Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Trolls dual wielding

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
Tianjin
Registered user
for monsters - Death incarnate

Last page view:

5593 days, 15 hours, 19 minutes and 57 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 at 03:56 (GMT -5)

I'm 9 feet tall, a two-handed sword should be just like a long dagger or short sword for me.

I REALLY want to dual wield eternium two-handed swords - with Grand Mastery, and lots of smithing/scrolls, I'd become Death.

Imagine dual wielding
Eternium two-handed swords of penetration (+37, 6d5 +37)

Almost nothing would survive two rounds.
Try the TiLiCat! It's experience!

Tiger, stuffed with deboned Lion, stuffed with deboned Wildcat, and slow roasted with a mix of herbs. (served raw for Trolls)
Some guy
Registered user
I'm baaaack.

Last page view:

5597 days, 4 hours, 50 minutes and 6 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 at 11:02 (GMT -5)

You forgot "murderous".
The following is a real Adom message:

The homunculus hits you. You suddenly fall asleep! Do you want to continue to read the spellbook of Calm Monster? [y/N]
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user
Master of all things nOOby!!!

Last page view:

5757 days, 20 hours, 13 minutes and 37 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 at 13:12 (GMT -5)

Murderous increases critical hit percentage,which penetrates PV and does more damage, which makes Murderous eternium 2-H'ded swords of penetration redundant...ideally, I'd have a poisonous eternium 2-Handed Sword of penetration, with tons of scrolls of increase melee accuracy/melee damage. Poison is one of my fav techniques, which is why I like assasins, yet I still suck with them.
"You try to give Fang, the large dog the bone. Fang, the large dog says,"Do you know who I am, mortal?!?!"
My smartest dog ever:D
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4062 days, 7 hours and 29 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 at 09:57 (GMT -5)

Critical hits do not bypass PV. You're confusing something there.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
F50
Registered user

Last page view:

5469 days, 21 hours, 43 minutes and 47 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 at 11:07 (GMT -5)

Yes, critical hits most certainly *do* bypass PV. I am not sure if that's all they do but a slaying weapon will always critical hit your target and thus always be able to damage it (even if the weapon like an arrow of slaying for instance, isn't very good).
"If the bread weights that much in the draklor chain, then it's no wonder so many die of starvation.
AND - what kind of IRON RATION weights as much as an iron shield?! A dinner for four, oven included? ;)"

-Maelstrom
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user
Master of all things nOOby!!!

Last page view:

5757 days, 20 hours, 13 minutes and 37 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 at 14:27 (GMT -5)

Thanks F50 for clarifying that for me. Yes, that's why DV,as I've said before, is the most important of the two, seeing as how most low ID monsters ALWAYS get criticals...
"You try to give Fang, the large dog the bone. Fang, the large dog says,"Do you know who I am, mortal?!?!"
My smartest dog ever:D
F50
Registered user

Last page view:

5469 days, 21 hours, 43 minutes and 47 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 at 16:45 (GMT -5)

DV is important. But 20 points of PV will protect you from the early monsters in addition to removing 20 points of damage per enemy hit. Only claw bugs and killer bugs always get criticals. if that is most low ID monsters your char is *unlucky*. Criticals outside of the SMC are quite rare. I have never been critical hit by a nasty monster because I take care to reduce the amount of time I am exposed to said monster and keep a reasonable DV.

A high-PV (60+) character can ignore most generated monsters because critical hits from these monsters don't come fast enough to make a dent in your hp. An average lvl 14 character vs the water dragon illustrates this (and most lvl 20 characters are *not* most monsters as they can deal out 60+ points of damage/hit).

Actually this discussion is OT and useless but...
"If the bread weights that much in the draklor chain, then it's no wonder so many die of starvation.
AND - what kind of IRON RATION weights as much as an iron shield?! A dinner for four, oven included? ;)"

-Maelstrom
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5135 days, 12 hours, 12 minutes and 42 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 at 18:20 (GMT -5)

OP: Mabye, yeah. But if all was realistic, then your troll would attack REAL slow with those swords. A small, fast character with a dagger of troll slaying should be able to slice both your hamstrings and run away before your could retaliate :).

For last few messages: I know for a fact that critical hits do not bypass PV. Easy to test for yourself, attack emperor moloch with demon/humanoid slaying while in "normal" mode, and you are likely to get a "hit with full force but do not harm him". I've seen this message routinely versus mid-high PV monsters.

Criticals do a lot of damage, 2x, 3x or 4x, don't know. But the damage is then reduced by your enemy's PV. As the emperor moloch is clearly a proof of. So indeed, murderous XXX of penetrating would be quite nice. Even more if Critical chance stacks with find weakness skill and criticals from items like Ring of the Master Cat or Bracers of War.

Bugs (claw, greater claw, killer) have a natural penetrating attack. Always. They can in addition to this cause criticals. Which really will hurt.
Portrait
Tianjin
Registered user
for monsters - Death incarnate

Last page view:

5593 days, 15 hours, 19 minutes and 57 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 at 01:15 (GMT -5)

Hi Some guy,

I wanted to add 'murderous' but that would have been REALLY outside the realms of possibility.

I have found 2 eternium 2-hand swords of penetration - in a single game before, but in nearly a decade of playing, I've never found a decent
(prefix) eternium 2hand sword of (suffix)

I've found - flaming [x] of weakness,
and - hefty [x] of corruption,
and other semi-useless junk.

I KNOW it's impossible to dual-wield 2-hand swords anyway, so if I'm going to dream, I should dream big - but...

I'm positive the Creator will never change the generation rate of the weapons - prefix + suffix, but a well reasoned argument might have the tiniest teensy little chance of allowing 9-foot-tall creatures to dual-wield 2-hand swords...

Or so I dream.
Try the TiLiCat! It's experience!

Tiger, stuffed with deboned Lion, stuffed with deboned Wildcat, and slow roasted with a mix of herbs. (served raw for Trolls)
Cat Lord Lord
Registered user
Not really

Last page view:

5438 days, 23 hours, 18 minutes and 53 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, April 15, 2007 at 11:32 (GMT -5)

Slaying I'm pretty sure doesn't *always* penetrate PV. That's why you can't fight the EM with Purifier.
Homework is not meant for home! It's a sick verbal coincidence!
-My brother
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4233 days, 6 hours, 18 minutes and 19 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, April 15, 2007 at 19:21 (GMT -5)

Slaying causes triple damage. Critical causes double I think, but I could be wrong. I agree with Molach - I've very often seen the message "You hit the foo with full force but do not manage to harm him". It often seems like slaying or critical bypasses PV just because of how much damage it does, but that's normally because it does enough damage to make PV quite irrelevant.

As for prefixes and suffixes, I think it's been shown with testing before that you get more of them the higher your character level. So a level 50 character is more likely to find the legendary murderous eternium halberd of penetration (halberds do more damage and benefit from being polearms, so I'd rather that than a two-handed sword). The fact that you get more with level means trolls will generally find less prefix/suffixed items in a game.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5135 days, 12 hours, 12 minutes and 42 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 at 07:14 (GMT -5)

Dual-wielding halberds would be very very tricky, and probably not optimal use of that weapon class. While two-handed swords are just heavier swords and could be dual-wielded if you had the strength. This just speaking from Real-life considerations.

I wonder how murderous, find weakness and +crit from bracers of war stack. It is possible that with the two latter, murderous becomes less important, in which case wicked will be better. And two-handed swords profit more from this prefix than halberds. And two-handed swords have better +hit.
Consider the following: Two chars, one with a wicked ETHS of penetration, and one with wicked EH of penetration, both with +15 weapon skill. I should probably add the +damage bonus from St and level? and +hit from level and Dx?, but don't know how much that is.
Eternium TH sword: +38 to hit, 75 damage avg, +7 DV
Eternium Halberds: +31 to hit, 42 damage avg, +20 DV
damage bonus from items and St will make damage difference proportianally less.
Some guy
Registered user
I'm baaaack.

Last page view:

5597 days, 4 hours, 50 minutes and 6 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 at 00:43 (GMT -5)

I can confirm what Molach says about critical hits vs. penetration. My experience has also shown it to work that way.

Sure, to take the topic further off track, I've always wondered about the +crit bonuses in BoW and RotMC. When a weapon has +crit it's extremely noticable, and it's fairly easy to spot the difference between 0 find weakness and 100. But how much help does a +crit bonus really provide from an armor slot?
The following is a real Adom message:

The homunculus hits you. You suddenly fall asleep! Do you want to continue to read the spellbook of Calm Monster? [y/N]
Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

4592 days, 20 hours, 23 minutes and 33 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 at 14:02 (GMT -5)

If you really want to dual wield 2 handed swords, play Diablo 2! Barbarians are the only class able to do so, and the weapons do 50% of their normal damage. But it sure is fun swinging those huge swords around!

Anyway, back to ADOM. As far as critical hit %, I'd estimate 100 Find Weakness = 10% crit chance. Some items, like the Emerald Dagger "Serpents Bite" which has +crit, seem to enhance crit chance quite a bit more, like 15-20%, at least from what I saw when I was using it. Same with AotME and MMSG (Mighty Morning Star "Grod").

Another thing I noticed. When fighting lower level, less experienced enemies, you seem to score a lot more critical hits, and get less against more experienced opponents.
"As for me, I feel priveleged to be among the only species able to make scientific inquiries." -unknown

"Be sure to keep your distance if you don't have resistance." -DG

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: