Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Equipping Hawkslayer......

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

rmcin329
Registered user

Last page view:

5215 days, 18 hours, 44 minutes and 19 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 at 17:50 (GMT -5)

i know that you can get him to equip a cloak, boots, gauntlets and shield before recruiting him. What i want to know is will he use artifacts? And if he will, does he still gain resistances/other effects that they grant? Take the artifact shield "Rolf's savior" for example, i was thinking of equipping him with this, but will he gain the resistance bonuses from it? If not then i think i'd rather smith up a tower mithril shield i have for him, to get him more DV/PV. What do you all think?
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5664 days, 52 minutes and 54 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 at 21:54 (GMT -5)

This would be At what stage of the game are you? Is your char lvl high enough for him to join? If it is, I think you should make a little bit of research on this: make a save before giving him anything, then savescum a bit. Try blasting him with wands of fire/cold with rolf's savior and without and see if there's a difference.

I don't know if the guidebook is still updated, but something like this would be a nice little addition to it IMO :)
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
rmcin329
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 at 22:12 (GMT -5)

Nope not high enough yet, but i will be eventually. I was hoping someone might already know the answer to this. I have spells i could test on him myself, but just due to my extreme mana attribute even a +0 spell would probably have some ease affecting him. A uncursed wand like you were suggesting would be ideal, but i've no such wand currently, maybe i will by that time. I'll run some tests on him when i get that far i suppose. In all truth since you have to "equip him" before you recruit him, i could just go there now, equip him, and run tests on him. I just don't really feel like bothering till i can actually get him, which is 8 lvls away at 25(currently lvl 17) i've tried to get him sooner, far as i know its not possible sooner then lvl 25.
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5664 days, 52 minutes and 54 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 at 22:41 (GMT -5)

I tried it, I have a copy of a lvl 50 wizard(wi:75,ma:95) for testing.

1)I hit hawkslayer with a blessed wand of cold, took 4 shots to kill him.(moderetly injured->severely->critically->dead)

2)Dropped elemental gauntlets, which he picked up, then put on after I asked him to follow me. Took 4 shots of the wand to kill him.(moderetely injured->severely->critically->dead)

Tried 2 times each, same results. So it seems he(or any other monster for that matter?) doesn't gain resistances from items :(
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
rmcin329
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 at 23:44 (GMT -5)

Yes that could be, or it could simply be he didn't have enough resistance for it to be noticeable. For example, what if he was given say, the shield rolf's savior AND the elemental gauntlets, effictivly granting him more resistance. Artifact cloaks and/or boots could also possibly be thrown in, to give him even more resistance items. Honestly with your listed amount of trys and items, i dont consider it enough to be a valid assessment. But thanks for taking a look anyways. Another thought is if his lvl is in any way related to this as well. However i don't plan to try to make some low lvl(lower then i am now i mean) char to get to him with the shield rolf's savior, and the elemental gauntlets....if i did a troll would be best i suppose for the slow lvling and crappy mana stat. In any case i may run some tests on him myself when i get around to recruiting him. In all honesty though, i suspect i'll just end up smithing a nice pair of boots, a shield, some gauntlets, and hope to find some decent cloak, for him. I'm quite certain i can smith the mithril tower shield i currently have with me, to higher stats, then rolf's savior. Just need to pay glod to learn smithing, and kill kherab(or whatever his name is) in darkforge for an anvil and hammer. As a side note i was already down there to steal the crown of science, minature gold stash and raid the weapon/armor stashes, though i didnt' kill anything(used the teleport spell and teleport control :D)
Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

4598 days, 20 hours, 3 minutes and 48 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 at 01:06 (GMT -5)

When it comes to cold, one level of resistance makes a big difference. Same with poison and acid. I don't know if all elements have 4 tiers or whatever like fire does. I do know that with one level of cold resistance, you can pretty much laugh off ogre magi bolts, dragon breath, vortices.

So, I think if Hawkslayer got resistance from an artifact, it would be quite obvious.
"As for me, I feel priveleged to be among the only species able to make scientific inquiries." -unknown

"Be sure to keep your distance if you don't have resistance." -DG
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3117 days, 1 hour, 27 minutes and 46 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 at 06:21 (GMT -5)

If Hawkslayer could get immunities and resistances off artefacts, then there's a use for the Shield of Raw Steel.
A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

5827 days, 2 hours, 16 minutes and 13 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 at 06:47 (GMT -5)

There already is. Demented Ratling, much? (Okay, so angering the denizens of Terinyo and Dwarftown may not be worth it, but I think Thrundarr can be lured with Ventriloquism...)
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
http://www.mindistortion.net/iwantyoursoul/?i_am=Darkcutter
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

5765 days, 11 hours, 33 minutes and 54 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 at 08:19 (GMT -5)

Monsters don't gain resistances from items. How I know this: I once killed Khelavaster with Burning Hands when he was wielding the Trident. The Trident grants fire immunity.
nobody
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 at 17:47 (GMT -5)

I just realized, monsters don't have differing levels of resistances like the PC does, they are immune to an element, or take damage from it. Then there's the possibility of being vulnerable to something.

But I think this would be a nice little addition to the game, if monsters could gain those resistances. There was something about that 1.1.2 version on adom.de, right? :) Probably would require quite a bit of coding, seeing how different from the player the monster resitances seem to be.. Maybe in JADE, heh..
rmcin329
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 at 19:25 (GMT -5)

I have seen(its been a very long time though since i only recently picked up playing again) monsters evade each others breath attacks before.
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 at 19:53 (GMT -5)

Evading is evading - It comes from DV and you can do it too (much more with the help of Alertness and a high Dx score).
Resistance is being hit and taking less damage.
A realist sees a train.
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4239 days, 5 hours, 58 minutes and 34 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 at 00:52 (GMT -5)

Monsters are coded very differently from the PC, and only recently could even pick up and equip items. I think in JADE it's going to be designed such that every monster is coded like a PC in terms of stats, inventory etc (meaning that every monster will be wearing clothes/armour/etc, though it'll mostly be poor stuff).
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
rmcin329
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 at 03:25 (GMT -5)

Hmmn basically the ending conclusion here is, smith up some items for hawkslayer to use, and find some other use(maybe demented ratling fodder) for the shield rolf's savior.
Just Lurking
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 at 18:38 (GMT -5)

Does fire immunity help for burning hands
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4068 days, 6 hours, 40 minutes and 44 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 at 19:33 (GMT -5)

Of course it does. Those enemies that are intrinsically immune to fire will not be damaged by Burning Hands.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
AshenPlanet
Registered user

Last page view:

3177 days, 19 hours, 22 minutes and 16 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 at 16:23 (GMT -5)

How about speed?
Will he gain +30 speed from the hide boots?
Nezur
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 at 13:53 (GMT -5)

Hardly. I think I once equipped an ancient karmic wyrm with a speed-increasing item or two. It did not seem to move any faster.
Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

4598 days, 20 hours, 3 minutes and 48 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 at 16:22 (GMT -5)

I think the only bonus NPCs get from picking up and equipping items is DV/PV.
"As for me, I feel priveleged to be among the only species able to make scientific inquiries." -unknown

"Be sure to keep your distance if you don't have resistance." -DG
AshenPlanet
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 at 10:42 (GMT -5)

Strange, because I have seen a greater moloch pick up moloch armor, and be GREATLY affected by it's speed modifier.
So, at least some monsters can get speed from equiped items...

It is a possibility that it was the dex modifier from the moloch armor that affected the greater moloch, and not the speed modifier, but considering what happened to the greater moloch, I suspect that it was the speed.
Either way, he did get affected by something other than dv/pv...
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 at 08:25 (GMT -5)

There are a few threads on GMs wearing moloch armour. It doesn't change it's speed, since that bug has been "fixed", but it grants the moloch a stupid amount of energy to spend on moves, which has the same effect.
Only if wears off if you find a way to contain the moloch - like a river.
A realist sees a train.
AshenPlanet
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 at 00:46 (GMT -5)

Interesting.

If not the speed or dex, what gives them the stupid amount of energy, and why don't they get it when they equip an eternium plate mail?
Do you think hawkslayer would get extra energy when equipping the hide boots?
You mentioned that it wears off after awhile, can you elaborate?

I tried doing a search for moloch armor, moloch armor dex, moloch armor speed on this forum, but only got a bunch of character guides and victory posts...

At the end of the search, I saw a post by you which read:
"I have a flg on I58, killed by a greater moloch, who picked up a moloch armor and equipped it.
Integer overflow, speed as close to infinity as possible in adom.

Was that from before you knew about the energy thing?
THC842
Registered user

Last page view:

4486 days, 5 hours, 34 minutes and 34 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 at 09:46 (GMT -5)

is there an EXP. increase because of said energy boost? In other words, is the GM equipping Moloch armor equivalent to a player casting slow monster on themselves.
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 at 12:51 (GMT -5)

No, it's a bug that's been "fixed" - they get the overflow speed for an moment, which is then corrected.
It was supposed to work, it doesn't and we get super-molochs that are as fast as the game engine allows, for no visible reason.
A realist sees a train.
AshenPlanet
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 at 14:58 (GMT -5)

hmmm, so creatures do get speed bonus/penalty when equiping speed items, even if only for a moment in the GMoloch's case.

Was this fix applied to every monster that equips a speed item, or just to GMolochs?
Also, does the fix only correct overflows or does it remove all speed adjustments?
nymersic
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, October 16, 2010 at 16:21 (GMT -5)

I shall continue this dead thread, as I have some interest in it...
When you look at a monster to find out [M]ore about it, you can see its speed. If it is a one-of-a-kind, you'll only see one speed, which will show up the first turn you see a monster make ("The burly adventurer has an average speed of 115."). If a monster's speed changes, such as [theoretically] after wearing moloch armor, you'll be able to look at it and see its new speed. If the speed changed, it would show a speed range, and a new average. The reason I mention how you only see the speed attribute of a monster after it gets a turn is this notion of greater molochs having just one turn of super speed. Is this really the case?
What I don't understand is that equipping monsters either always just gives them DV/PV, or it always gives them "more". Do they get the speed/dex from moloch armors? If they don't, what could possibly cause the molochs with moloch armor to become quickling molochs? (Inventory Overburdened! status? doubt it)
I tried giving some blessed 7lb to Hawkslayer, thinking that would be glorious (he could actually almost keep up with me after I ate a hundred and fifty greater claw bugs!? Yeah, I've used wishes on Food Preservation). Regrettably I saw no effect; but if moloch superspeed comes from "stupid amounts of energy to spend on moves", then I'd think 7lb would have to affect monsters as well, seeing as it changes movement energy requirements.
Of course, the boots didn't have any effect. Rings of speed didn't increase his speed. The guidebook says he can only wear boots/gloves/cloaks/shields, but that's inaccurate. The only thing I haven't gotten him to use are weapons. He just seems fickle about it. I've dropped full sets of equipment next to him, and sometimes he'll pick it up and only wear boots/gloves/cloaks/shields, and nothing else (always those 4 together though, strange), and sometimes he'll wear a lot more. He only ever picks up/wears 4 items per his turn, though.
Perhaps the 'bug that has been "fixed"' was simply to not have monsters gain any extra bonuses from eq anymore. I've never seen this ridiculously fast monster bug that I've seen some people report with molochs, and even with hawkslayer wearing moloch armor. Regrettably I have no moloch armor handy. Does this just happen in pre-1.1.1 versions?
I'm just curious as to the whole mechanism of this.
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4239 days, 5 hours, 58 minutes and 34 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, October 16, 2010 at 21:48 (GMT -5)

Moloch armour bug still happens in latest versions. It's nothing to do with speed actually, but simply the action cost of putting on an armour piece. Currently it's linked to item weight, so it takes quite a long time to put on a suit of moloch armour for the player. For a monster it takes such a high energy cost that it loops round and gives them a big pile of "free" energy cost, letting them take lots of turns at once. After this is expended they go back to normal (though presumably with more PV from the moloch armour).

Most item stats, resistances, etc don't affect monsters. Just the basic DV/PV values.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
ForceUser
Registered user

Last page view:

4825 days, 7 hours, 45 minutes and 20 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, February 04, 2011 at 08:58 (GMT -5)

*uses his necromancy skill to raise the thread*

Dont know if this is just in the new win beta 4 but hawkslayer equipped boots, gauntlets, cloak, shield as well as a helmet (iron crown) eternium girdle and eternium plate. he did not equip a spear or bracers.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: