Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / My climbing set was destroyed

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Dark Knight
Registered user

Last page view:

6034 days, 11 hours, 11 minutes and 28 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 at 12:12 (GMT -5)

My climbing set was destroyed due to an acid trap in the minotaur maze!
Now I can't go back to the caver of chaos.

Is there a way to go back?

Thanks for help!
In darkness there is a light,
but you can't see it.
Portrait
zv
Registered user

Last page view:

5658 days, 12 hours, 21 minutes and 14 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 at 12:20 (GMT -5)

If you have 50k gold, climbing at 100, Wi over 20 than you can go to the rift, jump down and buy a set from a ratling down there. Otherwise, you must count on getting one from a random drop. I'd visit cavern levels in TotHK for this.
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4066 days, 12 hours, 48 minutes and 3 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 at 12:44 (GMT -5)

I'm not sure whether you can enter the Rift without a climbing set in 1.1.1... The guidebook gave me the impression that that was possible only in earlier versions.

You've got two dungeons in which to hunt for items, right? Good luck.

No, I don't have better advice. :)
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Dark Knight
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 at 13:44 (GMT -5)

Well
I don't have two dungeons anymore.

I reached level 29 and the minotaur maze is no longer accesible. Plus who would hunt in the minotaur maze after killing the emperor (thus having a very few food rations after the quest)?

Can be the wilderness a good place for such a hunt? I have the seven league boots and 100 in survival skill.

The tomb don't look a very good place for that hunt because of the corruption

Oh well, it looks like I found a new quest in the game: find a climbing set before dieing for old age.
but you can't see it.
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3896 days, 10 hours, 21 minutes and 53 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 at 13:59 (GMT -5)

I think you should go for the tomb, since it's not that corrupting, and walking around in the winderness looking for monsters takes a lot of time.

Also, have you visited the water dragons lair yet. If you haven't you can look for the entrance in the little area of water found near the tomb, as the lair can be found anywhere on the wilderness map, even in that little spot of water.
"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
Dark Knight
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 at 14:10 (GMT -5)

No i didn't find the water lair yet...
but I wanted to have a swimming skill of 100 before going there....
plus I don't have any water breathing item with me.

Anyway if I found a water breathing item would I risk life by going in the lair without the swimming skill at 100?

oh well...
about the corruption...
I didn't say that 90 days are alredy passed.

I should stop going from one side of the drakalor chain to the other side so often.
That's the disadvantage of having a single storage base. I visit it after every quest.
but you can't see it.
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

4147 days, 17 hours, 22 minutes and 44 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 at 14:35 (GMT -5)

if you have means of water breathing or blessed ring of fish, you won't need swiming at all.

i just tested, you can go down rift without climbing set in ADOM 1.1.1. so that is just a question of gold. dragon gold possibly.

iirc, bottom rift level always has some means of water breathin.
A root is a flower that disdains fame.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

3597 days, 14 hours, 28 minutes and 20 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 at 14:36 (GMT -5)

If you're a spellcaster, SoA my friend :D Try the tomb, I almost always find a climbing set in there. Last time I was there, I found two.
For the Horde!
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4237 days, 12 hours, 5 minutes and 53 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 at 01:40 (GMT -5)

If you feel safe about going down the Rift and have the money, then by all means do so. Make sure the ratling doesn't get killed before you can buy the set though. Alternatively the cavern levels of the high kings tomb are great places to hunt down items without being too corrupting. If you don't find a set then you'll at least come across a RoDS at some point.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Dark Knight
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 at 03:41 (GMT -5)

Thank you folk!

I resolved the problem:

There was a pool in the ToHK and what did I receive from hit?

I lost my lucky intrinsic and received the doom intrinsic.

Oh well... I was happy. I could find monster very easily in the wilderness, so I found 50k pretty soon. A lot of black dragons were killed.

So I jumped in the rift, I lost a ring of ice and I brought the climbing set for 50420 (all my money).

I visited the library too, I found another climbing set and I received the weird tome.

At last I managed to get back home, in my store room. I sacrificed some gold, then I received my luck back and my doom intrinsic was removed.

Howewer the ill fate was against me,
while I was managing the item I had, the game crushed. It made a last save and it didn't started anymore!

Is there a way to recover my char (and my scorelist). I didn't delete any files.
I don't have a copy of an old save file.
but you can't see it.
Dark Knight
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 at 04:01 (GMT -5)

Oh well..
I was reading the bug post in the ADOM section of the forum... it looks like there is no way to restore my char.

Shall I post (in the forum) a death message, just to remember him?
but you can't see it.
Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 at 04:59 (GMT -5)

That's sad :( You can post your char in the HoF in the Untimely Deaths section... or here.
For the Horde!
Dark Knight
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 at 08:47 (GMT -5)

I don't have a flg file since I didn't die, so...
this is his story:

Hans the male human merchant was annihilated by a program bug in the first level of the village dungeon.

He reached level 30 and survived for 110 days.

He was aiming to the ultimate chaos god victory,
so his first kill was a mugger. The kill was possible thanks to his merchant skill: he could buy a wand from Barnabas at a resonable price.

Barnabas had the scorched spear in stock, Iìhe didn't know it was an artifact until his blessed scrolls of increase melee accurancy turned to dust.

Anyway, He couldn't afford the spear yet.

He trained in the ID, then he did the puppy quest (of course he was found dead), then he tried his luck and got three RoDS thanks to a potion of exchange. So he wished for seven league boot, crown of lightining and concentration skill.

Then he had to wonder in the ID looking for a meaning of passing through a river.
There was a river in the first level of the village dungeon and in the first level of the CoC.

At level 16 he went in the piramid, in the upper level an acid vortex left him with only 5 HP.
He saved himself thanks to some potions of healing.
The mummy lord was killed with a single shot from a wand of fire.
So he got the two artifacts.

He become the leader of the thief guild and brought the scorched spear, but he never used it because he used a spear of mayhem which he thought it was better (oh well after discovering he couldn't use the scroll of increase melee damage and accurancy on the artifact).

He killed a blink dog and found a spellbook of teleporation, then he could go to kill the black druid and got the black toc.

Then he went in the Coc. He receive Rolf companion, He did 5 quest for the dwarf elder.
He had to kill a chaos dwarven knight.
Then he reached the level with Khelavaster (not passing through the forest); during the travel he found whirlwind in a lesser voult.
The he saved khelavaster and went back.
He killed all the ogres, became the champion of the arena, exchanged the blade for some training, he killed Nonnak and the resurrected dwarf, and he got the sword of Nonnak and the elemental gauntlet.

Then he went in the gramlins cave to get the phial.

He went in the minotaur maze, defeated the emperor..and you know the rest of the story.
but you can't see it.
Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 at 09:03 (GMT -5)

3 RoDS :( On what level of the PC or ID did you try your luck?
For the Horde!
Dark Knight
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 at 10:22 (GMT -5)

Why the sad face?

I don't remember my level, but I was on level 8 of the ID, I tried three-four times in a row with blessed potions of exchange.

Anyway I learned few lessons from the adventure:

1) When you are going to venture in the rift, or minotaur maze or the tomb, you should leave your climbing set somewhere (the lost city seems a good place).

2) Never try to pick up an uncursed potion of longevity with the poisonous hands corruption and withouth thick gauntlets (that was the last thing I tried before the crash)

3) The ghost can't pass through water (my pet ghost couldn't follow me!)

I had another thing to say, but I forgot.
but you can't see it.
Dark Knight
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 at 10:26 (GMT -5)

I have an err file...
I have all temporary files from the games!

should I send them to Thomas?

Nethack may be harder, but at least it has a recovery mechanism.

but you can't see it.
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 at 11:05 (GMT -5)

You're best off having two climbing sets or more anyway. There is one in the gremlin cave and one in the pyramid. Add to that the one in Dwarftown (IF you manage to get it) and possibly randomly generated ones, and you're pretty safe. Have an uncursed AND a blessed one, if possible.

Also, Ghosts should be able to pass ice bridges.

ADOM will most likely not be updated anymore, which means there won't be bug fixes. But who knows? Send that stuff anyway.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

4147 days, 17 hours, 22 minutes and 44 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 at 11:25 (GMT -5)

i think somewhere in manual or FAQ Thomas cleearly states he doesn't wanna any binaries unless you are asked to.
A root is a flower that disdains fame.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 at 14:52 (GMT -5)

Of course! Don't forget to heed the process described in the FAQ. My bad.
Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

4597 days, 2 hours, 11 minutes and 7 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 at 14:27 (GMT -5)

How are you level 30 after doing those things? I've usually done everything you listed (aside from Rift and Minotaur maze) and only reached about level 19. And thats not using dumb trolls or orcs either. Do humans get some huge xp bonus or something? I know the FAQ or in game guidebook says humans learn very quickly, still... a lot of time in the ID levelling up?
"As for me, I feel priveleged to be among the only species able to make scientific inquiries." -unknown

"Be sure to keep your distance if you don't have resistance." -DG
Dark Knight
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 at 13:48 (GMT -5)

I took it very easy... in the ID

I was looking for something that could let me cross a river without leaving half my equipment back and without risking to drawn.

but you can't see it.
Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

4597 days, 2 hours, 11 minutes and 7 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 at 14:52 (GMT -5)

Yeah, I've had some good luck not getting huge 5-6 square rivers blocking my characters off. Or if there are, I've got teleportitis and teleport control, or freezing capabilities.

The things that take me longest to find are Rings of Ice and Amulets of Life Saving. I spend numerous levels in the TotHK caves or elsewhere searching.
"As for me, I feel priveleged to be among the only species able to make scientific inquiries." -unknown

"Be sure to keep your distance if you don't have resistance." -DG

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: