Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Roguelike / Hellgate London

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

BrasilianWeirdVideos
Registered user
pron knight

Last page view:

5138 days, 23 hours, 6 minutes and 58 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 at 13:46 (GMT -5)

http://www.hellgatelondon.com/ have you played it? Does it contains some roguelike elemnents? Do you recommend it?
BrasilianWeirdVideos
Registered user
pron knight

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 at 23:27 (GMT -5)

Some discussion about hgl here http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.roguelike.development/browse_thread/thread/e81676cfe4370172/c326bbcf7025d437?hl=en#c326bbcf7025d437

Looks like the demo is now available.. let's try it http://www.gamedaily.com/games/hellgate-london/pc/game-downloads/hellgate-london-demo/4251/7197/
Portrait
Hendar23
Registered user

Last page view:

5628 days, 15 hours, 38 minutes and 29 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 at 09:36 (GMT -5)

I just played the demo. It's fun. I was playing the hunter, and it feels exactly like playing a FPS version of Diablo. With plasma guns.

It has very high system requirements considering the graphics quality. I've been playing HL2 Episode2 which has stunning looks on massive levels, and HellGate looks and plays like ass with tiny levels. I'm not a graphics whore so I could live with it, but the so-so FPS are annoying, and the animation of the baddies is very wooden which spoils the immersion a bit.

The big problem I have is the in game advertising. The 'town' sections are littered with posters on the walls..just like the real London Underground, except these ads are for nVidia and Alienware. Not the kind of thing you see in real life, and it looks stupid. I'm surprised the PC Gamer review didn't mention it, seeing as in game advertising is such a controversial topic. But then big magazines like PC Gamer are too scared of pissing off the big publishers and loosing all those exlusive interviews and reviews.

This is a big issues to me. I quite like the game, but I loath advertising and particularly despise it in my games, which seem to be the last bastion safe from from ads. (I recently saw an ad for a movie pop up DURING a TV show! The movie had nothing WHATSOEVER to do with show! WTF?!?)

So I will only be purchasing the game if the ads are removed.
"Men are born for games. Nothing else. Every child knows that play is nobler than work" - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
Narcolepcy
Registered user

Last page view:

4778 days, 2 hours, 44 minutes and 30 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 at 13:47 (GMT -5)

I'll only be purchasing it if it's free, wait, nevermind.
Portrait
Hendar23
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 at 15:19 (GMT -5)

I don't mind paying an extra $10-20 for a game up front if thats what the devs need to cover their costs and make money. I don't mind ads if the game is free.
"Men are born for games. Nothing else. Every child knows that play is nobler than work" - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
Portrait
Hendar23
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 at 17:27 (GMT -5)

Oh man....they just sent me a Beta invite. I'm gonna HAVE to play it now. Bastards.
BrasilianWeirdVideos
Registered user
pron knight

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2007 at 08:38 (GMT -5)

.. I must admit I completely agree with you.

LOL, here is the somethingawful.com review of Hellgate London!
http://www.somethingawful.com/d/news/hellgate-london-subscription.php

Tevyarerymn
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, August 03, 2009 at 17:08 (GMT -5)

hey just wanted to say hi and introduce myself to this forum

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 8/4/2009 at 18:32 (GMT -5) by Jan Erik]
BrasilianWeirdVideos
Registered user
pron knight

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, September 30, 2009 at 20:02 (GMT -5)

The game ended to be awful and its company closed.. too bad!

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: