Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Avatar of Balance - help

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

5765 days, 9 hours, 28 minutes and 40 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2002 at 05:55 (GMT -5)

My character, Ekaterin the High Elven Druid, is attempting to become an Avatar of Balance, and is doing okay except that she is in dire need of a giant boar skull and an amulet of life saving.

I have wandered the plains for a while but haven't seen a single giant boar yet. Is there a minimum level for encountering them? I am level 21, with enhanced Lucky and Fate Smiles but also Cursed (I foolishly thought attacking a friendly dwarf in Dwarftown was a good way to become chaotic), and I have been encountering plenty of horrible Dorn Beasts and wild air elementals, and one lone black dragon, but no giant boars.

I take it that so long as I am cursed it wouldn't be safe to venture into the Rift or the Tower of Eternal Flames, which are the only places I haven't been in my search for that elusive AoLS?
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

7 hours, 36 minutes and 30 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2002 at 08:05 (GMT -5)

AFAIK all encounters have a level requirement (you don't run into Dorn Beasts and Dragons while searching for the raider lord for example), however I think you should be eable to find them by level 21... You are probably just having a bad day, keep searching.

Lucky and Cursed pretty much cancel each other out, so if you have Fate smiles on top you should be ok for the tower (as long as you have fire resistance, and are otherwise though enough). It wouldn't hurt to stop by an altar and have the curse removed first though. There is always the ID if you are desperate (I asume you already dug up all the "good" graves).

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, January 07, 2002 at 09:16 (GMT -5)

No, didn't think of the grave digging (it's chaotic, and I'm not used to acting chaotic yet :-)), but doesn't it summon really tough undead? I can imagine an infuriated emperor lich appearing and knocking my stats down before I have time to retreat and shoot it with undead slaying ammo.... Umm, are you recommending the grave digging for gaining levels or for the chance of finding an AoLS?

I have access to a chaotic altar, but just how much gold would it take to get very close to my chaotic god (and would my neutral god object)? The Guidebook says something scary about fireproof blankets disintegrating much faster if you're cursed or doomed in the tower.

Maybe I could go see if Blup's mum has an AoLS in her treasure hoard, since I have a helm of water breathing. (I've never been there and have no idea how dangerous it is - please warn me quickly if she's a virtual instadeath who's impossible to run from.)

EDIT: Damn, Ekaterin is dead now. Blup's mum didn't have anything useful, so I tried the Tower of Eternal Flames. I seemed to have a lot more trouble with equipment destruction than in my two previous visits, despite wearing a blessed ring of ice, and when my girdle of carrying melted away I decided I'd just let the character be roasted to death.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/7/2002 at 14:26 (GMT -5) by Ekaterin]
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, January 07, 2002 at 18:42 (GMT -5)

The graves are best for stuff, sure the Liches are worth quite a bit of exp, but not to the point where you want to dig them up just for the exp (besides you usualy "only" get king Liches)...

If you have death ray resistance (and preferably some mental stability stuff) and some undead slaying amo a lone Lish, even an emperor Lich should not be to much of a problem for a level 21 char (don't stay in melee range if you acn avoid it though, and watch out for summoned Ghost lords and such if you aren't playing Elf or Gnome). Just keep a wand/scroll/spell of teleport handy just in case you want to make a hasty retreat.

If you plan to stay chaotic for a while it might be worth it, but yeah, it would be something of a hassle, seeng as you start from scratch every time you change alignment... IIRC it won't hurt your relation to the newtral god (unless you convert a lot of newtral altars), but it takes a while to get enough standing to get a curse removed, and you'll loose it all when you turn newtral again...

The water cave can be very dangerous (for future reference), if you run into an ancient dragon turtle you can quickly find yourself at -200 HP (there is no resistance to theyr breath, and they hit very hard too). I would not recomend poking around down there without some means of teleportation for emergency escape... Of coarse if you plan to take on Blurp's mom it's also rather dangerous (I have actualy never fought her, but I would imagine she's quite though, and those water breaths can be a killer).

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/7/2002 at 18:43 (GMT -5) by Jan Erik]
Portrait
Dougy
Registered user
What is the deal with cards?

Last page view:

5829 days, 16 hours, 44 minutes and 17 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2002 at 03:32 (GMT -5)

If you have either curse or doom in the ToEF your equipment will burn away no matter how protected it is... (slower with more protection tho). Your fireproof blankets will burn away too.

However if you are lucky and fate smiley it will take an obscene amount of time for stuff to burn away - practically forever.

It is for this reason that wearing the crown of science in the ToEF is a bad idea - even if it grants fire immunity.

The best place to get AoLS is PC:5 - non corrupting, high monster generation. Dip rings or amulets into blessed potions of exchange and potions of raw chaos in DH:2. It's more likely then you would think - perhaps 1 in 100.

The water dragon is incredibly powerful and she teleports - don't mess with her. She can kill l50 charactors easily. (death ray doesn't work on her either). Giant dragon turtles can be death rayed so that makes them easier, but they can do ~200 damage in one water breath.

Adomer from Australia.

DougyDougy - Dougy - DougyDougy
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2002 at 05:19 (GMT -5)

I tried dipping amulets into potions of raw chaos once. I turned into a chaos being before I got the AoLS, and I have never dared to dip anything in a PoRC since then.

What do you do to avoid the explosions and severe corruption? I assume it helps to have Lucky and Fate Smiles and not be cursed or doomed. Should you bless the potions and amulets? Are there any stats (Dexterity? Mana?) which you should max out before playing with PoRC?
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2002 at 12:13 (GMT -5)

Beeing Lucky (in the game) defenently help.

I had a character that went though over 20 potions of raw chaos without any major accidents (spilled a little once in awhile and got the "you feel corupted" message, but no explotions or coruptions). He was naturlay Lucky and Fate smiles (crowning), and also wearig the Ankh (blessed) and two blessed rings of luck (and affected by the Blesse spell because of crowning (don't know if that helps too)).
IIRC blessed potions are also good (less likely to spill and blow up), but the items you dip can be cursed without any problems. If you dip a cursed brass ring you simply get another cursed ring in return.

No stats have any influence that I know off, but defenently max out your luck before you start playing around. I'm also guessing the danger level have some influence over what sort of items you get ...

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Portrait
Dougy
Registered user
What is the deal with cards?

Last page view:

5829 days, 16 hours, 44 minutes and 17 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2002 at 18:49 (GMT -5)

From what i've done all items dipped into PoRC (hehe pork) come out cursed.

Oh and if you dip 9 of something into a pork, you'll only get one back...

You dip the heap of 19 blessed rings of djinni summoning into the potion of
raw chaos. The heap of 19 blessed rings of djinni summoning is
transformed into a cursed ring of stun resistance!

Adomer from Australia.

DougyDougy - Dougy - DougyDougy
Stas
Registered user
The Dark Lord Melkor

Last page view:

7650 days, 23 hours, 58 minutes and 16 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2002 at 03:54 (GMT -5)

another benefit of potions of exchange: if you dip n items in it (if you try to dip heap of 5 sudded leather armors, only one will be dipped, so n=1), you receive the same amount (n) from them...
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger"
Lord of The Rings

"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will anger the cat lord"

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: