Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Stupid trees

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
Hendar23
Registered user

Last page view:

5650 days, 15 hours, 17 minutes and 28 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 at 06:11 (GMT -5)

I can't get past the animated forest! Even with a ring of invisiblilty, duel wielding shields and absolutley not attacking one of them I just get worn down and killed. Once I even starved to death without finding the exit. Any tips anyone? Is it possible to kill all the trees? I've heard it's an easy section, just tedious...what am I doing wrong? Should I just go the other way?

Stoopid <insert your favourite blasphemy here> trees!
"Men are born for games. Nothing else. Every child knows that play is nobler than work" - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5135 days, 7 hours, 8 minutes and 16 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 at 08:21 (GMT -5)

Hm. Move to where they are not for as long as you can, but you usually need to kill SOME trees, at least when they become packed together near the stairs. High speed is good, as is NOT dual-wielding there.

I always take the Dwarven halls, but then again I usually don't go there untill I'm decently prepared (usually I want a precrown first), but if I meet something tough I backtrack and go down & up through the forest. I never pass it more than twice (for the quest), mabye thats what you're doing wrong. After I pass them once there is a lot I can do before going there again, and DH is never a problem then (if you have an amulet of life saving, getting stuff from Khelevaster & grabbing water orb can be useful)
Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

3593 days, 3 hours, 36 minutes and 20 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 at 15:21 (GMT -5)

This is what my hurthling paladin did two hours ago (R.I.P. now, died to a stone ooze in the Arena... didn't watch my HP and it paralyzed me):
Went to DH1, and read a SoFS -> Greater Fire Elemental. I let him kill like 100 trees and collected a lot of loot before I decided he was injured enough (moderately) and went down the stairs. It's pretty easy with an elemental, his fire breath wiped out 6-7 trees at once. And by the time I get to Dwarftown, I usually have at least 2 SoFS, no matter what class I am. I think I usually get one from the dwarven mystic, but I don't remember for sure.
For the Horde!
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user
Master of all things nOOby!!!

Last page view:

5757 days, 15 hours, 9 minutes and 11 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 at 18:03 (GMT -5)

Well, I noticed in your first post, Hendar23, that you did not necessarily go on Coward mode.This could potentially make a huge difference in your survival.

I generally think that the forest is excellent for experience, if you're lucky enough to find protector+scorched spear. Never thought I would have a use for plant slaying till I needed 5 levels of exp:D
"You try to give Fang, the large dog the bone. Fang, the large dog says,"Do you know who I am, mortal?!?!"
My smartest dog ever:D
Some guy
Registered user
I'm baaaack.

Last page view:

5596 days, 23 hours, 45 minutes and 40 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 at 00:37 (GMT -5)

Yeah, I always take the DH when possible. Invisibility, controlled teleport and SLB's all make the journey much easier.

You say "without finding the exit". The exit is in the opposite corner from the entrance, in case you didn't know already.

You can't kill all the trees, as more are generated constantly.

The only time I've intentionally killed a large amount of trees is when I wanted logs on my archer. It's easier than chopping.

n00b-mAsTeR: Good thinking, I guess plant slaying is useful afterall. If we only had a "slime cave", then Soaker also wouldn't be a piece of junk.
The following is a real Adom message:

The homunculus hits you. You suddenly fall asleep! Do you want to continue to read the spellbook of Calm Monster? [y/N]
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 at 13:05 (GMT -5)

Actually, you can 'make' a jelly cave:D

you know how before I stated that whenever I get jelly vaults,(this is provided I have an acid proof weapon)I just scum them for exp and items, since they reproduce quickly, and can be readily available for all chars.(provided that you have a jelly vault, or protect a jelly, preferably green slime till it has a whole army, and just take your time killing them, and I say green slimes, since the sickness could allow you to increase your strength in the process.) Yeah, I sometimes amaze even myself with my crappy strategies:D
"You try to give Fang, the large dog the bone. Fang, the large dog says,"Do you know who I am, mortal?!?!"
Some guy
Registered user
I'm baaaack.

Last page view:

5596 days, 23 hours, 45 minutes and 40 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 at 22:30 (GMT -5)

Interesting strategy. I personally prefer gremlins to traditional breeders, but that's because I'm a scummy cheater.
The following is a real Adom message:

The homunculus hits you. You suddenly fall asleep! Do you want to continue to read the spellbook of Calm Monster? [y/N]
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 at 13:19 (GMT -5)

I created that strategy after getting frustrated with my former dark elven barbarian's strength, and since I saved all of the ogre corpses from ogre cave, I ate all of the blessed corpses(I like to be safe with stat corpses), while sick from the slimes, I got around 10 in strength. Very nice for weak pc's,because you get items too from slimes, though not alot if gelatinous cubes destroy items...
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

4143 days, 6 hours, 30 minutes and 44 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 at 19:52 (GMT -5)

why not to use devil roses as others do?

you are on scumming route anyway.
A root is a flower that disdains fame.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5135 days, 7 hours, 8 minutes and 16 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 at 02:31 (GMT -5)

Yes. Come to the dark side....

Starvation works veeery good too. You'd want stomachemptia for this to take real effect though. I always sell all Ogre corpses to Waldenbrook, so they won't rot, then you'll have enough time to eat them. Like, starve, buy one, eat, then wear artifacts and invisibility till starving again. You have no chance of starvation death as long as you don't starve away half your current Str. So with, say, 36 STR, safe to starve to 19, then get sick for -2 more, and you can still gain ST from ogres. Learning and Dex and Willpower also fade with starvation, but toughness sadly doesn't, only sickness works there.

In response to OP: There really is no big hurry to pass the forest, is what I was trying to say. If you are too weak, get stronger because you don't need anything down there. If you are strong enough, go through DH. If you happen upon some rare dangerous monster blocking your way, use forest as a last resort.

EDIT: I always stop 1 point before half strength. Anyone know if death can occur if you are say at 10 str with a normal str of 20?

EDIT: Guess I can find out.

EDIT: New correct information about starvation, strength and death:
A character's strength is reduced by 4 or 5 at the onset of starvation. 4 if origianl STR is an even number, 5 if odd. After some time, Str (and other stats like WI, LE and DX) will be lowered gradually further, down to half this value. When STR stat hits bottom, it will remain constant (as opposed to changing every few steps) for a while (10-50 turns), after which time death by starvation will set in.

Sickness will lower ST by 2, but this is calculated before the halving.

Example: Your character has 19 STR. When he becomes starving, this drops to 14. After a brief time it will start dropping to 7. It will remain at 7 for a while until death. If character was sickened, 17 STR becomes 12, then drops to 6. Other stats do not receive the initial hit, and will therefore only drop to half of original (rounded down). So if that char had 10 LE and 11 WI, they would drop to 5 each.

Corollary: Assume the 17 strength is the maximum allowed for a possiblility of gaining +1 ST from ogre corpses. (Giants go higher, I know). That means a character can have 41 STR and still become strong from regular ogres. (Sickness ->39, drop 5->34, halve to 17.) And that is without weakness rings. And giants can go higher.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 4/7/2007 at 07:27 (GMT -5) by Molach]
Portrait
Hendar23
Registered user

Last page view:

5650 days, 15 hours, 17 minutes and 28 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 at 12:32 (GMT -5)

Thanks for the tips peeps :D
"Men are born for games. Nothing else. Every child knows that play is nobler than work" - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3891 days, 23 hours, 29 minutes and 53 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 at 03:58 (GMT -5)

if you have means of teleportation, even just randomly teleporting around, this might be useful in the animated forest. Cast teleport right after you have entered the level, and you'll most likely get closer to the opther side, you can do this a few times, until you are past half the level oslt. this can make the visit on the level significantly shorter, which in turn leads to less trees generated while you are there, and then it's easier to get back
"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: