Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Guide to being an Archer

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 2 pages long.
Go to page 1 2
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4066 days, 23 hours, 41 minutes and 43 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 at 16:59 (GMT -5)

Well, I had entirely too much freetime and wrote a guide to being an Archer, which essentially tells you in excrutiating detail how to be an Archer in ADOM.

Instead of posting it here, I created http://adomguides.blogspot.com where you will now be able to find that guide.

I plan on posting more, but first: could you tell me your opinion on the one I wrote?

Also, if you want to write one of the remaining 19 yourself, tell me so I know what I don't need to write myself anymore :)

EDIT: What I'd also like is suggestions on what sorts of guides could be included on ADOM Guides as well. I aim to have pretty much all stuff on there that's helpful but isn't in the guidebook already.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!

Is this thing any good?
Yes  No
Check results

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 9/16/2007 at 17:04 (GMT -5) by Silfir]
Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

3598 days, 1 hour and 22 minutes ago.
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 at 17:06 (GMT -5)

Man, that is sweet! I haven't managed to read it all, I'm going to watch Order of the Phoenix first, but it looks really great and detailed. I know making an exact guide is impossible for ADOM, duh it's a random game, but it's great. Hope to see more guides from you.
For the Horde!
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

4148 days, 4 hours, 16 minutes and 24 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 at 17:38 (GMT -5)

i wouldn't call sword usefull for archers, ad it decreases only melee weapon need for marks.

and not mentioning acid breath as drakes pro is strange (it ain't for doplegangers only, it is very fast and always present way to decrease satiation status either regaining speed or abusing starvation)

other than that nice work.
A root is a flower that disdains fame.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 at 18:01 (GMT -5)

Thanks Soirana, I should at the very least list the breathing attack under Pros - maybe even add a section for the drakeling breathing attack under "non-archer skills" to say something about its use. Not now, though, because it's pretty late already where I live.

About Sword: Even faster melee weapon skill gainage is still somewhat useful as you should be fairly good in some melee weapon skills, say, daggers for phase daggers, or spears. And doesn't it also work for shields?
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

4148 days, 4 hours, 16 minutes and 24 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 at 23:40 (GMT -5)

nope, sword doesn't work for shields. recheked few momenmts ago.
A root is a flower that disdains fame.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

4597 days, 13 hours, 4 minutes and 47 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 at 19:57 (GMT -5)

I liked your guide. Maybe a section on equipment and such would be helpful. What I thought was missing, maybe left out intentionally, was ways to exploit traps and monsters for extra ammo, which is very helpful in the early game when you can run out quickly, forcing you to melee. Arrow traps, kobolds, dark hurthlings, barbarians, ratling and de archers, goblin rockthrowers.

How about a section on good wish choices for Archers? Smithing Crossbows? Weight management strategies so you don't overburden yourself carrying too much ammo?
"As for me, I feel priveleged to be among the only species able to make scientific inquiries." -unknown

"Be sure to keep your distance if you don't have resistance." -DG
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 at 06:42 (GMT -5)

These are very good suggestions! I knew there were a lot of things still missing. Thanks, Nightmare!
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

5825 days, 19 hours, 17 minutes and 12 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 at 12:47 (GMT -5)

Drakelings have another thing going for them as well - (apparently) scurgari are quite hard to break. I also seem to find relatively lots of scurgari of higher material in mixed shops.
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
http://www.mindistortion.net/iwantyoursoul/?i_am=Darkcutter
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user
Master of all things nOOby!!!

Last page view:

5762 days, 12 hours, 54 minutes and 51 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 at 21:29 (GMT -5)

excellent.
"You try to give Fang, the large dog the bone. Fang, the large dog says,"Do you know who I am, mortal?!?!"
My smartest dog ever:D
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 at 07:41 (GMT -5)

Drakelings may start with scurgari, but they don't have boni for them beyond their starting weapon skill of one (which only costs 7 marks to get!). I haven't done experiments on how long those starting scurgari hold... Even though the boomerangs & scurgari class may be the best of the throwing weapon classes, they're still only throwing weapons. In the long run, if you don't find scurgari of returning or several boomerangs, scurgari are vastly inferior. With these, still inferior, just not vastly.
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5662 days, 17 hours, 53 minutes and 53 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 at 13:55 (GMT -5)

Throwing Soaker and Long Sting is kinda fun(even serpent's bite does more base missile dmg than melee). Fun like shooting thunderstroke or true aim.

I liked the guide. Very nice.
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 at 14:10 (GMT -5)

The depressing thing about artifact missiles and using most artifacts as missiles is that they're only good for one shot. After that, you have to figure out for yourself what to use next. True Aim and Thunderstroke provide a very nice increase of your missile damage, granted - but nothing beyond that. To use stuff like Soaker and Long Sting effectively as throwing weapons, you have to invest in Thrown spears. To use Serpent's Bite, you have to invest in Thrown daggers. Without returning weapons, there simply isn't enough ammunition available to do that - and it is hardly worthwhile if your powerful thrown weapon is just good for one shot. Not to mention you get no resistances, attribute boni and all the other advantages of artifacts if you throw the artifact away.

That's why the emerald dagger only truly shines in melee, when you deliver the humanoid slaying, +crit and poison damage *every turn* instead of only once.
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

5825 days, 19 hours, 17 minutes and 12 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 at 15:44 (GMT -5)

"Drakelings may start with scurgari, but they don't have boni for them beyond their starting weapon skill of one (which only costs 7 marks to get!). I haven't done experiments on how long those starting scurgari hold... Even though the boomerangs & scurgari class may be the best of the throwing weapon classes, they're still only throwing weapons. In the long run, if you don't find scurgari of returning or several boomerangs, scurgari are vastly inferior. With these, still inferior, just not vastly."
That would have been my next point, boomerangs and scurgari of returning made of higher metal. Either way, telling people not to play Drakelings with scurgari is like telling people not to play merchants.
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
http://www.mindistortion.net/iwantyoursoul/?i_am=Darkcutter
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 at 05:31 (GMT -5)

Scurgari of returning only deal damage like a mithril scurgar, and I don't think their returning is as reliable as that of a boomerang.

And no slaying powers on any scurgar in the whole wide world.

And it was may intention to point out which of the races are weaker archers compared to the others. Drakeling archers are a challenge, just like merchants, yes :)
Portrait
Hendar23
Registered user

Last page view:

5655 days, 13 hours, 3 minutes and 8 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 at 17:59 (GMT -5)

Nice. I suck at ADOM, I'll put this to good use. You need to mention farming creatures for ammo though. Kobolds keep me in arrows for the early game.
"Men are born for games. Nothing else. Every child knows that play is nobler than work" - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 at 18:05 (GMT -5)

As soon as you hit lv6 you can kill hordes of barbarians in the wilderness for arrows, provided you have decent Dodge, of course.
For the Horde!
Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 at 18:18 (GMT -5)

Kranach and his raider gang get me 50-150 arrows if I run them around long enough.

Makes me wonder though if this decreases their chance to drop a stack of arrows, which might be preferrable. Too bad there isn't a way to bundle up all those lose arrows or two and turn it into a stack.
"As for me, I feel priveleged to be among the only species able to make scientific inquiries." -unknown

Portrait
GiantFrog
Registered user
another gray elven wizard

Last page view:

5433 days, 18 hours, 9 minutes and 55 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 at 18:26 (GMT -5)

I too find a million non-stacking arrows annoying. But as with everything in ADOM, there can be an upside to it - carrying all those loose missiles can act as a safety buffer when you suffer item destruction.

I'm sure I'm not saying anything new with that. It's just one of the things that always amazes me about ADOM - no matter how irredeemably awful something might seem, there's almost always a way to exploit it to your benefit.
You pick up the worn boots.
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 at 04:35 (GMT -5)

Well, except for emperor liches.

Wait, killing them gets you XP. Damn.

Then emperor liches with a level 50 character.

Wait, killing them gets you XP, which can result in additional skill advances. Damn.

Then emperor liches with a level 50 character that has all skills maxed.

Aw shit, emperor liches can still drop items. Forget it.
Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 at 04:57 (GMT -5)

Even corruption has it's uses :)
For the Horde!
vogonpoet
Registered user

Last page view:

4955 days, 6 hours, 30 minutes and 17 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 at 07:29 (GMT -5)

though we are still struggling to find use for tree climbing...
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 at 11:27 (GMT -5)

Training the climbing skill?
Narcolepcy
Registered user

Last page view:

4805 days, 9 minutes and 9 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2007 at 21:59 (GMT -5)

You missed a few important things in your guide like say, the regeneration tables found in the guidebook (drakelings have second highest hp regen), and also lifespans of elves or the extra talents of gnomes and hurthlings. Drakeling spit is also my favorite race ability, works great on coward mode when u just cant afford to get hit. For talking about berserking so much im surprised you didnt mention natural berserker, great for 2 talent points even though its prereq isnt that desirable.
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 at 04:54 (GMT -5)

Hmm, natural hp regeneration. The effect never seems to be that impressive to me. The lifespans are indeed something I missed.

Natural berserker? I've got to look into that...

Thanks for your suggestions, in any case! :)
Narcolepcy
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 at 08:01 (GMT -5)

It might be too minute of a detail to be worth mentioning but the mana stat can actually be useful. Just rolled a gnome born in the unicorn with 18 mana and stats /7, starting the game with both treasure hunter AND long stride is almost cheating :þ just got precrowned with Far slayer, and goin for another. Makes dark elves a little more apealing when considered given their default 16 mana. Also i am loving ventriloquism for dopplegangers, you can use it on them WHILE confused, extremly usefull for an archer.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 9/23/2007 at 08:42 (GMT -5) by Narcolepcy]
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 at 05:55 (GMT -5)

I was ahead of you there. I already included the mana stat in my revised talent section and mentioned the gnomish badassness :P

No detail is too minute to be included in my guide!

The ventriloquism thing is a nice gimmick, though, and as good as included. Should mention the doppleganger confusion resistance of the Raven starsign as well, come to think of it.

The revised version is still lying around on my laptop hard drive, but I'll probably not get around to posting it until the weekend. So until then, suggestions are deeply appreciated!
Narcolepcy
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 at 06:51 (GMT -5)

Also there is a use for doubled missile atack ranges, besides regular returning artifacts like Rolf's axe, it works for huge rocks, wich have a dismal range but 10d6 damage could be nice if u got a real strong hurthling (girdle of greed, strength of atlas).
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 at 08:57 (GMT -5)

I should probably add something like the sentence "In any case, the level 12 class power should solve all problems you could ever have with weapon range, in case you want to throw huge rocks or something like that." just for the sake of the completion... Thanks, anyway ;)
Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 at 18:43 (GMT -5)

Great update to your guide! A few minor things, very petty, that I'd mention. I don't think your wish list includes eternium tower shields or rings or elemental mastery, crowns of fire/lightning/regeneration.

On another note,
Which rings or amulets or bracers would best
benefit an archer?

Tips on fighting Filk, Emperor Moloch, Keriax, the chaos knight in ID, andy, as an archer?

vogonpoet
Registered user

Last page view:

4955 days, 6 hours, 30 minutes and 17 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 at 02:37 (GMT -5)

rings and amulets for an archer -
I love speed speed speed speed.
Go to page 1 2

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: