Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Extreme tactics

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Jhonka
Registered user
Kickass player

Last page view:

5350 days, 14 hours, 3 minutes and 14 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2007 at 05:31 (GMT -5)

Ok, i did not see this thread here, so how about sharing some tactics for making ridiculously strong characters. Not cheating just exploiting everything possible:D.

First i'd say that the solution for changing alignment to L+ at high levels(32-50) is dual rings of doom + something else that lowers pv and whip of slaughtering. Simple fast and reliable.

Start with raven sign! Whenever you get hold of wand of teleportation go to the water dragon cave. You only need to survive for 5 steps so health is not that important nor is swimming. The srsrsrxrxrrsrs-whatever lies 37 paces from the steps, so teleport self to 36 paces, talk to dragon, teleport back, exit talk to blub and voilą youll have one of the greatest weapons before youre lvl 17!!! The beauty of the raven starsign.

Second thing that is a bit kinkier, is clearing the bug cave. This is done fairly easily even with lvl 16 character. All you need is lots and lots of arrows and seven league boots and food preservation at 100!!. the idea is to eat each and every killer bug and greater claw bug corpse that gets generated. Your speed will go up to ~180 and your dexterity will be 43 no more no less. The down side is that your wisdom will be 1, but this is no problem 'cause youll be shooting like 10 arrows before even the fastest enemies move! A nice plus is that your missile skill will be at lvl 12-13. The source of the missiles are rowing barbarian groups in the wilderness. This does mean that you'll be using a bow because missiles are so easy to find.

One more, training missile is really fast in the small cave(northwest from village) exactly at level 30 the enemies arent too strong and every hit delivers 6-20 marks. Again lots of arrows are needed. The 20 mark hits are superjackals and strong spiders. This is actually the only way i've managed to exploit the jackal bug.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 11/17/2007 at 09:08 (GMT -5) by Jhonka]
Portrait
**cHAoTicChaOs**
Registered user
Chaotic Awesome

Last page view:

5982 days, 8 hours, 19 minutes and 5 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2007 at 10:26 (GMT -5)

candle born, human barbarian>
@-Hello

s/he starts with good stats (lowest charisma and mana of course, but int can usually be 14+)
@-Im a contender!
also starts with an amulet of luck (real handy), and also a two handed sword - damaging! and double damage strikes at lvl 6! (his dex is good as well, bonus to dv), Find weakness not really an issue, can be solved several ways though. You will heal real fast - keep the two hander! two of your crowning gifts are two handers (but train up your clubs and shields as well to be safe)

@-Dude your rambling

Ha ha, anyway - I rarely train bows or crossbows that high - maybe level five tops? With tremendous blow and the right weapon all those corrupting types, golems of all kinds, powerful undead, even greater molochs can be taken out in one hit, and a level 50 barbarian has the hit points to take it all.

@- I am mighty!! and powerful!

They are also fleet of foot (level 12) and get extra hit points, strength and toughness, bonus damage to true berserking (with RoSlaying,DamageGauntlets,a select few corruptions, and talents...it all adds up big)

@- They call me One Hit, cause thats all i need

Ok theres always more, but im tired and im going to bed :p

@- I never sleep

edit - Oh and they start with herbalism, which is nice, and mine seem to always find ? and " shops, " shops are useless, at best you get the right !wonder and book combo.. at worst the BlackTome screwing up a precrowning.
? shops can be handy when you learn to read - ?defense and protection on sertain items can boost your pv/dv while True Beserking.

ok good night for real.

@-Argh! Night Cobras!!
.vultuous.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 11/17/2007 at 10:37 (GMT -5) by **cHAoTicChaOs**]
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4233 days, 14 hours, 3 minutes and 30 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2007 at 11:15 (GMT -5)

Another tactic for changing to L+ is getting a pet poisoned or sick and keep using a heal spell on it. Gets you up to L+ mighty fast (though it's best to get to N by using a grey altar first).

Smithing is very handy for creating amazingly powerful characters. You can get plenty of ore by mining every non-corrupting level (stop monster generation by locking a breeder in a decent sized room). Make Dwarftown non-corrupting with a scroll of peace and get rid of the smith there, then spend ages buffing up all your gear. You can get DV/PV to over 200/100 with enough effort.

Train up bows as high as you can and get the Quick Shot and Lightning Shot talents, as well as all the good missile talents (eagle-eyed etc). You'll easily get 4 or 5 shots in to every monster attack for very high damage. Couple this with tactical use of seven league boots and monsters can never touch you. All the big boss monsters (kitty king, Andy, Keriax, AKW, Archmage, etc) are best taken out with blessed slaying ammo. If a monster's up close you can still have high to hit/damage with missiles on Coward, and still gain missile marks, so a great way to tank is to use two good shields and shoot everything on Coward. Shields marks are well worth training high as well - spider factories are by far the best thing for this, since a tarantula can give you a total of 32 marks (though this is split between shields and weapons, so it's best to kill them off with spells or missiles when they stop giving you shield marks).

Burning Hands and Dispel Undead are two of the most damaging spells in the game. If you're a priest you'll find an absolute tonne of these spellbooks, so it's a good idea to keep training them up as they benefit well from high effectivity. Another spell to train up high is Cure Light Wounds - again priests will find loads of this spell, and at high effectivity you'll be getting 20/30 HP for 2 PP. Handier than spenseweed I'd say. You can train it up easy by making yourself sick and keep healing.

Mana is easy to train - just use up all your PP with spells. Spells like Bless aren't so good because they use little PP (apart from in the early game). Book-casting Teleportation will get your Mana soaring though. Petrification and Create Item and such can soak up your PP quickly too, so are good to blow when you're sitting on full PP.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

4593 days, 4 hours, 8 minutes and 44 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2007 at 15:26 (GMT -5)

Apish corruption can get your strength and toughness to 99 I'm hearing. Another way to get strength up that high is to find a ring of weakness, a ring of doom, a blessed climbing set, and have food preservation. Dump all your items off somewhere safe nearby, walk around in the mountains until you find a hunting party of stone giants (fomorian giants and ogre war parties will work too). Kill them all, gather the corpses in a pile, put on the ring of weakness, munch corpses for str gain. Then bless ring, remove it, and repeat. Be careful about how much weight you carry, putting the ring of weakness on can cause you to get the "Crushed by luggage" death.

Killer bugs can get your dex to 43 and speed to 180 I'm hearing. Crystals of Knowledge can get your learning to 30 if you find enough.
"As for me, I feel priveleged to be among the only species able to make scientific inquiries." -unknown

"Be sure to keep your distance if you don't have resistance." -DG
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

4891 days, 16 hours, 20 minutes and 26 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2007 at 16:26 (GMT -5)

>Second thing that is a bit kinkier,
>is clearing the bug cave. This is done

Do you mean BUGCAV or BUGWIL? BUGWIL I
agree with. If you mean BUGCAV, how do
you solve the problem of a dozen or so
GB's swarming you as soon as you descend
the staircase? I've not been able to
reliably solve that one even with acid ball.

>The down side is that your wisdom will be 1,

Willpower will be 1 :)
Easily fixed with morgia I agree.

DEX=43 is if you employ sickness + starvation
I think, otherwise DEX=27. In ADOM100 DEX goes
to 99!

Clearing BUGCAV doesn't mean you have to stop
generating bugs. As long as you don't break
2 statues you can kill as long as you like.
The statue of 'unquestionaly famous hero' in
the middle, and the top statue in the room
directly to the left. Those are the only 2
that generate the message 'no more itching
no more crawling, very satisfying.'

Mr. Grey already pointed out the usefulness
of waiting to raid Darkforge until later in
the game, because of weapon and armour pre
and suffixes. I still like to do it in the
early game though, using the TP method. Just
line the cusor up with the : in your willpower
attribute then move it up 4 space and TP, that
puts you in the weapon room. TP again, lining
the cursor up with the : in the charisma stat,
move the cursor up until it's on the same
horizontal line as the entry staircase, this
is the armour room. You'll need 5 TP's to get
in and out, unless you are more creative than
me. :)

Put me in the 'fool filter', where I belong!
Jhonka
Registered user
Kickass player

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2007 at 18:43 (GMT -5)

the bug cave thing is just running up and down the stairs. i've actually never had myself killed at the bug cave even though my characters are usually less than lvl20 when entering. what is even more interesting is that i usually kill ancient chaos wyrm with willpower at 1 ;D
for increasing wi i prefer garth. Some 20k gold and a little wait is just so much easier

can a bundle of -pos- rings be polymorphed into rings of djinni summoning with exhange potion(i'd say that 19 rods' would be an overkill even for a cheater)?
eating the oracle yields a permanent +6 to le plus char gets cursed and doomed.

getting the minotaur axe should be somewhat easy after the bugcav. though in worst case 14 magic mapping scrolls are needed.
Jhonka
Registered user
Kickass player

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2007 at 18:47 (GMT -5)

oh and pp is easiest to get rid of with potion of caladriel.
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2007 at 22:53 (GMT -5)

>the bug cave thing is just running up and down the stairs.

I just tried that again with a low level
spellcaster. Entered at level 1, was 12
upon descending staircase. 5 GB's followed
me upward, then shredded me. I think that
BUGCAV is just off limits to low level
spellcasters, more advanced PC's would
fair better though.

> can a bundle of -pos- rings be polymorphed into rings of djinni summoning

Yeah. Just do a search for 'wish engine'
and you'll get some info on that.

Z
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 at 11:48 (GMT -5)

What's the use for the rings of doom to change to L+? Aren't rings of regeneration better for this?
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5658 days, 8 hours, 57 minutes and 50 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 at 12:07 (GMT -5)

Rings of doom lower your PV, so you can hurt yourself easier when using the whip, which gives a bigger alignment boost. A ring of doom gives -6 PV and -6 DV as well.
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
noob
Registered user

Last page view:

5922 days, 17 hours, 15 minutes and 46 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 at 05:33 (GMT -5)

about tactics:
I think ball spells hit enemies even behind walls and doors (new use for door creation ;) ). Was freezing the fishlake with ice ball (to make sure i wouldn't stagger from the ice path) - when i opened the door the skeleking was already seriously wounded and panicking (took one single bowshot to finish him off). More testing probably necessary...
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 at 06:05 (GMT -5)

Ball spells do hit enemies, even through
walls and doors. The problem is, the
monsters that you would most like to keep
behind locked doors, while you blast them,
have a way of crashing through them. Greater molochs, ACW etc...

If you are confused by monsters, you don't
have to stumble around, you can just use a
command like 'E' to clean your ears or
something like that.
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 at 14:25 (GMT -5)

A fairly common tactic to fell Nuurg-Vaarn is to get him between 2 locked doors and keep acid balling him till you see a big increase in xp. I prefer to take him head on myself though :)
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5135 days, 19 hours, 57 minutes and 53 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 at 19:56 (GMT -5)

This is how I would clear a greater undead vault:
Leave the inner chamber unopened (do not search out hidden walls), and then make willpower high. It can usually get high enough just by items and natural stat, but this is a good time to use potions of boost willpower. Then just ball spell until all emperor liches are dead. PP recharging might be needed.
Jhonka
Registered user
Kickass player

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 at 10:40 (GMT -5)

Nuurag-Vaarn is third easiest to kill of all bosses. He displaces the enemies and is fastest enemy found there. So when you spot him, just run away through the trap corridor, and he'll follow . By the time the exit is reached nuraag- should be alone in the middle of the long corridor. He is then dispached rather easily with mindcraft, balls, bows/crossbows(slaying ammo, preferably). At this point the character is usually a walking tank, so single enemies aren't that much of a threat.
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3111 days, 9 hours, 32 minutes and 42 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 at 11:13 (GMT -5)

There are bosses harder then Nuurag-Vaarn? Which ones, may I ask?
All those that I have encountered were a nuisance, up to Nuurag, which is just more annoying then all of them, because he requires a light source, DR resistance and has chaos wizards, which keep the cannon fodder coming.
A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.
Z
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2007 at 07:13 (GMT -5)

OK, I did not know that about the PV penalty. What I did is collecting armor items which give negative PV (i.e. collecting all junk like clothes etc. thorough the adventure and then identifying them and keeping bad stuff), and then wear them together with rings of regeneration and other regeneration stuff available. To bring yourself to L+ most quickly you need a good combination of -PV and regeneration.
Gonzo
Registered user
doctor of journalism

Last page view:

5936 days, 20 hours, 27 minutes and 47 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, November 24, 2007 at 10:43 (GMT -5)

If you have gemology and guaranteed source of invisibility (e.g. from items or intrinsic from pool) it may be worthwhile to hang around on a level with ants generated while being careful not to engage them. They will dig out the entire level for you, usually yielding several crystals of knowledge and other valuable gems. You can apply the same to dwarves, ankhegs and other level-digging monsters, but I recommend ants due to their sheer number and efficiency.
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4062 days, 14 hours, 45 minutes and 40 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 at 09:18 (GMT -5)

Druid with Gemology is the best method for that ;)
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
noob
Registered user

Last page view:

5922 days, 17 hours, 15 minutes and 46 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 at 14:40 (GMT -5)

Here is some really extreme tactic idea for very early game (didn't try it yet though): If you find a corruption trap instead of avoiding it get yourself corrupted until the effects kick in (or create a corruption trap if you start out with \ of trapcreation). You could get screwed by poison hands or something spoiling playing fun early, but you could also hit some neat effect like being nimble. Losing a character right at the beginning doesn't hurt that much and some lucky mutation (like extra dv or pv) may have significant impact on surviveability of a low-level character...

What do you think?
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4062 days, 14 hours, 45 minutes and 40 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 at 14:46 (GMT -5)

The probability for the effect to be a negative or worthless one is probably higher than the probability to get a helpful one, so no.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
rmcin329
Registered user

Last page view:

5210 days, 2 hours, 49 minutes and 15 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 at 15:11 (GMT -5)

speaking of using ball spells to kill monsters through walls/doors......can Andor break down doors? Or could you just use a couple of wands of door creation, then ball away? Don't care if he can open them, magic lock spell is an easy solution for that.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/12/2008 at 15:12 (GMT -5) by rmcin329]
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 at 16:00 (GMT -5)

I'm fairly sure he'd be able to break down doors. From all the other unique things about him it seems that TB put a lot of effort into making sure you couldn't use cheap tactics against him.
Portrait
zv
Registered user

Last page view:

5654 days, 14 hours, 18 minutes and 51 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 at 17:46 (GMT -5)

I think that Andor's shifting palace would just swallow the doors given a few turns.

As for cheap tactics against Andy, there is one - \oParalyzation.
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 at 17:49 (GMT -5)

There is a gauranteed corruption trap in the
pyramid. If I play a character that can win
quickly (thus, not needing all chaos resistance
scrolls/potions to get me through to the end),
I will sometimes use the corruption trap to
try for possitive corruptions. I count any
WI, DE or TO decreasing corruptions as possitive,
because they can be countered with herbs. Then
cleanse the corruption for a net increase.
Jhonka
Registered user
Kickass player

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 at 16:44 (GMT -5)

A few things to speed up the game(a *lot*).

I usually do the bug wil/cav thing as early as possible, because of the mapping scrolls found in bug cav. With some doors the cave gets a lot easier, since only the big room needs to be emptied. This leads to fairly easy access to cow axe(i'd rate it the second best weapon in the game, best for assassins!)

Fast leveling is done with cow axe + lots and lots of dead eternal guardians. If i remember correctly eternal guardians give roughly 2 levels per kill untill lvl 32-35(race dependent) and .5 lvl per kill for 32-38.

After that you should be able to kill guards and shopkeeper in gift shoppe, only keeper is able to use missiles, but the rest can paralyze. Remember potions of blindness and especially cursed potions of invisibility.. When gift shoppe is emptied the char should have 45-50 lvl. this leads to fast access to twins(greatest weapon(s) avaible) and totrr(also good but harder to get, uninspiring to-hit and no extra critical hits, thus 3rd best weapon even though it deals greatest amounts of damage).

I usually do this leveling with crown of science since more experience gained, but the char needs to be quite buffed up or it will die remarkably fast!

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: