Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Victory?

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

3571 days, 5 hours, 36 minutes and 33 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 at 14:55 (GMT -5)

Flavius, the drakish thief was born in the month of Candle. Started with crappy stats and illiterate. Did my usual routine, SMC, Kranach (with acid breath) then VD to get Healing. Outlaw Village next where I sold most of my junk for a good price (Barnabas was an orc). I killed the Mad Doctor, the ratling one of Hotzenplotz's bouncers before fleeing. Went to the UD and on UD4 I got the "you feel excited" and "you sense a sudden tension" messages. Gnolls dropped a ton of stuff and the orcs, too. One of the orcs dropped 7LB's, and it was only day 12. Wohoo! Long Sting was generated in the HMV village, but didn't buy it (stole it much later). I wasn't literate, so I couldn't identify my stuff, but when I tried to drop a long sword, Leggot wanted to give me 5.5k for it. So I tried it on. Adamantium long sword of devastation. Sweet. Anyway, I wrote his adventures while I was playing him, and the text file is pretty large and I don't want to write it here.
Flavius saved Khelly, massacred everything in every temple (including the Bug Temple, a first for me, hehe), slew a greater vault of red dragons (10 red wyrms and tons of dragons) where I found Preserver and Nature's Companion. When I got on D46 I was lv31, when I arrived on D47 I was lv46 :P
I had some trouble with corruption because I insisted on meleeing every grue and demon in every temple, but I had pick pocketed about 5 SoCR, !oCR and 5 RoDS, so corruption wasn't really a problem.
D50 was a breeze, I meleed almost everything except some of the balors and Fistanarius, which I destroyed with Far Slayer (found it in my inventory when I identified some stuff on D50). When I left D50 I had gotten my crossbow level from 1 to 8. Closed and destroyed the gates with a wand of destruction. All was done on day 59. Pfew. Got rid of all the corruptions (thanks Charlie the Unicorn), and decided to kill MalakaL. First I needed some potions to improve my stats if I wanted to survive so deep in the ID. Spent 30 minutes on a gremlin bomb in DH2 where I got a RoDS, 2-3 !oCC, 7 PoGA, Thunderstroke and the Ring of Immunity. Next I went to the ID. I met some really, really tough monsters starting from around ID40. Really tough. But Sting and Needle destroyed everything. I was so confident that I even meleed every very experienced greater moloch without retreating. Got the scepter and returned to Dwarftown, but I had about 6 corruptions from the scepter then. Sold the piece of junk and cured some of the corruptions. I identified my junk and saw a ring of weakness. Dropped all my weapons and missiles and put the ring on. Boom, you are crushed by tons of...
BTW, does this count as a victory, and can I submit it to the HoF? I had an AoLS in my inventory, would it have saved me if I had had it around me neck?

I never, ever thought that my first victory would be with a thief, since I usually play spellcasters. I know the win wasn't "perfect" (duh, since I died) but it felt nice winning after so many years of playing ADOM. I think I first started playing in July 2002, and a month after that I registered here :) It feels like I've been playing ADOM for half my life.
For the Horde!

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 9/15/2007 at 14:58 (GMT -5) by Mewto]
Portrait
**cHAoTicChaOs**
Registered user
Chaotic Awesome

Last page view:

5959 days, 21 hours, 29 minutes and 41 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 at 19:25 (GMT -5)

I think there is a new(ish) section in the HoFame for Winners that die after closing the Gate.. Put him in, congrats - you seemed to have a sweet run with Flavius
.vultuous.
Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 at 19:31 (GMT -5)

Thank you. It seems that even if I actually close the gate I still die of my own stupidity :) I just didn't think that the ring of weakness would reduce my St from ~55 to 1.
For the Horde!
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5113 days, 9 hours, 8 minutes and 29 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 at 02:53 (GMT -5)

Live and learn.

Or rather, die and learn. It is a victory, the valley is saved, but your character never got around to enjoying life ever after...
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5635 days, 22 hours, 8 minutes and 26 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 at 07:25 (GMT -5)

Congrats on the win, but, uh, why did you put the ring on in the first place? You had it identified. What were you trying to do? :)

I think AoLS would have saved you, then you would have had one turn to do something before being crushed again. Or, you just would have been crushed again immediately, not sure.
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 at 09:06 (GMT -5)

I had two ogre lord corpses with me :(
And Molach is so right...
For the Horde!

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: