Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Mana Temple

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

F50
Registered user

Last page view:

5448 days, 8 hours, 10 minutes and 59 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 at 20:07 (GMT -5)

Ok. I am a nervous wreak and I'm shaking all over. My level 27 Dwarvish Paladin is at the Mana Temple and not feeling too confident although I do have lots of Humanoid slaying ammo and the requisite light source and amulet of death ray resistance. He has ~170 castings of acid ball and virtually unlimited magic missile and slow monster. He can become invisible through various means. He is wielding Rolf's axe but can switch to one of two axes of devastation. His speed is somewhere around 150 without boosting potions. I have no means of corruption removal with me (Khelly's scrolls are at Dwarftown). He has a DV of about 70 (on his usual tactic setting) and a PV of 27. He can deal out 1d6 + 70 damage on his usual tactic setting with Rolf's companion. He has about 425hp, lots of piety and plenty of healing potions (to PoUH and at least 6 PoEx). Before he deals with the mana temple he has a greater Titan to deal with.

Any hints, tips, questions?
Is paralyzation a good trick for Nurrag'varrn?

I really want this character to succeed, and will probably gremlin-scum for a \oDestruction (or RoDS to wish for one) if he makes the mana temple.

Should I go back and do something els? I can't do the Rift yet since climbing is < 100.
"If the bread weights that much in the draklor chain, then it's no wonder so many die of starvation.
AND - what kind of IRON RATION weights as much as an iron shield?! A dinner for four, oven included? ;)"

-Maelstrom
Portrait
Tianjin
Registered user
for monsters - Death incarnate

Last page view:

5572 days, 1 hour, 47 minutes and 9 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 at 21:09 (GMT -5)

Potions of blindness or confusion are your ticket to killing him. (You only need 2 potions - one usually does the trick.)

As soon as he gets in range of your potion, blind him and take him out.

Since he's in a large room, and has 7 other spots to step into when you're next to him hacking away, he's unlikely to step into you, and may not even get a single hit in before he dies.

If the monster is in a corridor, they can still hit you even when blind.

--------------------------
So:
Get to door-
zap wand of trap detection (6x or so)

at door of temple - Boost speed (1 potion)
Acid ball several times to clear a path
blind Nurrag - kill him (do minor victory dance)
mop up remaining monsters

Sounds easy, doesn't it?
Try the TiLiCat! It's experience!

Tiger, stuffed with deboned Lion, stuffed with deboned Wildcat, and slow roasted with a mix of herbs. (served raw for Trolls)
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4211 days, 16 hours, 45 minutes and 31 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 at 21:30 (GMT -5)

Huamnoid slaying ammo will take him down quickly and easily. Try not to be in a direct line since you'll risk yourself to a death ray, which will still do loads of damage. Invisibility is handy simply so you can avoid getting bogged down in melee with the chaos critters, especially when you have no corruption removal.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

4121 days, 22 hours, 2 minutes and 22 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 at 21:46 (GMT -5)

doesn't most of these critters see invisble?

invisibility could help to wvaltz in temple becouse stealth checks seems to be lot easier.

if youy wanna to go in... i rarely find this desirable for non wizards/alchemy abusers.
A root is a flower that disdains fame.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4211 days, 16 hours, 45 minutes and 31 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 at 22:09 (GMT -5)

Stealth is irrelevant if you're holding a light source. As far as I'm aware the only guys that see invis are the wizards. Being able to see invis your self is essential since old Nuugy will normally go invis straight away.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Silfir
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 at 01:40 (GMT -5)

Ummm... Chaos servants see invisible too, last I checked. Chances are the greater chaos servants have the same ability. So invisibility is probably pretty pointless in the Mana temple.

I'll have to admit: I think Nuurag-Vaarn is a major wuss. Just don't forget to protect yourself against death rays and you'll be fine... though I do strongly advise against going IN there. Wait for him to come out, it's safer, though corrupting... Why are your scrolls in Dwarftown, of all places?
Soira unplugged
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 at 02:03 (GMT -5)

coul i get to hear arguments behind light vs stealth.

i heard this multiple times but never any reasons behind.

and yes greater chaos servants see invisible.
Jules
Registered user

Last page view:

4743 days, 3 hours, 6 minutes and 28 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 at 02:22 (GMT -5)

If your willpower is above 32, try the following.

Get the big guy into the corridor. Wait until nothing else is between the two of you, then create a door between you and him. Providing you have the ability to lock the door, he will meekly stand on the other side of the door, waiting for you to acid ball him into oblivion.

All you have to do is watch your experience take a sudden jump, and you know he is dead. Open door, collect goodies and leave.

soira unplugged
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 at 03:20 (GMT -5)

for me ton of items happens to be just in a doorway.

you could disarm couple of traps locking him in corridor, but i prefer potions of blindness.
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5113 days, 22 hours, 39 minutes and 54 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 at 07:01 (GMT -5)

Your greater titan is probably a tougher foe than chaos archmage. Shoot him with magic missile or slaying ammo from a distance. (you could take a 350-damage eternium quarrel up you a$$, so be careful). But at least he will give a level or two.

I also would go down to D:48 and kill the rift guardians for exp. Should get you 1-2 more levels (and all-important HPs) I would also drink your blessed PoUH right away for that HP boost. PoEH you can save for curing damage.

I would bring at least one scroll of chaos resistance with me for temple, in case you get a bad corruption (stiff muscles, or poison hands without thick gloves)

Do not go into the open area, agreed. Remember that magebane eyes will drain all your power, but if you stand in the doorway you will eventually kill enough so you can regain at least some PP. Also you get lotta stuff from the chaos servants you kill in the doorway.

Remember that you can pray in addition to Potions. If you are hurt over 350 hp, prayer (or using water orb) is best since potions don't give more than 340 or so.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 3/16/2007 at 07:04 (GMT -5) by Molach]
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 at 07:13 (GMT -5)

iirc, greater titans do not fight back in dark.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
F50
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 at 11:00 (GMT -5)

Can Nurrag cast Death Ray while confused? If not, then !confusion + slaying ammo will work quite well.

Greater titans don't fight in the dark? Nice to know. I can cast Darkness too so I'll try that.

All single monsters can be beat easily enough given the right information and a few non-renewable resources like wands of Paralyzation and potions of confusion/blindness.
"If the bread weights that much in the draklor chain, then it's no wonder so many die of starvation.
AND - what kind of IRON RATION weights as much as an iron shield?! A dinner for four, oven included? ;)"

-Maelstrom
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 at 12:08 (GMT -5)

since then wand of paralyzation is not renewable?

i tend to find heaps of booze in Adom.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
F50
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 at 13:24 (GMT -5)

I don't find *heaps* but enough to spend five charges on the Cat Lord, ACW, and three other people.

By not renewable I mean that you can't use it on normal, or even tough, monsters all game.

Is Nurrag paralyzation resistant?

-Maelstrom
F50
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 at 13:57 (GMT -5)

I couldn't hit Nurrag, no matter if I could see him or not the humanoid missiles never found their mark except one which got him to severely wounded. I think he does resist paralysis so the ! of confusion + mele did him in. Unlike the other savescummed times I have fought him (not with this char) he came up quite quickly and I didn't fight much of the chaos wizards' summonings.

Got PoCC from Guth'Alak. Now time to do the rift!
The top the the ToEF hasn't been done either. Then I will be in for D:50.

-Maelstrom

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: