Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Carrying capacity talents?

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

4570 days, 10 hours, 2 minutes and 40 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 at 19:20 (GMT -5)

I often take the porter/master packager/beast of burden talents. Why? Well especially for low strength characters, wearing an iron armor and tower shield, all the large rations, carrying un-id ammo & weapons & armors in case they have a suffix/prefix - I get to Strained! very quickly. With those three talents, I can make it to town to sell ID stuff or to an altar. Or just until I've accumulated a large enough pile of things that I can feel good about using up a blessed scroll of identify if I'm far enough along to have those.

So I'm wondering what other people do, with their low str characters who don't choose the 3 carrying talents. I know I'd like to go for the other helpful talents that actually win me battles directly, like the ranged weapon talents for instance. How do you balance the weight without missing out on that weapon of devastation hidden amongst the piles of crap?
"As for me, I feel priveleged to be among the only species able to make scientific inquiries." -unknown

"Be sure to keep your distance if you don't have resistance." -DG
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4210 days, 19 hours, 57 minutes and 26 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 at 19:32 (GMT -5)

There are other ways of iding things than a blessed scroll of identify. If you've checked their status on an artifact then you can equip them safely. You can also check their value at shop - stuff with excellent ego values will receive high offers. I tend to get the 3 carrying talents later in the game anyway, since you end up finding so much good stuff you want to keep around (slaying ammo, backup weapons, artifacts, books, etc). Few of the combat talents are all that good until you invest heavily in them anyway.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

4868 days, 22 hours, 14 minutes and 22 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 at 20:50 (GMT -5)

>So I'm wondering what other people do, with their
>low str characters

I mostly play limited turns games, so this option
isn't open to me, but perhaps it will work for you.

If your PC is capable of killing Hotzenplots or
Kranach, there is a very quick way to use your
reward money, to solve your low strength problems.
This may be considered 'cheap' by some, because
the reward is so great for so little effort.

First, the sheriff is the only character in
Terinyo that walks to the top line. You can use
that line to store your stuff, if you lead him
away, to maybe the puppy cave. None of the other
villagers can get to your stuff, so they can't
take off with it.(Actually I'm not sure about the
carpenter).

Second, use your loot to buy out Munxip's large
rations a few times, and store them with your
stuff.

Third, pick up enough large rations to become
STRAINED!, and 'w5' until your strength stat
increases to 18. Just remember to keep picking
up rations as your capacity increases.

If you plan to use this tactic, consider choosing
a race with low strength, like a hurthling or elf.
This will give great benefits to their natural stats.
Put me in the 'fool filter', where I belong!
vogonpoet
Registered user

Last page view:

4928 days, 3 hours, 28 minutes and 10 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 at 07:04 (GMT -5)

I find myself walking around with huge amounts of crap all the time, and always take those talents... I always rationalise it by thinking of it as a speed bonus, avoiding strained! all the time, but in fact, I struggle to avoid being at least strained no matter how strong I am - there is always something extra to carry around with you...

I guess I should play monks for a while, then try Carbon Fibre Man for a while longer, then go back to other characters and see if I have cured myself of packrat tendancies...

I hate leaving ammo behind. Or books. Or travellng in the wilderness without two climbing sets. And at least 4 back-ups of everything I might else I might use... and some stuff. And some more stuff. And loads of Si's, of course.
Portrait
exterminator
Registered user
Guerilla from the North

Last page view:

5776 days, 1 hour, 23 minutes and 46 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 at 07:37 (GMT -5)

I have same problems than vogonpoet.

With my current char I lured the dwarven smith out of his house, stored my stuff there and locked the door, but I'm worried about what to do when I advance deeper. There is too much potentially good stuff, and I don't even bother to pick up every single armour and weapon, even if there is a chance they have a nice suffix or something.

And my character's strenght doesn't seem to get up. I've been burdened or strained since the druid cave, and the strenght has not changed now, when I'm done almost every dwarftown quest.
Se parhaiten nauraa joka toiselle kuoppaa kaivaa.
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3088 days, 15 hours, 26 minutes and 38 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 at 08:00 (GMT -5)

My low St characters don't stay at low St, because I get them Strained ASAP, and it trains itself up to 16-19, depending on the potential, usually if the character starts with St ~9, it won't go up all the way to 18 before I get to the HMV and sell the unneeded stuff.

And late game, there should be no problem with that: girdles, orb of fire, gauntlets of strenght.
A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 at 09:19 (GMT -5)

While we're talking about weight, does any
one else find it funny that a loaf of bread
can weigh 40 stones and a suit of armor can
weigh 10?
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3088 days, 15 hours, 26 minutes and 38 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 at 09:49 (GMT -5)

Not really - mithril crafted by elves usually weigths about as much as 1/4th of a loaf of bread. ;)
But what I find interesting - a long sword should weigh ~1,5kg give or take 500g. It fits, as a two-handed sword is ~4kg, and the broad (bastard) sword should be about 3 kg.

If the bread weights that much in the draklor chain, then it's no wonder so many die of starvation.
AND - what kind of IRON RATION weights as much as an iron shield?! A dinner for four, oven included? ;)
A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 12/12/2007 at 09:58 (GMT -5) by Maelstrom]
F50
Registered user

Last page view:

5447 days, 11 hours, 22 minutes and 54 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 at 11:07 (GMT -5)

/|\ 
 |
 |
 |

My new sig

"If the bread weights that much in the draklor chain, then it's no wonder so many die of starvation.
AND - what kind of IRON RATION weights as much as an iron shield?! A dinner for four, oven included? ;)"

-Maelstrom
noob
Registered user

Last page view:

5899 days, 23 hours, 9 minutes and 42 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 at 11:58 (GMT -5)

well - it's indeed an IRON ration (makes perfectly sense since you will need lots of iron to make up for the massive blood losses during an adom game)
;)
isn't like 1s ~ 10g ?
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4210 days, 19 hours, 57 minutes and 26 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 at 12:41 (GMT -5)

1s doesn't mean one stone - there's a specific conversion that TB mentions in the manual. However rations are still insanely heavy. I can only assume they come with lots of heavy packaging to stop them ever going off.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Portrait
exterminator
Registered user
Guerilla from the North

Last page view:

5776 days, 1 hour, 23 minutes and 46 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 at 03:32 (GMT -5)

"And late game, there should be no problem with that: girdles, orb of fire, gauntlets of strenght."

Yes, but I find it annoying to waste an equipment slot or two just so you could carry all the stuff.
Se parhaiten nauraa joka toiselle kuoppaa kaivaa.
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4039 days, 20 hours, 39 minutes and 36 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 at 08:44 (GMT -5)

1 stone is exactly 50 metric grams, as it is explained in the FAQ included with the game.

He is German, after all - very practical for me ;)

An iron ration weighing 5 kilograms... That *is* hefty. A large ration weighing 10 kilograms is even more hefty, though.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
noob
Registered user

Last page view:

5899 days, 23 hours, 9 minutes and 42 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 at 14:32 (GMT -5)

Considering you can live on one for like 6 hours TB must have pretty unhealthy eating habits...
Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 at 21:15 (GMT -5)

I was just thinking, I could make my characters a lot more combat effective if I spent those 3 talents I'd use on carrying ones on something else. Even weapon affinities can help a lot in the early game (for stuff you know you'll be using a lot, like bows for instance or unarmed for monks/beastfighters).

I guess if I give up the carrying talents, I'll either have to let some stuff go or take extra time going back and forth to check it all out. That 1st girdle of carrying can't come soon enough. Even 18 Str only goes so far. Cleaning out lesser vaults can make for some tough choices as to what to do with the huge piles of loot.
"As for me, I feel priveleged to be among the only species able to make scientific inquiries." -unknown

Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 at 23:27 (GMT -5)

You don't need to pick up all the loot at once.
It will still be there when you come back from
selling off all your junk. When I'm fleeing for
my life from revenants (I really hate revenants)
in the early game, I will drop any thing I need
to, to get to unburdened status. The enemy will
pick it up, but I don't worry because I can
always kill him later, to get my stuff back.
This is useful for climbing sets especialy,
because they are heavy, and you don't need them
in the early game. Don't drop potions though,
because some monsters might drink them. If there
is anything worse than a revenant it's a revenant
that just quaffed your unidentified potions of
invisibility and gain attributes.
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5113 days, 1 hour, 51 minutes and 49 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 at 06:28 (GMT -5)

I very often get the carrying talents, but rarely at the very start. First priority is alert/heir if I'm taking it (before level 1). Then it's survival for 3-4 talents more. Most often this will be long stride, and then either DV-talents or PV ones. Affinity to a weapon I know I am gonna use a lot is actually somewhat smart at low level, +2 to hit is huge when your natural +hit is like +4. (Good examples are unarmed for a monk/beastfighter, polearm for most anything). Missile-users should get the +hit and dam talents pronto.

For the middle game, level 15+ I will very often get carrying talents, as my stuff will start to pile up. Monks will certainly get these talents every game as they have special penalties when burdened. Wizards might not, as they should be able to cast SoA when speed is needed, and keep SoA up indefinately when needed in the late-game. Beastfighters might not, as they do not need to carry much stuff (no need for weapons). High-STR races might not (Trolls).

Low-STR race does not exist in my vocabulary. Because at level 10, every char I play will have exercised STR up to at least 16. So that is not a factor for me.

EDIT: 10%, 20% and 30% gain mean, as the GB says, you should get them all if you are gonna get them. It also means that getting them in order is probably more efficient. So don't get the first at level 6, then screw around with missile, then get the others.
First one is 10%, 1+2=32%, 1+2+3 = 71,6%. See, the first one alone isn't much help at all.

Keep in mind the requirements, as they are somewhat unusual (many different stats count). Before taking the first one, you should have (or soonish) STR 8, DEX 10, LE 12, PE 12, WI 12, TO 12.

Trolls might have problems with LE, so don't get first if you can't increase that...

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 12/14/2007 at 06:35 (GMT -5) by Molach]
F50
Registered user

Last page view:

5447 days, 11 hours, 22 minutes and 54 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, December 16, 2007 at 00:40 (GMT -5)

if porter means the ability to pick up moloch armor... its much help (I admit it is not likely).
"If the bread weights that much in the draklor chain, then it's no wonder so many die of starvation.
AND - what kind of IRON RATION weights as much as an iron shield?! A dinner for four, oven included? ;)"

-Maelstrom
Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, December 16, 2007 at 04:50 (GMT -5)

With almost every new character, I get the Healthy talent, especially for those that don't start with Healing. What do people think of that one? From my personal experience, seems it speeds things up a bit, especially after I get beat up in the SMC or by Kranach and his gang.

Without that or the healing skill, I'm reduced to walking around in forest tiles, or holding down . in a locked room. Which still takes an annoying long time to get my health back up, and is extra annoying when the health gets lost again in a few hits.

Worst Player... ever
Registered user

Last page view:

4663 days, 19 hours, 50 minutes and 2 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 at 17:34 (GMT -5)

I like the porter talent, but I hardly ever take it.

I figure that I can always come back for items that I want to sell, and if I'm in a position where that would be inconvienient, I only grab stuff I think I'll be using, or stuff that has a high price/weight ratio.

I used to take 'Healthy' all the time, but to me it looks like the healing skill is much more effective and is the easiest talent in the game to acquire (besides pick pockets).

What I do is, if I have a character with 3 opening talents, I'll always pick alert/miser/treasure hunter.

If not, I go for speed... I love speed. To me, quick/very quick/greased lightning are VERY helpful. Long stride is nice too. With this, I can usually pick my battles. Being able to carry a lot of stuff won't help you if a lot of monsters are as fast or faster than you are. If I'm burdened I can drop stuff and run away if the situation calls for it.

I've not seen anyone else mention the speed talents though. Am I the only one who likes them?
Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 at 19:19 (GMT -5)

I like the speed talents also. It's just that around mid game or so, you can go to the bug temple or the quickling tree and boost your speed that way. The amount of speed you can get dwarfs the amount from the speed talents. Of course, if you want to survive the early game (and lets face it, a lot of early game characters don't) the speed talents are great at that point, giving you a large advantage over most everything you'll encounter.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: