Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Frustration...grrr.....

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 2 pages long.
Go to page 1 2
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user
Master of all things nOOby!!!

Last page view:

5758 days, 12 hours, 33 minutes and 46 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 at 07:15 (GMT -5)

Well, I haven't posted as frequently as often, because the two combo's that I want to win the game with 2nd, maybe my first ULE, are sucking. I've been trying gnomish mindcrafters,and drakish healers. I've gotten 3/50 drakish healers to dwarftown, and only one of them actually deserved to make it.(the other two just rushed through UD and then to D-town). My quest to create THE ultimate character,(gnomish mindcrafter that is an archmage) is going bad.I got 1/60 to dwarftown, only 15 got healing. I am really getting pissed, so can anyone give me any hints?I seem to have lost my *touch* that I had with my dark elves....
"You try to give Fang, the large dog the bone. Fang, the large dog says,"Do you know who I am, mortal?!?!"
My smartest dog ever:D
F50
Registered user

Last page view:

5470 days, 14 hours, 3 minutes and 56 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 at 11:38 (GMT -5)

I have recently tried to make Drakelings work and suffered from a similar problem (got none past PC). This probably has something to do with the fact that I am used to playing high-PV Dwarvish characters that start with healing (Dwarvish Paladins). Another thing is that Drakeling seem to get critically hit a lot. This is not just due to their low Dex as Dwarves start as low or lower on Dex than Dwarves (and dwarves lack alertness). Elves are actually probably around second or third with starting high on PV. You might try leveling up in the ID (after your first kill) since you are going to spend some time in the ID anyways scumming for various things.

Mindcrafter Archmage? Mindcrafters can't learn spells except in exceptional circumstances.
"If the bread weights that much in the draklor chain, then it's no wonder so many die of starvation.
AND - what kind of IRON RATION weights as much as an iron shield?! A dinner for four, oven included? ;)"

-Maelstrom
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 at 12:57 (GMT -5)

Hmm, and maybe start with the starsign that increases book generation, so I can learn some spells early on...so my current plan thanks to F50 will be this:

Make first kill(mugger or assasin if going for ULE, something common if regular)

Go generate low level SMC, might switch 1st and 2nd steps

Train in ID till day lvl 5, or day 10

Go kill kranach and gang with acid

Typically never get past here.....
"You try to give Fang, the large dog the bone. Fang, the large dog says,"Do you know who I am, mortal?!?!"
Cat Lord Lord
Registered user
Not really

Last page view:

5439 days, 15 hours, 39 minutes and 2 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 at 15:27 (GMT -5)

I say, take out drakling. Gnomish healer and mindcrafter. Both have herbalism *wink wink*. Go get herbs, sack, get good weapon, stab. Simple, eh? Mindcrafters are hard, before I got mine far I died dozens of times. Then was really lucky. There is really no MAJOR way draklings are better then gnomes when it comes to healers.
Gnomes: Level fast, easily learn spells. Not bad stats.

Drakling: Big, tough, spit acid. Can sorta learn spells, level up slower then gnomes.
Homework is not meant for home! It's a sick verbal coincidence!
-My brother
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 at 17:12 (GMT -5)

Well, I think I'm gonna stick with drakeling healer, since I like food preservation alot, which means in early game if I have a large food supply, I can kill anything(except stone golems) with my acid spit.

I also have used gnomes extensively before, the only 3 advantages that they have are fast leveling,mining skill,and ventriloquism, other than that, I could really care less about them.

So looks like my next win is going to be for a drakish healer, then gnomish or human mindcrafter to create the ultimate archmage....
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4062 days, 23 hours, 20 minutes and 38 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 at 09:02 (GMT -5)

I am at a loss how you want to make a mindcrafter archmage work. But go ahead and prove me wrong ;)
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 at 10:23 (GMT -5)

Here's how:

Make a powerful mindcrafter(this will prove to be the hardest step)

I'll probably just close gate to do this....

Go to blue dragon caves, scum them for like forever, and use any wishes for wands of wonder and potions of booze, or scrolls of charging.

Zap wands of wonder a ton, the castings of wish will slowly rise.

After the number of castings gets above a reasonable number(100 castings or 500 if i'm patient)So that way I can book-cast wish, thus making the ultimate character IMO, since this is the thing about my idea:

Wizards themselves are just skilled at magic, they are not necessarily going to be the best at it(well, unless you get castings to 30,000, but seriously...), so mindcrafters have the one ability that NO other class has, mindcraft.So if we combine the wizard's ability to cast spells, the mindcrafter is the best char. If adom ever gets dueling, then that will be my choice character.

Pardon me if any of my details are wrong...
F50
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 at 12:33 (GMT -5)

Zapping WoWo will make you cast the spell as well.
PoWo will just increase knowledge.

Perhaps you could test the effectivity of WoWo vs. PoWo.

Does mindcraft train Mana?

Provided you have a PV of at least three when you go for Kranach, and you flee after killing Kranach (the critical hits from other raiders will slay you most of the time), you shouldn't have trouble getting the 3000gp.
"If the bread weights that much in the draklor chain, then it's no wonder so many die of starvation.
AND - what kind of IRON RATION weights as much as an iron shield?! A dinner for four, oven included? ;)"

-Maelstrom
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 at 13:05 (GMT -5)

Well, my current drakeling healera(the 3rd attempt of the day too!), is currently level 15,precrowned with protector, got a wish, saved khelly,going for one more precrown, it's day 40, if I get another wish, it's going for seven league boots.I know cure serious wounds(potions of ultra healing when I go back to terinyo:D),frost bolt, slow monster, teleport, and identify.My current plan is to get another precrown, do pyramid,do dwarf quests,then turn neutral, get 4 more SoCR hopefully, get detect traps, then convert to lawful by talking to sheriff, since I killed hotzy, getting tons of PoUH, do graveyard, use sword of nonnak for main weapon, go through SMC/UD, HMV,then TotHK and Darkforge.I had to kill a cave lion for thrundrarr, so RotMC is gone, and I'm not sure if I want to go for an ULE...my first kill was a giant rat:(

I think the reason I've had so much success is that I found an altar early, and the DV is so nice.I am really varied, I'm equally good in polearms, maces, daggers, and swords. And I also use scurgari like a real drakeling would, but also use bows for slaying. This is going to be a good char.
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 at 16:16 (GMT -5)

Got bracers of war for second precrown, very nice:D Going to do pyramid with wands of trap detection, then other stuff, may scum ID so I can do Bug Temple early.
Some guy
Registered user
I'm baaaack.

Last page view:

5597 days, 21 hours, 10 minutes and 15 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 at 18:13 (GMT -5)

Having trouble in the early game? I know you've heard all the general advice a thousand times, so I'll try to make my advice more unusual:

1. For any class with low starting PV (ie mindcrafters), take your armor off entirely until you find something good. True berserking with a quarterstaff is a surprisingly effective way of clearing the SMC. (Right now I'm playing a true-berserking challenge with a wizard, lol. I know what I'm talking about.)

2. When doing the Kranach quest on a mindcrafter, get as close to level 6 as possible, so you'll level up on one of the first raiders. Mind blast makes his fight extremely easy.

3. Know when it's best to just skip Kranach entirely. You can earn 3500 gold for detect traps without this quest with pickpocketing and selling. Also, this quest can easily absorb high amounts of game time. If you're doing this quest on a weak character (but you think you can win), at least avoid taking the Kranach quest until you're level 5.

4. My preferred first kill for ultra-endings is a child or goodwife, even for an ULE. It's not hard to push one to the edge of Terinyo by changing places with it, and it will then follow you to a wilderness square. If you're intent on roleplaying your characters, I can understand why you would avoid doing this.
The following is a real Adom message:

The homunculus hits you. You suddenly fall asleep! Do you want to continue to read the spellbook of Calm Monster? [y/N]
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4233 days, 22 hours, 38 minutes and 28 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 at 21:28 (GMT -5)

For mindcrafters getting to level 6 is the first essential step, and to do that I normally stay on VD1 (since ID1 is more dangerous). Getting further up the levels is also important, which might mean giving up on the usual ideas of precrowns and doing the main quests later than normal. Also, never underestimate the power of confusion (I love using it on doppelgangers to get my own back).

Also important is remembering that mindcrafters gain weapon and shield marks just as quick as any fighting class. For gnomes in particular crossbow marks are very quickly gained, so remember to practise with your missiles a lot. In some respects hurthlings are better - you start with archery and good with thrown rocks, as well as being a little tougher.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Silfir
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 at 03:34 (GMT -5)

Can you even get wish with wands?

If not, good luck with scumming for the potions ;)
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 at 04:44 (GMT -5)

Yes, you can get wish with wands and potions.

Some guy:I already know 2+3,I do roleplay.But I never thought about true berserking....though my drakish healer is doing quite well.

I've said this before, but I'll say it again:Why the heck aren't scurgari and boomerangs generated ever!?!? I find it unfair how arrows are generated in the hundreds, quarrels probably half, and scurgari and boomerangs almost never. I think that TB should make either: an artifact boomerang, or missile shops,since that would be very nice if shops got even more specialized.You could have a missile weapon shop, having ammo of all types, and the weapons shops could be just that, including ingots to *upgrade* the items, for a price, same thing for specialized armor shops. does anyone else share my view on this?
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

4144 days, 3 hours, 55 minutes and 19 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 at 05:54 (GMT -5)

soehow i doubt getting wish via wand. it would be free wish.
A root is a flower that disdains fame.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
Silfir
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 at 07:08 (GMT -5)

Specializing in boomerangs and scurgari only ever makes sense if you actually find a boomerang, better two or three, or scurgari of returning, just like specializing in throwing spears only makes sense with spears of returning or javelins of doom (The rune-covered trident is not enough - you have to train a bit beforehand), and thrown daggers with a dagger of returning (Not very powerful, though).

Specializing in Thrown clubs and rocks is always possible, even without a curved throwing club.

About Wishes from wand of wonder: I once got a very strange effect from zapping a wand of wonder that resultet in no spell for me. Gave a message about suddenly feeling very strange and the heart pounding heavily afterwards.

I think if the spell chosen by the RNG for the wand of wonder is wish, you could get the above effect, and no spell.

A shop dedicated to only selling ammo is probably not that bad for the player. You could scum it for slaying ammo, just like you could scum a weapon shop for murderous eternium two-handed swords of penetration. On second thought, it would probably be a little *too* useful...
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 at 07:36 (GMT -5)

Soirana: Yes you can get wish via wand of wonder, it is a free wish, and you get the spell castings increased or given

Silfir: When your heart is pumping, that means it cast neutralize poison.When it's the wand of wonder and it casts wish, it acts like a wand of wishing, by saying,"What do you wish for?"

And about the shops, they could always have their limits, like only stocking up to mithril items in low danger levels. In higher, they could possess prefixes+suffixes, among higher metals. These kinds of things are what I'm incorparating into my game, though Wal-mart is the main store for everything, just like Waldenbrooks'.

I'll tell you what, I had a hell of a time killing Nonnak just about 45 minutes ago....I was slowed to about 40 from the ice.I now know alchemy due to a potion of education, so offensive alchemy was used eventually, my first time ever.I have 11 SoCR, and have 3 SLB's got a wish out of a pool, on very first drink, so I'm not taking any more chances. Found a book of lightning book, so I may do Darkforge early. Almost died to 2 lichs in the CoC graveyard...closest to death ever.
F50
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 at 11:12 (GMT -5)

I remember being killed by zapping a cursed wand of wonder. My hp was at -1325 or so. I think it was wish but I don't know.

-Maelstrom
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 at 11:52 (GMT -5)

You may have just casted death ray on yourself, I did that once before I knew that it wasn't wish if it asked for which direction to cast.But when I EVENTUALLY get this ultimate archmage thing going, I'll test that too, whether B/U/C status affects what spells it casts.
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 at 11:54 (GMT -5)

Oh, also: Soirana, since you seem very experienced at ADOM, would you mind trying to create a mindcrafter archmage, because it could take me months to achieve that, since:
1:I've never made an archmage to begin with
2:Can't seem to get mindcrafters far right now
3:Busy with drakish healer

Of course someone else can try it too, and also, if someone creates some awesome mindcrafter archmage, would they mind emailing the char to me?
F50
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 at 12:13 (GMT -5)

For a quick (relatively) mindcrafter archmage you might try gremlin-scumming for a wish engine in the smc ala. Eternium man (see the newsgroup, rec.games.rouguelike.adom. Look for threads with Eternium mentioned in the title)except visiting Yerigus first for pickpocket and continuing on afterwards. The wish engine will yield enough SoCRs for the rest of the game.

-Maelstrom
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

4144 days, 3 hours, 55 minutes and 19 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 at 13:07 (GMT -5)

no i'm fed up with wish engines. done what twice and probably will have to do in my current game.
and i see no fun in it. neither in endless copypasting nor in gameplay after that.

good luck too you.
A root is a flower that disdains fame.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
Some guy
Registered user
I'm baaaack.

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 at 15:42 (GMT -5)

As much as I enjoy my gremlin scumming, I never want to make an archmage. I probably could if I wanted to, but I simply don't have the patience.

I used to think all spells from a wand of wonder were directional, so I once got the message "You waste this precious invocation!" and thought I had wasted a wish by casting it away from me. It turned out to be distroy undead, or something along those lines.

The homunculus hits you. You suddenly fall asleep! Do you want to continue to read the spellbook of Calm Monster? [y/N]
F50
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 at 19:49 (GMT -5)

I would never make an archmage. I might wish engine for a ULE when I evenutally try to attempt one IF I get the chance to do it (I don't want to gremlin-scum for long at all).

-Maelstrom
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 at 05:37 (GMT -5)

The only time I gremlin scummed was by using hawkslayer, he killed them for me, which started my wish engine in my first regular win.

When I say archmage, I don't mean it only in the infinite wishing aspect, I also mean using the wishes so you can constantly wish for more and more wands of wonder, so you'll eventually be able to cast spells from memory, just like a wizard. I see a mindcrafter that can cast magic missile at 100+ effectivity very powerful, or acid ball, since that char would be able to destroy anything in my opinion...
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 at 10:42 (GMT -5)

I've raised my drakish healer's hp to 500'sumthin,from 330, using PoUH from Jharod.I managed to get a spellbook of summon monsters.Is this considered scummy?I may do it more, if the potions can damage greater undead.

It's day 80,and I have the following major things done:
Nonnak
Dwarf quests
Khelly
ToEF
Water Dragon's Cave raided, not killed...
lvl 21
DV 100,PV 44
RotHK
mediocre knowledge of 4 attack spells, lightning ball/bolt, frost bolt/ice ball
crowned, with fire immunity, precrowned 2
Found wyrmlance in darkforge

So now I'm stuck:I have the recipe for potions of blindness, which could be used on water dragon + wyrmlance, but I'm not too confident with only 40 DV...or should I go to Rift, get lots of spells,training wyrmlance in process, then do blup's mom or bug temple with spells, and get dex ridiculously high?I don't have ANY morgia though, so my Willpower will go down to 1, basically eliminating my spell's usefulness.I wasted too much time getting my DV+PV so high by smithing+getting PoUH. I do need some spells though, or a good bow with slaying ammo, because I'm currently not going to be ready for alot of toughies, ancient stone beast for one, cat lord too....
Some guy
Registered user
I'm baaaack.

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 at 10:43 (GMT -5)

Holy crap man, that'll take years. Have fun.

Edit: This was aimed at your second last post... look at the times of posting.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 3/23/2007 at 10:45 (GMT -5) by Some guy]
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 at 10:47 (GMT -5)

I believe that someone on the forums, maybe The Real J., got 100+ effectivity in magic missile alot, since he used it mostly. I love MM because nothing can be immune to it...including yourself:(
Some guy
Registered user
I'm baaaack.

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 at 11:27 (GMT -5)

Yeah, and that was on a wizard. 100 effectivity would take 5050 casts of the spell - and it takes more than 1 point of spell learning to zap one missile. That's a lot of wonder scumming.

Then again, if you get learning to 99 and are born in book (not cup), magic missile spellbooks should be easy enough to read.

F50
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 at 11:51 (GMT -5)

Wyrmlance is you main weapon? Do you feel ready to go for pool intrinsics (and a wish hopefully) in darkforge? Do you have TC? What do you have for PV? Do you lack any relatively mundane items? Do you feel like taking on a GM? Several? Do you have the Dodge skill? SoE might be a good idea, Dodge, athletics, alchemy, and any other skill will all go up a bit (if not 100) with your level increases which should come relatively quickly with the cat lord, stone beast, water dragon, and a GM or two. Also, if you can get yourself to the point where you can wish for Emperor Moloch and expect to survive the game will be a lot less dangerous. The moloch armor that you could get in that would be welcome as well.

-Maelstrom
Go to page 1 2

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: