Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Classes

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

F50
Registered user

Last page view:

5448 days, 39 minutes and 43 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 at 14:05 (GMT -5)

Ok, I have hitherto played a Dwarvish Paladin. I am thinking of another class to try. I play paladins as mostly mele characters so I am looking for a fighter class that starts with healing or herbalism (both doesn't matter) and preferably not barbarian or beastfighter (but I might consider barbarians despite the fact that I will have to completely abandon spellcasting). The main gripe with barbarians is that I am not comfortable going without armor (they get special bonuses for going without). I am considering the farmer class but they start kind of weak (unless I got lucky and found an eternium halberd :D) and the only thing keeping me alive is the drakeling acid spit. Other classes worth trying? Is it worth playing a Barbarian that wears armor all the time? What about Rangers? How do they fit into the fighter scheme?
"If the bread weights that much in the draklor chain, then it's no wonder so many die of starvation.
AND - what kind of IRON RATION weights as much as an iron shield?! A dinner for four, oven included? ;)"

-Maelstrom
pwil
Registered user

Last page view:

6199 days, 5 hours, 7 minutes and 37 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 at 15:26 (GMT -5)

Monks are fun, although I like Beastfighters a lot a lot better. I'm not sure what you don't like about them. You learn to read pretty early in the game anyway. Try a Dark Elven one. Dark Elven ranger has any skill you could want and is also a popular choice. And since you like paladins, I'd recommend Druids (again, Dark Elven). They're technically spellcasters but are a nice sort of balance.
Cat Lord Lord
Registered user
Not really

Last page view:

5417 days, 2 hours, 14 minutes and 49 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 at 15:37 (GMT -5)

Healers are in my opinion many times better then paladins. If you pick a good race, you can learn spells. They have good level skills, and start with a lot of good skills.
Homework is not meant for home! It's a sick verbal coincidence!
-My brother
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4211 days, 9 hours, 14 minutes and 15 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 at 17:52 (GMT -5)

Barbarians get some bonuses for being naked, but not much. You are best simply playing them as a normal fighter and forgetting the true berserker thing - you can benefit a lot from their high strength and toughness.

Fighters are good for something generic, and some of their level skills are good in a sort of background way (the sort of thing that saves your life without you really noticing).

Priests are good if you want spellcasting abilities since they only require 50% more marks than the fighting classes.

Healers, as have been said, are quite terrific in many respects. Try a candle-born drakish healer. A bit tough at the start (you'll need the spit for some tight spots), but once you have decent weapons and armour they are possibly the best melee machines in the game.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
F50
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 at 18:34 (GMT -5)

I will try barbarians then. Then healers if I have trouble.

Fighters will only get Healing OR Herbalism, not both.

Priests sound a lot like paladins so I will try them later.
"If the bread weights that much in the draklor chain, then it's no wonder so many die of starvation.
AND - what kind of IRON RATION weights as much as an iron shield?! A dinner for four, oven included? ;)"

-Maelstrom

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 3/18/2007 at 18:35 (GMT -5) by F50]
Soira x
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 at 01:19 (GMT -5)

i wouldn't consider healer being melee class. their have problems in finding bokks but when they do game really starts going wizard style.

p.s. do any of you really think race affects chances of spellcasting/learning spells?
i mean if chars have same learning/willpower and cocentration/literacy?
to my limited experience even most classes (except mindcrafters for sure) do well with learning and willpower above 30 and 200 in literacy+concentration.
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4040 days, 9 hours, 56 minutes and 25 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 at 06:43 (GMT -5)

Why not just get Healing as a fighter and not use herbs all that much, just eating the occasional morgia roots and getting a bit of curaria and alraunia? Or, if you're a passionate gardener, get herbalism instead and start farming spenseweed like mad, making up for your not having healing.

Try elven fighters - They get a potion of extra healing or two at the beginning, elven chain mail, and later have decent enough stats to get support trough a couple of spells. IMHO, quite an enjoyable combination, even though they lack the enormous punch of trolls or orcs.

Orcish barbarians, of course, are an excellent choice as well. As for spellcasting, the barbarian has excellent answers.

Invisibility: If someone ever sees you, just whack him on the head.
Scare Monster: Whack it on the head, that should scare it enough.
Light: Whack your foes on the head in the dark... Or use one of your bazillions of wands.
Darkness: Why do you want to make it dark before you whack your opponents on the head? Do you not enjoy the sight of blood? Besides, there are more than enough crystals to do the job. And scrolls, if you learn to read.
Teleportation: Why avoid opportunities to whack monsters on the head? And for chickens, there is still a wand of teleportation. Only ultimate chickens waste all the good booze on recharging it, though. Potions of mana are good enough for that.
Fire Bolt/Acid Ball/whatever wizardish fagotry: Why cause slight burns on your opponent if you can whack him on the head?
Frost Bolt: Yeah, yeah, you can't whack chaos piranhas on the head, I get it. Get a wand of cold, they're not THAT hard to find. And for the Tower of Eternal Flames: Whack that wyrm on the head REALLY HARD. Works just as well.
Knock: The only true way to open a door is to *kick* it open. Barbarians sneer at trap engineering!
Mystic Lock: Why close an opponent away if you can easily whack it on the head?
Cure --- wounds: Our ancestors taught us to use special weeds for healing our wounds in a long and successful tradition, and you want to use stinking magic? You ought to be whacked on the head!
Strength of Atlas: Wizards are pansies, that's why they need stupid spells for carrying their loot. A barbarian is strong by years of training and whacking opponents on the head repeatedly. If the Creator had wanted us to carry the contents of ten general stores, he would have put packmules in ADOM.
Slow Monster: It won't get to do much anyway before you whack it on the head. And if you use that spell to gain experience, you're probably just another one of those wussy wizard types.
Know Alignment: Why do you want to know which gods the creature you just whacked on the head worshipped? It's not like it's your business.
Petrification: If you want to create a statue to whack monsters on the head with, this is actually a pretty decent spell, probably the only one that is not for fags. But a nice bloody greataxe does the trick as well.
Wish: Huh? Listen, if you wanna be an archmage, barbarian REALLY isn't for you. We achieve grand mastery in whacking things on the head the good old-fashioned way.
Stun Ray: You do know that giving monsters sound whacks on the head tends to stun them enough?
Death Ray: That one's for cheaters that are too wussy to actually beat an opponent.
Web: Use a wand, but why do you want an opponent or yourself to be delayed in getting close to him to whack him on the head?
Create Item: You know how items are created? You walk up to a monster, whack it on the head, and poof! There is your item. Crazy, but it works.
Mystic Shovel: Get a pick axe and go to work. Or use a wand of digging. Your choice.
Slow Poison: Your best bet against poisonous animals is to whack them on the head before they bite you. Apart from that, see the section on Cure --- wounds spells.
Remove Curse: Come ON. Just go get some water.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

3571 days, 11 hours, 36 minutes and 42 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 at 10:06 (GMT -5)

Nice list there Silfir :D
For the Horde!
F50
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 at 11:20 (GMT -5)

Slow monster: ever tried whacking a quickling? This will also negate the extra time it takes for your mighty strikes. A very nice spell esp. for barbarians (if you can learn it from a wand it doesn't take that much pp to cast and could be a lifesaver).

Etheral Bridge: Need to go somewhere fast? A tip, don't walk. This was probably my most-used paladin spell. A spellbook of these is guaranteed and if I learn this spell via a wand of wonder than I will be using this a fair bit when I play barbarians.

Seal of the Spheres: What a waste when you have to take a valuable key to the ToEF because you had no other way to lock a door. Admitted it isn't big since if you can generate an infinite amount of doors you can use a key that you have multiples of so it is a nice feature of spellcasters but for barbarians really isn't that useful.

Remove Curse: saves water scumming, almost necessary if you want to go herbalist without herbalism (I admit this isn't that big esp. for barbarians).

Darkness: Why take damage from the water dragon or a greater titan? The wand is probably enough though.

Know Alignment: since I am used to playing paladins I have documented in my brain the alignments of just about every monster. It also is easy to use reasoning to figure this one out. If you have spoilers with you, not a big deal. It is a big deal to know the alignment of a monster if you aren't whacking or shooting them (therefore you are saccing them).

-Maelstrom

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 3/19/2007 at 11:24 (GMT -5) by F50]
zzzz
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 at 14:13 (GMT -5)

Barbarians also get really nice weaopons as crowning gifts (grod and vanquisher) one of the main reasons I played them.
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4040 days, 9 hours, 56 minutes and 25 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 at 08:59 (GMT -5)

Magical Lock: Doors on the ToEF? By that time, you REALLY should've got enough keys.

Know Alignment: Go chaotic. Problem solved. Or: Go lawful. You only have to memorize a few monsters then (namely, blink dogs and dwarves). And if you're neutral, you shouldn't rely on live sacs too much anyway. (Apart from that, I know kobolds, goblins and all kinds of demons are chaotic, and almost all animals are neutral. That is enough guideline for me.)

Remove Curse: Takes too much pp to cast anyway. Besides, you don't use the water to uncurse (bless) cursed items. You use it to bless scrolls of uncursing. You've gotta have enough water for THAT!

Darkness: *IS* there a wand of darkness? I think there's only scrolls and gems... And agreed, stealing from the water dragon requires two sources of darkness. You should be able to find THAT without spells.

What is this Ethereal Bridge of which you speak, anyway? :P Yeah, I know. If you've gotta be fast, teleportation is very handy, and barbarians can pretty much only use teleportation in an emergency. You should be able to get by with your time without those, though. Usually, there are seven league boots for you somewhere, and you also get Athletics. Getting controlled teleportitis also helps.

I don't think slowing down quicklings helps much (they stay fast enough to outrun you, especially kings and queens), especially considering that it's a touch spell, and if you can touch a quickling, you can also switch to berserk and take your chances.

I'll agree slowing down powerful enemies can help considerably in beating them, though, not only if you have to use mighty strikes.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user
Master of all things nOOby!!!

Last page view:

5735 days, 23 hours, 9 minutes and 33 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 at 13:11 (GMT -5)

With barbarians, I always keep this in mind,

"He who runs away lives to whack another day(or turn:D)"

Since atheletics gives you more speed as barbarians, in early game, they can pretty much always hit and step back with a good bit of enemies, especially when they're lower experienced. I personally like the quick talents,they can save your butt alot.
"You try to give Fang, the large dog the bone. Fang, the large dog says,"Do you know who I am, mortal?!?!"
My smartest dog ever:D

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: