Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / ADOM Quiz

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 2 pages long.
Go to page 1 2
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4068 days, 2 hours, 52 minutes and 20 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 at 06:25 (GMT -5)

THE ADOM QUIZ - ARE YOU AN ADOM VETERAN?

(Not to be taken too seriously)

The quiz has updated, the question D replaced with a better question. You can still read the old question D with its solution, though ;)

A: As you enter a mid game dungeon, you suddenly feel threatened. Deciding to explore the dungeon nonetheless, you walk down a hallway, only to find yourself surrounded by ghost kings. All your escape routes are blocked.

What race is your character?

B: You have arrived in Dwarftown for the first time and decide to examine the merchandise of Waldenbrook's shop. While most of the items are of pretty low interest, you suddenly approach a shiny-looking item in a corner of the shop. The sign attached to it says: "Mithril halberd of penetration".

What class is your character?

C: Upon your entrance into an early game dungeon, you suddenly feel a surge of power. As you read your only scroll of item detection, you notice a light green dagger lying in the very next room.

By what kind of monster is the artifact guarded?

Spoiler

D: On D:34, you suddenly encounter a black wizard. Just as you catch up to him to slay him in melee, he manages to get a last summon spell going, completely surrounding you with monsters.

What monsters has he summoned?

NEW QUESTION D: On D:34, you have just barely escaped from a close encounter with a powerful wyrm out of a mixed tension room; while confused, you had managed to stumble onto the stairs leading to D:35. As you emerge, still unable to think clearly, you notice that your surroundings are completely dark. As you stagger through the darkness trying to recover, you suddenly hit something with your eternium two-handed sword of devastation, killing it.

What monster did you just slay?

E: It has taken an exhaustingly long time, enormous patience and sacrificing of food, monsters, gold and valuable items, but you have finally managed to become eligible for a precrowning. As you pray, the gods acknowledge your efforts and grant you an artifact, which is now lying at your feet.

What is the name of the artifact?

F: You have finally arrived on D:50 for the final battle. However, chaos has taken its toll, and you have already been corrupted to a fair percentage and used up all of your means of corruption removal. However, you do have a wand of destruction with four charges, and hope to be able to close the levers, destroy them and leave. You manage to fight your way to the first lever. Just as you have closed it, a balor teleports next to you and critically hits you, corrupting you further.

Which corruption have you just obtained?

SOLUTION AND EVALUATION:

Spoiler

A: Score a full point for orc and troll, half a point for hurthling, human and drakeling.
B: Score a full point for Beastfighter. Monks do not earn any points because they can use Polearms effectively.
C: Score a full point for ice, lightning and acid vortex. Fire vortex earns half a point since they are not powerful enough to destroy your character in all cases.
D: Score a full point for cave tigers, cave lions or wild cats. You may give yourself half a point if you chose doppleganger kings - though that answer shows experience in the true nature of ADOM, it has not taken the dungeon level into account.
New question D: Score a full point for cave tiger, cave lion or wild cat. No point for doppleganger king since you can't kill them in one hit even with a eternium two-handed sword of devastation - and even then, you'd still have killed it, negating the problem ;)
E: Score a full point for the Black Tome of Alsophocus. Score half a point for Thunderstroke or True Aim.
F: Score a full point for mana battery only.

5 points or higher: You are a true ADOM veteran. You have suffered through the most devastating experiences. Nothing can shake you, nothing can surprise you, and you live with the knowledge that what can be taken away will be taken away, and there is no such thing as immortality. You are One with The Game.

3 to 4.5 points: Your experience is admirable and you have played for a long time, and you have shown a basic understanding of what The Game is about. However, sometimes you get tricked, sometimes you let your guard down. Continue playing and learning - you will learn your final lessons soon.

1 to 2.5 points: You have played for some time, but you are yet unaware of the greater picture. More often than not, you are at a loss at why you keep losing. There is a long way for you to go yet, but fear not - you will learn.

Zero or half a point: Ah, to taste the sweet scent of newness again. Barely have you scratched the surface of The Game, mistaking minor challenges for unfairness. You have not yet experienced anything of the real cruelty of The Game. You will learn - slowly, and it will hurt. But do not despair - what does kill you makes you stronger.

You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 10/4/2007 at 11:51 (GMT -5) by Silfir]
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3116 days, 21 hours, 39 minutes and 22 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 at 06:45 (GMT -5)

I had B, E, F happen in my game :)

Add - after you defeated all monsters capable of turining the second lever you head towards the stairs and check your inventory - what wand did you not notice untill now? :D
A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 10/1/2007 at 06:45 (GMT -5) by Maelstrom]
vogonpoet
Registered user

Last page view:

4956 days, 9 hours, 40 minutes and 54 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 at 07:19 (GMT -5)

4.5 - I have much still to learn about surges of power, and counting up to 35.

<cheers>
Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

3599 days, 4 hours, 32 minutes and 37 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 at 07:31 (GMT -5)

2 :(
For the Horde!
vogonpoet
Registered user

Last page view:

4956 days, 9 hours, 40 minutes and 54 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 at 09:07 (GMT -5)

What are you Mewto, some sort of RNG loving optimist?
Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 at 10:38 (GMT -5)

Nah :) Got A and E right. Chose monk on C, but that was because I didn't know about the polearm thing.
For the Horde!
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

5826 days, 22 hours, 27 minutes and 49 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 at 14:57 (GMT -5)

Troll; wizard; titan; dunno; Bugbiter; mana battery OR the last corruption which ends your game.
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
http://www.mindistortion.net/iwantyoursoul/?i_am=Darkcutter
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 at 14:59 (GMT -5)

Oh man. Wizards can't fight either, and Bugbiter is worse than the arrows :O
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 at 15:58 (GMT -5)

Bugbiter might be worse than the arrow and quarrel, but it's not worse than the Black Tome :)
For the Horde!
Narcolepcy
Registered user

Last page view:

4806 days, 3 hours, 19 minutes and 46 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 at 17:40 (GMT -5)

Shezestriakis has to deserve a point for E.
Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 at 17:42 (GMT -5)

Not really, S. doesn't contain the essence of chaos, unlike some artifact I know...
For the Horde!
Narcolepcy
Registered user

Last page view:

4806 days, 3 hours, 19 minutes and 46 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 at 17:54 (GMT -5)

Unless im a wizard id much rather have true aim or thunderstroke.
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 at 07:07 (GMT -5)

Bugbiter wasn't left out on purpose, I assure you, so you get half a point for that answer, as for any artifact that is truly crappy (Soaker would qualify as well, for instance). It doesn't deserve a full point, though. Only the Black Tome of Alsophocus does. Can Shezestriakis even be generated randomly? I was under the impression that it can only be generated as a crowning gift.

Titan is a wrong answer. They don't appear in an early game dungeon ever. Vortices do. Believe me, I know.

And wizards can fight with polearms just as well as other classes - only that gathering weapon skill marks takes twice as long compared to a true fighting class, and they don't have Find Weakness (few classes have). And if a wizard ever has to use a melee weapon, a penetration weapon would be it.

Beastfighter is the correct answer because they get PENALTIES for fighting with any weapon except their bare hands.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 10/2/2007 at 07:11 (GMT -5) by Silfir]
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 at 07:13 (GMT -5)

Well, I do *occasionally* use weapons for beastfighters. Okay, I'm done arguing. :D
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 at 07:24 (GMT -5)

Shezestriakis would also be a decent artifact for spellcasters: 15 DV and they don't use melee or missile attacks anyway.
Portrait
zv
Registered user

Last page view:

5660 days, 2 hours, 25 minutes and 31 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 at 14:32 (GMT -5)

I've got 4,5 - troll, beastfighter, nasty ;), doppelganger kings, black tome and mana battery.

IIRC you can't get Bugbiter or Shezestriakis via precrown without patching ADoM.

I disagree with the answer for D. D:34 doesn't disallow teleportation and by this time teleporting out should be possible for every character.

Imho this question should read: You just loaded your game on, standing in the first room of an unexplored D:35. You don't remember what message you got upon entering (because you had to save quickly last time?). You suddenly encounter a black wizard. Just as you catch up to him to slay him in melee, he manages to get a last summon spell going, completely surrounding you with monsters.

Now, THAT's a sticky situation ;)

Oh, and I had B and E happen to me. 'A' only with ghost lords.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 10/2/2007 at 14:35 (GMT -5) by zv]
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 at 11:43 (GMT -5)

With myself, that's three people who find a mithril halberd (or another kickass penetrating weapon) in a shop while playing a beastfighter.

I smell a conspiracy!

And yes, you could simply teleport out of that mess. You could also start playing some music to tame the cats and watch them kill each other. It's not that good a question as I though it is, which proves I'm not a perfect ADOM veteran myself.

I think I have another idea on how to improve that question, though...
Lost_one
Registered user
unregistered user

Last page view:

5921 days, 2 hours, 13 minutes and 50 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 at 04:13 (GMT -5)

well, I got 4.

It would've been 3.5, but I got lucky with the beast fighter guess :P
"I have opinions -STRONG opinions- that sometimes, I don't agree with"

---Prez. George W. Bush
noob
Registered user

Last page view:

5928 days, 5 hours, 22 minutes and 26 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 at 14:16 (GMT -5)

Yet another small quiz...

1. Somewhere in the UD you found a room full of decaying skelletons with a couple of zombies. Easily chopping through dead meat you advance still on full hp. Suddenly you are dead...

What is the name of the amulet in your backpack you didn't identify to save your scrolls for later?

2. On the early Caverns of Chaos you hear a splashing sound. After getting some nice intrinsics you encounter a karmic lizard in some passage. You think that's a good opportunity to test that still unidentified wand...

Which intrinsic didn't you get from the pool?

3. After destroying the Snake from Beyond your cocky wizard wrecks havoc upon a mixed vault with his powerful bolt-spells...

Which item will never be generated for you?

4. Being a harsh perfectionist you force your character down into the twisted minotaur maze. After slaugthering gross bovines under purple radiation suddenly acid is poored on you from above...

Which item is destroyed?

5. You return heavily wounded and corrupted but victorious from some epic dragon ass-kicking action. After staggering up the stairs drenched in blue dragon blood you claim your bounty and pick up all the stuff you (spoiled as you are) left in the corner - so it wouldn't be destroyed in the battle...

What item is most numerous in your backpack?

6. Almost there... You just boasted on the forums how your unstoppable godlike level 50 deathmachine of destruction with artifacts for every slot, all 99 stats, all 100 skills, millions of gold, all items x50, TotrR, Trinity, Orbs, all quests done, all npc + shopkeeper dead, Champion of Chaos, all resistances ... is ready for the final UCG-Challenge. Descending while shredding all the puny wannabe monsters to pieces with one mighty sweap you meet one helpless green hag. For some odd rng-reason you miss your attack...

What is glowing in a black light suddenly?

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 11/16/2007 at 17:18 (GMT -5) by noob]
Portrait
PowerWyrm
Registered user
Great Wyrm of Order

Last page view:

4506 days, 31 minutes and 54 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 at 15:02 (GMT -5)

1. I don't understand this one... I can't see how skeletons or zombies could kill your character, unless you get poisoned and you are very low level
2. Shock resistance, because that wand is ball lightning :)
3. I'm perplexed again... could be a PoCC if you forget to bring the corpse of the SFB to the surface quickly
4. Your scrolls of magic mapping... or helm/ring of mental stability
5. Potions of poison :)
6. Of course... your girdle of greed :) (or girdle of carrying if you have more items than gold)

The Great Wyrm of Order breathes light (more) - wow, you feel very smart!
noob
Registered user

Last page view:

5928 days, 5 hours, 22 minutes and 27 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 at 15:22 (GMT -5)

...3/6 - not bad
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

4068 days, 2 hours, 52 minutes and 21 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 at 17:05 (GMT -5)

1. Amulet of Hunger
2. Shock resistance
3. Book of Acid Ball?
4. Scrolls of chaos resistance (THAT COULD BE ANYTHING!)
5. Potion of poison
6. Girdle of greed (Even with 99 strength, "Millions" of gold pieces plus all that equipment probably requires Da Trick)

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 11/16/2007 at 17:06 (GMT -5) by Silfir]
noob
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 at 17:17 (GMT -5)

same 3/6

1. i should have told - the amulet is in your backpack
4. could indeed be anything - but one is special...

;) keep trying
Sulangatori
Registered user
Tourist

Last page view:

1441 days, 7 hours, 34 minutes and 59 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 at 23:49 (GMT -5)

4) This can not be anything, in fact, it can only be one thing: a means of retreat from the western world

3) A nice ring

...but nr 1? hm
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

4897 days, 4 hours, 27 minutes and 7 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2007 at 00:44 (GMT -5)

1. amulet of rabies resistance
(zombies make me sick)
2. -shock
3. Maybe ankh? Your troll wizard just
got level 17?
Or Minotaur Axe if level 28? I think.
4. "Aghh! My climbing set!" "I knew I was
forgetting to drop something on the
stairs outside!"
5. poison
6. girdle of greed
Put me in the 'fool filter', where I belong!

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 11/17/2007 at 01:12 (GMT -5) by gut]
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2007 at 04:27 (GMT -5)

1. Amulet of protection from undead, there were ghuls mixed in there!
noob
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2007 at 05:17 (GMT -5)

yes, you got it - depending on color-display they may look only slightly darker then skels (i meant the other protecting amulet though cause i'm not really sure what protection from undead exactly does)

Sulangatori: well done ;)
gut: 4/6

nice work

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 11/17/2007 at 05:19 (GMT -5) by noob]
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2007 at 06:12 (GMT -5)

I'm not too sure either what the undead protection thing does, but the amulet of free action is probably the better answer.

Your question was misleading, though. You said "skeletons and zombies". Though "decaying skeletons" may have been intended to be hint, in that case, well hidden.

Nice quiz, in any case!
Jhonka
Registered user
Kickass player

Last page view:

5356 days, 2 hours, 9 minutes and 55 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2007 at 06:46 (GMT -5)

OK, this is one that has happened to me TWICE(a bit more difficult, i'd think)

"You are a black hearted mindcrafter going for the ultimate challenge. After long and painful yet victorius battle for the last sign of power, you climb your way up knowing that you're almost there. Your sight is suddenly gone and you're standing all alone."

what is the message generated
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2007 at 08:02 (GMT -5)

You have walked into the fangs of a slavering grue! You die...
Go to page 1 2

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: