Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Roguelike / Making a Sci-Fi roguelike

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 2 pages long.
Go to page 1 2
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5662 days, 1 hour, 29 minutes and 34 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 at 05:43 (GMT -5)

Looks like good work on the game so far! I'm really excited about the setting, post-apocalyptic games are really few and far between. I loved fallout. You seem to have lots of nice ideas, like modifying weapons with gadjets and such, very good :)

I think I don't have many ideas for you though, sorry about that.

Have you thouhgt about mechanical limbs as replacements for (or even in addition to :) the natural ones? Like if you happen to badly injure an arm, it could be replaced with a mechanical one, there could be a few different versions, possibly offered at different locations. Also there might be a slightly mad doctor someplace who will be happy to cut off your arms and legs for you, even if they are healthy.

BTW, if you're getting bored with Civ3 try downloading some mods for it. :P http://www.civfanatics.com is a good place to start looking.

Oh, I'm sorry, I hope that won't distract you any more. :D
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Portrait
Hendar23
Registered user

Last page view:

5654 days, 20 hours, 38 minutes and 49 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 at 10:54 (GMT -5)

OMG are you crazy? No more Civ...please....no more Civ...

[Hendar23 curls up in the corner and starts rocking back and forth]
"Men are born for games. Nothing else. Every child knows that play is nobler than work" - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
Portrait
Hendar23
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 at 13:55 (GMT -5)

Progress -
~ Replaced left and right hands slots with primary and secondary weapon slots.
~ Melee attacks now take into account characters skills in that area. (including monsters skills!)
~ Player can now view his skills using the inventory screen.
~ Armour is now fully implemented.
~ Lots of tweaking.

Spent my afternoon chasing bandits around with a force field harness and an industrial chainsaw. Life is good.

In answer to your suggestions gravel. Something like rail guns I like the idea for sure. As a big fan of the X-COM games, I love destroying scenery. Blowing walls away with satchel charges and rocket launchers for sure would be cool. Rail guns that punch holes in walls would be great when used in conjunction with motion trackers for targeting. You know something is moving around behind that wall...ZAP. Having built in xray devices as in Eraser and Perfect Dark would be too easy, but hey, there is always weapon modding....

I'm not sure how to make a base camp really useful, other than as a safe place to store items. But it's a nice idea...
Same with a sanctuary. I'm thinking any non hostile town or outpost would be a safe place to rest as in ADOM and such.

Playing as a different sex I do want in, with different opportunities to both sexes as well. It won't just be a cosmetic option.

And J., stuff like mechanical limbs I love. I kinda touched on it in a post above, but I want all sorts of special abilities and bonuses to be available throughout the game to make each character unique and artificial limbs would be included. (As a kid, I often thought losing a hand would be a small price to pay to get a cool robotic claw that could CRUSH ROCKS!) Extreme stuff like having a set of mechanical tentacles to crush your enemies would come with a big charisma cut though! "Mommy! The robot man is scaring me!" More subtle stuff would include things like medical nanobot injections. Nanobots would constantly purge your body of toxins and repair DNA and tissue damage, making you almost invulnerable to radiation and poison, and give you an incredible HP recovery rate! Sweet. :)

"Men are born for games. Nothing else. Every child knows that play is nobler than work" - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5662 days, 1 hour, 29 minutes and 34 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 at 08:32 (GMT -5)

Sounds good, I might just stop playing adom when this eventually starts to get playable :P
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
gravel
Registered user
if i'm not ADOMing i'm working

Last page view:

5866 days, 19 hours, 43 minutes and 10 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 at 00:42 (GMT -5)

How about having some banks to store stuff in for a fee each time you access your goods?

and some shops that are owned by trades people, ie a blacksmith who can make swords if you gather certain materials for him or a tailor who can make you a kevlar vest etc some items may require you to seek out 2 or more shop owners to complete the item you want made or you buy it at an inflated price if you dont want to go looking for components
The stone giant runs away in fear. Who ever heard of a stone being scared of gravel?
Portrait
Hendar23
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 at 19:33 (GMT -5)

A little progress -
~ Monsters now pick the best equipment they are holding and equip it, not just weapons now, but armour and gadgets too!

A secure area to leave items is a must I think. I can understand the argument that having to carry everything with you forces the player to make tough decisions, making the carry limit another resource to be managed. But personally I love squirreling away loads of items that may come in useful later. (you should see my hangers in EVE Online....)
I don't want 'magic' banks that let you access all your items in every branch. Partly because this isn't logical to me, and partly because that will add to the thrill of getting a vehicle that you can stuff full of junk to take around with you. I enjoyed Fallout 2 for this, pulling up at a location and having a rummage about in the boot of your car, taking only the items and ammo you where going to need for that expedition.
Having crafters that make stuff for you, for sure. This fits in with the setting of the world, post-apocalyptic, no-one mass producing anything anymore. All 'new' items and weapons will be made by individuals with the know how to modify or reverse engineer existing ones. Re-discovering the old super high-tech science is a major theme.

Progress has slowed recently because I'm starting college next week. As a mature student, with a kid and living quite far away from my college, I don't think I'm gonna have much time of the next few months either. But I won't let my game die. Thanks for showing an interest guys, you help keep me motivated!

gravel
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 at 20:26 (GMT -5)

Always glad to help and always looking forward to updates.

i'm a big horder too which always slows me down in ADOM but like you say you never know when an item could come in useful
The stone giant runs away in fear. Who ever heard of a stone being scared of gravel?
Portrait
Hendar23
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 at 13:39 (GMT -5)

I'm planning on making basic support for custom tilesets. Shouldn't be too hard. I want to try a more basic blck and white look to see what feels more rougelikeish, and to keep the project alive and fresh in my mind. I've been very busy doing my college course, hence no updates.(It ain't some easy mickey mouse course!)

Also, my ancient (2001!) PC died a few days before I was due to start college, so I bite the bullet and bought a new one. Of course I then HAD to go back thorugh my entire games collection and try all the games that ran like ass on my old PC and go "OOOOOH! AAAAHH!" Half-Life 2 + Episode 1 has therefore eaten up my free time. I should get that out of my system soon but here comes Episode 2 and Portal and TF2 and.....
gravel
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 at 21:19 (GMT -5)

Have you considered adding any sound into this game?

and also some quests like running a gauntlet to prove your worthyness to a gang and then getting a rank within their guild to gain skills, equipment ?

BrasilianWeirdVideos
Registered user
pron knight

Last page view:

5165 days, 4 hours, 7 minutes and 18 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 at 12:10 (GMT -5)

Good work Hendar. Go on!
Portrait
Hendar23
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 at 11:47 (GMT -5)

Just a note to let y'all know I'm not dead, and neither is my game. I've just been massively distracted with stuff lately!
gravel
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 at 19:16 (GMT -5)

good to hear.
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4237 days, 6 hours, 35 minutes and 14 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 at 20:17 (GMT -5)

Wow, just noticed this thread. The game idea looks fantastic. Like many others I'm a huge Fallout fan, and I really enjoy post-apocalyptic settings in movies and games. I especially like the idea you suggested of your character having to figure out the reasons behind the apocalypse, etc. Will be great to see an alpha when you find the time (I understand about not having much - I'm a mature student myself).

A lot of the ideas on here sound very neat. You said you want melee weapons to be useful, which gave me the thought that maybe loud weapons (ie. unsilenced guns) would attract nearby enemies, making things harder for you. So if you wanted to raid a stronghold you'd be best sneaking up to the guy on guard outside and giving him a fatal stab so as not to have the whole building on alert. Silencers could be equipped on certain pistols, but would make them less damaging and with lower range.

Radioactive creatures would be neat too. You'd have to keep your distance from them to not get severe radiation poisoning, and getting surrounded would spell death for anyone who doesn't have some way of resisting the radiation.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Portrait
Hendar23
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 at 13:32 (GMT -5)

Going back to look at my code after a while I'm having the usual problem in this situation...I'm seeing loads of little things I want to change, things I could have done better. My new PC has a big-ass wide screen monitor too, displaying at stupidxsilly resolution and the game looks horrible running full screen on it...hmmm...changes are needed.

I'm also plagued by ideas for two other new games. One a 'lite' rougelike (might be good for the practice!) and another strategy/management game...

Must not get too sidetracked! :)
Branflakes
Registered user
My dog is Lord of the Fleas...

Last page view:

5376 days, 17 hours and 42 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2008 at 16:17 (GMT -5)

Hey, this is cool, I just found this.
I would definetly play this.
Keep going!
gravel
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 at 21:23 (GMT -5)

Hey Hendar23

any more updates?

hows it progressing?
Keep us up to date with things as it sounds very interesting and i'd love to play some sort of release
Portrait
Hendar23
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 at 11:15 (GMT -5)

As you probably guessed, my little game has totally fallen on the back burner due to real life issues. I've been playing around with another roguelike game. It's a bit simpler technically so I may try and put a version of that out first to get more coding experience. Think of a roguelike in spaceships, Elite meets ADOM. Or something. The first game I made back in highschool was a space exploration game with turn based combat and I've had a sequel in mind for over a decade now. Unfortunately no copies remain of the original after my dad threw my old PC in the garbage before I could take the HDD out. I coulda killed him, but thats another story...

I gutted and re-wrote a lot of the code for my post-apoc game because when I went back to it after a break I noticed loads of things I could have done better. Luckily I can re-used a lot of code to get my ship game up and running.

So apologies to you guys who I got excited about my project. I know what it's like to follow something for months or years and have it vanish (I'm looking at YOU Entropy!) But rest assured I'll produce something. Sooner or later. The burning need to make a game cannot be quenched!
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 at 09:57 (GMT -5)

Elite meets ADOM? Ah, the bliss that could bring... Doesn't sound easy though :P It's good to do something to get more code experience before taking on a bigger challenge - there's a hell of a lot to be learned when making a full game. Best of luck!
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Portrait
Hendar23
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 10:53 (GMT -5)

Another year, another attempt at a game :P

An Elite Roguelike. Well, it will be more combat/mission orientated. More like Freelancer with permadeath? I dunno. I've had a good hunt about and kind find anything like what I'm trying to make.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 5/8/2008 at 10:58 (GMT -5) by Hendar23]
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 12:26 (GMT -5)

Uh, what's going on there? I really can't tell, heh. The idea sounds immensely cool though.
Portrait
Hendar23
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 12:59 (GMT -5)

Heres a bit a background I wrote to set a mood:

"The Major Races of the galaxy could only stand back in awe when the Hinnaran people took to the stars. In a galaxy were restraint and caution had emerged as the most successful traits for survival, the sheer mad energy, the aggression, the greed of the Hinnaran was quite unexpected. Like children at a funfair, they dashed about madly from one attraction to the next, eyes wide, never stopping for long. Always on the lookout for the next exciting thing to see, to build, to buy, to sell, to steal, to fight over. They exploded into the galactic community. They left their home world a polluted wreck. Old before it’s time, and utterly worn out.

They never looked back.

The other races didn’t know quite what to do. Some stayed out of their way. Some were simply stunned into inaction. Some resisted physically and were annihilated. Others were absorbed, their cultures too weak to resist the endless aggressive swirl of memes that surrounded the Hinnarans wherever they went. Some even welcomed them, the danger and excitement of Hinnaran life was intoxicating. It was embraced by those grown bored by the stilled pace of galactic society.

At its height, the Hinnaran Empire could field a million warships, one for every system under its domain. They brushed off outside threats and uprisings. They bickered amongst each other constantly. They dabbled in science considered taboo by the civilised Major Races. Hinnarans pushed against the last frontier, searching for the illusive technology that would allow them to bridge the unimaginable distance between galaxies. Considering themselves aloof and invulnerable, the mad circus of Hinnaran culture continued for over 10,000 years.

The Hinnaran Empire caught the attention of the Elder Races. Possibly the most notable thing to happen in the Universe in the last few hundred million years, the Elders watched the Hinnaran people with interest. Like a precocious child, who think themselves an adult but reveals their immaturity with every word and gesture, they provided a fleeting amusement and source of discussion to the Elders.

No empire last forever. Perhaps it was boredom that sparked their collapse? Always needing new frontiers, new challenges, and more resources, one galaxy was not enough for them. Civil war erupted, and the galaxy was consumed.

That was a thousand years ago. Now, the galaxy is chaotic place. Petty thugs and warlords fight over the ruins. A thousand isolated worlds have declared independence. Lost colonies turn their backs to the stars and slip into barbarism. Rogue AIs and ancient, mad machines lurk out in the cold void. Creatures considered bizarre -- even by Hinnaran standards -- multiply unchecked. The attention of the Elders has wandered elsewhere; their brief source of entertainment has passed.

Vast wealth now lies in wait for those brave enough to enter this maelstrom. The galaxy is filled with villains, and in dire need of heroes."

Game on!

I really don't like the name 'Hinnaran'. I just can't think of a good name, so it's a placeholder.
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 16:38 (GMT -5)

I thought the name fit well enough. Their culture sounds extremely human-like :) The story sounds interesting, and makes for a good start to get the player in.

So what does the gameplay actually involve? Like, uh, that screenshot... what is it? An asteroid field evidently, but where's the player and what do you do?
Portrait
Hendar23
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 17:45 (GMT -5)

The player ship is the black one far left and center. The screenshot is just of stuff I'm messing about with.

What do you do? Well imagine Elite: The Roguelike. Fly about space visiting stations and planets and such. On a 2D grid. But less focus on mining and trade and more on completing combat missions. Like any roguelike, you lay smack down on enemies for loot :D But instead of goblins and zombies you have space pirates, homicidal artificail lifeforms and pissed off planetary defence fleets.
The structure will be open like Morrowind, you can explore, encounter different factions and enemies and do missions for them as you choose (and when your powerful enough!). I imagine I will limit the player to the first system until they complete a quest to get a faster than light drive. Perhaps make further systems 'unlockable' by doing quests to get the coordinates.
I want each location to have personality. I don't want it were each place is randomly generated and feels the same. I wanted a backstory that allows the player to encounter all many of space based craziness and find weird and wonderful artifacts to pimp their ship up with.

It's progressing fast. I was able to use a lot of the existing code from my other game, and it's structurally more elegant and simple. When I go back to my post-apoc game it's gonna be much better.

I have some cool ideas for making 2d combat without walls interesting too...

Portrait
Hendar23
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 at 17:45 (GMT -5)

Long time, no ADOM forum. Hows tricks?

I added loot and stuff! So development continues at a glacial pace.

Portrait
Vale
Registered user
rAnDom mOjo Man

Last page view:

5452 days, 7 hours, 18 minutes and 50 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, May 11, 2009 at 12:56 (GMT -5)

hey about the car(post-apoc) you should make it a sorta a limiting objets keeping you on the colony you start in(probably rand)because your other option would be to crawl across the nigh endless desert
and you could also have it affect the character like the more junk in it the lower you chrasma ex:"Mommy, that man with the truck full of rotten mutant corpses should be my friend."
Go to page 1 2

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: