Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Guide to being a Monk

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 2 pages long.
Go to page 1 2
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4068 days, 7 hours, 22 minutes and 38 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 at 12:25 (GMT -5)

"Alertness - Avoiding damage is good for low-armored charcters. DV bonus helps along with [b]other means[/b] to making the character unhittable at higher levels"

With "other means" he is probably referring to the higher probability of spell evasion thanks to Alertness, so he did mention it. I guess Molach assumes that the people who read his guides have studied the skill section of either manual or guidebook, or will do so, and know about the skill effects already, or will find out shortly. He does say right away that detailed descriptions are in the guidebook, after all.

This approach has its merits - for one, it makes his section on skills a whole lot shorter than the ones in my guides. I also sometimes think that the skill sections in my guides is pretty unnecessary, but I included them anyway because I wanted to compile as much information as possible that would be helpful to the more newbish reader who doesn't want to read the guidebook right away.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 4/21/2008 at 12:29 (GMT -5) by Silfir]
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4239 days, 6 hours, 40 minutes and 28 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 at 12:34 (GMT -5)

True enough, I guess there's no need to flood the guide with repetitive info. Anyone playing a monk seriously should be fairly spoiled already. But I was more thinking the comment "Dodge - Same as Alertness" was perhaps a little inappropriate.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 at 06:58 (GMT -5)

Dodge is of course not the same as Alertness, but it has the same benefit - lower chances of getting hit. Which is what Molach was trying to say.

Could've been put in a less confusing way, but let's stop being true nitpickers here for a bit :)
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5141 days, 12 hours, 34 minutes and 51 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 07:17 (GMT -5)

Hey, it is finished!

My first post is updatet accordingly.

Silfir, I have a word- file, want me to send it? I didn't worry much about text format and special effects as I don't know how you would like it. So you can pretty much copy/paste from that post instead.

You also get full editorial rights to it, due to you having them on your site. Just don't sell it without giving me a sizable percentage...heh

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 5/28/2008 at 07:22 (GMT -5) by Molach]
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 10:21 (GMT -5)

Aaaand there it is. Fixed some mistakes, sparing you much public embarassment :)

Seriously though: Many thanks for the contribution! Liked the walkthroughs in the end, illustrating the pros and cons of different early game approaches ;)
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 10:40 (GMT -5)

Good job, I need no more embarassment. Got plenty already.

Now you just need to overstrike the word "ignorance" in the second monk quote in introduction. The original quote had ignorance, so I naturally replaced it with exp. levels. But I wanted the original to still stand there, so I can not be accused of mis-quoting mr. Buddhism himself. I don't know how active the buddhist extremists are.
Lost In Place
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 12:47 (GMT -5)

Should I assume hurthlings are intentionally not listed among the races? (I noted they weren't in the guide on Silfir's site either)
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4239 days, 6 hours, 40 minutes and 28 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 14:16 (GMT -5)

Gah, posted a reply and it disappeared... Damn it, can't even remember all the points I raised. From what I remember:

-"mean machine" and "ninja" monks make good use of hack 'n' back with high movement speed - ninjas especially, since the DV helps if they screw it up. Also helps with close range missiles.

-Trident/sceptre not needed when killing andy if going for OCG. This is the only special ending pure bare-handers can go for.

-All stat-drainers are a huge nuisance for melee, and they are best disabled (blindness etc). ACW is also a big toughie cause of his spells. Also worth noting that GMs, earth elementals and certain golems are hard to punch through. Steel golems in particular might be troublesome early on for martial artists.

-Hostile-swapping is also a huge help in the Mana Temple and D50 to take down the chaos wizards quickly. Meleeing through huge hordes of ever-strengthening greater chaos servants is not particularly desired.

Anyway, great guide - will definitely be using it myself some time to try a pure bare-handed victory.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Nezur lurking
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 16:06 (GMT -5)

“Thirst for existence, O monks, has a specific condition, it is nourished by something, it also does not go without support. And what is that nourishment? It is ignorance experience levels!”

Typo there.
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 10:04 (GMT -5)

I think there is no such thing as an extremistic buddhist. It's part of what makes the religion so popular.
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 17:23 (GMT -5)

Mana temple switch position could be useful, and class-specific to monk, so it might go in. Personally I just stay in the corridor (1 NW of the opening), kill chaos stuff till the purple @ appears. But if someone likes to get into there, I guess they could.

OCG - dropping sceptre, okay missed that. Never done one, think I never will (corruption is harsh). Mis-brain-fire.

The typo "ignorance experience levels" should be
ignorance experience levels, as it is now written in the guide. Good job.

ACW is a very troublesome foe, and I think the monk has no special way of dealing with him. So I sipmly left it out. Bashing him in melee works pretty fine, if you have enough DV/PV and a damage-dealing tactical setting. Dragon slaying missile + ring of ice (or even without). Hm. Come to think of it, dodge + alertness probably means that monks avoid his energy bolts pretty easy. So archery makes more sense than fighter classes without (Do+Al) combo. Okay. Guess same with nuurg-vaarn. But then again, I almost always shoot him with humanoid slaying on berserk, due to his stat-drain. I'll think on updating that special opponents part.

Of course, mean machine is also a movie, starring that football player...any takers?
Nezur lurking
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 17:57 (GMT -5)

> Part 3 - The class powers.

> Level 6 - circular kick. For 2500 energy points,
> attack all NPC around you with a kick attack.
> [...]
> In this time other monsters will have time to
> close in and mabye even attack. Summoners
> will have time to summon.

> Level 32/40 - can score instant kills against
> humanoids, man-sized and then >every sized.
> [...]
> Not something to rely on. It does give a nice way
> to off Emperor Moloch, and if it can work against
> AnRoR DrAkOn that would be fun.

More typos.

Go to page 1 2

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help