Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / starting strategies

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Stas
Registered user
The Dark Lord Melkor

Last page view:

7623 days, 20 hours, 12 minutes and 42 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2002 at 02:52 (GMT -5)

What is your most comon starting strategy?

Mine is this:
go to SMC, till exp lvl 5.
Kill Kranach.
Complete elder's quest, if char doesn't have healing.
Go to HMV.
Go to Dwarftown, complete all dwarven quests, after that to Pyramid, old barb, and graveyard.
After that get RoHK.
And then to ToEF.

Yesterday I used my not usual strategy:
I started a human wiz. Not too special, Le 19, Fire & Frost Bolt as starting spells.
Went to outlaw vlg, and found spellbook of Magic Missile (2000 gp) and Invisiblity (900gp) in shop.
Killed Kranach, and bought spellbooks.
Went to Bug Place, and using Invisibility spell cleared out the surface and underground, and forgot to visit pyramid (damn). Greater claw bug dropped emerald dagger (hohoo!).
Now he is lvl 18, spd 172, Dx 99. Wait until I get potion of exchange!! Can you imagine wizard with Wi of 99?? My Ball-spells will be insta-killers!! heheeee... maybe this char is ultra-winner...
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger"
Lord of The Rings

"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will anger the cat lord"

J.
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2002 at 04:29 (GMT -5)

I usually do the following:

-Go to SMC
-Find stairs down and descent ASAP
-Descent through UD to HMV, exit from hidden staircase to WM
-Enter CoC, descent to DT
-Get GY quest and monster quest from elder, exit CoC back to WM.
-Do the pyramid and graveyard, possibly puppy quest and village elder/druid quest as well
-Go to high king's cave, get RoHK
-Do ToEF (if necessary equipment available)
-Do the rest

This way I usually either get killed quickly (in SMC mostly, if I can't find downstairs quickly enough) or make it to CoC. I usually find pretty nice stuff in UD and get enough exp to survive pretty well.

Though with my latest char (human wiz) I visited holeinthewall first to get Pickpocket from the master thief. Got mugger as the first kill (ouch) which makes getting courage a tad complex...

Is this a good strategy ?
Yes  No
Check results

adomer2
Registered user

Last page view:

8011 days, 34 minutes and 13 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2002 at 12:29 (GMT -5)

stas yggaz is almost a gaurantee with potions of exchange. beggars are good for potions of booze and it only costs a couple gold. i usually get a PoE 1/10 tries with yggaz. i always do that before bug temple.

i do ID to level 5, kill kranach and get healing if needed along with the PC and precrowning if possible.
after this i don't really have many plans. it's all pretty dependent on my charc/class. once i found a helm of teleport and a ring of invisibility with a troll barbarian so i went to bug temple at 20. with wizards i'll hunt red dragons in the mountains. i normally spend my midgame hunting specific items or figuring out a new plan. i've learned not to pick up the SI until late in the game. i never seem to make it past lvl 25 or so if i'm not save scumming.
adomer2
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, January 14, 2002 at 12:30 (GMT -5)

ok, here's a question about human characters. i always think about starting one but i always think about ghost lords first. is there anyway to stop them from aging you?
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3728 days, 8 hours, 51 minutes and 56 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2002 at 13:08 (GMT -5)

High DV/PV, to avoid getting hit in the first place, good missile skills/spells, so you don't have to get close enough, potions & pools to get rid of aging (alchemy helps). Humans don't actually have so much of a problem as trolls, though. You can get hit a couple of times without being aged to death.

J--getting Courage from muggers is do-able if you visit the outlaw village frequently and kill all non-unique monsters until there have been 21 muggers generated. One of my chars did this and got Courage at l20 (and subsequently got killed in the ToEF, stupid me).
Die Gedanken sind Frei
Portrait
Crimson King
Registered user

Last page view:

6293 days, 14 hours, 46 minutes and 15 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2002 at 14:55 (GMT -5)

I play almost always as human... coz they have food preservation, I just hate being hungry :)

Joka vitsaa säästää, saa kaatumataudin
stevehz01
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2002 at 15:34 (GMT -5)

i like theSMC first, get to lv4 then <im trying to win with a hurthling[L] wizard> find the raiders... do the puppy hunt, its easy if you have a good bolt spell. damn dog attacts everything in the vault lvl tho<GRRR>.
then off to the carpenter, and lawenthole....
gokill a hydra on my way to COC...here iswhere i differ...after 19 in the arena i do the pyramid
get the anhk and wrapping<the luck from the ahnk is great> and AP doesnt much matter. go hit the TOP only ofthe bug temple, to get my speed up to 197 or so<last game>theni head right to darkforge
and the SG's are no prob w/the MR, and as a hurthling you gain 7or 8 levals there....then walk over and do the portal quest which should be easy by now....grab the fire orb on the way back, good to go.btw i have <of course>tried to do the bug temple bottom this early, but the killer bugs can do upwards of 200pts PER attack
if you inv and careful, no worries.
just a Q if your first dQuest is to kill a cave tiger<CAT> the pyramid always has one
how the heck to get the ROMC?
ive read Andy Willams GUIDE, but creatin trap IS held against you in the pyramid...not the arena, but in the rid it doesnt work...bug? damn cats
i always play in that order the MM and grmlins,
if i have the food and care, but i NEVER do the MM
you shoud find yourself at the alters, good hunting!!!!!!
steveveh01
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2002 at 15:48 (GMT -5)

ooooops. i was lv 16 THEN did the rid
i had 934 left was a hurthing wiz its CRUCIAL you do the pyramid as late as possible the mummy god WILL kick your ass
dont kill the theif till you get trp detection
<learned the hard way
adomer2
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2002 at 08:35 (GMT -5)

dude i can't make sense out of anyting you're saying. lol
Portrait
Tha Messiah
Registered user
Angel of Death

Last page view:

7749 days, 22 hours, 10 minutes and 5 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2002 at 08:42 (GMT -5)

same here

THE MESSIAH,I'm here now,Worship me.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: