Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Smithing

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
GiantFrog
Registered user
another gray elven wizard

Last page view:

5434 days, 2 hours, 55 minutes and 34 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 at 23:19 (GMT -5)

My current character is the first one with whom I've tried to smith. I found an anvil pretty early and a forge on D:9. I have a couple of questions, if anyone would like to help me out.

1) Does the ingot have to match the item (e.g., must I use an iron ingot on an iron helmet)?

2) If not, does using a higher metal give a greater chance of success (e.g., using a mithril ingot on an iron helmet)?

3) How the heck do I get my skill up? I've maxed out my per-level increases, and I've tried practicing but it seems you need a success to get any skill-training. The only successes I've had have been at smelting ore. Must I spend the next few levels chasing ants for ore to practice with?

Any help is appreciated.
You pick up the worn boots.
Narcolepcy
Registered user

Last page view:

4805 days, 8 hours, 54 minutes and 48 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 at 01:55 (GMT -5)

1.) yes

3.)It only trains when succsessfully aplied or; when succesfully smelting an ore, successfully increasing an items stats.
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3897 days, 6 hours, 1 minute and 12 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 at 05:27 (GMT -5)

Get a pick-axe (the pyramid has one if you can't find anywhere else). use levels 1-9 of the CoC to get ores (if you go deeper you will get corrupted). Kill Glod to get anvil and eternium hammer. Start melting your ores.

Alternatively you could make a dwaren smith, they get very high smithing to start with (often 100). And they also start out with metallurgy and mining.
"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
Portrait
GiantFrog
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 at 14:32 (GMT -5)

Cool, thanks guys. I already have a blessed anvil, blessed eternium hammer, and blessed leather apron (I assume the apron is for smithing).

I hadn't thought of digging for ore myself, that's a great idea. I have two pickaxes and a bunch of scrolls of repair, plus a few days to spare, so I'll definitely try that.
Portrait
GiantFrog
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 at 16:35 (GMT -5)

I just had an idea - if I lure dwarves down to D:9, they'll do my mining for me. Right?
Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

3598 days, 10 hours, 7 minutes and 39 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 at 18:03 (GMT -5)

Yes, but it would take a lot of time to mine a level, and IIRC dwarves pick up ores and gems.
For the Horde!
Narcolepcy
Registered user

Last page view:

4805 days, 8 hours, 54 minutes and 48 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 at 22:03 (GMT -5)

If you have 100 mining skill it takes a ridiculously short amount of time to shatter a rock, like 3 seconds or so. Also I've read reports of testing that showed no increase in smithing due to wearing an apron, I usually wear one anyway though.
Portrait
Gooy
Registered user

Last page view:

5594 days, 16 hours, 40 minutes and 36 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 at 22:28 (GMT -5)

3) Train smithing by 'unrusting', it doesn't require any ore or ingot but you can train skill repeatedly and rapidly.
Well. at least repeatedly.
Make item rusty (water trap, etc) then unrust them, then again.
Cat lord attacks Wild cat! Wild cat killed!
Gooy says "What the..."
Portrait
GiantFrog
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 at 03:09 (GMT -5)

Mining skill is unfortunately not in the cards for this character.

Thanks for the tip, Gooy, that's good to know.

I think I'm going to stick with digging, smelting, and repeating until I can get smithing skill up to 100. I'm at the doorstep of the earth temple on day 70, so I have some time to spare, I think.
vogonpoet
Registered user

Last page view:

4955 days, 15 hours, 15 minutes and 56 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 at 03:35 (GMT -5)

Certainly do. Its not like the game ends on Day 90.
My second (out of two) winner closed the gate on Day 317. No SoCR from Khelly or from wee dwarf guy. No wish. WMoPChood is really only problem for Ultra candidates I guess...or PCs who walk naked into corrupting monsters and tickle them for some reason.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 10/16/2007 at 03:37 (GMT -5) by vogonpoet]
Portrait
GiantFrog
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 at 13:15 (GMT -5)

Wow, day 317 - and without a big pile of SoCRs. I'm impressed. I'm thinking birthsign unicorn.

I'm personally a little pathological about corruptions. I hate them and if I have more than 1 or 2 I start to freak out. Too many times have I been screwed in the most unexpected ways by even the seemingly benign ones.
psy_wombats
Registered user
Untitled

Last page view:

5335 days, 5 hours, 41 minutes and 36 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 at 15:08 (GMT -5)

On my win I managed to get four corruptions from a fire-being vault on D:47. Took a long time for my level 27, but I ended at level 40. Oddly enough, I used a SoCR once, to get rid of poison hands so I could wear gauntlets of strength. Weirdly enough, I never used one after that, even though I finished with ~11 corruptions.
WHEN WOMBATS STRIKE!
Enjoy your last days...
vogonpoet
Registered user

Last page view:

4955 days, 15 hours, 15 minutes and 56 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 at 02:27 (GMT -5)

Twas a random Salamander-born trollish merchant, who found just one pair of 7LBs, at the gate of the mana temple, having (for some daft reason) refused until day 250+ to just let Khelly die. I had crazy dreams about reaching level 45. Didnt get crowned until after gate was closed either. He was one butt-ugly PC mind...
Jhonka
Registered user
Kickass player

Last page view:

5355 days, 7 hours, 44 minutes and 56 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 at 05:44 (GMT -5)

a good way to find rods is being cursed/doomed(crown of science!) and whooping enemies in levels 40-50 in infinite dungeon. The amount of rods dropped there is kinda low, but after an hour(real time) you should have atleast a few!
Atleast once i've had to clear maze, bugcave, ToEf, darkforge, high kings and still didn't find any rods and after getting into infinite dungeon i came out with 3 of them(plus several pairs of 7lg boots and a couple sorcs). its just hilarius to find the most sought after items just laying around :D
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4238 days, 7 hours, 45 minutes and 12 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 at 08:00 (GMT -5)

Jesus, an hour of real time for a RoDS? I'd never waste that - a wish simply isn't worth spending a real time hour slogging away as powerful monsters and traps lay waste to any equipment I have. Ring-dipping can get you quite a good number of RoDSes if you're lucky, and gremlin-scumming (a dirty tactic I've never dared touch) is much better in terms of real time gains.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: