Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / YaY, AoLS!

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

F50
Registered user

Last page view:

5474 days, 15 hours, 51 minutes and 55 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 at 13:52 (GMT -5)

it was the seccond amulet I picked up in the game. Identified it with a blessed scroll and WOW! Just hope this character doesn't die before he gets the chance to use it...
"If the bread weights that much in the draklor chain, then it's no wonder so many die of starvation.
AND - what kind of IRON RATION weights as much as an iron shield?! A dinner for four, oven included? ;)"

-Maelstrom
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3115 days, 19 hours, 55 minutes and 39 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 at 15:02 (GMT -5)

Well, that's pretty impossible, you HAVE to die to use it ;)

A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.
Portrait
PowerWyrm
Registered user
Great Wyrm of Order

Last page view:

4504 days, 22 hours, 48 minutes and 10 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 at 16:15 (GMT -5)

That's generally the problem...
People finding an AoLS tends to spare it for some silly dying sage... and simply forget it is more useful around their neck :)
The Great Wyrm of Order breathes light (more) - wow, you feel very smart!
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5140 days, 6 hours, 20 minutes and 50 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 at 17:34 (GMT -5)

Weeeeeellll.

It is a lot more likely to be destroyed around the neck too. I would be tempted to stash it in inventory while beelining for the dying old geezer. Put it on while rolling thru some dwarfish halls mabye
F50
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 at 17:38 (GMT -5)

Six SoCR's a spellbook of Ethereal Bridge, and some other equipment is *useful*.
"If the bread weights that much in the draklor chain, then it's no wonder so many die of starvation.
AND - what kind of IRON RATION weights as much as an iron shield?! A dinner for four, oven included? ;)"

-Maelstrom
Some guy
Registered user
I'm baaaack.

Last page view:

5601 days, 22 hours, 58 minutes and 14 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 at 22:25 (GMT -5)

In my opinion, this is generally the problem:

People who find an AoLS and wear it generally forget that their character is still very, very mortal.

I guess it depends on your playing style. Personally, I give the AoLS to Khelly and then I just choose not to die.
The following is a real Adom message:

The homunculus hits you. You suddenly fall asleep! Do you want to continue to read the spellbook of Calm Monster? [y/N]
Portrait
Kirbot
Registered user
BattleHax0r of Devastation

Last page view:

5883 days, 8 hours, 38 minutes and 26 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 at 03:27 (GMT -5)

Finding an AoLS is like buying life insurance. Except that instead of paying money, you're paying luck/RNG's good graces. And it's a one-time fee, not monthly. And it actually brings you back to life, instead of just giving your family big bucks.

And most importantly, like with any insurance, it's best if you never have to use it. :)
Molach: "I like to have 200+ hp and over 5 good healin potions when I do [the fire] temple. AND some way of killing the Wyrm"

Morio: "Some way of killing the worm is recommended, yes :D"
F50
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 at 08:57 (GMT -5)

agreed. But a non-unicorn character will die without the SoCR's. A unicorn character might be able to get away with the PoCC and the HMV scroll if he is a bit lucky. The spellbook is also worth quite a bit if you can read it and can get TC.

I am storing my AoLS in the barbarian's glade (not the best place but still ok) until I have a means of invisibility to cross the animated forest indefinitely without too much hassle.

-Maelstrom
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4067 days, 1 hour, 8 minutes and 37 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 at 09:31 (GMT -5)

There are other SoCRs obtainable, so even letting Khelly die is no hindrance for a gate win. You can use the unicorn quest reward too, even though that will cut your chances for a happy final history.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Some guy
Registered user
I'm baaaack.

Last page view:

5601 days, 22 hours, 58 minutes and 14 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 at 15:47 (GMT -5)

Even though I try my best to save Khelly, it's true that the scrolls aren't necessary. Potions of cure corruption generally last me until I get SoCR's from the mad minstrel. Sometimes, PoCC and the unicorn are all I need, and I leave corruption-free.
The following is a real Adom message:

The homunculus hits you. You suddenly fall asleep! Do you want to continue to read the spellbook of Calm Monster? [y/N]
F50
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2007 at 08:52 (GMT -5)

That brings up a good question. When to do the Rift? It requires 100 climbing and 100 stealth to get the SoCRs. My characters generally put points into other skills so that would probably make it something I do right before I do -- or skip -- the blue dragon caves.

-Maelstrom
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4238 days, 26 minutes and 27 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2007 at 09:06 (GMT -5)

I do the Rift way before that usually. Yergius handilly provides training in both skills, and both can be exercised naturally. Normally I'll do the Rift just before or after the ToEF.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4067 days, 1 hour, 8 minutes and 37 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2007 at 17:06 (GMT -5)

I've done the Rift late, very early (even before the Khelly Point) or not at all. If you save Khelly, you usually have enough SoCR, and if you aren't a spellcaster, there's not that much of a point going there if not for the SoCR. The skills aren't a problem - Stealth and climbing should train naturally, and the crown of science will definitely help with pushing them to the edge. I've found the Willpower requirement to be a little PITA without Herbalism - though I guess it just takes more harvesting than I'm patient enough for.

I don't see any point in leaving the deep CoC solely for the Rift, though. I'd do it while near the Shortcut, or when you do the ToEF anyway.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
F50
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 at 11:18 (GMT -5)

I am a Dwarvish Paladin with no bolt spells and only Rain of Sorrow (acid ball) for an offensive spell. Slow Monster and Etheral Bridge are good though.

The SoCR's would just be for convenience. The books are something though.

-Maelstrom

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: