Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Pools

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
GiantFrog
Registered user
another gray elven wizard

Last page view:

5432 days, 21 hours, 16 minutes and 13 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 at 22:12 (GMT -5)

For the longest time, I was scared to drink from pools and generally avoided them. No one wants their perfect character marred by some BS pool effect, right? But lately I've been drinkin' them like crazy and keeping notes. I find that I get about 2 good effects for every bad one. And a lot of the bad ones aren't really all that terrible.

Am I just the luckiest boy in the world (I do avoid pools unless I'm at maximum luck status)? Or have others experienced something similar?
You pick up the worn boots.
Ruttiger
Registered user

Last page view:

6051 days, 16 hours, 57 minutes and 28 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 at 23:27 (GMT -5)

Pools seem to have a net positive effect for me too, especially considering some of the resistances you get that aren't attainable otherwise, and the occasionaly wish. The problem is there are two effects I can't stand, one being teleportitis, the other being permanent invisibility. Nothing sucks more than getting one of those and then just hoping another pool takes it away.
Portrait
GiantFrog
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 at 00:41 (GMT -5)

Permanent invisibility at least has an upside. The real dread combination is teleportitis plus losing the teleport control you were lucky enough to already have.

But nonetheless, am I wrong to think drinking from pools is almost always worth it, especially at low level when you don't have many intrinsics to lose? Assuming of course you have easy access to an altar soon after...
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3896 days, 21 minutes and 51 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 at 00:46 (GMT -5)

You shouldn't drink from pools when you are at a low lwl, because, there are plenty of bad things that could happen. You could get corrupted, lose stats gain teleportitis without control, summon water snakes, vipers and even a water elemental.
"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
Portrait
GiantFrog
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 at 01:22 (GMT -5)

I'm having no luck with this avatar.
Portrait
GiantFrog
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 at 02:27 (GMT -5)

You're right, of course, Morio. You could easily lose a low-level character to a big ol' water elemental or even those pesky snakes.

I guess I don't worry as much about the things that'll actually kill you. My enthusiasm is rarely diminished by a dead character. It's the crippled characters that bum me out.

P.S. I'm no longer angry with my avatar
Narcolepcy
Registered user

Last page view:

4804 days, 3 hours, 15 minutes and 27 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 at 02:29 (GMT -5)

If you have access to an alter and can beat the snakes easily, the worst that can really happen to you is coruption, losing something u already have or having to run to an alter. The less instinsics u have the more u have to gain, cant roll half the bad things so u have a good chance to get many good intrinsics. If u already have some nice intrinsics like teleporting with control dont bother.
Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

3597 days, 4 hours, 28 minutes and 18 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 at 02:40 (GMT -5)

Aging can be potentially fatal to a troll or orc.
For the Horde!
Portrait
GiantFrog
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 at 02:50 (GMT -5)

True dat.

Though the potential wishing almost makes it seem worth the bother...
Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

3597 days, 4 hours, 28 minutes and 18 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 at 04:02 (GMT -5)

It usually is, at least to me. I never drink pools before I have high piety, ring of TC and a potion of youth + a !oCC.
For the Horde!
vogonpoet
Registered user

Last page view:

4954 days, 9 hours, 36 minutes and 35 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 at 06:15 (GMT -5)

Emerald Trr (see current character thread :)) drained every pool he saw, once he had kitted self out with 4 luck granting items, and everything Mewto mentions. No wish, but he had to walk back to nearest altar to remove dooming or cursing 6 times.

Pools are for me normally a third last resort - I drain them after exploring all surface areas currently possible, but before making gremlin bomb, and do both these things before letting Khelly die.

Still don't often see a wish or a AoLS, and to be honest, seeing as how Emerald Trr survived withou Khelly's SoCR, I think I might be letting K die a lot more often in future, if I am playing characters blatantly not suited to ultra-endings, eg, bloody trolls. THen I can progress loads faster, and not have to worry about pools or bombs...

Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5139 days, 8 hours and 14 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 at 06:33 (GMT -5)

My criteria for pool-drinking:
* Be powerful enough to defeat snakes/elemental - and if short-lived, you must be young at heart.
* Be finished with dwarf quest #4 (or have 19 wins and the patience to scum for a potion of visibility
* Have either TC or a spare blink dog corpse.
* Have a coaligned altar available. Preferably have high piety.

The last point is also not THAT important, you could always go to ID and scum around till you find blink dogs. Its very annoying, but hardly game-killing with teleportitis and no control. First point merely deals with survival. The second point is also not game-killing - you lose a little reward and quest #5, but there is no reason not to satisfy this criteria.

Pools are good for your character because of the intrinsics you can never otherwise et. Paralysis and Death being the best ones.

If you really need a wish you of course drain all pools, but if you just want to make your character best possible, you might consider stopping at any time you have a large number of good, unobtainable intrinsics. Do not bother about any of the others, you will get them easily back. Even TC. And if you lucked out and got acid or lightning immunity, they won't be taken away.

So stop after "You are moved by the sheer pleasure of this sip of fluid." And/or "You feel bold at the thought of danger"

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: