Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Upcoming Challenge: Roleplay

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 2 pages long.
Go to page 1 2
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user
Master of all things nOOby!!!

Last page view:

5756 days, 20 hours and 47 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 at 19:25 (GMT -5)

Here's my upcoming challenge to everyone...

Roleplay a fictional or non-fictional person, monster, or whatever, in every aspect possible with a character.

Some examples: Drizzt from books, Gandalf, yourself, Saddam Hussein,or anybody!!! This could prove very funny, and in this thread I would like people to post opinions, and for the sake of variety, no one can roleplay in adom the same person/monster. So post yours as soon as possible!!!!

An example of your post of reservation:

Saddam Hussein
Male Human Assassin, black hair
Uses hand crossbow(represents his pistol)
Uses fists(never seen with melee weapon)
Wear relatively light clothing(leather top)
OCG ending(since he gets overthrown)

That's an example....dunno what i'm gonna do...

"You try to give Fang, the large dog the bone. Fang, the large dog says,"Do you know who I am, mortal?!?!"
My smartest dog ever:D
Some guy
Registered user
I'm baaaack.

Last page view:

5596 days, 4 hours, 37 minutes and 16 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 at 01:50 (GMT -5)

Interesting. If I start jonesin' for more Adom I'll try to think of something funny I could play. This certainly isn't a standard challenge game, but it seems like it could be a fun chance for everyone to set their own restrictions and share results.
The following is a real Adom message:

The homunculus hits you. You suddenly fall asleep! Do you want to continue to read the spellbook of Calm Monster? [y/N]

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 5/10/2007 at 01:53 (GMT -5) by Some guy]
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5134 days, 11 hours, 59 minutes and 52 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 at 07:59 (GMT -5)

I actually did Drizzt a little while back. For him I started dark elf ranger, went L as soon as possible (missed getting detect traps), and I had to always dual-wield, swords or daggers. He won the game, too.

Harry Potter - human wizard, never cast spell without book or using wand...

Dragonbait - Drakeling paladin (from some AD&D forgotten realms book, forgot which)

George bush - Human merchant. Won't comment on playstyle since people may have different political views...

Mother Theresa - True pacifist, only use pets/slaves to advance.

Conan, Grishnak (Orc from LotR), Satan's little helper (evil, like)...
Silfir
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 at 09:24 (GMT -5)

George Bush - Human merchant who also never trains in any sort of mercantile abilities. He did mess up that one baseball team, right?

Also, play him as an alcoholic and let him die against the first monster he encounters.

Mother Theresa is unlikely to use any kind of slave, I think ;) Play her as a human priest and try to get as far as possible without directly harming monsters or using anyone to do it, just luring them in traps or putting them up against each other, using Healing spells on yourself to survive. You won't win, but it could be fun.
F50
Registered user

Last page view:

5468 days, 21 hours, 30 minutes and 57 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 at 11:24 (GMT -5)

Frodo -- Hurthling whatever. Give him a ring of invisibility, a wand of Destruction and several wands of digging, food as necessary and the fire orb (must not hold to get the +10 st) to start via some cheat program. Go directly to the CoC. Must never use an up staircase.

Gimli -- Dwarvish Fighter. Use axe without shield. Axe must weigh less than 150s.

Legolas -- High Elven Archer. Must only use knives in melee.

Pied Piper -- Human Bard. Cannot kill monsters himself. make pets of all rats (double points for getting them killed afterwards).
"If the bread weights that much in the draklor chain, then it's no wonder so many die of starvation.
AND - what kind of IRON RATION weights as much as an iron shield?! A dinner for four, oven included? ;)"

-Maelstrom
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user

Last page view:

5756 days, 20 hours and 47 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 at 19:41 (GMT -5)

Ok, since there is obviously interest, from now on everyone should 'reserve' their character. And some notes on how to win this challenge....

The win will be not be based off of points, or whether you win the game or not. We'll all give each other's characters a rating in the end from 1-50, 1 being the best, and 50 worst. Also, I'd prefer if the characters do require winning, or some pathetic way of dying late in game to some specific person...haha.Oh, and I personally think that each person should get 3 tries at their character, since the added challenges are varied and not the same for everyone.

My character will be....

King Moloch, the Trollish Fighter
Use only 2-handers/fists
Wear full eternium when available
Wear moloch armor when available
Don't increase speed at all
Raise St and To to max
Play Chaotic Whole Game
Go for OCG*since I die eventually like EM*
No Missile Attacks

I'd say that mine's fairly hard, but should be the ultimate melee fighter(besides the speed...)

I'm looking forward to see what everyone else thinks of, if I get Vanquisher this character will dominate :D
"You try to give Fang, the large dog the bone. Fang, the large dog says,"Do you know who I am, mortal?!?!"
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user

Last page view:

5756 days, 20 hours and 48 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 at 19:51 (GMT -5)

Oh, and another thing: as soon as you post your character, you can start on it, this is going to be a relatively relaxed challenge.

I was going to do Jesus....

Jesus, the Human Priest

Never attack anybody
Get yourself sacrificed by a Ki-Rin on a lawful altar
Only eat bread
Wear a robe and sandals, nothing else
Go for 40 days in wilderness without food....

Someone should try this one...the never attacking anyone part makes it virtually impossible unless you started with like 2 or 3 books of calm monster...
Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

3592 days, 8 hours, 27 minutes and 57 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, May 11, 2007 at 07:08 (GMT -5)

And the 40 days without food part is also impossible, unless he can drink potions/read scrolls of satiation or pray.
For the Horde!
Silfir
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, May 11, 2007 at 12:35 (GMT -5)

Just pray for food...
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4232 days, 6 hours, 5 minutes and 30 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, May 11, 2007 at 14:50 (GMT -5)

According to the Bible the devil tempted Jesus to pray for aid in the desert, but Jesus refused. Besides, the piety cost would end up getting way too high.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, May 11, 2007 at 15:20 (GMT -5)

So is anybody else gonna participate in the challenge too?
F50
Registered user

Last page view:

5468 days, 21 hours, 30 minutes and 58 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, May 11, 2007 at 17:56 (GMT -5)

I think I am going to try Pied Piper even though I have never done bards before.
"If the bread weights that much in the draklor chain, then it's no wonder so many die of starvation.
AND - what kind of IRON RATION weights as much as an iron shield?! A dinner for four, oven included? ;)"

-Maelstrom
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, May 11, 2007 at 18:06 (GMT -5)

Doesn't seem even relatively possible to me....chaos rats, rats, and giant rats are pretty much pathetic unless they're level 110....
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4232 days, 6 hours, 5 minutes and 30 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, May 11, 2007 at 22:49 (GMT -5)

The pied piper can tame numerous animals, surely? He can even tame children (though obviously not possible in ADOM). I'd say a good goal might be to kill everyone all the children in terinyo with rats - would be a laugh to see at least :)

Dunno if I'd take part - it's not exactly a challenge, more just a way of having fun. I guess if I were to join I'd be one of the Nac Mac Feegle from Terry Pratchett's Discworld series. Rules would be:

-gnomish thief
-steals things when possible, even worthless stuff, but obviously not at stupid risks (maybe eventually clean out every single humanoid NPC)
-drinks every potion of booze he finds immediately
-cannot remove the light or very light corruptions
-stick to aggressive tactics unless running away from something
-likes blue stuff
-no big weapons (say max 50s)
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
F50
Registered user

Last page view:

5468 days, 21 hours, 30 minutes and 58 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, May 12, 2007 at 11:23 (GMT -5)

I'll try that if I can get a hold of some good SMC rats.

to restate it again.

Pied Piper -- Human Bard. Cannot kill monsters himself. make pets of all rats (double points for getting them killed afterwards).

So he is not limited to just rats but merely makes pets of all rats he sees.

EDIT: Chalk up three unlucky chars. Whew!

First had herbalism but otherwise a small number of spells. Orc tension room on PC:1. Ouch.

Seccond char had a host of nice skills but found a mixed tension room on PC:1. Ouch.

Third char started off with a PV of three. Yay! Pit vipers, ouch. Almost tamed one with my flute but not before I was poisoned to death.

Bards actually might be a good idea if I could use my sword :P

-Maelstrom

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 5/12/2007 at 11:53 (GMT -5) by F50]
Portrait
Naiyor
Registered user

Last page view:

1878 days, 1 hour, 38 minutes and 29 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, May 12, 2007 at 13:05 (GMT -5)

Hi All,

I was thinking about the "True Monk" (for lack of a better name)

Restrictions are as follows:

- only wear robes/clothes, sandals/light/leather boots, cloaks, and cloth/leather caps.

- only attack with unarmed, staff or sling.

- no offensive magic (spell or wand)

- no learning spells (unless by accident from potion)

- must not use or carry money

- must limit worldly possessions (only carry needed items: orbs, healing potions, SoCR, food etc.)

- may only use RoTHK,for the EG and Elemental Gauntlets/RoFR for tower...at all other times they must not be used. These and all other artifacts must be sacced unless needed.

That is about it...most likely impossible, but I will call him Ydraeb.

I will let you know how it turns out.

Died Level 12...trouble in the big room...that was not fun.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 5/13/2007 at 13:02 (GMT -5) by Naiyor]
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

4142 days, 11 hours, 22 minutes and 21 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, May 12, 2007 at 13:35 (GMT -5)

well,i've just started Buffy:
-female human beastfifghter
-fights with wooden stakes:),kicking is obviously allowded,
-missile weapons are out of question, wands are allowded (i'm not in suicide mode)(throwing stakes is also obviously allowded)
-combat spells are obviously off,non combat... as less ass possible.
-scumming for strength is very welcome:)
-closing of chaos gate is alsoobvious.

just got stake from village elder door.i'd bet she won't last long. but since i can't squeeze my favorite personage into Adom classes... it willdo for a while.
A root is a flower that disdains fame.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
Portrait
Nchurmdaz
Registered user
Goblin flash mobber

Last page view:

5980 days, 20 hours, 43 minutes and 19 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, May 13, 2007 at 05:22 (GMT -5)

Yoda!

Hurthling mindcrafter

He's *very old* and weak =>
- Should become very old by being hit by ghost or by drinking cursed potions of youth ASAP
- No St. training
- Preferably has 'light' corruption
- No weapons except freaky staff - he still can hit with it!
- No armor except for robes or clothes (dirty ones)
- No restrictons on mindcraft
- Should tame Burly Adventurer and pretend he's Luke Skywalker (attempt to teach him something before dying).
- Pretend to be bald, green complexion, with large pointy ears.
- Should die of the old age, best - from unnatural + natural aging
Ubi patria ibi bene!

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 5/13/2007 at 06:17 (GMT -5) by Nchurmdaz]
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, May 13, 2007 at 08:10 (GMT -5)

Nchurmdaz's is very nice, too bad I didn't think of that one. I believe that I'm the only one roleplaying a 'monster' in adom, and I personally haven't even used up one of my 'lives' yet. King Moloch hopefully will kill the Emperor....
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, May 13, 2007 at 14:00 (GMT -5)

Well, as I have posted in Current Chars thread, King Moloch, my first char, has died:(

For my second attempt, I am going to try a different person to roleplay as. I just don't know who to roleplay. I was considering Venom from the Spiderman games and movies.
Portrait
Naiyor
Registered user

Last page view:

1878 days, 1 hour, 38 minutes and 29 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, May 13, 2007 at 15:27 (GMT -5)

**********Attempt #2************

This time, it's Me.

I like knives, the out doors and hunting. I actually throw knives, axes and sling (for more info visit www.slinging.org)

Restrictions:

- human farmer (closest class to me)
- only use knives and clubs
- only axes, spears and rocks (thrown and slung)
- no armour, just clothes and cloaks
- must remain neutral/lawful
- cannot learn magic spells, but can use scrolls, Potions, wands and items (if they existed I would definitely try to use them)
- not a good swimmer.

that is about it...lets see how this goes.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 5/13/2007 at 15:28 (GMT -5) by Naiyor]
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, May 13, 2007 at 18:48 (GMT -5)

If you look on the Hall of Fame, search 'Nathaniel' , and there you'll find the reincarnation of me on adom.(the history of the char, everything is like me, except for alignment.)

I'll miss King Moloch: whenever I did a temple or crowded tension room or vault I played the song 'Bodies'....

I'm still thinking of what to do for my next one....
Some guy
Registered user
I'm baaaack.

Last page view:

5596 days, 4 hours, 37 minutes and 17 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, May 14, 2007 at 01:13 (GMT -5)

I tend to watch a lot of old TV shows on my computer, and I've been on a real Batman binge lately. So, who could be better to roleplay as?

I figure he should be a human monk. Human is the obvious choice, and monk suits best as Batman is known to specialize in unarmed combat. While a beastfighter is another option, their abilities center around combat against animals, and monks' abilities work against humanoids, which is much more sensible. Plus, the monks' weight and equipment restrictions are suitable for Batman. He needs to be able to stay light and maneuverable or else he's dead meat.

Now, it's impossible to roleplay Batman accurately, because he has taken a firm stance against killing. Even if Batman were a bard, he couldn't allow his companions to take the lives of criminals. Rather, he wishes to incapacitate criminals and bring them to justice. So, instead of playing a true Batman, I will play a deluded Batman: he thinks he is not killing monsters, but only knocking them out. This means no eating any corpses whatsoever, but these unconscious villains can still be picked up and returned to the proper authorities, such as the sheriff and the druid.

Batman, of course, can't use magic. Also, the only missile weapons he will use are scurgari and boomerangs (batterangs) since you never see him throw or shoot anything else. Melee attacks will be almost solely unarmed, but I may occasionally use other weapons (of penetrating or slaying) for brief periods of time, as Batman may use a prop weapon until the scene ends. To set a hard limit on this restriction, I can't wield a weapon/shield anymore if the skill reaches level 5.

However, all other equipment and wands are fair to use. Batman is known for his limitless supply of gadgets, and I don't want to make this challenge too difficult. I also considered restricting prayer, but on second thought, I'll keep all use of prayer, crowning and holy water. This may seem to be somewhat out of flavor with the caped crusader, but I disagree: watch several Batman cartoons, and you'll see that he often escapes death only due to extraordinary luck - perhaps divine intervention?

Also, I won't gremlin scum. While Batman is certainly not above pickpocketing to meet his ends, I gremlin scum too much. So this restriction is just to break my personal habits.

I'll avoid any significant chaotic acts (such as attacking non-hostile monsters), and I won't let my alignment reach any flavor of chaotic even by sacrificing on altars. I plan to take advantage of my N= starting alignment to learn skills from the master thief, but all heroes have some darkness in their past. I might steal from the water dragon, if it serves the greater good.

I'd like to do all the good-guy quests, like save the dog, catch the Raider, save Khelevastar, etc., but those all depend on luck, so I won't make them part of the challenge. Khelevastar will probably die without gremlin scumming.

I won't use the kick-walls-down ability (as much as I'd like to). I just can't picture Batman flattening a wall that easily.

To summarize:
Character: Batman, the human monk
Restrictions:
-No eating corpses
-No magic spells whatsoever (wands are okay)
-No missile attacks aside from thrown scurgari/boomerangs
-Melee weapons and shields can only be used for very brief periods - if I reach a weapon skill of 5 I must stop using that class entirely
-No gremlin scumming (to break my personal habits). Other pickpocketing is allowable.
-No significant chaotic acts
-No kicking walls down
-Other restrictions would also make sense, but this is probably hard enough.
The following is a real Adom message:

The homunculus hits you. You suddenly fall asleep! Do you want to continue to read the spellbook of Calm Monster? [y/N]

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 5/14/2007 at 01:17 (GMT -5) by Some guy]
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, May 14, 2007 at 16:24 (GMT -5)

I took that post away since i tried the combo for a minute, and you're right, it's not possible.

Dunno what I'm gonna try though..........so frustrating, cant get the creative juices flowing
netlava
Registered user

Last page view:

6022 days, 14 hours, 47 minutes and 59 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 at 00:25 (GMT -5)

Link, the human paladin
- Use sword and shield, with sword in his left hand
- Also use bow and arrows, boomerang, hammers, slingshots, but cannot use anything not found in games
- Must smash all secret doors
- No significant chaotic acts
- No humanoid corpses
- Limited to certain types of magic
- Must acquire music skill
- Cannot wear anything that is does not match well with his appearance
- Finish the game normal ending (since Link cannot go chaotic)

So Link will try to collect the 5 chaos orbs and then confront his nemesis, saving the world in the process.

*Edit* Thanks for the input everyone 8)
Snwo aval ten

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 5/15/2007 at 21:54 (GMT -5) by netlava]
Portrait
exterminator
Registered user
Guerilla from the North

Last page view:

5797 days, 11 hours, 31 minutes and 50 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 at 03:12 (GMT -5)

This sounds very interesting. I'm definitely going to participate. Right now I don't have the time to read all posts on this thread properly, I just quickly scanned through them, but I surely will read them properly later on. It seems that some of you have created several characters, so we are allowed to start over after death, right? And is it required that the character we play exists in real life, video game or novel or something like that, or are we allowed to create our own fictional characters?

I will think about this and post my character later when I have more time.

Edit: Oh, and is there a date when the challenge expires and we have to be done before that date?
Se parhaiten nauraa joka toiselle kuoppaa kaivaa.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 5/15/2007 at 03:15 (GMT -5) by exterminator]
Silfir
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 at 04:40 (GMT -5)

This is no official "challenge", as that would require equal conditions for all participants. It's more or less people setting restrictions for themselves ;)

In Ocarina of Time, Link wore the Goron tunic, which is of red color, and protected him against heat. So I would allow red dragon scale mail. Also, blue dragon scale mail for the Zora tunic. Link does not wear plate mail of any sort, however, and definitely not mummy wrappings. Leather armor is possible - it could be what he wears under his green tunic.
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 at 06:54 (GMT -5)

Also, Link should be allowed the Teleportation spell. In Ocarina of Time, beside Jabu-Jabu(big fish) there was a fairie shrine, where you could get Faro's Wind, something like that, that allowed you to place a marker and teleport back to it when you wanted to.
Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

3592 days, 8 hours, 27 minutes and 57 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 at 09:03 (GMT -5)

I've tried Lady Aribeth, from NWN.

Female High Elf.
Must use swords or scimitars only (artifacts are exceptions).
Offensive magic is allowed, especially Magic Missile.
Must acquire healing spells.
No ranged weapons.
No Moloch armor.
No smithing.
Must get Herbalism.
Must not pick pockets.
Must stay at L and get to L+ ASAP.
Must not eat humanoid or undead corpses, so this means no Str and To boosting by eating corpses.
Must kill at least 1k dragons. This probably means spending a lot of time in the Blue Dragon Caves.
Must kill Kranach, get the Puppy corpse or even better, the Puppy, must save Khelly.

That's all I can think of right now. I've already played two Ladies Aribeth, things went surprisingly well.
For the Horde!
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5134 days, 11 hours, 59 minutes and 53 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 at 07:11 (GMT -5)

I've thought up a character to "roleplay". This character is none other than my most-used MUD-character. I played Durismud for along while, pretty cool pkill mud, teamwork and high-levelzones and all that stuff. My first successful character there was "Molach" - Gnomish Sorcerer.
So my set of restrictions:
Race: Gnome Class: Wizard
*No eating corpses (corpses were inedible in the mud)
*No prayers (there were "gods" or admins, but they never granted any favors, just fixed bugs and designed monsters/areas)
*Only allowed to use spells that appeared in the MUD. Which are: Bless, Burning Hands, All cure/healing spells, Darkness, Destroy undead, Earthquake, Fireball, Identify, Invisibility, Know alignment, Light, Lightning bolt, Magic missile, Remove curse, Slow monster, Teleportation, Web. I might still accidently read a wrong book, but never cast the spell (see next point why)
*No picking up scrolls (they were useless/nonexistant in MUD). Guess no pyramid for Molach, which is fine, as there was no pyramid zone in this mud. I think (Big world). Potions and Wands were somewhat more important in the mud and will be allowed. So that will give me PoCC and Unicorn quest to combat corruptions with. Will be interesting.
*Artifacts can only be worn/wielded for a certain time, then they must be dropped. The mud (thankfully) had one-of-a-kind artifacts, but unless you engaged in player vs. player combat, they would after a while fly back to their home areas (highlevel zones which 20 people had to work together to clear). Since ADOM has no pvp, I guess my artifacts will disappear over time when worn. So I guess I wont be able to simply chuck the fire orb in toolslot for the remainder either...

I think this will generate enough challenge for the usually-easy wizard class.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 5/16/2007 at 07:16 (GMT -5) by Molach]
Go to page 1 2

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: