Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Most epic battle to date...

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

psy_wombats
Registered user
Untitled

Last page view:

5336 days, 1 hour, 55 minutes and 25 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 at 21:58 (GMT -5)

Level 25 GE Wizard vs Greater Vault of Greater Undead
This has to be why I love ADOM. The ways of doing something so incredibly stupid and actually living through it involve the most creative methods.

I stumbled across this nasty beast on D:40 and decided, (quite stupidly), to give it a shot, despite numerous warnings from my wand of monster detection and the guidebook.

The outer layers were easy, however, the spectres began to get a bit experienced, and ghosts became quite deadly. However, with the elven lifespan decent spells, everything was quickly dispatched except the gooey center.

Luckily enough a spellbook shop was generated on D:25, which I teleported back to and proceeded to read the entire stock, restoring my PP in the process. Used a couple scrolls of peace to keep corruption down. (This happened several times. I also found a book of wish here once!) Oh and at two points this guy stopped restocking. Apparently this happens when they get the "Oh I'm so lonely" messages stuck on them. Odd.

Anyway, I decided that fireballing through walls was cheap, and opened both secret doors to the center chamber. Out flowed ten emperor liches and twelve kings. Yay.

Phase one: I teleported to one side and set up a ring of doors surrounding a haven. It was a heroic fight, but the character failed to hold the line against summoned giants and king liches, and fled in panic.

Eventually, I got to digging in from several areas of the other parts of the dungeon. From these, I rapidly cast magic missile on the hoardes of summoned beasts. I named all of the emperor liches, and when one approached, I teleported around wildly angling missiles at the advancing foe, and pausing to acid ball of summoned ghost lords. To provide space to heal at, I used up a few doors making havens to teleport to within the den of summons, who slowly bashed them down, leading to panic as I randomly teleported into crowds of WMoPC. Slowly, the emperors all died, and I concentrated on taking the lone king holding the remnants of my initial sanctuary. He fell to my four greater earth elemental companions.

Next, I launched the assault on the core itself, hacing sealed it off earlier with doors. I fireballed outside to open up space, (as the last emperor within had filled it up with weak summons), and teleported inside. I proceeded to wreak havoc with my +90 Magic Missile with range 27. Very much fun, although I almost died twice to being confused while death rays were flying at me very rapidly.

At last, the battle was over. Inside I discovered Thunderstroke and Grod. Just what I always wanted...?
WHEN WOMBATS STRIKE!
Enjoy your last days...
dopefish7590
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 at 23:40 (GMT -5)

nice :)

i havent ever beaten ADOM but ive gotten quite close (d:48), i would have made it, my char was killed by a game crash... epic, i think not :(

my most epic fight would have to be a level 2 pc vs diamond golem in the small cave at the beginning of the game, i ran (of course) and changed my tactics to coward, but had nowhere else to go, i was playing as a human paladin. i had not a hope in hell, except for a scroll that was on the floor. I read it hoping it would help. well it was a nice scroll, but compleately useless (a scroll of identity). the golem came in, i ran past it, got hit so that my health was deadly low. I ran for an area i hadent explored for a chance to escape or find a scroll to help, well. i found a spellbook of magic missile. not very useful for a paladin. granted they do have some mp, but not a lot. this thing was blessed but still, no magic missile was going to help me at point blank and while it was in range, it doesnt do very much damage. I was next to the hall and fired the magic missile @ the golem and quickly ran back up into the corner, i found a secret room, i was there in the corner waiting for the health to go up a bit more, not alot. after a while i finally got out to check the situation. no golem... nothing, i explored a bit more to find the staircase. i found it, with a few wounded giant ant warriors and a mess of workers, the queen was out... did they kill the golem... im not sure but im pretty sure they did. i easily killed the giant ant warriors in the halls with the magic missile and i bezerked a few Giant ant workers easily (thank goodness i had a higher speed score then them). that is my most epic battle with a low level pc.

i may not have killed my opponent, but i certantly survived it
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4068 days, 4 hours, 41 minutes and 11 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 at 07:58 (GMT -5)

It probably was a really low-level diamond golem, I couldn't imagine ants beating it otherwise.

This is a very good example of how to survive in ADOM: When faced with trouble, run the hell away!
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

4897 days, 6 hours, 15 minutes and 57 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 at 21:37 (GMT -5)

I have a fun adventure that doesn't
exactly fit with an 'epic battle'
theme.
However it fits perfectly with the
'doing something so incredibly stupid
and actually living through it' theme.

My goal was to teleport raid Darkforge
with an exp. level 1 PC. That meant
using a mindcrafter, because only they
start with teleport control. I used a
grey elf because of their natural
dodging ability. I would generate
characters until I got one that started
with a wand of teleportation. I would
also try, if I got a wand of item
detection, or a scroll of magic mapping,
because I could try to get the guaranteed
wand from the VDDL. I started the game on
new year's eve for the 6 blessed potions
of booze, to recharge my wand with.

I died so many times before actually doing
it. Many PC's almost made it, even equipping
the looted weapons and armor, only to have
their heads handed to them on the way up the
staircase. Eventually I did it though, and
got to procede through the early game, weilding
an eternium two-handed sword and eternium
armor. Victory was sweet.
Put me in the 'fool filter', where I belong!
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5663 days, 22 hours, 53 minutes and 21 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 at 14:31 (GMT -5)

Heh, that sounds kind of fun :) A decent bonus to balance the fact that mindcrafters are kind of weak to start with.
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Zombie_Punk
Registered user

Last page view:

5478 days, 21 hours, 35 minutes and 52 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, December 22, 2007 at 05:43 (GMT -5)

My current character is dealing with a karmic greater vault. A few levels above is an undead greater vault to deal with later. Fortunately there's only one emperor lich in it.
psy_wombats
Registered user
Untitled

Last page view:

5336 days, 1 hour, 55 minutes and 25 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, December 22, 2007 at 07:17 (GMT -5)

Lucky... The greater undead vault is the only one my character got throughout the entire game. A karmic one would've been quite easy for the character described above actually, as MM had a power of 90+.
WHEN WOMBATS STRIKE!
Enjoy your last days...
zv_not_logged_in
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, December 22, 2007 at 08:52 (GMT -5)

fun :)

my most epic battle involved a Greater Undead Vault too. I didn't use any clever tactics though and I can't decide how silly it was - judge for yourself:
I did it with a True Berserking Gnomish Barbarian (after winning and with Vanquisher). The best moment was when I was thinking that these 2 brown @'s next to my gnome were cavemen, when in fact they were doppleganger kings :) Still, dopplers or not, Vanquisher they did not have. Probably funnest (and most epic) battle in my whole ADOM career. Though clearing D:50 in the same way was good too.
Jonathon
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 at 00:18 (GMT -5)

Killing the Cat Lord with a level 36 Gnomish wizard is my greatest battle. I got him to follow me up the stairs so I could teleport away. I'd hit him with death days before teleporting to heal. When I finally killed him, I went up to 40.
Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

4598 days, 18 hours, 4 minutes and 15 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 at 01:01 (GMT -5)

hmmm, death days? Are those like mondays, or more like holidays?
"As for me, I feel priveleged to be among the only species able to make scientific inquiries." -unknown

"Be sure to keep your distance if you don't have resistance." -DG
Jonathon
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 at 02:56 (GMT -5)

Hey, Garfield hate mondays ;)

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: