Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / ..a lot of questions :)

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

BrasilianWeirdVideos
Registered user
pron knight

Last page view:

5161 days, 16 hours, 28 minutes and 9 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 at 06:52 (GMT -5)

<1> strange item - the si replication speed is influenced by the number of sis you have in the backpack? or the number of blessed vs cursed sis? or something else?

<2> bookcasting - what is the difference between casting a spell "shift+z" or "bookcasting" it?

<3> doomed and very close - what does it happen when you are very close to your deity (so you are lucky and fate smile upon you) and you get cursed/doomed (for example killing a wild cat or a karmic lizard)?

<4> 0 stats - what does it happen if a char value goes below zero (for example eating too many greater claw bugs corpses!)

<5> metallurgy - am I wrong or it is completely useless? everyone can recognize metals by their weight.. what is metallurgy utility?

<6> archery and races - is it true that elfs with "archery" skill are more good with bows, gnomes with crossbows and hurtlings with rocks?

<7> learning skills - is there a way to learn some of those skills: Alertness, Alchemy, Archery, Athletics, Concentration, Dodge, Find weakness, Gemology, Survival?

<8> hurtlings and shoes - what are their penality when they use shoes?

<9> weapon skills keyboard - what is the keyboard combination to see all your weapon skills?

<10> coward - what does it happens if you use the "coward" tactic for long time? (example: px loss, stats loss, etc)

<11> special skills keyboard - how can you use special skills? (example: at level 6 of some pcs, there is the message "now you can deliver mighty blows!")

Thanks a lot!!

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 8/27/2007 at 07:01 (GMT -5) by BrasilianWeirdVideos]
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

4144 days, 12 minutes and 56 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 at 07:54 (GMT -5)

in general it is advicable to read Andy's guide.
some answers:
1. iirc, yes it is influecend by number of si's. that goes fastr and faster.
and i do believe blessed ones rplicate slower than uncursed.

2. bookcasting - doesn't cause you spell memmory to decreasee, doesn;t increase your spell power. costs signifacantly more mana and time to cast. and requires to have book in possesion

3. your piety status doesn't prevent from getting cursed/doomed.
you can pray to remove these while very close, but praying while doomed rarrely works at all and it costs lot of piety. instead you can sack 1gp on very close status, get rid of doomed/cursed with nearly no piety loss, iirc.

4. at least some stats doen't go below 1. i've tested a bit with minotaur mages. i've heard that if your toughness goes bellow 1 you die. i cannot confirm that.

6. there are discount for marks needed to increase weapon proficiency. 1/3 less for hurtlings with rocks, and gnomes with xbows. iirc, the only connection between elves and bows is possibility to be crowned with "Sun's messenger".

7.scrolls/potions of education may grant random skill, you may wish for them... other, iirc, falcon borns get survival on start.
p.s. you can write scrolls of education with magic writing sets. with drawback ofcourse.

8. -2Dex while wearing shoes. is it so hard to generate hurtling, find shoes and get them on?

9.Ctrl+w

10. except for not gaining skill marks i guess nothing.
anyway, enlight me that is px loss?

11.Ctrl+x.
p.s. mighty blows are Barbarian tricks.
A root is a flower that disdains fame.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 8/27/2007 at 07:55 (GMT -5) by Soirana]
BrasilianWeirdVideos
Registered user
pron knight

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 at 08:32 (GMT -5)

1. blessed ones replicate slower than uncursed.. strange! thank you

2. thank you.. does books "expires" after some bookcastings (like they do after some readings-for-learning)?

5. hey Soriana you forgot this one :)

7. what is the drawback for writing a scroll of education?

8. you are right, but I wanted to be sure that the only penality is that -2dex, and there are not unmeasurable things like "food consumption doubled in wilderness" :)

10. I meant xp loss.. sorry :) I mean: do you gain less experience points when killing enemy when "coward"?

Thank you thank you thank you Soriana!! :)
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5136 days, 50 minutes and 28 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 at 08:38 (GMT -5)

In addition to the correct answers above:

2. (Info from in-game manual)
Bookcasting takes quintuple (five times) as many power points, and 3000 energy (about 3 normal turns). You can reduce the power point cost by talents (3x and 1.5x, for Good and Great book caster, respectively)

Bookcasting has some good strategic uses:

• Utility spells for non-primary magic classes. Good spells worth carrying books around for are Strength of Atlas, Teleportation and such. Offensive spells are most often not worth it due to the extra TIME needed to cast them.
  • Mindcrafters and beastfighters and possibly barbarians have a heck of a time reading even the simplest books. However they can book-cast spells freely after having learnt the spell (from potions or wands of wonder)
  • Characters who find a spellbook of wish can have unlimited wishes once they have enough power points to book-cast it. Wizards can find a guaranteed book of wish and are used most oftenly. PP can be permanently increased by eating certain corpses or using wands when having the "mana battery" corruption

Primary magical classes like priest and wizard should NOT book-cast much, because they will find plenty books in the dungeons. They should read any books they find till they fade. (Mabye save certain rare books like wish/death ray/acid ball till lerning is very high)

Dooming can occur "suddenly" from a variety of reasons, but attacking karmic beings (like lizards) is not one of them. If you have sacced to a god to get "very close", then you will have +fate and +luck intrinsics. Attacking karmics will lead to, in order: Lose fate smiles, lose lucky, gain cursed, gain doomed. But then you could sac 1 gp and go back to +fate and +luck again. If you do it before piety drops, that is. (Piety fades over time as you probably know by now)

I think metallugry is useless, unless there is a hidden bonus to smithing or finding ores when using pickaxe on walls. But I do not suspect there is.

Alertness can't be wished for, but is still possible by potions or scrolls of Education.
Those skills you asked about are some very powerful skills, most of them worth a wish. Dodge, Find Weakness, Concentration would be my top contenders for a mid-to-late game wish. Alertness is tremendously useful, and as it can't be wished for you might consider races or classes that start with it. Athletics is good late-game for the speed boost if I need it, but best to have it while levelling up so stats increase faster. Archery is useful too, but I could get talents to compensate. Alchemy is a nice skill, but it can be hard to train late-game. And sometimes you get a hopeless recipe for PoGAs or PoEHs. Gemology - I wouldn't wish for it, but if I start with it I will usually dig out at least one dungeon levels for the gems. Crystals of knowledge to get learning way up over 30, gems to sell, gems of health or power or fire could possibly be used (I mostly sell them too).
Survival I would consider useless except for one challenge game (stay in wilderness till level 50). Get food elsewhere.

You order pets with ctrl-o. Useful for bards.(Necromancers can do this as well, or they can use ctrl-x -> c.)
BrasilianWeirdVideos
Registered user
pron knight

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 at 08:45 (GMT -5)

Thank you a lot Molach!!
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

4144 days, 12 minutes and 56 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 at 09:39 (GMT -5)

2. books do not expire after bookcasting. that is main point in bookcasting.

5. i do not forget this. i have not much to say on metalurgy.
i heard of someone using it early on ID some stuff like rings, couse certain rings are made from higher metals.
i never understood why to bother?
correction: i just remembered metalurgy can be basically used only on ID items. otherwise you get message aboout ID them first.
given a fact you noway can us wrong ignot while smithing, you can simply try guess what is dragon scalee armour made from. (hint: it is not dragon flesh, just one of higher metals).
such a useless skill...

7.drawback depends on your class, stats, status of items, version of Adom etc.
basically it is significant loss in Mana (not power points, just direct lowering of stat) + you use power points like casting. if you haven't got enough obviously you can't write it
p.s. my maxed out archer (LE 99, Wi-99, Ma-99, literacy-100 was able to create these without penalties) so probably it is not all about class...

10. standartically you gain same amount of xp for dealing with stuff. even if you "o"ffer peace.

that i'm not so sure about is regenarating stuff. if you beat regenerating monster to critical, let it to recover, repeat, and finally finish him off, would you gain extra experience? i do not know.
A root is a flower that disdains fame.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 8/27/2007 at 09:48 (GMT -5) by Soirana]
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user
Master of all things nOOby!!!

Last page view:

5758 days, 8 hours, 51 minutes and 23 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 at 16:44 (GMT -5)

please dont read guide : (

I still yet to this day regret reading it. I am gonna pay to have myself brainwashed when I get older so I can beat adom without knowing everything in advance...that would be a true accomplishment.
"You try to give Fang, the large dog the bone. Fang, the large dog says,"Do you know who I am, mortal?!?!"
My smartest dog ever:D

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: