagger is quite pathetic for damage, so against non-humanoids you'll be hacking for ages to whittle them down. The extra crits and poison rarely make a big difference. Skullcrusher on the other hand does plough through normal mobs quite easily, and obviously takes down humanoids with immense ease.
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, June 15, 2008 at 06:48 (GMT -5)

Huh? That's a strange reasoning. The difference in damage between the emerald dagger and Skullcrusher is negligible. If your damage with either is higher than with the other, then it's because of weapon skill and the Basher talents... Were you taking them into account? Still not seeing much of a difference, and the extra crit should cancel that out.

I'm glad for both and probably I will be using the one of the two I have the higher weapon skill in, but I wouldn't rate Skullcrusher as inherently superior. (Indeed, I somewhat prefer the emerald dagger even to Executor because of the poisoning, which really helps against the humanoid orb guardians, and I don't have to rely on potions of poison thanks to it).

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 6/15/2008 at 06:50 (GMT -5) by Silfir]
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, June 15, 2008 at 09:43 (GMT -5)

Just checked out the stats, and you're right it's not that big a difference. There's still a bit more damage on the club though, and the St bonus helps too. In my experience enemies fall quicker to it though - I've always found it easier to plough through hordes with the club than the dagger, in spite of the fact that I'm usually better trained with daggers. The extra crit so rarely kicks in, and anything the poison is useful against (ie won't die in a few hits) shouldn't be meleed. You really melee the orb guardians?
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

4889 days, 18 hours, 33 minutes and 41 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, June 15, 2008 at 10:22 (GMT -5)

The Emerald Dagger does feel (to me)a bit weaker
than Skullcrusher, but only against the higher
PV monsters. If one has high St, then the dagger
is fine.
Put me in the 'fool filter', where I belong!
Portrait
Mozzy Tunes
Registered user

Last page view:

5751 days, 7 hours, 39 minutes and 26 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, June 15, 2008 at 13:36 (GMT -5)

skullcrusher's fame is leftover from one of the gamma versions when it was more powerful. i think it was toned down in 1.1.1. it's still good but it's just the fact that you're swinging a club that's kinda lame IMO.

100-120 blessed stoma has always been enough for a precrowning for me. you might even get away with 80-90. 250 should get you two precrownings.

but like that one dude said, it's not worth the time farming unless there's 2 or 3 stable stoma patters.

has anyone ever gotten vanquisher for precrowning?
Go to page 1 2

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: