Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / *BLAST IT GM!*

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

F50
Registered user

Last page view:

5470 days, 13 hours, 10 minutes and 49 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 at 00:06 (GMT -5)

So I encounter a tension room full of GMs Yay! first GM drops hulking armor, Yay! do not have enough carrying capacity to pick up hulking armor, oh bad, bad, bad. second moloch picks up hulking armor, BLAST IT GM!

I ran, but it appeared well within my range of sight instantly without teleportation message.

HOW DO I CONTAIN THIS MONSTER!

I escaped the level, but now,

HOW DO I CONTAIN THIS MONSTER!

EDIT: Just thought of something. I could try to accomplish the same feat.

I can decrease my Dx a lot via scumming for cursed morgia (i'd need to know how much to use to abuse Dx) and/or a weapon with the appropriate suffix. Is there any wishable dx-decreasing item? Can it do 20 at a time?

I don't know if this has been done before...
"If the bread weights that much in the draklor chain, then it's no wonder so many die of starvation.
AND - what kind of IRON RATION weights as much as an iron shield?! A dinner for four, oven included? ;)"

-Maelstrom

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 12/10/2007 at 00:34 (GMT -5) by F50]
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3111 days, 17 hours, 14 minutes and 33 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 at 00:55 (GMT -5)

You can't do the same - stat decreasing items stop at 1, for your stats (didn't you ever wear an amulet of cold heart, while your Ch was ~10 ? ).
The only way to deal with GMs and lying moloch armour is fighting them face to face before they enter the square with the armour.
Saddly, few can stand their ground before these beasts.

But I'm amazed your hero lived to tell about it - it's a feat more astonishing then anything I've ever done.

Sorry to say that, but that level is off limits. You can't fight him on fair terms, unless you've got ~1000 speed (since speed above you energy usage is redundant).
A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4233 days, 21 hours, 45 minutes and 21 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 at 12:39 (GMT -5)

Man, that's bad - seriously bad. Maelstrom's advice is spot on - keep the hell away from that level. If you have to pass through them teleport only. GMs can smash down doors and break through walls, and one at that speed is simply unassailable.

In general when taking on GM tension rooms you *must* lure them out one by one, and if any drop an armour make sure it's kicked out of the way before another can get near it. You're lucky the character is still alive :/
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
F50
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 at 14:15 (GMT -5)

yeah...but I'm worried that another turn in that level will bring the GM to the up staircase. Is there any way to create walls/water (gm impassable barrier) on a level? are speedy GM's likely to switch places with a wall of monsters?

I guess my only hope then is to start a gremlin bomb -> (ring) wish engine -> insane speed + insane To -> dead Moloch.

speed above energy usage is not redundant because if energy > 1000 you can move so if energy > 2000 you can move twice.

How much speed would uber-moloch insane Dx get you (ie. how much speed do i need)?

MY QUEST IS TO BE THE FIRST HERO TO DEFEAT AN UBER-MOLOCH!
"If the bread weights that much in the draklor chain, then it's no wonder so many die of starvation.
AND - what kind of IRON RATION weights as much as an iron shield?! A dinner for four, oven included? ;)"

-Maelstrom

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 12/10/2007 at 14:17 (GMT -5) by F50]
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

4144 days, 3 hours, 2 minutes and 12 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 at 14:24 (GMT -5)

well, i wouldn't say avoid that level.

In my testing moloch's with hulking armour speed went throug roof (getting something like 6 actions vs 1 1000energy point action of char with speed of 150+). That probably means he is on 1k speed.

But... since my ex wish engined and now test archer was quite resistant i noticed strange thing. That speed of moloch usually subsides back to standart somewhere around 10 turns (i did test on ADOM 1.1.1 Dos version). You need to survive these turns, but... I mean generic strategy should be teleport away if you still alive, wait 10-20 turns and when hunt down uber beast.

P.S. monster memory refuses to give exact moloch's speed increase, stating previous stats. As far as i can tell such moloches do not give extra xp. Surprisingly they DV does not go through roof. If i need to guess, code is at least partially fixed in this place.
A root is a flower that disdains fame.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 12/10/2007 at 14:42 (GMT -5) by Soirana]
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 at 14:29 (GMT -5)

F50 - are you sure? From my understanding, you won't move twice, since a turn (a segment) does not allow you to do that.
Here's what the manual says:
"ADOM divides
each player turn into a number of segments. In each segment every
being on the current level adds its speed rating to its current
energy. (..)
All Player Characters start with a basic speed rating of 100 which basically means that they can act once every 10 segments."

So the maximum speed you should aim for is 4000 if you're a barbarian (tremendous blow each turn).
A realist sees a train.
F50
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 at 14:46 (GMT -5)

was the ten turns about waiting, or did the GM adjust in power?

In either case, I need speed of at least 500. I do have six blessed potions of boost speed (and have one RoDS that I can use to wish for "speed", though I would rather wait to use that on a wish for GMs or AoLS)...

Btw, I now have enough carrying capacity (thanks to porter talent) to carry a moloch armor (barely) and am level 27 or 28 (forget which).

-Maelstrom

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 12/10/2007 at 14:48 (GMT -5) by F50]
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

4144 days, 3 hours, 2 minutes and 12 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 at 14:58 (GMT -5)

first adjustment, when equiping armour and when ten turns into decrease of speed.

The decrease was not due to adjustment in power. I bet you can take him out. Just get in and teleport yourslef as far as you can. 10 turns with that speed might be up to 100 squares.
A root is a flower that disdains fame.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 at 16:14 (GMT -5)

~10 turns? So could that mean that he gets a boost to his current energy, and not to his acctual speed?
He uses up the excess and then "slows down", since he's got nothing to spend anymore...
A realist sees a train.
F50
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 at 16:41 (GMT -5)

Ooooooh. that makes sense!

-Maelstrom
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 at 19:26 (GMT -5)

If you're wanting to avoid the level them I'd say fill the area near the staircases with creatures (gremlin might be easiest to produce) and create locked doors all around, the gremlins would act as a sufficient buffer to stop the GM getting near.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
F50
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 at 19:48 (GMT -5)

THANK YOU SOIRANA AND MAELSTROM!

I blessed and drank all my 11 boost speed potions getting up to just over 500 speed. this was enough that I saw the GM coming and teleported to the other side of the level and waited until it came my way, now bereft of its amazing energy. have slain the GM and am working on getting rid of the rest of them by leading them up the stairs first.

Actually, I am level 29 and am going to retrieve the AotME.

For future reference, GMs in the Barbarians glade is pretty safe, I was only taking 200hp hits and a PC can wait out any super energetic GMs in the water with the Rune-covered trident.

-Maelstrom

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 12/10/2007 at 20:26 (GMT -5) by F50]
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user
Master of all things nOOby!!!

Last page view:

5758 days, 11 hours, 40 minutes and 39 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 at 19:29 (GMT -5)

Put this char in the hall of fame F50 when you win/die, finishing off the super moloch is nice.

Level 29 and killing great molochs? Impressive enough. RCT must be the main reason.
"You try to give Fang, the large dog the bone. Fang, the large dog says,"Do you know who I am, mortal?!?!"
My smartest dog ever:D
F50
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 at 19:41 (GMT -5)

apologies, don't have any record of dead char. I was using a phase dagger actually, forgot about the RCT. The entire reason was the 11 potions of boost speed I downed before waiting for him to return to normal speed (at least mostly). As long as you don't get hit (and even if you do) they aren't that bad. 100-200 damage didn't kill me (he probably adjusted).

-Maelstrom
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user
Master of all things nOOby!!!

Last page view:

5758 days, 11 hours, 40 minutes and 39 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, December 16, 2007 at 18:18 (GMT -5)

If I have a choice between the following monsters:

Greater Moloch
Greater Titan
Emperor Lich

I would rather go against the greater moloch, then the greater titan, and would never want to go against the emperor lich. GM's can be outsped, titans are tougher than GM"s since they can range you, and Emp. Lich's dont give you any kind of *THUMB* warning, can cast spells, heal themselves, and summon fodder to waste you away. Oh, and they can heal themselves.

I had a tension room full of emperor liches once.

Needless to say, I died.
"You try to give Fang, the large dog the bone. Fang, the large dog says,"Do you know who I am, mortal?!?!"
My smartest dog ever:D
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, December 16, 2007 at 19:39 (GMT -5)

I remember someone who found out there was a threat room of emperor liches in the middle chamber of D50 after using a wand of monster detection. Needless to say he went for a wand of destruction ending.

ELs definitely are the worst enemy in the game. They're still surpassable with the right tactics, but the mega-stat draining is a real bitch, the summons stop you getting a clear arrow sight on them, and a few death rays can spell the end for any character. Greater molochs seem like free xp in comparison (though they deal out far higher damage per round and a slip up on tactics and timing can spell a quick death).
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

4892 days, 2 minutes and 17 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 at 00:17 (GMT -5)

Greater Titans can't see in the dark.
This gives a huge advantage when fighting them
as opposed to the other two.
GT's will panic 100% of the time though, (in my
experience anyway) so you still have to beware
of them hitting you, if they don't have an escape
route. Utilizing poison and/or bolt spells makes
Greater Titans almost free experience points.

These days I try to avoid any Emperor Lich I find,
no matter what character I'm playing.
Put me in the 'fool filter', where I belong!
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4062 days, 22 hours, 27 minutes and 31 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 at 17:08 (GMT -5)

A single emperor lich is easily killed with undead slaying ammo. SEVERAL are a pain, though. As long as you can avoid going into melee with one, it's doable. The summons actually help for that.

And forgetting the amulet of death ray resistance isn't recommended either.

I had a dwarven druid take out a greater undead vault once. Lots of ball spells took the emperor liches out, but every one of them took ages to againkill. And I teleported the hell away every time of them got into melee.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
noob
Registered user

Last page view:

5923 days, 57 minutes and 37 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 at 21:37 (GMT -5)

The summons are some pain forcing one to fight for ages in corrupting areas. Also fought a huge undead vault with orcish wizard (only 1 EL but dozens of lichkings). Half screen full of restocking summons - used magic missile cause I'm usually too afraid destroying items to ball spell 'em all. Then slashed my way to the lichs and picked them one by one in melee (while surrounded by other minions). They hardly drained anything at all because they were totally exhausted from confusion attempts all the time...
F50
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 at 13:27 (GMT -5)

doesn't magic missile destroy potions?

-Maelstrom
Portrait
PeanutGod
Registered user
Lord of Misery

Last page view:

5046 days, 18 hours and 29 minutes ago.
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 at 13:48 (GMT -5)

Magic missile doesn't destroy anything
Ladies and Gentleman, take my advice. Pull down your pants, and slide on the ice.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: