Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Mindcrafter things

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 2 pages long.
Go to page 1 2
Frim
Registered user
playing since gamma 12

Last page view:

6142 days, 5 hours, 11 minutes and 35 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 at 02:28 (GMT -5)

So I found out some new things while playing with my already lvl 22 hurthling mindcrafter...

On his birthday he found a book shop in the High King cave:) And he can't read a book of light with literacy 100 and learning 24. Oh well.

Mindcrafting doesn't train Mana stat. I found this to be rather annoying, and rather unfair (can't cast spells and many monsters manage to resist mindcraft).

So the only hope of training Mana are potions of wonder and hoping he'll get a spell that's in the shop (or the Library, haven't been there yet). So now I am basically playing him now as a fighter, and finding most use from confusion:)

Mindcrafting some creatures corrupts, examples are chaos siblings (obvious), but dark elven princess? I mean, just because she's a dark elf doesn't mean she's corrupted. They are evil by nature:)

Well, I just hope it won't be a YASD any time soon. And btw, when was the last time you've lost a character to kicking stairs? Is it really worth training like that? I got St from 5 to 17 with Strained...
Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

3571 days, 22 hours, 38 minutes and 43 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 at 06:03 (GMT -5)

What exactly do you train if you kick stairs?
For the Horde!
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5114 days, 2 hours, 10 minutes and 39 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 at 06:15 (GMT -5)

Dark elven priestess corrupts when she shits you, ICYDNK.

Wand of wonder are more common that potions. And then you are golden, because there are the 2 ways to recharge wands.

I played a Troll mindcrafter (which eventually won) like that, fighter who used confusion. It had to, PP was so low that one or two damage spells would empty it.

And concentration helps with reading spellbooks. So you can say "100 literacy, 100 concentratin, 24 learning and I STILL couldn't read a book". If you get learning to like 40 you might be able to read light and darkness...
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4211 days, 20 hours, 16 minutes and 16 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 at 06:59 (GMT -5)

As a hurthling you have Archery, which is extremely handy for mindcrafters, especially in dealing with undead/demons. The mindcraft itself gets quite a bit more powerful with levels. You should already be making decent use of Telekinet Blast. Obviously you'll want to get your Wi as high as possible. One notable thing about mindcraft is there's no "training" for it - you don't have effectivity like spells, so it's fairly powerful from the start but can't be increased to great heights like spells can.

Like Molach says, get a wand of wonder and keep recharging and zapping the hell out of it. With book-casting you'll be able to train your Mana stat a lot higher (which of course means more PP).
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Frim
Registered user
playing since gamma 12

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 at 13:15 (GMT -5)

Thx for the Wands of Wonder tip, I thought it only makes you cast spell, but it also gives small amount of knowledge as well.

I am aware of Archery and am making good use of it, concetration was the first skill that was maxed.

But...I drank from a pool and got intrisic invisibility. Not a big problem (except pickpocketing nonhostiles draws me towards chaotic), but...shopkeepers. I am not in the shop, but after looking at me for a few turns, they go mad and attack me. How to get past this? Other than drinking from pools, and potions of visibility aren't an option...
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 at 13:37 (GMT -5)

They shouldn't attack you for that. Are you sure you don't have the unholy aura corruption? That would cause them to attack you (they say something along the lines of "Stop scaring away my customers!")
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3870 days, 18 hours, 32 minutes and 16 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 at 15:47 (GMT -5)

Or you could have some armor 'of hate' equipped, which causes the same reaction as the unholy aura corruption
"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 4/28/2007 at 15:55 (GMT -5) by Morio]
Frim
Registered user
playing since gamma 12

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 at 10:08 (GMT -5)

It seems it was just me being paranoid...and I've found a pool, got a wish:) and after a few more drinks, my outfit looked much cleaner. So I lost invisibility, I still have RoI and a cloak as well.

Wished for...eternium tower shields. even though he's nearing lvl 25, his shield was never better than +5,+1. So well...Wore amulet of order for a while, then went to the graveyard (room full of dwarven chaos knights = lots of pickaxes). First grave and a lich gave me...PoGA and a RoDS. So a spare wish, and I already got 2 7LBs. I could use a penetrating weapon. I've got it! Rings of weakness:)

btw digging graves + blessed arrows of undead slaying...nice. I still have dwarven graveyard to dig, and I marked all "great treasure" graves with a bone:)

Any better suggestions? I won't play today anymore, so give me advices on how to make a better use of my wish. I saved Khelly already.

That's all for now...
Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 at 11:22 (GMT -5)

GoGS, SoCR or rings of weakness.
For the Horde!
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user
Master of all things nOOby!!!

Last page view:

5736 days, 10 hours, 11 minutes and 34 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 at 12:12 (GMT -5)

"Dark elven priestess corrupts when she shits you, ICYDNK."-Molach

I cracked up laughing when I read this....which brought an idea to my mind: if in adom you have to eat due to fatigue, where does that food go that you ate? ^o^
"You try to give Fang, the large dog the bone. Fang, the large dog says,"Do you know who I am, mortal?!?!"
My smartest dog ever:D
Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 at 14:18 (GMT -5)

Herb fertilizer :P
For the Horde!
Frim
Registered user
playing since gamma 12

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 at 16:03 (GMT -5)

SoCRs are plenty, 6 + 1 already I've got. Dwarven mystic wasn't so happy to see me and gave me PoGA and PoTraining, but I still have 5+3 guaranteed scrolls from the minstrel and the bug temple, more than enough.

GoGS...maybe, but I think I'll go for RoW cause I already have about a dozen Ogre corpses, a stone giant, a fomorian giant etc...and get those +12 to St:D
Frim
Registered user
playing since gamma 12

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 at 07:24 (GMT -5)

One weapon that makes THE difference when playing mindcrafter...Purifier. Just got it, immediately cleared Darkforge with ease. Killed Kherab too so I am off to some smithing. With an undead, unlife & demon slayer and the ability to confuse and greatly damage all others, it's only bugs and chaos beings I fear now.

BTW does anyone know how corrupting is mindcrafting chaos beings?
F50
Registered user

Last page view:

5448 days, 11 hours, 41 minutes and 44 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 at 09:18 (GMT -5)

Ogre corpses don't work with RoW. If you aren't already wearing one, wish for an AoLS to wear for some extra life insurance (watch out for dragons and traps though, its iron!).
"If the bread weights that much in the draklor chain, then it's no wonder so many die of starvation.
AND - what kind of IRON RATION weights as much as an iron shield?! A dinner for four, oven included? ;)"

-Maelstrom

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 4/30/2007 at 09:18 (GMT -5) by F50]
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

4122 days, 1 hour, 33 minutes and 7 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 at 11:21 (GMT -5)

>Ogre corpses don't work with RoW.
something new... could we get details?
A root is a flower that disdains fame.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
Frim
Registered user
playing since gamma 12

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 at 11:29 (GMT -5)

Strange thing to say, and I must say I've got +3 to St after eating 5 Ogre corpses. So what made you claim otherwise, F50?

Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3870 days, 18 hours, 32 minutes and 16 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 at 12:12 (GMT -5)

Frim, I hope you're not planning on smithing in DF, because it's highly corrupting (corruption rate equal to D:20-29).
"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 4/30/2007 at 12:12 (GMT -5) by Morio]
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5114 days, 2 hours, 10 minutes and 39 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 at 15:23 (GMT -5)

Ogre corpses are not nearly as good as giving the +1 St as giants are. I'd say around 30% for ogres.

But RoW sets your St to 2, and that works just fine regardless of creature eaten.
Frim
Registered user
playing since gamma 12

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 at 17:15 (GMT -5)

3 hill giants in a row failed to raise my St :( But I've just got my second "excited" level with giants, so I guess St will rise, it's currently 36 (and started with 5) :D

I have a forge on CoC:7...
F50
Registered user

Last page view:

5448 days, 11 hours, 41 minutes and 44 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 at 22:19 (GMT -5)

1: I have tried it with ogres from the ogre cave while my St was well beyond the regular limit with RoW (in the cave itself and I did not get any increases) and...
2: It was said somewhere else on this forum.
"If the bread weights that much in the draklor chain, then it's no wonder so many die of starvation.
AND - what kind of IRON RATION weights as much as an iron shield?! A dinner for four, oven included? ;)"

-Maelstrom

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 4/30/2007 at 22:20 (GMT -5) by F50]
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 at 09:12 (GMT -5)

I've gotten St to 99 using rings of weakness and the "ogre army" encounter in the wilderness. It works best if the ring is cursed to bring your St down to 2. Also helps if you patrol the mountain section of the wilderness since you can encounter stone giants there too.
Frim
Registered user
playing since gamma 12

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 at 10:29 (GMT -5)

RoW is autocursing so...it's always cursed once you put it on.
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 at 12:41 (GMT -5)

Well, sometimes people will bless or uncurse it straight after wearing it so the St isn't as low. You might also be tempted to wear St boosting items to allow you to carry more, but this makes certain corpses almost never give an increase.
Frim
Registered user
playing since gamma 12

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 at 04:49 (GMT -5)

Actually, I drop all items, put on RoW, eat both stomaceptia and corpses off the ground, and when I'm done, I pick it all up. No worries...
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

4122 days, 1 hour, 33 minutes and 7 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 at 08:34 (GMT -5)

except for forgetting pick up stuff.
happened to me once.
A root is a flower that disdains fame.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
Silfir
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 at 11:44 (GMT -5)

The one time I did the RoW thing, I just stored most of my stuff in a safe location, left with very low-weighing, but superior equipment, enough to kill the opponents quite safely. Alternatively, just use spells.

Being strained requires more food, and lessens your need of stomacemptia somewhat.

Ogre armies, stone giant patrols and hill giant war parties work nicely. I'd patrol the hills, since you can also get hill orc encounters there, and their corpses train toughness, which means your useful corpses per encounter possibilies rate is higher (or so it seems to me). Switching is good because after some time, the monsters you use to kill for corpses gain more experience.
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4040 days, 20 hours, 58 minutes and 26 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 at 11:47 (GMT -5)

Next time I log in before I post. Obviously, spells should be used by those who need to train them anyway. To avoid the increase in experience you could use a pet, but that nullifies your Food Preservation and -foo- of hunting bonuses.

Ring of Weakness scumming is always horribly time-consuming in my eyes...
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Frim
Registered user
playing since gamma 12

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 at 12:24 (GMT -5)

Well, after finding a "truly excited" level filled with giants, my St is 75, and it feels like cheating. I don't think I'll do it anymore, it's now almost too easy...

Not to mention that Executor was in the vault. Purifier + Executor = I don't think there's much that can stop me now...just beware of doppelganger kings and I ought to finish this one quite easily. First kill was a giant rat, so diving do ID:114 might prove to be a real challenge. I think I'm gonna kill the greater black unicorn this time...
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4040 days, 20 hours, 58 minutes and 26 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 at 13:06 (GMT -5)

If you want your challenge back, drink PoEx until your Appearance is 75 and the rest lousy ;)
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Frim
Registered user
playing since gamma 12

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 at 16:46 (GMT -5)

I'll finish with this one and I don't think I'll be using RoW again...

As it seems, he won't need mindcraft at all:)

Though, 8 blasts did kill cat lord so...useful, very useful!:)
Go to page 1 2

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: