Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Tracts

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

5763 days, 19 hours, 8 minutes and 33 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2002 at 06:08 (GMT -5)

Does anyone know what tracts are good for? All the Guidebook says is that they are buggy in g16p2. I tried reading a tract of balance as a neutral character, and it said that I felt more closely attuned to cosmic balance, but my alignment stayed at N- (yes, I know that doesn't necessarily mean it didn't change at all). I wondered whether my god would approve or disapprove if I sacrificed the tract, but in the end I just discarded it because it was too heavy to lug around and too time-consuming to read to exhaustion (I don't even know if tracts ever disappear).

I guess tracts of chaos are only any use to chaotic characters, although I got away with reading one as a crowned Champion of Balance once. ("You feel the anger of Order brewing... but you seem to be protected by the benevolence of Issrecht." Whatever effect that had, it didn't stop that character from winning the game. :-))

The Guidebook mentions that tracts of order can remove corruption - has anyone observed this?
Portrait
Akron
Registered user
Alcoholic

Last page view:

8072 days, 12 hours, 32 minutes and 36 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2002 at 07:13 (GMT -5)

Tracts are those few things in ADOM that nobody is familiar with. Or at least I haven't heard much about them anywhere. Or one possibility is that their code has not been finished yet. Maybe the .exe file has some text concerning the tracts?
But I can't say anything you didn't already know.

"Cruel Akron, bloody bastard I now spit on you. You can turn my bones to black ash but I will move the moon. I will light your evil kingdom and your heart will burn in flames. Mutilated or dismembered, we'll soon rise to eat your brains! -Warrior of Ice"
Portrait
Tha Messiah
Registered user
Angel of Death

Last page view:

7775 days, 11 hours, 35 minutes and 32 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2002 at 10:44 (GMT -5)

What the guidebook says bout tracts is true.Theyre very buggy.
Tracts of chaos dont affect you if you have high piety.
Tracts dont work properly.

THE MESSIAH,I'm here now,Worship me.
HicPotboy
Registered user
Web-dude

Last page view:

7309 days, 11 hours, 43 minutes and 27 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2002 at 10:45 (GMT -5)

Maybe I can shed a bit of light (not much, but maybe some...) I once got a tract of chaos when I was L+. It lowers your alignment if you read it, and my god wasn't very happy with me. My alignment dropped to L or L- after 5 or 6 readings. The tract also disappeared after that, saying, IIRC, "You have now learned as much as you can from this tract." or something like that. I hope that helped.

---
Hicpotboy
------
Hicpotboy
---------
Less twitch, more mental itch - saying by me.
Jedik
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2002 at 11:41 (GMT -5)

Once i've read (gray elf priest L+) tract of order and one of my corruptions was removed. I try and try again but nothing happens. Finally my deity getting anger and cursed me or cursed my inventory or hit me with bolts don't remember correctly. Some message occur before but forgot to register this.
adomer2
Registered user

Last page view:

8036 days, 13 hours, 59 minutes and 40 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2002 at 12:19 (GMT -5)

jedi i've had that happen too with a high level lawful character. the lawful tract removed a couple corruptions from me then it finally disappeared. however the amount of reading i did in it was done on one of the lowel CoC levels, 48 or so. i got the corruptions back just standing there.
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

1 day, 8 hours, 55 minutes and 39 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2002 at 19:22 (GMT -5)

From what I have heard a blessed tract of order can remove up to 3 corruptions for a lawfull (crowned?) chracter.

Maybe piety level have something to do with the result, if the god get angry eventualy it would seem like you use piety when you read them. Sort of like praying for alignment boost or corruption removal (just guessing here).

Anyway, nice if you don't have a lot of Scrolls of Chaos resistance handy, but as adomer said they take a lot of time to real so get out of the worst corruption zones before you read them...

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2002 at 04:22 (GMT -5)

I've recently tried reading a tract of order while a crowned Champion of Balance and very close to my neutral god. The message I get is something like:

You memorise the holy theorems of Onn. You feel an increase in inner strength. You feel the anger of Chaos brewing... but you seem to be protected by the benevolence of Istaria.

Does anyone know what that means, other than that if I hadn't been on such good terms with my neutral god I would have come to harm? I didn't notice any effects - no corruptions gained or lost, and no messages about transgressing some law or behaving in proper form (and my Law skill is at 100).

What I'd really like is a table of tract effects listing what can happen if a character of each alignment reads a tract of each alignment, like the one the Guidebook has for live sacrifices.
Portrait
Tha Messiah
Registered user
Angel of Death

Last page view:

7775 days, 11 hours, 35 minutes and 32 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2002 at 13:18 (GMT -5)

A bit off topic but why no necromancers start off with diffrent types of books.Had some start with Confucius book and another with a tract of chaos.

The tract of chaos didnt corrupt me.The message was something like "You study the unholy scriptures of <whatshisname>.You are filled with rage." or somethin like that.

THE MESSIAH,I'm here now,Worship me.
Jedik
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2002 at 15:26 (GMT -5)

Dark Elven Merchant (L+ not crowned yet) read tract of order.
Its almost the same message... almost:

You memorise the holy theorems of Elderon. You feel an increase in inner strength. You feel the anger of Chaos brewing... You suddenly hear a thundering voice I hereby punish thee punny mortal! Your equipment turns to dust. You feel the anger of Order brewing... You suddenly hear the thundering voice I hereby punish thee punny mortal! You barely notice some thoughts I can't belive it!

I read this once again and message was the same + you feel cleansed after inner strenght. And both order and chaos "can't belive it" :)

I Am The Night
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2002 at 01:04 (GMT -5)

I read a few order tracts I found after killin' everything on lvl 50 of the CoC and had a few corruptions removed. They eventually dissapeared, identical to spellbooks. I was crowned and had tons of piety from saccing lots of gp from scumming. I was L+, and only read the order tracts. I never got a 'negative' message from reading them.
Jedik
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2002 at 10:37 (GMT -5)

But I'm not crowned maybe that's why. Looks like only champions get positive effects because they are protected by his god.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 2/14/2002 at 10:38 (GMT -5) by its autor]
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2002 at 10:57 (GMT -5)

Jedik, do you know what your piety level was when you read the tract of order? I'm a bit puzzled about why the lawful god got angry with you.

A question for the crowned Champions of Law reading tracts of order: do you get the message about feeling the anger of Chaos brewing but being protected by your god?

Has anyone had any good effects with neutral characters and tracts of balance? My one experience with this was pretty early in the game, so I didn't have any corruptions to be removed, if tracts of balance can do that.
Jedik
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2002 at 15:37 (GMT -5)

When I read this tract before my piety level was very low. I went to neutral altar, convert it and sacrifice all gold I have. I was extremly close. Not crowned, read the tract.

You memorize..., You feel an increase..., You feel the anger of Chaos brewing... but you seem to be protected by the benevolence of Elderon. You feel the anger of Order brewing... but you seem to be protected by the benevolence of Elderon.

On the second time message was the same + remove one corruption (you feel cleansed)

Then I'm crowned. And read once again. Nothing changes. Feel the anger of Chaos and Order brewing, and Elderon protected me all the time. Finally I got this message:

As you learn the last bit of knowledge from this tract, it dissolves in a cloud of incense.

And no drop alignment. Still L+
Anger of Chaos - ok. But anger of Order? Even I was a champion of law? Why?

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 2/14/2002 at 15:41 (GMT -5) by its autor]
Jedik
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2002 at 16:02 (GMT -5)

Now I read two other tracts.
Tract of chaos:

You study the unholy scriptures of Lol'th. You feel an inner uproar. You feel the anger of Order brewing... but you seem to be protected by the benevolence of Elderon.

I read this couple times, get one corruption and:

As you learn the last bit of knowledge from this tract, it dissolves in a cloud of sulphur!

Tract of balance:

You learn the wise sayings of Anssaria. You feel more closely atuned to cosmic balance.

... in a cloud of mist!

With reading these tracts with lawfull character "You feel as if transgressing some law"

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: