Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / How about Guide for Priests ?

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Sardaukar
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 at 07:23 (GMT -5)

I usually play Priests (Grey Elven Priest is my favourite), sometimes Barbarians.

I like Priests vs. Wizards because they are bit more martial and have that useful Detect Item Status-skill. It can be very good in early game. And they start with Music too.

Also they have chance to get some quite nice weaponry vs. undead etc. and their class level powers are nice too.

Furthest in game I have gotten is up to Cat Lord...with Grey Elven Barbarian, no less...

So, maybe someone more knowledgeable would like to write a Priest Guide ?
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

5826 days, 14 hours and 44 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 at 07:28 (GMT -5)

There is one problem with the priest destroying undead. Like oh so many other abilities, I think the lvl40 and lvl50 class powers come too late. At lvl40 who can't defeat hordes of those monsters? The lvl50 class power might let you banish some powerful undead nasties but everyone is quite good at that point. The spell cost reduction is good though.
Gray elven barbarian? To quote a guide from Silfir's site: "whereas the other races taught them not to be sucky Barbarians" :D
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
http://www.mindistortion.net/iwantyoursoul/?i_am=Darkcutter
Sardaukar
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 at 08:02 (GMT -5)

Yes, I know that those class powers come bit too late...but every bit counts in that stage :)

And Purifier & Justifier are nice weapons to have, even when not in class of Vanguisher..but nice anyhow.

Well..with GE barbarian..it was nice to have Literacy..and he turned out quite good :)
Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

4598 days, 7 hours, 48 minutes and 19 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 at 15:08 (GMT -5)

As far as GE being sucky barbarians, like any class, a bit of work and the stats go up. Early game, until you get some decent equipment, is the hardest, being a melee class with low strength and toughness. The nice thing about low stats, is that they improve faster, and the other stats are quite good usually. 20 starting dex or 15+ learning wouldn't be unheard of. A bit of weight training and some herbs later, you've got yourself a decent barbarian.

Skillset, not the greatest, other than dodge and literacy. I admit. In that respect, they are sucky.

I played a GE priest recently, and that class truly shined. I started out with a longbow +2+2, and 14 +3 to hit arrows. Starting strength was lousy, but before I knew it, it was up to 16.
"As for me, I feel priveleged to be among the only species able to make scientific inquiries." -unknown

"Be sure to keep your distance if you don't have resistance." -DG
Sardaukar
Registered user

Last page view:

5629 days, 22 hours, 5 minutes and 31 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2007 at 03:52 (GMT -5)

One trouble with Priest-class is that sometimes I have trouble to find offensive spellbooks. Last game I found 8 spellbooks with no offensive capability...grr.. Was promptly killed when having to rely on melee and ranged combat only and wiht no luck finding shield.

One good thing with HE/GE Priests is that they are usually equipped with good bow and are decent archers too. 0,+5 elven armour is very nice too..sometimes had it even 0,+7... Add to that Dodge and good Dex, you have decent if fragile melee fighter. Only thing they really need to find early is decent shield. Many Priests also start with 2d4+2 (many times 2d4+5) flail...very nice training for weapon marks if lucky to be crowned with Purifier mace with it's Demon/Undead/unliving slaying capabilities.

And Priests have both Music and start with instrument..so less trouble with those pesky cats.
Only thing I miss is Alertness, which is nice...but if really wanting that, could play Dark Elven Priest or Drakeling, for example. Drakelings have that useful acid spit too when you just have trouble to find offensive spells.

I'm just too fixed to few races as priests, so I'm not qualified to make a Priest Guide. And I have never won the game despite playing since 0.99gsomething version :) I'd be very thankful if someone would make this guide :)I have my own preferences, but more rational "outside" view would be welcome.
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4067 days, 18 hours, 25 minutes and 15 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2007 at 04:55 (GMT -5)

Turns out I haven't won with priests yet either, so I'm automatically failing my self-imposed criteria for when I start writing a guide.

Though I'd wager that if I've won with druids, I can win with priests as well...
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: