Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Who is more annoying?

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 2 pages long.
Go to page 1 2
F50
Registered user

Last page view:

5474 days, 1 hour, 46 minutes and 13 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, November 24, 2007 at 16:49 (GMT -5)

Who is more annoying? Is it:

Gaab"Baay, with the Boar Skull, Scroll of Danger, Wand of Monster Creation, PoCC, AND farmer corpse she sends you after even though you don't need to do that quest unless you want an ultra?
"If the bread weights that much in the draklor chain, then it's no wonder so many die of starvation.
AND - what kind of IRON RATION weights as much as an iron shield?! A dinner for four, oven included? ;)"

-Maelstrom

Vote yes if Gaab'Baay is most annoying.
Yes  No
Check results

F50
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, November 24, 2007 at 16:51 (GMT -5)

Is it Thrundarr with the infamous random monster quest, Animated forest quest (the cause of many a premature death in the DH), Arena quest (nasty if you are permanently invisible), and Greater daemon quest (reward is decent artifact, but daemon can have nasty stat drain and kill the demented ratling) even though it is never *necessary*?
"If the bread weights that much in the draklor chain, then it's no wonder so many die of starvation.
AND - what kind of IRON RATION weights as much as an iron shield?! A dinner for four, oven included? ;)"

-Maelstrom

Vote yess if Thrundarri s the most annoying
Yes  No
Check results

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 11/24/2007 at 16:56 (GMT -5) by F50]
F50
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, November 24, 2007 at 16:53 (GMT -5)

Or is it Khellevaster the Ancient Sage, who thwarts any attempt to save him short of the rare amulet of life saving even though it is only *necessary* if you want to do an ultra?

-Maelstrom

Vote yes if Khellevaster is the most annoying
Yes  No
Check results

Red October
Registered user

Last page view:

5671 days, 1 hour, 56 minutes and 46 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, November 24, 2007 at 17:27 (GMT -5)

I'd go with Khelevaster because you pretty much need those scrolls... or at least I do. Fortunately I've found a few AoLS naturally by the time I get to him in more than a few of my games. Most recent one had to drink from pools for a wish, though. You can put off Thrundarr and I've never tried for an Ultra so I've never bothered with Gaab'bay.
Battle Bunny: "Ach, maybe his Christian altar was stepped on.
By a moloch."
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3115 days, 5 hours, 49 minutes and 57 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, November 24, 2007 at 17:55 (GMT -5)

Or is it yourself, with your overconfidence, lack of focus and absentmindedness, which makes you read the wrong scroll, drink the wrong potions, zap the wrong wand, attack rather then retreat, hit monsters instead of drinking one of the blessed PoEH in your backpack, forget about slaying ammo and attack stat draining monsters? :P
A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 11/24/2007 at 17:56 (GMT -5) by Maelstrom]
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4237 days, 10 hours, 20 minutes and 45 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, November 24, 2007 at 18:17 (GMT -5)

I find none of those to be all that annoying. All of Gaab'Baay's items are little trouble to find (with the exception perhaps of a scroll of danger, but I usually find a decent number). Khelly always gets his amulet from me courtesy of the DarkForge pools. The dwarven elder has never given me a particularly hard quest, though the monster-hunting one has sometimes been slightly obscure. The Animated Forest/DH has to be transversed anyway, so you can't blame him.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
F50
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, November 24, 2007 at 20:30 (GMT -5)

lucky you...

-Maelstrom
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

4895 days, 12 hours, 37 minutes and 41 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, November 24, 2007 at 22:52 (GMT -5)

That question realy made me think!
I'm a little surprised by my answer,
but among the choices given I would say
Thrundarr, *IF* he gives a rare quest
monster. I often depend on that fireproof
blanket for the tower.

Otherwise Khelevaster, because of the
great items I miss, for not saving him.

Khelly and the old crone don't bother me
too much because I rarely go for ultras
anymore. I take killng Khelly for ganted
most games, and hardly ever even lay
eyes on the old crone.

I'm tempted to vote for myself as most
annoying though. With my last PC I walked
from CoC to ToEF wearing my 7LB's to save
game time, planning to switch to mithril
boots before entering. Whoops...7LB's burnt
to ashes upon entry. Later, that same PC
blasted himself into the after-life, with a
magic missile that bounced a little too much.
Alas, the downside of a good willpower stat.

Put me in the 'fool filter', where I belong!
F50
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, November 24, 2007 at 23:53 (GMT -5)

Self is certainly the worst enemy in this game :P.

-Maelstrom
Rayden
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 at 07:23 (GMT -5)

>With my last PC I walked
>from CoC to ToEF wearing my 7LB's to save
>game time, planning to switch to mithril
>boots before entering. Whoops...7LB's burnt
>to ashes upon entry.

Had the same story yesterday. Except that i FORGOT to switch to metal boots :)
vogonpoet
Registered user

Last page view:

4954 days, 17 hours, 51 minutes and 29 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 at 08:54 (GMT -5)

"Khelly always gets his amulet from me courtesy of the DarkForge pools"

I really don't understand what I am doing wrong in this game... wearing ankh, removing dooming and cursing when need be, making sure to already have fate smiling and luck, I still only get one wish from draining all the pools in DF approx once in every four attempts, tops...
F50
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 at 10:49 (GMT -5)

me too, Darren Grey is just lucky...

-Maelstrom
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 at 02:48 (GMT -5)

Wow... DarkForge *always* gives me at least one wish.

Oh, when it comes to annoying quests, one thing that always bothers me is Kranach. Too often I run out of food (or into jackal packs) trying to find him. Of course that's just an optional quest, but the 3k gold is always handy for buying detect traps.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
F50
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 at 13:12 (GMT -5)

Kranach has never given me a problem as a fighter (starts with decent PV and hp) or a wizard class (able to bolt things away). I could see rangers, assasins, mindcrafters, and thieves having trouble, but not most characters (at least the ones I play).

Food is never a problem for me, Kranach is not always in the same place (check forest, possibly swamp) and I will almost always find him before I run out of gold to buy rations with.

-Maelstrom

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 11/27/2007 at 13:12 (GMT -5) by F50]
vogonpoet
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 at 10:24 (GMT -5)

There you guys go again - I've had characters spend as much as 40 days of game time looking for Kranach. How is that not annoying? A constant prowl from SMC to the river to Holeinthewall, or just hovering a few lines below the SMC it doesn't matter, if I find Kranach in less than 10 days I count myself really lucky.

Khelevaster is still far and away the most annoying. After all, GBs satisfy the demented one hurts, but there is no need to get upset with her at all unless you save the Dying one.
noob
Registered user

Last page view:

5926 days, 13 hours, 33 minutes and 1 second ago.
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 at 18:28 (GMT -5)

T's quests are quite fair and G can be done anytime. K is definately most annoying. Just got him spawnd already dead: no K, no chaos servants - just a bunch cheap ass items on the stairs on CoC 16.

I knew that thunderring explosion I heard didn't bode well...
F50
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 at 18:32 (GMT -5)

oooooh. Hey, it could be worse. You could be carrying an AoLS!

you must be doing something *very* wrong in order not to find Kranach that often. Do you make sure to step on every square of the plains?

Here's what I do:

Step on every square of the plains down to the swamp. Then, step on every other square of the plains up to the SMC. Step on every other square one more time. Make two lines through the forest, one exploring more notherly from the plains by the SMC to the hills, one more southerly from the hills to the lower plains by the swamp. Explore a few swamp squares. repeat. I haven't ever had to wait ten days to find Kranach in a loooooong time.

-Maelstrom

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 12/1/2007 at 18:37 (GMT -5) by F50]
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4066 days, 11 hours, 2 minutes and 55 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 at 12:27 (GMT -5)

Ten days is much too long for me. When I don't go for the UD, I usually want to go for the puppy.

That Kranach is too much hassle for me just to get 3000 gold and a crappy skill.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
vogonpoet
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 at 04:18 (GMT -5)

Thrundarr is really beginning to piss me off.

Last three quests:
Two Lithium attempts (dead), one normal game (in progress):
Trollish Beserker, annis hag, cave tiger.

What ever happened to giant rat, kobald, or maybe just once, mimic?
Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

3597 days, 12 hours, 43 minutes and 12 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 at 04:58 (GMT -5)

I always find Kranach early, by day five at most. He isn't really any trouble with assassins, just poison your daggers and throw them until you hit him once. Dodge missiles (maybe kill some raiders) until he drops dead, and voilá. Khelavastar is a pain in the ass, however. My last char, an extremely powerful trollish priest died because of aging 45 years in DF and finding no wish, then dying in the DH because of a sneaky ghost lord. Yeah, finding an AoLS is tough for me. I have never attempted an ultra so I can't say that the crone is annoying.
For the Horde!
Doalag
Registered user

Last page view:

5848 days, 12 hours, 47 minutes and 32 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 at 15:36 (GMT -5)

All quests are good just because it's a quest. They don't need to bring some bounty. But ok quests where you can be stuck or where you can get nasty things aren't that cool.

EDIT : What is this "crappy skill" Silfir mentioned about the Kranach quest?

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 2/5/2008 at 15:46 (GMT -5) by Doalag]
THC842
Registered user

Last page view:

4484 days, 9 hours, 56 minutes and 45 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 at 16:27 (GMT -5)

LAW, but u have to kill hotzenpoltz (sp?)
Doalag
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 at 17:50 (GMT -5)

Ok thanks, so you have to kill both to get law skill. Well the bandit in town never attack me so... :-)

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 2/5/2008 at 17:50 (GMT -5) by Doalag]
Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

4597 days, 25 minutes and 59 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 at 02:40 (GMT -5)

Kranach seems to be a very random encounter. I just walk in circles in the wilderness between Terinyo and the SMC for a while. It can be all the same squares repeatedly, even a 2 by 2 square, and eventually I encounter him.

SOMETIMES, even though I have the quest and am under level 6, I can't seem to find him for the life of me, and start running out of money for rations.

The Kranach quest is definitely not one you want to pick up right away at level one, as most characters will not survive the encounter at this point. Maybe an archer, or a character with bolt spells, or a melee type with great DV/PV and to hit bonus. I've had some characters meet their fate at the hands of Kranach and his minions.
"As for me, I feel priveleged to be among the only species able to make scientific inquiries." -unknown

"Be sure to keep your distance if you don't have resistance." -DG
vogonpoet
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 at 03:08 (GMT -5)

I always just ask for the quest straight off, to avoid trotting back to Terinyo too often, and hope I don't meet the raiders until my way back from the SMC.

Every now and then a PC dies before even making it to the outlaw village for their first kill. Sometimes a wizard who lucked out with some semi decent starting armor might even survive such an encounter, although I don't really like having raider or kobald as my first kill.

I once made the error of escaping the raiders without killing Kranach at level 1, and then spent game weeks searching for them later at level 5. So now i just run the gauntlet, so to speak.
Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

4597 days, 25 minutes and 59 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2008 at 00:36 (GMT -5)

In the beginning, the 3,000 gold is a large amount. You can improve your gear substantially at the black market or the HMV with it.

And don't forget to (g)ive bandit/raider/outlaw corpses to Tywat for cash. An extra 300 from hauling Kranachs rotten carcass over is a decent bonus too.
"As for me, I feel priveleged to be among the only species able to make scientific inquiries." -unknown

"Be sure to keep your distance if you don't have resistance." -DG
vogonpoet
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2008 at 02:57 (GMT -5)

And it makes buying food at your local friendly retail outlet a lot more enjoyable. Thats what I call attention to detail.
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2008 at 03:17 (GMT -5)

That was actually an RFE someone made that got added to the game in v1.0.0. Certainly a nice touch.
Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

4695 days, 4 hours, 42 minutes and 25 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2008 at 17:27 (GMT -5)

I find the little girl most annoying because I feel guilty unless I save Kenny (the cute little dog) but the darn thing always goes and attackes the toughest monsters!
Doalag
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2008 at 17:30 (GMT -5)

I agree on this one! :-D
Go to page 1 2

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: