Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / zen monk revisited

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 2 pages long.
Go to page 1 2
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4232 days, 16 hours, 40 minutes and 52 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 at 13:53 (GMT -5)

So does the necklace of the eye let you se things when blind?
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
noob
Registered user

Last page view:

5921 days, 19 hours, 53 minutes and 8 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 at 16:28 (GMT -5)

What's that all about?
How do you actually become permanently blind?

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/5/2008 at 16:29 (GMT -5) by noob]
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3110 days, 12 hours, 10 minutes and 4 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 at 16:37 (GMT -5)

Mud bath room.
A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

4890 days, 18 hours, 57 minutes and 48 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 at 04:14 (GMT -5)

Soirana:
I wonder, what is the effect of having
a lit torch in the tool slot. It
normally increases your visible radius
by a few squares, but I'm curious as
to it's effect with a blind character.
Would it allow the PC to 'see' things,
like the necklace of the eye does?

Put me in the 'fool filter', where I belong!
Soirana unplugged
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 at 07:10 (GMT -5)

no. even blessed torch. even combined with neclace does nothing.

back to char - herbs are stabilized (well i lost spenseweed square somehow, but 3xstoma and stat square are doing fine so far.) I also enclosed half of D5 with locked doors giving me some free time for harvesting (manipulating herbs with blind char was extremely masochistic).

Also i've got herbalism installed on Zen Monk. Black druid wasn't that problematic except me not nbringing torch in (somehow even blind char cannot shoot in darkness:(). I've sold druid's corpse to shop until time i have at least wand of monster detection.

Bad news: I've run into karmic lizard on d6 getting my ass cursed.
Even worse i've just learned stuff cannot be dipped in potions while blind (message: "you don't see enough".) This means no scrolls of uncursing and no holy water. That is getting tough.

Somehow i think i'll spend lot of times harvesting stoma (eating cursed one i guess). I really need divine uncursing both for items and char. And precrown wouldn't hurt ever.

p.s. holy water is such a loss. char has two uncursed PoGA in backpack. Sniff.
p.p.s. i have real fear even to think about crossing big room with blind cursed character with no means of teleportation.
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 at 10:26 (GMT -5)

That is quite strange about a blind PC not being
able to shoot in the dark.

Do you mean the big room or the animated forest?
If you mean animated forest, teleportation might
not be that big of a help anyway. It seems to me
most of the time I try to teleport to the down
staircase, there is a tree on it, so I get
redirected. I imagine that would be quite bad for
a blind PC. Anyway I'm amazed that you have gotten
this far.
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 at 06:25 (GMT -5)

You can't get shield skill increases when blind? Doesn't make a hell of a lot of sense, but there do seem to be a huge number of obstacles you're facing... One possibility though - using shields as missiles nets you marks. If you want to gain a few levels through desperate means then put a stack of small shields in your missile slot and fire those at enemies. ...The very image of this is insane.

Pyramid will be difficult with traps. Arena on the other hand would be fairly manageable. Would be nice to get the proper dwarven quest for it though. No teleport control at the moment I presume? I'd recommend scumming herbs with starvation and sickness more - your char needs all the help he can get, and as you say you have no other use for the holy water. More precrowns might also be helpful, and crowning too at some point.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
noob
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 at 06:53 (GMT -5)

That's really some sick challenge. But it would be really amazing if you could make it! More precrowns / crwoning sounds like a good idea for a blind char. Also I think pools for petrification and paralyzation resistence are getting increasing priority. I would do the forest - dwarwen halls are pure death (I'm everytime surprised how less of a tank characters turn actually to be in there...). The forest on the other hand is quite easy with teleportation although you might have to use up some charges before hitting the staircase being empty (but even the random teleport could bring you pretty near).

...and after many years (your character already being an old man) your tormented monk suddenly discovers that it was only some dirt covering his eyes and he went blind his whole life without any reason...
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 at 07:34 (GMT -5)

Can you kick down the walls of the dwarven elder's hut? Cause otherwise even with the teleportation wand you'll have a tough time having to go in all the time. And you need to get in at some point for the portal quest.

Pyramid sounds like a decent plan, though mummy sickness may be an issue. I assume you've farmed some curaria? If you can get to the verge of level 16/17 then you could maybe try for a precrown inside the pyramid. Will laugh if you get black tome though - truly the most useless item it's possible for you to get...

Have you given any thought to late game problems? Crossing the forest is obviously going to be horrendous, but there are far worse challenges in store. Corruption in particular will be a terrible burden - you can't read scrolls to remove them.

Would be nice to see a demo of your guy in action some time - I'm curious as to what exactly you get to see when playing him, and what sort of mesages you receive.
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5657 days, 11 hours, 35 minutes and 12 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 at 08:31 (GMT -5)

Blind chars don't get to see the dwarven elder? What's that all about?
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
vogonpoet
Registered user

Last page view:

4950 days, 11 minutes and 36 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 at 09:37 (GMT -5)

How did you start your game up anyway - was it just a case of exploring ID1 until you got blind, whilst trying not to gain too much XP, and not picking anything up (apart from food I guess, no point dying of starvation at this point)?
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 at 12:38 (GMT -5)

Why would you have trouble staying the same alignment? There's nothing hugely chaotic you're going to do really.

Teleport trap was a good idea. Do the guards let you walk out of his building?
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 at 15:14 (GMT -5)

Like running into Khelly or Eternal Guardian? Could be trouble... Sounds like maintaining N would be easier.
Portrait
zv
Registered user

Last page view:

5653 days, 16 hours, 56 minutes and 13 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 at 09:33 (GMT -5)

Wouldn't N be even worse? You can't create an alignment buffer by going to L+ and I believe alignment drops are the same.
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 at 10:03 (GMT -5)

Alignment drops aren't the same, as far as I'm aware. A lot of things only count as chaotic if lawfuls do them, or affect lawfuls worse than N or C characters.
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4061 days, 17 hours, 23 minutes and 2 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 at 10:59 (GMT -5)

Khelly is always on D:16 on top of that.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
noob
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 at 14:28 (GMT -5)

Hey Soirana - you could cross the forest by kicking yourself a tunnel around the level. If you are still able to "n"ame trace monsters it shouldn't be harder than usual the normal way, too. Teleportities wouldn't hurt either. Did you get "see invisible" yet - is there some effect to it?

And do attacks on friendlies even count as chaotic act while blind?
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5657 days, 11 hours, 35 minutes and 12 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 at 21:32 (GMT -5)

If you find a whip of slaughtering, then whipping is a decent way to get lawful. Your char might be so tough late game that normal whips wouldn't do any damage. Giving food(=stomafillia) to beggars is another way, just treat it as another precrowning in terms of herbs needed :)
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 at 02:15 (GMT -5)

A blind monk giving charity to beggars... Hah... If you're a character's too tough to take damage from a whip you can make him sick or starved or wear a ring of doom to bring down the PV. But if a white altar presents itself then obviously saccing on it (with the right precautions) is the quickest way to move up to L.
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4061 days, 17 hours, 23 minutes and 2 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 at 12:54 (GMT -5)

Say, what happens if you're blind due to mud and get hit in the face by another glob of mud?
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

4142 days, 21 hours, 57 minutes and 43 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 at 15:35 (GMT -5)

No idea. But char is dead.
A root is a flower that disdains fame.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 at 14:53 (GMT -5)

Damn :( What happened? You gonna try again at some point?
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 at 15:23 (GMT -5)

Overconfidence.

More directly steel zombie and wererat in corridor. Yet i had enough spenseweed and good relations with gods. Only... I forgot to look at my hitpoints:(

And i won't go for this in the nearest future. Had enough.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 at 16:39 (GMT -5)

Damn, you could really do with access to holy water and scrolls... Some nice finds in there - gotta wonder straight off why you're not wearing that shield and you haven't gotten your shield skill up. Going for the monk bonus DV instead? Is that actually worth more?

You should likely down those potions of strength right now. Troll blood too. If you're a gambling man then you might even want to down the exchange potion in the hopes of it transferring the high Perception onto something useful. Of course you could just end up with 15 To and 33 Ma...

Lightning ball is handy to have as a back-up offense. I'd recommend you use up your wands of wonder in the wilderness in the hopes of getting other such useful spells. You might even get teleport. Any chance of kicking down all the walls in the dusty dungeon to get the teleport wand there?

You are strong enough to take on DarkForge with the orcish spear and your current PV. Main problem is the lack of fireproof equipment. Probably not worth the risk right now. Getting puppy cave open is definitely a good plan - I imagine cursed wand of monster detect should work just fine.

Did you generate SMC at level 1? If not I guess UD is closed forever, which is a shame...

Animated forest should be pretty easy with wall-kicking and door creation. If you want the dwarven rewards, and don't mind the risk of plunging deeper, then give it some serious thought. I thought you couldn't speak with Thrundarr though? Doesn't that close off Griffyard for now too?

Taming Big Room is too much effort. You don't want to risk a catastrophe with breeders, and there may not even be any herbs left. Having said that though, there is a decent chance of some herbs being left alive somewhere, so you can create a sustained bush with your holy water.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 12/9/2008 at 16:40 (GMT -5) by Darren Grey]
vogonpoet
Registered user

Last page view:

4950 days, 11 minutes and 36 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 at 04:26 (GMT -5)

I reckon kick-tunelling the AF seems like pretty good plan right now - if you can door off the stairs (!oInvis worthwhile here?) and make your tunnel, then case solved, all you will ever need to do is kill the odd regenerated tree as you pass through again, and failing that, and if its too crowded to door off, it just means accessing your tunnel will be rather bloody/sappy each time - at least the ends of the tunnel should be easy enough to seal.

You will have to cross eventually anyway, and the spear will make fairly short work of individual trees...
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 at 08:38 (GMT -5)

Brinkster episode Number two

In which I discover I am not that much screwed and fix that.

Very short update. I went for shop restock. Bought boost speed as this is closest to emergency solution.

On way i thanked i forced myself keep all doors closed. Took out werewolf lord.

I also moved to C due to killing dwarf. I always tried to bring them back to dwartown. but... I cant see if it is two guys going down and one up.

When i procedeed with CoC recheck and...
and...
and...
Finally in D7 i hit "someting seems being growing here"

Stopped here as for playing with herbs i need to be in good shape. Will continue tomorrow.

Thanks for advice, guys:) But i guess i did it as always. In my way.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 at 04:18 (GMT -5)

Further screw up.

At cost of six holy water i stabilsed stat herbs. Just RNG did not give up either. An ogre (I believe so) smashed door and lightning vortex took down my farm.

Is till had two bushes, but... Two remaining pots failed to work and when i returned with more... I had bad feeling i've lost another herb supportive level.

Besides jacklas are becoming an issue.

My plan is:
Kick explore D5 (unknown altar there)
Zap wand of wonder in teleport trap dungeon (hoping to get magic map)
Use wand of monster det to open puppy cave.

Good news is i got some morgia and nailed few [points of toughnes. I also got rid of cursed bracers. IIRC, Waldenbrook had better ones +4PV.

More bad news my amulet of protection is gone too. I am sticking with amulet of death resist for not having anything better.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 at 05:49 (GMT -5)

I may have lost track a bit, but have you already
visited the High King's dungeon. If not, I really
think you should try (at least) the first level.
It is possible to get herbs there, and it's not
corrupting. I know some baddies may show up there,
but they could show up anywhere. Who knows, you
might find a horde of herbs and a breeder. You'll
never know until you look : )
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 at 17:46 (GMT -5)

You could have used a sticker on your monitor instead of a marker, or even just hovered your mouse pointer in the right place :P

If you want that key from Skriek be sure not to kill Hotzy first. Hotzy's quite a risk to go for anyway... I'm sure an amulet of order or a whip will come your way at some point.

Can you get into the dwarven graveyard? If so I think it would make a good next stop. What are your considerations for the pyramid?
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2008 at 01:59 (GMT -5)

Griffyard - no idea. But i had no problems entering druid cave or puppy cave which are not originally on map. So probably yes.

Pyramid - I amassed some inv pots... Just I thought of taking fireball from dwarf wand just in case. Still have two full levels of xp to play with.

Overall my devastating spear is blessed. So going for corner and fighting manually without invisiblity is another option.

The fact i will not know there downstaris is. makes me at least very angry.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
Go to page 1 2

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: