Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Of visibillity and Moonsickle

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

F50
Registered user

Last page view:

5469 days, 8 hours, 57 minutes and 15 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, November 24, 2007 at 14:58 (GMT -5)

Where in Anarcadia do I find a potion of visibillity (or several) and the artifact Moonsickle?! I have everything else I need to go chaotic, get the medal of chaos, and crown lawful, except a PoCC (need snake corpse yet), and two more artifacts (I could give away the emerald dagger or the Ankh but I really don't want to).

Does a potion of visibility work better cursed or blessed?
"If the bread weights that much in the draklor chain, then it's no wonder so many die of starvation.
AND - what kind of IRON RATION weights as much as an iron shield?! A dinner for four, oven included? ;)"

-Maelstrom
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3110 days, 13 hours and 59 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, November 24, 2007 at 15:05 (GMT -5)

Why would you need the moonsickle?
It's generated semi-randomly somewhere around D:12-16. Sometimes it's just below dwarftown, and sometimes it's under the graveyard.
It's always guarded by a stone golem, which never picks it up. A black weapon.

Other then potion shops, I can't recall finding potions of visibility in any amounts. In my games it seems that it's as rare as amulets of life saving.

[EDIT]Ok, disregard that first question, ratling fodder it should be :)
A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 11/24/2007 at 15:36 (GMT -5) by Maelstrom]
Jhonka
Registered user
Kickass player

Last page view:

5349 days, 17 hours, 31 minutes and 31 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, November 24, 2007 at 15:46 (GMT -5)

ratling fodder:
elemental gauntlets, big punch, mummy wrapping, sword of nonnak, phial, torc/anch/scythe/rolf savior and companion, potion of literacy, some say crown of science (i personally disagree..)

dwarven mystic gives either 4 blessed scrolls of chaos resistance or a lame ass axe, so the rolfs companion doesn't really belong to the list, since it's "unobtainable".
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3110 days, 13 hours and 59 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, November 24, 2007 at 16:38 (GMT -5)

Crown of science over !oLiteracy and the ankh.
The crown dooms. It's not worth wearing, you never know when the dooming kills you.
And the mistic also gives potions. I usually get those...
A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.
F50
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, November 24, 2007 at 16:40 (GMT -5)

Forgot about giving away my gauntlets... Crown of Science should save an artifact too. Don't have access to torc. Potion of visibillity was in order to get Big Punch and Tactics. Forgot about digging up the sword of Nonnak though. Thanks Jhonka.

By the way, why on Anarcadia would you want to keep the *dooming* crown of science???

I made a point of getting Rolf's Axe in order to give it away. Since I've heard the SoCR's are given more to N- folks, I didn't bother trying to get them.
"If the bread weights that much in the draklor chain, then it's no wonder so many die of starvation.
AND - what kind of IRON RATION weights as much as an iron shield?! A dinner for four, oven included? ;)"

-Maelstrom

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 11/24/2007 at 16:43 (GMT -5) by F50]
noob
Registered user

Last page view:

5921 days, 20 hours, 44 minutes and 3 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, November 24, 2007 at 17:28 (GMT -5)

The Crown is quite good actually. +Le is neat for book reading and during leveling (more skills). Also immunity is useful for ToeF. You don't have to wear it all the time... Also you can provoke more wilderness encounters (black dragons for gold doubling for example ;) )
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

4890 days, 19 hours, 48 minutes and 43 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, November 24, 2007 at 23:23 (GMT -5)

I think I might be a little late to this
discussion, but anyway...If you have the
Alchemy skill, I think ! of visibility
might be one of your 'R'ecipes.

If you still can't find visibility for
big punch there is always the cow axe,
and maybe even the RotHK.

Put me in the 'fool filter', where I belong!
F50
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, November 24, 2007 at 23:51 (GMT -5)

! visibility is now solely for tactics as I will acquire the sword of nonnak and the crown of science for ratling fodder.

-Maelstrom
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

4890 days, 19 hours, 48 minutes and 43 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, November 25, 2007 at 00:46 (GMT -5)

I like how you call it anarcadia, it
makes it sound like its full of anarchy!
A fitting description.

I don't think there is a quick way to
generate a ! of visibility though.
If you haven't been to the HMV yet,
Leggot *might* generate one in his shop.
Otherwise ID I guess.

You actualy might not need the Tactics
skill right away. It's nice to have,
but you can beat the game without it.
A ! will come to you in the course of
the game, so I wouldn't spend a lot of
time searching for one.

The gift shop seems to generate them
often, so if you can beat the ACW
you can probably get one there.
Put me in the 'fool filter', where I belong!
Jhonka
Registered user
Kickass player

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, November 25, 2007 at 06:23 (GMT -5)

The reason for crown of science is infact the dooming and cursing. The dooming and cursing increase the change of getting special dungeon levels ie. vaults, greater vaults(=the reason), surge of power, tension rooms etc. As an added bonus, enemies get stronger yielding better items and xp, but backround corruption does not! This is good when looking for djinnis rings in the id.

Though corruption is not actually a problem in adom for ultra ending characters, since there is quaranteed 20 SoCR and 6/7 PoCC, and once cleaning the char completely(though possibility of 9 PoGA instead is *much* more appealing)

The crown should be wielded atleast when entering lower levels of CoC(fire wall) since this seems to be the point when it's determined whether there is going to be a greater vaults or not.

I've ventured 3 times without the crown so that greater vaults weren't generated. I've *never* been left without atleast one if the crown on science was worn.

EDIT: ignore all of the above considering greater vaults, i was wrong. Sorry.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 11/25/2007 at 13:23 (GMT -5) by Jhonka]
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4232 days, 17 hours, 31 minutes and 47 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, November 25, 2007 at 07:59 (GMT -5)

You're wrong on several counts, Jhonka. Greater vaults locations are determined at the start of the game - nothing to do with your character at the time of level generation. There is no empirical proof that curse/doom increases the chance of a lesser vault. Surges of power are more likely with luck - cursing/dooming makes it less likely. Monsters get more powerful but items do not. You will probably be far less likely to find a RoDS when doomed.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Jhonka
Registered user
Kickass player

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, November 25, 2007 at 13:45 (GMT -5)

Statistics, are a b*** if they're not on your side :D. I'd say that items arent based on cursing/dooming, but the strength and level of the enemy.

I've actually tested this a couple times, with and without the crown(in the id 45-55) and the crown seemed to get me more tension rooms and titans/greater titans/greater karmic wyrms etc high class enemies, thus more rods. This was done once with a lucky/fate smiles intrisics and atleast twice without them. With the crown i got more rods than was needed for sorc:s(with a wish 2-4 sorcs for negating the corruptions gained). When i left the id i usually had 2-4 rods and i had wished for sorcs once or twice.

Chaos gate was never opened, it was usually done somewhere between the day 40 and day 50. I spent there approximately 10 days.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 11/25/2007 at 13:49 (GMT -5) by Jhonka]
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, November 25, 2007 at 14:59 (GMT -5)

Well, I won't deny it since there is no real proof. However as long as you realise that items are still very much restricted by danger level. Being doomed can generate very out of depth monsters, but if you aren't deep enough more powerful items will never be generated.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Jhonka
Registered user
Kickass player

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 at 06:00 (GMT -5)

I do remember that, though in id the danger level is 1/8 if the depth. So levels 45-55 should be quite optimal for rods, which are something like lvl8 or something. And it's always fun to find an out of depth balor or greater titan standin on the ladder :D. I've once atually got a tension room full of greater titans, though it might have beeen a bit deeper than 50, because i was going after Sceptre of chaos.
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 at 06:48 (GMT -5)

Danger levels for items are divided by 3 in the ID, so RoDS can be found anywhere on I24 or below. Ideally what you'd want is a threat room of dragons, since they drop plenty of loot, and there's thus more likely to be a precious ring somewhere in there.

Greater titans are danger level 44, so it would have to have been I44 or below. Could happen in the lower CoC theoretically (I know I've had some nasty threat rooms down there myself).

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: