Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / A monster killed himself

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Dark Knight
Registered user

Last page view:

6035 days, 19 hours, 58 minutes and 3 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 at 10:45 (GMT -5)

Few minutes ago I read this message from the game:
you hit the troll and severely wond him. the troll decides to fight to the death in a blid rage! The troll attacks the troll. The troll is killed. The troll suddenly looks more powerful.

Most important: there was only one troll around!

Does someone know what happened here?
In darkness there is a light,
but you can't see it.
Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

3598 days, 23 hours, 14 minutes and 55 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 at 11:39 (GMT -5)

It's a bug in the game, you attacked the troll, he panicked and killed himself. No xp for you, I'm afraid :) Happened to me, too, two minutes ago.
For the Horde!
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3897 days, 19 hours, 8 minutes and 28 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 at 11:45 (GMT -5)

it has something to do with the monster trying to attack the closest monster, and sometimes it think that itself is that monster and decides to attack itself. You don't get credit for the kill (annoying with some important monsters).

I wonder if this could be exploited when dealing with cats?
"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4238 days, 20 hours, 52 minutes and 28 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 at 12:34 (GMT -5)

It can be exploited when dealing with cats, by kicking or hitting with weak attacks until they run away or berserk themselves or others, but at extreme risk. A berserking cave lion or tiger is dangerous for low level adventurers. Plus there's a good chance you'll kill the monster instead of simply severely wounding it (especially for wild cats which only have 1 hp in the early game). It's the second to last resort really (the last resort being to simply kill it and give up on the kitty ring).
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

4149 days, 2 hours, 9 minutes and 19 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 at 15:07 (GMT -5)

i always thought last resort was abusing low hit point speed up on coward.
A root is a flower that disdains fame.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
Portrait
Tianjin
Registered user
for monsters - Death incarnate

Last page view:

5599 days, 5 hours, 54 minutes and 6 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 at 00:21 (GMT -5)

Monsters attacking themselves happens much more often if you attack while invisible -

It seems that they should see you,(you did hit them) but somehow the game doesn't recognize it.
Try the TiLiCat! It's experience!

Tiger, stuffed with deboned Lion, stuffed with deboned Wildcat, and slow roasted with a mix of herbs. (served raw for Trolls)
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4067 days, 21 hours, 34 minutes and 38 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 at 12:32 (GMT -5)

Soirana: That's second last resort. Obviously, if you can't run away anymore, you have to kill the cat ;)
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

4149 days, 2 hours, 9 minutes and 19 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 at 13:13 (GMT -5)

somehow than i can't run i tend to find my chars dead...
i meant early game+low hp.
A root is a flower that disdains fame.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

4598 days, 10 hours, 57 minutes and 42 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 at 20:28 (GMT -5)

Sometimes if you remain passive towards an attacker for long enough (ie, not fighting back at all) they will turn neutral at random intervals, and then randomly turn hostile again at some point. Usually this gives you some time to (:s)witch positions and get out of the corner you backed yourself into.

Characters with the Music or Ventriloquism skills should always be able to avoid cats. Druids have it easy. A wand of digging, teleportation, even pick axe digging your way away from them. A wand of trap creation to get a teleport trap spawned, throwing potions of exchange (they have to be blessed IIRC) or any raw chaos potion. That's the cat-kit.
"As for me, I feel priveleged to be among the only species able to make scientific inquiries." -unknown

"Be sure to keep your distance if you don't have resistance." -DG
Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

3598 days, 23 hours, 14 minutes and 55 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 at 02:09 (GMT -5)

Mewto thinks avoiding cats too much hassle. Mewto kills every cat in game with Axe (body spray). Cat Lord worthy opponent to Mewto, it gives lots of experience.
For the Horde!

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: