Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Help with my first mindcrafter

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
Elraz
Registered user

Last page view:

5093 days, 4 hours, 1 minute and 28 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 at 12:36 (GMT -5)

I`ve just got my second win: this time it was a DE wizard, so after beating the game with a semi - fighter class (first was HE Paladin), I decided to try something else and it seems that mindcrafter might be it. The only problem is that my knowledge on this class is very limted: I only played it for about a day and gave up as soon as I discovered that I am unable to learn any spells.
So, any tips with my new born DE mindcrafter? (I
just cant resist those DE skillset...)
I do know about mindcrafting and about the trick with CB on Yrrigs, but that about it.
My current playstyle is a mixture of basic spellcasting (frost bolts, acid balls, TP and so)
and well fightning ability (also I usually do not train missiles beyond level 7 - 8).
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4233 days, 11 hours, 10 minutes and 15 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 at 12:56 (GMT -5)

With a mindcrafter you really should be playing them mainly as a fighter/archer. They gain weapon marks just as well as any other class, and are extremely reliant on melee and missiles. If you do not typically raise missiles beyond level 7/8 then I would honestly recommend that mindcrafters aren't the class for you, unless you feel like changing your gameplay habits.

Early game you should concentrate on gaining a few levels somewhere safe and finding a decent spear/shield combo. Use confusion on anything too tough and run away whenever necessary. Later on you'll find the mindcraft powers can help out in a pinch, but they operate more as a support than a main attack. In the far late game some of the powers become immensely brilliant, but it's a lot of effort to get them that far.

Also I'd recomend hurthlings or drakelings instead of dark elves. Both are significantly tougher, and thrown rocks or acid spit are a very handy support in the early game. Both also have very nice skills. Gnomes are pretty decent too.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4062 days, 11 hours, 52 minutes and 25 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 at 13:43 (GMT -5)

Race choice is definitely seconded. Trolls might be better for early game survival, but their experience penalty makes trollish mindcrafters always-underpowered.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Portrait
Elraz
Registered user

Last page view:

5093 days, 4 hours, 1 minute and 28 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 at 15:49 (GMT -5)

THIS IS NO FUN!
I manged to start a good one, killed an outlow first, went to SMC, found stairs and blanket, killed rider lord with my wand of acid, became N with an alter i found VD 4, saved carpenter and manged to precrown only to get... well, I guess you know what! the F***ing black book of what his name!!! with blind rage I exit before I even got a grip on myself. I don`t believe that after more then a year with ADOM I`m still loosing my mind like this.
Oh well, after all, tomorrow is another game...
F50
Registered user

Last page view:

5470 days, 2 hours, 35 minutes and 43 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 at 16:34 (GMT -5)

ouch. I have turned back to barbarians after having little success with wizards (had better luck with elementalists). It takes too long to melee something to death, so when I encountered a blue @ sign, I recognized it as either swordsman, doppleganger, or doppleganger lord. All of these had become too easy to waste spells on, but it took too long to melee them to death without holding down a key. Of course, there is one other thing that is a blue @ sign for wizards... So now I am sticking to a HE barbarian (going for ULE despite the fact that my first kill was a kobold).

I will try Drakish fighter or another race as a priest or possibly go back to human monks (I can't see anyone else being a monk except perhaps a fast hurthling) or even -- preferably three-four talent (heir+alert) -- thieves. Spellcasting races rely on a limited supply of attacks. At least archers are slightly less limited due to barbarians always being around and the ability to recollect arrows, but I would take a fighter over them any day too. I have already completed Paladins (I play them mainly fighters with great spell affinity). They own.
"If the bread weights that much in the draklor chain, then it's no wonder so many die of starvation.
AND - what kind of IRON RATION weights as much as an iron shield?! A dinner for four, oven included? ;)"

-Maelstrom

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 12/3/2007 at 10:38 (GMT -5) by F50]
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 at 18:02 (GMT -5)

Swordsmen, doppelgangers and doppelganger lords became too weak to waste spells on? Those are exactly the sort of enemies I would always use spells on - too annoying/dangerous to melee. And at high levels spells are so cheap and you have so much pp from highly trained mana that you shouldn't have any qualms about expending magic.

If you're after more of a sword and sorcery class then priests are perfect, since they still gain weapon marks fast. Only problem is they don't get as many ball spellbooks as wizards.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
F50
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 at 22:04 (GMT -5)

at that point I had just recovered from having

~150 castings magic missile
~300 castings fire bolt
~400 burning hands and quickly dropping

sad. I had just gotten up to 2000-2500 castings burning hands and 1000 castings magic missile so I had reason to be paranoid (though, I admit, not enough reason to not use spells against those guys).
"If the bread weights that much in the draklor chain, then it's no wonder so many die of starvation.
AND - what kind of IRON RATION weights as much as an iron shield?! A dinner for four, oven included? ;)"

-Maelstrom
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 at 22:51 (GMT -5)

I don't think I've ever had a wizard run out of BH and MM after the very early game. You find spellbooks for them simply everywhere! Perhaps it depends on playstyle somehow, or maybe I play chars with who get more castings (higher Le in different races etc).
F50
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 at 10:37 (GMT -5)

I was finding *tons* of spellbooks, but very few were offensive bolt spells or BH. Until shortly before the point where I died, I was usually worrying about running out. He started out with 21 Le or something and got ~500 castings from each starting book he read (one of which was fire bolt, the other was non-offensive).

OT: Btw, can anyone make a guide for monks? They die more easily than I am used to in the early game (or at least human ones do).

-Maelstrom

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 12/3/2007 at 10:40 (GMT -5) by F50]

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: