Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Ultra ending attempt...Advice?

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

psy_wombats
Registered user
Untitled

Last page view:

5329 days, 16 hours, 3 minutes and 9 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 at 17:52 (GMT -5)

Im trying for Ultimate Chaos God with a GE wizard, level 47 right now, cleared everything up to emperor moloch and Gaab'Baay's quests.

And right now I'm C as to give the crone the boar skull. However, I'm out of PoCC to give her for the next part, and at some point I'll need to become neutral anyway to summon the TotRR... And I can't think of any easy way to accomplish this. Does the 'give dwarftown priest cash' still work? If I can consistenty get to neutral I can get a PoCC from the Terinyo druid with my spare corpse... How should I convert?

And right now I have 570 health, 900 PP with chaos orb of mana equipped... and two books of Wish. Could I possibly attempt Arhcmage?
WHEN WOMBATS STRIKE!
Enjoy your last days...
noob
Registered user

Last page view:

5921 days, 21 hours, 19 minutes and 1 second ago.
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 at 22:10 (GMT -5)

There are many ways to convert - sacrifice repeatedly 10 gold on N/L altars, heal your pet (or heal neutral monsters after calming them until they fight for you), wear amulet of order, give beggars rep 1000 gold, punish yourself with whips(wear doomring+worst stuff), kill big baddies(crime lord, mad doc, ...), offer peace to panicking enemies(maybe works with scare monster),...

fastest would be altars and healing i guess (but be prepared to meet some pissed gods; healing only works on wounded monsters - but not by yourself)

Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4232 days, 18 hours, 6 minutes and 45 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 at 10:15 (GMT -5)

Amulets of order won't work at your level. Your only real help is saccing gold at altars. Don't do it at the dwarftown altar in case you accidently convert it. Find a grey or white altar and sac gold in steps of 5 or 10, but make sure you are only wearing artifacts whilst you do it. After you get to NC you should be able to sac large amounts of gold to pull you to N=. Giving a couple of million gold to the priest might work too.

For PoCC I guess you don't have any corpses to give to the druid? You need to be neutral to do that mind. If you don't have any of the boss corpses then black unicorns encountered in the wilderness can be used - be sure to have some arrows of hunting.

Archmage I'd say is out of the question, unless you want to put in a lot of effort.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
F50
Registered user

Last page view:

5469 days, 9 hours, 32 minutes and 13 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 at 10:38 (GMT -5)

don't sac 10 gold, sac 1 gold, its safer (and I think just as fast).

With those stats you might be able to attempt archmage. try reading one of your wish spellbooks.

Since I have been completely spoiled and refer to the guidebook a lot, I usually make sure I have everything *except* a farmer corpse, I need to give to Gaab'Baay (and the ratling) before I switch to C.
"If the bread weights that much in the draklor chain, then it's no wonder so many die of starvation.
AND - what kind of IRON RATION weights as much as an iron shield?! A dinner for four, oven included? ;)"

-Maelstrom
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 at 11:50 (GMT -5)

You only need to be C to get the first quest from her - it's generally best to switch to C for the first quest and feeding the ratling, then switch back as soon as possible.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
noob
Registered user

Last page view:

5921 days, 21 hours, 19 minutes and 1 second ago.
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 at 14:53 (GMT -5)

@psy_wombat: Elder or druid quest - Jharod still alife? Also which talents did you got?
psy_wombats
Registered user
Untitled

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 at 14:58 (GMT -5)

Didn't realize that... I had to convert at level 43 to give her the boar skull... Crap.

But anyway, I've done everything now but convert and get the trident. (I found a PoCC in the water dragon's cave) I was going to use my Giant Rat Figurine of Wondrous Power to heal in the water cave, but obviously, it swam. Great. So I tried a beggar, which died instantly.
I'll try again with something more decent...
WHEN WOMBATS STRIKE!
Enjoy your last days...
Jhonka
Registered user
Kickass player

Last page view:

5349 days, 18 hours, 6 minutes and 29 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2007 at 14:53 (GMT -5)

What does it mean to be an archmage?!?

Easiest way to convert is to lower your pv as much as possible(my personal record -10 :), with rings of doom and lots of -pv stuff and whipping the alignment to L+. L+ because Avatars of order do not need to be super corrupted.

The whip should be slaughtering type for fast alignment change, but with low enough pv anything goes. I just whipped a char from C- to NL(going for neutral ultra for a change) with a normal whip and it took less than 15 minutes with a 50LVL char.

Saccing shitloads of money is something i've never even tried, but i wouldn't recommend, since it takes ages to do so.
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2007 at 20:41 (GMT -5)

Saccing money doesn't take long at all, and I think is much easier in the late game as long as you take the right precautions (only wear artifacts). When whipping you have to be sure to not kill yourself, as that can be quite an embarassing death. If heavily chaotic you can sometimes need over triple your current HP to get up to lawful status.

Archmage means gaining practically infinite castings of the wish spell, usually by getting your PP mega-high to be able to cast it and keep casting it after your stats hit zero. You generally include over 99 PoGAs and loads of water so that after you have finished wishing for everything you want you can get your stats up to max.

General process for those interested:

1. Get a spellbook of wish and read it. Probably the easiest part, though the books can be fairly rare. For wizards a copy will always be in the library (and you'll likely find one about anyway). Book shops are also an easy way of getting hold of one. Dipping books into PoEx might get you lucky, but you may have to go ID-scumming or BDC scumming as a last resort. If you have teleportisis then you'll need to go somewhere like the chaos pirahna level or an elemental temple to read it (the former would usually be less corrupting). Be sure to get yourself to bloated before you start reading - it takes a looong time.

2. Get PP stupendously high so you can cast the spell. The classic way of doing this is with mana battery corruption and picking up wands. Cursed wands make no difference, whilst blessed ones rise it highest. You can scum the BDC for wands, or go around petrifying creatures and kicking the statues in hopes of them having magical bones... Often best to keep recharging a blessed wand with potions/scrolls so you keep draining max magic from it. The mana battery corruption also reduces spell costs itself, which is handy. You need to raise your PP so high that even when your Mana stat gets drained to zero you can still cast Wish - this is obviously very difficult. It becomes insanely difficult when you consider that it's preferable to book-cast the spell (triple the PP cost) so that you don't run out of castings. Book-casting can be reduced to just +50% the cost if you get the right talents (which you'll need to decide on early in the game).

Remember that armor with the "of power" suffix gives 20% more PP, which can be incredibly useful. If you intend a character to go for archmage then identify every body armor throughout the game in the small hope of finding at least clothes of power. Certain starsigns also give a bonus to PP, which is very useful to potential archmages. High level wizards and priests get significant spell cost bonuses too (wizards are slightly better for this). Optimally you should be a level 50 grey elven wizard born in Salamander wearing some armor of power, and have used the mana battery corruption to get insanely higher PP.

'U'sing the mana orb gives a permanent PP and mana boost, but corrupts (corruption is halved whilst wearing the elemental gauntlets). It also restores PP, which can be handy later...

Darknight reduces spellcosts for chaotics, and silvernight does the same for lawfuls. This can mean you can cast wish with a much lower PP requirement. However, it means you only have 24 hours of game time to do all the wishing you want, and so you can't stand around waiting for Mana to regen inbetween castings. PP regen can only be done with praying or Mana orb if you want to rely on one of these nights fo spell cost reduction - more on that in a bit.

3. Time to cast it, and keep casting it. Go to a non-corrupting and safe place like the Unicorn Glade. Drop almost everything apart from food and essential items you'll need to wear or use. Wear an amulet of life saving in case you make a mistake. Each time you cast the spell a random stat will be drained by 10, so you'll need to cope with every stat hitting rock-bottom 1. This can be offset by stat-boosting equipment or stat-boosting potions. Since you'll want to keep casting the spell then obviously items like the trident of the red rooster (+24 mana) and the orb of mana (+10 mana) are very useful for keeping your PP high.

To recharge PP you can just wait. However if you're relying on dark or silver night then this option isn't open - you need to do all your wishing within 24 hours. If you have high piety then you can keep praying for more PP. However prayer costs increase exponentially, so you'll quickly find yourself pissing off your god, even with incredibly high piety. Mana orb is usually the preferred choice. When you wear the elemental gauntlets and 'u'se the orb of mana your PP are fully restored, you're given +3 Mana and +12 PP permanently, and you gain 2.5 corruptions (5 if you don't wear the gauntlets). Obviously the corruption can be a nuisance, so it'll mean you'll have to make several wishes for scrolls of chaos resistance now and then to stay clear of becoming a purple jelly. Make sure you don't remove the mana battery corruption though.

Your stats will all drop to zero whilst casting, but you can keep on casting infinitely and get all the items you want. It's important to decide beforehand what you want though. Any character going for an archmage would normally be strong enough to wipe their bum with Andy and Fisty, so it's not game-winning items you're after here. The real point to an Archmage is in making an insanely perfect character, with all stats/skills/etc at maximum and with the best equipment possible. Some people also make them so they can then dive into the depths of infinity and see how far they can go. Be sure to make yourself a list of everything you want from your wish session so you don't forget anything. Here are some important pointers to remember wishing for:

-Scrolls of chaos resistance. If using the mana orb you'll be wishing for these a lot.
-Potions of gain attributes. At least 100 - preferably more as back-up.
-Potions of water. You'll want to bless all the nice stuff you're getting, so over a thousand of these will likely be necessary.
-Neat equipment, like seven league boots, girdles of giant strength, loads of eternium gear, etc. You might want to wish for 1000 eternium spears so you can end up with one of devastation or penetration. Get all the glorious things you've ever dreamed of.
-Scrolls of defense and protection - a great way of pimping out all your new stuff and making your char even more invincible.
-Scrolls of magic mapping - for anyone wanting to infinity dive.
-Every skill. Wish for every one, then keeping wishing for them to raise the skill to max. Even bridge building. Wish for scrolls of education to get any ones that can't be directly wished for, or in case you forget some.
-"Marks". You can increase all your weapon marks through wishing, getting you a higher end score. Plus you can then try out dual-wielding whips of the snake at max skills - great fun!
-Every spellbook. Read them all till you get max knowledge. Then keep casting them to improve effectivity. Anything for more raw points on the high score...
-Potions of ultra healing and potions of quickling blood, to keep increasing your max hp and speed respectively. They go up to around 10k each. Your PP will probably get maxed out from use of the Mana orb, or you can wish for more wands to help increase it with the mana battery corruption.
-Amulets of life saving. You can never have enough. An archmage should always wear one of these - you don't want to lose your character to something stupid, and there's nothing else you *need* in that slot any more. Even Preserver becomes a luxury.
-AKWs to kill for more xp.
-Potions of exchange - at least 100. And rings to go with them if you don't have plenty already. This is so after you restore your stats et al you still have the ingredients for a different sort of wish engine. If there's anything you've forgotten then cook up some RoDSes later on and fill in the missing details. Less hassle than going through all the archmage stuff again.
-Fun stuff - play around. Experiment with different wish options, and try out some of the humorous wishes like "babes" or "Thomas Biskup". Wish for "friends" and a greater moloch and watch them fight each other. Go mad.

Now an important part of this process is it takes FUCKING FOREVER. You'll be constantly typing in different stuff - cut and paste is obviously recommended to save on RSI. Be careful when going through this tedium - you don't want to make a mistake. Look out for starvation, becoming overburdened/crushed, or overcasting from HP and draining your life away. Wear an AoLS! A pendant of Mana might give you a few extra PP, but it won't save your skin from stupidity.

After you're done bask in the glory of your utterly god-like character. Make a back-up save of the fellow for whenever you want to play around with wishing for things or testing things out. Try your new powers on different areas of the game - see if even SMC can match your might (be careful though, it possibly can). Watch in awe as you cast ball spells with max willpower and great swathes of enemies simply evaporate before your eyes. Watch in horror as your superpowered character accidentally fires a magic missile in a closed corridor and manages to kill even himself. Ah yes, these are the glories of the Archmage... Note that if you want a massive high score then you're best closing the gate than going for an ultra ending - far more points that way.

To have a look at a great example of an Archmage check out the top character in the ADOM Hall of Fame for 1.1.1 by Gozer - a truly exemplary example of a perfect character created through insane amounts of tedious wishing.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/23/2008 at 15:26 (GMT -5) by Darren Grey]
Jhonka
Registered user
Kickass player

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 at 02:21 (GMT -5)

>If heavily chaotic you can sometimes need over triple your current HP to get up to lawful status.

far, far more than triple. I'd say like 10-30 times the max hp, but the catch is to recover in the wilderness wearing seven league boots. This won't take too much game time, only a couple of days.

Being an archmage seems like a lot of effort and even a starvation scummed 50 lvl mindcrafter is absolutely unstoppable with his/hers gtb! Another funny char is immortal necromancer, but i'd say that the archmage is the holy grail of exploitation.
Jhonka
Registered user
Kickass player

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 at 02:34 (GMT -5)

What does it mean to have saved yourself x times? How do i wish for grand mastery?
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4061 days, 18 hours, 48 minutes and 55 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 at 05:34 (GMT -5)

I think you can only wish for weapon skill marks in some way, though I don't know the proper term. Needless to say, if you only get 30 or 40 marks each, achieving Grand Mastery takes FUCKING FOREVER, just like becoming an Archmage and wishing for stuff takes FUCKING FOREVER.

(The perfect term to describe Archmages)

"To have yourself x times" means you saved the game x times. I was confused at first, too ;)
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Jhonka
Registered user
Kickass player

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 at 06:11 (GMT -5)

>To have saved yourself x times" means you saved the game x times

Does this mean that the guy speedrunning game with a drakish mindcrafter, never left the computer?!? Whoa, that requires some persistence.

I've never even bothered to try the ring wish engine, but the archmage is like wish engine to the tenth power! I just have to look up with awe for those who have done it. Since it needs thousands of wishes to do all the stuff that they did, it really would take FUCKING FOREVER!!!
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5135 days, 1 minute and 8 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 at 08:23 (GMT -5)

You can leave the computer, just leave it on while you sleep. Don't see the point, except as a proof that the char wasn't savescummed.

Mana orb + elemental gauntlets only gave me less than 2 corruptions per use. (I had a clean char, used once got me 1 corruption, second and third use gave 2 each. Which means that it is between 1.66 and 1.99 corruptions each use) +Ma will fade away on your unlimited castings, but the +PP is permanent. Like the +PP one CAN get from kobold shamen or Ogre magi. (Always +Ma, sometimes +PP I think)

Most archmages will typically spend quite a while, and may therefor find it useful to close the gate. But one can use the mana orb quite a few times before getting rid of it. First fill up with corruptions right before unicorn, and then only keep enough corruption removal stuff to be able to clear D:50. You can also probably use a few regular wishes (from memory) to get more corruption removal for orb usage. After gate is closed it matters little how corrupted you are, as you are about to scum a lot.

After D:50, Mana battery while scumming for wands/scrolls of charging/potions of booze is sub-optimal, best is to bless all those uncursed wands with (hopefully plentyful) holy water first. I do not remember seeing PP be reduced when using cursed wands. Sure of that? Mabye no gain, but negative is not how I recall it.
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

4890 days, 20 hours, 23 minutes and 41 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 at 09:32 (GMT -5)

The point of

"Saving the world without even stopping to
save yourself"

is not to prove that you didn't savescum.
It is a simple side effect of playing a
game with limited game turns. I personally
suicide if it looks like I can't close the
gate in under 50000 turns. It probably
seems dumb, but it keeps the game interesting.

Put me in the 'fool filter', where I belong!
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 at 09:41 (GMT -5)

Personally I think having the mana orb around for archmagery is very handy, plus it's nice to clear D50 with a stupendously powerful character. But obviously it's nice to have corruption removed when scumming the BDC for hundreds of wands. Something the player has to weigh up themselves.

Just checked the guidebook about cursed wands and you're right, they don't drain PP like I thought. Guess I always avoided them "just in case". A very notable cursed wand in the game is in the bug cave - door creation with 99 charges. If you can get your hands on it before the mana battery corruption and bless it then it can give a very nice PP boost.
psy_wombats
Registered user
Untitled

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 at 11:02 (GMT -5)

Unfortunately I can't get to the temple as I started this file with a new computer, without transferring the high score table... Oh well.

Anyway, the Ultra Ending archmage can't close the gate and then scum for wands. I haven't had any wand shops generated either... Although I did discover a bookshop. Think Magic Missile with efficiency over 70 could take down Andy?
WHEN WOMBATS STRIKE!
Enjoy your last days...
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 at 13:38 (GMT -5)

Unwise to use spells against Andy - they increase his speed. MM would be fairly useless against him anyway. Best hope is whacking him with the trident or peppering him full of blessed humanoid/demon slaying ammo.
Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

4592 days, 8 hours, 11 minutes and 59 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 at 16:24 (GMT -5)

Darren - Do you think if a person creates an archmage, that it diminishes their enjoyment of making new characters, especially those that don't get much luck finding items/precrownings ect? I mean, after you've tasted perfection, do you even want to go back to mediocrity?
"As for me, I feel priveleged to be among the only species able to make scientific inquiries." -unknown

"Be sure to keep your distance if you don't have resistance." -DG
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 at 12:03 (GMT -5)

It depends on your view of the game. I still consider myself a poor player of ADOM - I've only properly won twice, and I die a lot. I enjoy this challenge to ADOM, even if it can be painful at times. What I tend to enjoy about RPGs in general is developing a weak character into something powerful, controlling that constant progression, and so I find it better that you start off incredibly weak. I mean really, being able to blast everything to infinity and being virtually immune to harm is hardly any fun if you're like that all the time. The game would quickly become boring if you had to go through it all as an archmage. Plus every character is different and unique, and every game feels fresh and new - if ever you get tired of the game you just try a different race/class combo and you get to see a whole new side to the game.

Also, Archmage is such an effort that you'll never want to go through it again ever. Ring-dipping on the other hand becomes much more tempting (I try to avoid it since it feels bad - too much reward for too little effort).

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 12/8/2007 at 12:08 (GMT -5) by Darren Grey]
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user
Master of all things nOOby!!!

Last page view:

5757 days, 8 hours, 2 minutes and 3 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 at 12:08 (GMT -5)

Well said Darren ^.^
"You try to give Fang, the large dog the bone. Fang, the large dog says,"Do you know who I am, mortal?!?!"
My smartest dog ever:D

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: