Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / How hard will the Cat Lord be.

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 2 pages long.
Go to page 1 2
Jules
Registered user

Last page view:

4764 days, 11 hours, 19 minutes and 33 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 at 11:52 (GMT -5)

Due to how long I've spent finding an AOLS, I've slaughtered quite a few cats, 43 at current count.
How difficult will the cat lord be now.
Also does the experience gained by killing him go up in accordance to the number of cats you have killed?
Personally I fancy my chances, DE Wizard, lvl 29, excellent ball spells, Wi 48. Speed 145.
Still planning on getting more experience first, and then hitting him.
Personally I think that he is the only blocker for an ULE, so caution says avoid him (up and down staircases are in adjacent rooms, and he is nowhere in sight), but caution isnt really my thing
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4233 days, 58 minutes and 36 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 at 12:13 (GMT -5)

He will be very difficult indeed. Best advice to to keep the hell away from him. However, you can do that and kill him at the same time :) Make a large circular area to run around, and fill it with webs. Always keep at least 6 spaces away from him. The webs won't always slow him down, and he'll be faster than you even with SLBs. Best ways to damage him are high range ball spells (with boosted willpower - you could use improved fireball or crystals of fire, but be sure to only use them at very long range since they'll burn webs away) or arrows of slaying/humanoid slaying. Wands of paralysis and poison are also extremely useful against him. Do not at any point underestimate him - he's probably tougher than Andy would be in terms of attacking ability,

You might get huge amounts of experience from him. However, you could get just 1 point - if he becomes too powerful then the integer wraps round (this is the case for Andy). However, I think this only happens aroun 300 cat kills...
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Portrait
**cHAoTicChaOs**
Registered user
Chaotic Awesome

Last page view:

5981 days, 19 hours, 14 minutes and 11 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 at 16:14 (GMT -5)

Just wait untill he critically hits you eight times in a row :p

You could lock him in a corridor then Big Ball him from the other side?
.vultuous.
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5657 days, 19 hours, 52 minutes and 56 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 at 17:32 (GMT -5)

I'm not sure, but I'd guess he'd smash the door.
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Jules
Registered user

Last page view:

4764 days, 11 hours, 19 minutes and 33 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 at 04:15 (GMT -5)

Hmm, just had a great plan, involved teleportation.
Now going to plan B, avoid him and hope he goes away.
h
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 at 07:57 (GMT -5)

Really? +1xp for Andy is because of a bug?
I don't believe that. Can anyone confirm it?
Sulangatori
Registered user
Tourist

Last page view:

1435 days, 6 hours, 23 minutes and 24 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 at 20:31 (GMT -5)

If mr. Grey says so, it's true.
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4233 days, 58 minutes and 36 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 at 22:49 (GMT -5)

Haha, don't put that much confidence in me. However it is well-known that if a monster gives too much experience the integer will wrap round and only give you 1 xp (the cat lord being the most observable example of this). Andy, the most powerful creature in the game, gives only 1 xp. I'm not sure if it has been 100% verified, but it is at the very least well-believed that the reason he gives this amount is the same as that for an over-powered kitty king. There are lots of similar integer wrap-round bugs in the game (piety overflow, monster speed with moloch armour, etc).
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Portrait
**cHAoTicChaOs**
Registered user
Chaotic Awesome

Last page view:

5981 days, 19 hours, 14 minutes and 11 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 at 23:44 (GMT -5)

True True, Andy gives very little xp indeed-
Example of this, the level one hurthling bard that became an Ultimate(?) Chaos God
.vultuous.
Lost_one
Registered user
unregistered user

Last page view:

5915 days, 1 hour, 2 minutes and 16 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, October 28, 2007 at 01:36 (GMT -5)

more than that, she only had 1 xp and 1 monster killed.

but....I wonder exactly HOW many cats you need to kill to make the cat lord ~= in difficulty to andy.
"I have opinions -STRONG opinions- that sometimes, I don't agree with"

---Prez. George W. Bush
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4062 days, 1 hour, 40 minutes and 46 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, October 28, 2007 at 05:09 (GMT -5)

That level one hurthling bard had more than one XP, though, because you get XP if you sacrifice monsters. Very few, though.

And while the cat lord may be able to hit as hard as Andor Drakon depending on the number of cats you killed, any number of cats you killed doesn't make the level he resides on heavily corrupting, and your spells will never make him faster.

Usually, integer overflow leads to negative values, not a value of 1. I think Andy gives only 1 XP because regardless of what you do with him, the game is over when he is killed.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 10/28/2007 at 05:09 (GMT -5) by Silfir]
h
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, October 28, 2007 at 09:23 (GMT -5)

Yep, I also think it's impossible - even if it is an unsigned int, why would it always wrap around to exactly 1?
Maybe the +1xp is for similar reason as his description in monster memory - "this creature defies all attempts to describe it".

And by the way, I consider Andor Drakon much easier opponent than the Cat Lord. He may be stronger, but at that point in relation to the player he is quite weak. You just walk to him and whack him with TotRR until he dies.
(Granted, you have make sure you have paralysis resistance, confusion resistance and source of light. I died from corruption once when he confused me and I couldn't read my SoCRs while being already extremely corrupted...)

I killed Cat Lord once by digging a passage near to his position in the corridor, and then Acid Balling through the wall. Then he panicked and escaped, so I finished him with humanoid slaying ammo.
F50
Registered user

Last page view:

5469 days, 16 hours, 24 minutes and 4 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 at 18:08 (GMT -5)

Both Andy and Kitty Lord are very, very easy. Much more easy than your regular Great Wyrm or Ancient Chaos Wyrm or Greater Moloch.

All that is needed is: A wand of paralysis and some means of dealing out a decent amount of damage (usually melee weapon). You also need some means of resisting the characteristic attacks of the monster depending on what it is. For Andy you need the TotRR and paralysis and light and likely SoCRs. For the cat lord SLB would be wise. For the Ancient Chaos Wyrm I *suggest* good fire resistance.
"If the bread weights that much in the draklor chain, then it's no wonder so many die of starvation.
AND - what kind of IRON RATION weights as much as an iron shield?! A dinner for four, oven included? ;)"

-Maelstrom
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

4062 days, 1 hour, 40 minutes and 46 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 at 19:31 (GMT -5)

Every opponent is "easy" if you know exactly how to fight them and have the tools to do it.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
F50
Registered user

Last page view:

5469 days, 16 hours, 24 minutes and 4 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2007 at 00:06 (GMT -5)

But the tools required are very small in most single-monster battles. But if most uniques were resistant to paralysis, the one-trick fits all remedy things would be a lot harder.

This is why undead graveyards and darkforge are so much harder than the ancient chaos wyrm, you don't have enough supplies to use on all, or even most of them.

For the most part I was just giving an answer the original question "How difficult will the cat lord be now.(sic)".

In other words, "Not very."
"If the bread weights that much in the draklor chain, then it's no wonder so many die of starvation.
AND - what kind of IRON RATION weights as much as an iron shield?! A dinner for four, oven included? ;)"

-Maelstrom
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

4062 days, 1 hour, 40 minutes and 47 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2007 at 06:32 (GMT -5)

He never said that he even had a wand of paralyzation. ;)

I also tend to not be very scared about that guy anymore when I have the wand, I'll grant you that.

And I know about a certain archer of mine who DID have enough construct slaying ammunition for Darkforge.

The most dangerous thing in the game still is an undead greater vault. With a non-spellcaster it's practically impossible, simply because all the master liches, lich kings and emperor liches summon, summon, summon - you're more likely to die of old age than kill them all!
ADOM Lover
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2007 at 09:49 (GMT -5)

The Cat Lord is damn tough, for a strictly melee fighter. I took my UBER High Elf Beastfighter with his Speed:152, DV/PV: 47/45, and Health 356.

Crag FemBegg St:36 Le:23 Wi:28 Dx:16 To:33 Ch:17 Ap:15 Ma:15 Pe:31 N-
DV/PV: 47/45 H: -6(356) P: 68(90) Exp: 21/1162797 D: 36 Sp: 152
Blessed

I killed ONE cat and the Cat Lord destroyed me. Well.. he was "critical", but when he critical hit me 4 times in a row.. it was all over. My advice... if you kill a cat, stay away from the Cat Lord.
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3110 days, 20 hours, 27 minutes and 49 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2007 at 09:57 (GMT -5)

That's not Uber, that's medicore at the cat lord level.

Your DV is about one half of what it's supposed to be and your Strenght is just too low (it should be in the high 40's at that point). My last beastfighter (Dark Elf) killed him on level 22 (had about 10 cats killed at that point), with no problems. And he didn't have see invisible, so I had to guess where the cat lord is.

Webs, stunning, paralyzing, and the cat lord is dead. - In that order, since stunning seems to be easier, and it's a lot less frustrating if he deflects your paralyzing beams when he's not flailing at you.
A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 11/3/2007 at 09:58 (GMT -5) by Maelstrom]
Jules
Registered user

Last page view:

4764 days, 11 hours, 19 minutes and 34 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2007 at 16:25 (GMT -5)

I'm still avoiding the Cat Lord, might be tempted to get the experience though.
My stats
St 37, WI 50, DV 131 HP 555, PP 725, lvl 39.
I might try to get web spell higher.
Still think its a bit of a gamble fighting him, will wait until I've had another beer, then give it a go.
F50
Registered user

Last page view:

5469 days, 16 hours, 24 minutes and 5 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2007 at 20:24 (GMT -5)

What's your PV?

If its greater than 40 I can't see you having any problems whatsoever. 30 is enough. 10 if you have the correct wand or a large-ish supply of humanoid-slaying ammo. SLB and better-than normal speed is very nice if you need to run even if you can use web.

Personally, I've never been without paralyzing capabilities at this stage.

"Its a lot less frustrating if he deflects your paralyzing beams when he's not flailing at you." Hilarious.

While I agree that Adom Lover has half the DV he needs, he is a little (5-10) ahead on PV compared to what my winning char was at and had about the same amount of strength (and Adom Lover is quite a bit faster).

-Maelstrom

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 11/3/2007 at 20:25 (GMT -5) by F50]
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 at 05:00 (GMT -5)

PV doesn't matter much against the cat lord, true. At any rate, you're pretty much ready to roll.

High DV is helpful, but not even that much necessary. If you play the cat lord level smart, you will be able to lure him to another level and teleport away pretty quick, in coward mode of course.

Then it's humanoid slaying ammo, paralyzation beams, potions of confusion or blindness, stunning and whatever mean tricks you have up your sleeve, just DON'T GO INTO MELEE.
Jules
Registered user

Last page view:

4764 days, 11 hours, 19 minutes and 34 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 at 11:19 (GMT -5)

What a wimp. Damn quick, but easy to kill.
Hit him with bolt spells from a distance, he didnt even know I was there. When he ran, I followed, got him to chase me off the level. He got scared again, then I ball spelled him to death.
Only got two levels from it though, still, its saved me some time.
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 at 11:43 (GMT -5)

I'd yell out "told'ya", but I didn't, so I'll just say good job.

Every enemy in the game is overrated.
Monsters don't kill people, the lack of preparations and the RNG do. ;)
A realist sees a train.
Sulangatori
Registered user
Tourist

Last page view:

1435 days, 6 hours, 23 minutes and 25 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 at 14:42 (GMT -5)

Monsters kill people.
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 at 15:13 (GMT -5)

By definition.
h
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 at 15:44 (GMT -5)

Monsters can be killed, the only inevitable thing is corruption.
And death of Khelevaster. I hate Khelevaster, always forcing me to farm for AoLS.
ADOM Lover
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 at 18:46 (GMT -5)

Malelstrom,

You're right.. he wasn't UBER... but IMHO he was tough. I have no clue how you guys get stats as high as you say.

Look at Jules stats:
St 37, WI 50, DV 131 HP 555, PP 725, lvl 39. Thats unbelievable to me to have 725pp, 131DV and 555 HP! Wow! I've never had stats like that! Nice work Jules!

Good advice on the wands (i.e. stunning/webbing/paralyzing). I can't recall exactly why I died...

probably STUPIDITY!! LOL

Appreciate all the help/suggestions you guys give in the forums! :)
Portrait
Torn Gauntlet
Registered user
Ultima

Last page view:

5975 days, 2 hours, 38 minutes and 13 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 at 11:35 (GMT -5)

Blind him.
got 1 million xp off him.
hes too fast otherwise
(Ultima eats you alive)
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 at 12:29 (GMT -5)

The DV he states is on Coward.
He should get ~30 from a good shield alone, another 10 or so from a spear.
HP is the work of stats alone - St, Wi and To all gain you hit points.

Stats - the apish corruption gets you as high St and To as you want. Also, ogre/giant corpses with a ring of weakness for St.

The scales and thorns corruption lower your Dx by 11. Use moss of morelion to get it up to 40s. If you're a halfling, boots lower it down even more, a Dx of 43 is quite possible with herbs only.

Potions of <Stat> and PoGAs are to be saved after all your stat increases are done - that should give you an avarage of 40 in the important statistics.

The fire orb gives a +10 St and is the only thing worthy of the tool slot (water orb for spellcasting ball spells).
A realist sees a train.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 11/13/2007 at 12:31 (GMT -5) by Maelstrom]
F50
Registered user

Last page view:

5469 days, 16 hours, 24 minutes and 5 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 at 16:33 (GMT -5)

What exactly will blindness and deafness do to monsters when you toss potions of them at monsters?

-Maelstrom
Go to page 1 2

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: