Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Pwned by ACW :(

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
adomist
Registered user
Noob

Last page view:

929 days, 5 hours and 46 minutes ago.
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 at 04:00 (GMT -5)

I have lost two characters to this vile creature, both were level 20-21 gray elven wizards. :/

Is there any way to resist his energy attack? Is he vulnerable to anything?

I thought the solution would be shock immunity but he proved me wrong some minutes ago. :D

I guess i'll stick to melee chars as they seem to be easier. :D
You steal a broken dagger! The orc misses you.
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4040 days, 7 hours, 4 minutes and 38 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 at 06:31 (GMT -5)

The shock attack cannot be resisted, sadly. I think shock immunity takes away some of the damage, but it still hurts like crap.

You need decent Toughness (morgia!) if you want to survive one or two of these, and potions of extra healing to let you survive the whole fight.

The Ancient Chaos Wyrm, like any fire creature, is highly vulnerable to ice spells. The catch is that while he can't shoot you with his shock missiles when there are monsters between you and him, these monsters will fall even earlier before your Frost Bolt that him, letting him take clear shots at you. I heard once that if you use Acid Bolts, the monsters will resist them while the ACW takes normal damage, and eventually kill him before he can even attack you.

What you should definitely try is stunning the ACW. Get a clear line, but have a couple of monsters between you and him (The hallway is perfect). Shoot off stun rays until the ACW is stunned (could take some tries). THEN start Frost Bolting. Hopefully the stunning will take long enough to recover from that you can kill the ACW before it gets off even one shock attack.

Wands of paralyzation work just as well for that strategy.

Wizards normally have little trouble wasting monsters in the ToEF thanks to their high efficiency frost spells.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 9/5/2007 at 06:32 (GMT -5) by Silfir]
Portrait
adomist
Registered user
Noob

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 at 06:59 (GMT -5)

Hmm i guess i'll have to try to keep some monsters between us then. I had ice ball + frost bolt and 26 toughness but his laser attack was too deadly. Thanks for help.
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5636 days, 1 hour, 16 minutes and 48 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 at 13:29 (GMT -5)

Try dark elves or drakelings, alertness is really useful for dodging those attacks.
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Portrait
adomist
Registered user
Noob

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 at 13:32 (GMT -5)

I dislike those races a bit. Well, dark elves are O.K. Maybe alertness is the reason my gnomish monk did ACW with ease. :o
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5113 days, 12 hours, 16 minutes and 51 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 at 10:23 (GMT -5)

The wyrm is not particularly vulnerable to ice, IfIRememberCorrectly. It is a chaos wyrm, not a fire wyrm.

If you have the HPs to survive a blast, you still need instant, reliable healing. Because he might do it again. And if you have low speed, it could even be possible to receive two energy-rays in a round. Which would be painful, indeed.

Your wizard might be better off going close-combat with him. Because then he will melee, which hurts and corrupts, but not quite as much as the ray. Most often. Dependant on your armor of course. By close combat, I only mean to be near him. If you have wyrmlance and skill mabye you can hit on him, else casting a ballspell while in coward mode could work very well. Corruption from the wyrm's attacks should be your least concern - getting one corruption by taking down one of the most feared opponents in the game is a small price.

Your monk fared better against the ACW because of alertness, sure, but also because he (presumably) was standing next to it.

A few more levels would have helped your level 21 wizard. You could have taken him to the library, you know. That place is rather easy for wizzies, usually some monsters to kill for pretty decent xp, and of course the books.

Btw, if you ever do want to try a drakeling wizard, ignore all ToF advice above. You will not need it (just bring a bunch of blessed spenseweed...). And not because of having alertness either.

Oh yeah, Silfir's advice about stunning and paralyzation is of course very clever and (boring). My tips are for a brute-force approach

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 9/6/2007 at 10:24 (GMT -5) by Molach]
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4040 days, 7 hours, 4 minutes and 38 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 at 11:34 (GMT -5)

Fuck being boring, that one fight is the biggest pain in the ass in the entire game! :) If I need to stun/paralyze the ACW to win, I stun/paralyze it or poison it or sicken it or whatever. (I think I only did that once in seven times anyway.)

Oh, and Frost Bolts *are* very effective - used them myself often enough (also, the guidebook says that it's so). It's the only Chaos Wyrm in the game, and if not a fire wyrm, still fire-themed. The only things not especially vulnerable to ice in the temple are the chaos servants.

Thus, the ball spell of choice for "meleeing" the ACW is Ice Ball ;) Only problem is that you have to get *near* the ACW for this to work. And while you approach it, it has plenty of opportunities to shoot off shock attacks. (Lost a dwarven paladin because of this once.) But if you try and get into melee range while there are other monsters there to obstruct the ACW's shock attacks, you'll get hit by lots of fire elementals, grues and demons - and their criticals can HURT.

A nice touch would be to have a cursed figurine of a creature immune to ice handy (rare as hell, I know). Get the ACW in a hallway, a couple spaces of distance between it and you. Summon your monster, it will be hostile. As long as you didn't use a frost giant jarl or an ancient white dragon or other ridiculously dangerous stuff, the ACW will have to move into melee itself. Frost Bolt Shooting Time.

In case you do not have such a figurine, I think the Summon Monsters spell would work very nicely in creating a couple of buffer monsters. Just use such a spell every time you notice the ACW has a clear line of shot.

Shooting dragon slaying ammo in berserk mode is also a nice way of dealing damage, by the way, though it requires a clear line of shot - which, of course, works both ways. I've had an archer kill the ACW with only one missile once, though.

The speed of the wyrm is 98, so if you're lower than that, you risk being slaughtered.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 at 15:31 (GMT -5)

Yeah, that "boring" was humorously meant. And somewhat inspired by your Sig. Hehe. I kill me.

No, really, the ACW fight is the first great big showdown with a big baddie, and often the only real showdown. Use all tricks in the book. England Prevails.

To approach the WORM without being blasted, use a corner of some sort. The ANTI-summoning corridor of Angband works too. I would get his attention, and then retreat back out of the inner sanctum of the temple, to where I dug or zapped in. Don't dig a straight line in and you can approach him.

And mabye I am mistaken about the cold thing. Ice balls work, thats for sure. But if you don't have, acid ball or lightning ball will also take him out. Eventually. Just not fire ball...
Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

4570 days, 20 hours, 27 minutes and 42 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 at 19:06 (GMT -5)

I second the Dragon Slaying Ammo approach. I think all characters should train up bows and crossbows to take advantage of slaying ammo when spells or melee won't do it quick enough. If you get your skill in bows or crossbows to 7 or higher and go into berserker stance, and don't forget to bless the pack of arrows, you can take down ACW in a few shots. Even without DSA, regular ammo with a decent missile weapon can soften him up from a distance, it's DV/PV isn't insurmountable.
"As for me, I feel priveleged to be among the only species able to make scientific inquiries." -unknown

"Be sure to keep your distance if you don't have resistance." -DG
Portrait
adomist
Registered user
Noob

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 at 23:17 (GMT -5)

I usually forget to train my climbing for entering the rift. And i never understand the training yergius gives. What's the difference between teorithecal and practical in adom?

I'll try the dragon slaying ammo route with my gnomish merchant. He's level 20 or something like that.
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 at 08:45 (GMT -5)

About Yergius training, theoretical training increases your GAIN-Dice, and that effect is very easy to verify, it happens immediately.

For example:
Climbing - 53 - 3d3
That means you have a 53 skill, and GAINdice is 3d3.
After Theoretical training you get message "You increase your climbing modifier from 3d3 to 3d4"

On your next levelup, you gain a number of skill trainings, minimum 3, more if you have high learning or certain birthsigns. If you now assign one point to climbing, the game will roll 3d4 to see how much it increases. Instead of just rolling 3d3. So high dice will mean you use less levelup-points to get high skills.
---
However, most of the time, when you level up, you are given a max value for every skill. When you reach this skillevel, you no longer can assign points to it. To increase this max, you need to USE the skill. For instance, start a game with a character with low literacy. MAke a copy of the savefile to a different folder. Enter the SMC with one copy, and level up once just by killing stuff. Note the MAX level you can increase literacy to. Quit game.

Then use the other copy, enter Small Cave, pick up the scrolls, and read the scroll of information 50 times (or so). Level up once, and note your max literacy gain. 100, right?

Using skills in the game also will make them increase spontaniously outside of levelup. AND I think it will increase the DICE as well.

Practical training with Yergius gives you the same effect as using skills in the game. Climbing can be useful, because while you can train climbing by walking on mountain squares in wilderness with a climbing set, that takes much game time. I also use both theoretical and practical training if I get detect traps late, to quickly boost it up.

Disarm traps is easy to train in-game, just don't use corruption traps... alarm traps are always good, arrow and spear traps usually harmless too.
Portrait
adomist
Registered user
Noob

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, September 08, 2007 at 15:06 (GMT -5)

Thanks for clearing it up Molach.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 9/8/2007 at 15:07 (GMT -5) by adomist]

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: