Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Yggaz the fool

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 2 pages long.
Go to page 1 2
rmcin329
Registered user

Last page view:

5188 days, 11 hours, 45 minutes and 20 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 at 03:13 (GMT -5)

I know you can get random potions by giving him a potion of booze, but i was curious about some in particular. For example does the status of the potion of booze given to him seem to matter at all? Also i was wondering if he can grant you potions of cure corruption, longevity, and raw mana. Also wondering if he will grant say stat increasing potions like strength, toughness etc etc. Details on this matter would be greatly appreciated.
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4211 days, 22 hours, 59 minutes and 35 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 at 04:24 (GMT -5)

It's always random, unaffected by status of the booze. Stat potions, PoCC, PoGA, longevity etc are all possible. I think the only impossible ones are ultra healing and quickling blood (and booze of course). Carrot juice and invisibility tend to be the most likely ones though - quite handy actually if you have good recipes for them with alchemy.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
noob
Registered user

Last page view:

5901 days, 2 hours, 11 minutes and 51 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 at 06:41 (GMT -5)

I don't think it's completely random (at least he has preferences for certain potions). Like Darren told invisibility, c-juice are very common also charisma potential, healing, gain ability and exchange. On the other hand some other !s are quite rare (or exclusive?). Good investment in any case.
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 at 11:44 (GMT -5)

I mean random as in the same probability of a random potion in a dungeon.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

4571 days, 13 hours, 4 minutes and 49 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 at 02:30 (GMT -5)

Wouldn't it be better to save the potions of booze for wands? Most notably, wand of paralyzation, wand of poison, wand of cold, wand of acid, wand of teleportation, wand of detect monsters, ect?
"As for me, I feel priveleged to be among the only species able to make scientific inquiries." -unknown

"Be sure to keep your distance if you don't have resistance." -DG
rmcin329
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 at 02:36 (GMT -5)

wands of paralyzation aren't needed when you have the web spell, and its easy(well as a wizard lol) to be more effective then various wands as a wizard, with some built up spells learned from books. True building them takes time, but its well worth it. As for wands of teleportation.....bah i have the teleport spell it works great. As for monster detect wands.....bah never bother with em much.
Gozer
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 at 04:42 (GMT -5)

IMO, wands of paralyzation beat the web spell hands down.
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

4870 days, 1 hour, 16 minutes and 31 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 at 05:20 (GMT -5)

Wands of poison rule!

Even as a wizard, if you are not using your
wands, you are handicapping yourself.

Webbing works great against some monsters, but
really fast (or strong) monsters just break out
of them too quickly. The Cat Lord comes to mind!
Also webbing doesn't work on grassy squares,
only dungeon squares. The BUGWIL would be a bit
easier if it would though :)
Put me in the 'fool filter', where I belong!
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 at 05:58 (GMT -5)

Against the cat lord I use both webbing and paralyzation - I take no chances! I tend to find enough wands in the game not to need booze to recharge them though. If a character has alchemy then I'll definitely invest all my booze into Yggaz (especailly if I have a nice booze recipe like in my last game - carrot juice + burb root).
rmcin329
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 at 13:49 (GMT -5)

Eh as for the cat lord....its not that hard to not kill any cats to get his ring. Its a simple matter to lure them into a room, then exit it and lock them in(in my case with the magic lock spell). True some strong monster such as a troll could come break down the door for them, but this doesn't happen all that often.
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4040 days, 23 hours, 41 minutes and 45 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 at 14:04 (GMT -5)

The matter is not that simple.

a) Weak character that has to kill the cat because he can't evade it and he would be killed himself if he just allowed the cat to attack him doing nothing.
b) More than one cat. You get trapped in a hallway between both. Unless you have a teleportation spell, a means of digging or a means of confusion (which is very unlikely to work), it's over.
c) Cat in the Arena. You need either a scroll of familiar summoning, the beastfighter or druid summoning class power, a workable corpse as a necromancer, a teleport spell, or a wand of trap creation coupled with knowledge of the level's trap layout.
d) You kill a cat by accident. My fried is prone to this mistake, as he for some reason refuses to use the 'w'alk command. He just keeps pressing the direction key (every time I see this, I get a feeling as if I watch a car driving at full speed RIGHT INTO AN ABYSS...). Also dangerous: Loading up an old save and not remembering whether you did already kill cats or not. Can lead to bouts of hair-pulling after you get the dreaded message.
e) Cats at the end of bolt spells.
f) Cats in a dark room.
g) Cats as destination for a Thrundarr quest (Can this happen? Never seen it...)
h) CATS CATS CATS EVERYWHERE SWEET MERCIFUL GOD
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/7/2008 at 14:05 (GMT -5) by Silfir]
Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

4571 days, 13 hours, 4 minutes and 49 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 at 14:38 (GMT -5)

Being able to outrun cats is great, just closing a door with them still in the room does the trick. (You hear a faint meowing and scratching at the door).

This tactic makes the long stride and quick talents much more appealing, and it works against all animal/non-humanoid monsters you don't want to deal with.

Kitty discipline, ie taking off your weapon, setting tactics to defensive or coward, and punching them, can also get them to panic. Watch out for wildcats with 1 HP though.
"As for me, I feel priveleged to be among the only species able to make scientific inquiries." -unknown

"Be sure to keep your distance if you don't have resistance." -DG
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 at 22:55 (GMT -5)

You can indeed get a cat for Thrundaar's quest, though thankfully I've never received it (last guy I know that did decided to just go ahead and kill one - he figured the quest rewards would be handy, and he wasn't that likely to even make it to the cat lord).

By the later game cats become much easier to deal with (unless you kill them by accident), but in the early game they are fiendish. It can also be a huge nuisance if an emperor lich in an undead vault summons half a dozen of them... (I lost had the ring explode on me once cause of that and a subsequently miscalculated magic missile) Potions of exchange are obviously handy for cats (especially in the arena), but are generally quite rare.
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5636 days, 17 hours, 53 minutes and 55 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 at 08:19 (GMT -5)

With the potions Yggaz gives, I don't know and I'm not sure, but I'd hazard a guess and say they're just randomly generated potions with danger/item level 1, because Terinyo is danger level 1. This would give the following possibilities:
  • !oHealing
  • !oPotion
  • !oBooze(maybe not..)
  • !oCarrotjuice
  • !oInvisibility
  • !oBalance
  • !oExchange
  • !oGA
  • !oLearning(and !oPotential learning)
  • !oCharisma(potential..)
  • !oBeauty(potential..)
  • !oBlindness
  • !oDeafness
  • !oConfusion
  • !oVisibility

Can you get potions of water from him? They're dlvl 2.
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/8/2008 at 08:21 (GMT -5) by J.]
noob
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 at 11:45 (GMT -5)

This makes sense. I think that's exactly his repertoire. Can't remember getting water.
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

4122 days, 4 hours, 16 minutes and 26 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 at 11:51 (GMT -5)

but you can read scrolls of dangers in village:)
A root is a flower that disdains fame.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

5799 days, 19 hours, 17 minutes and 14 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 at 13:23 (GMT -5)

That's a nice way of wasting a scroll of danger, especially with my last char, which found TWO on ID:36 on the way to Malakai... :)
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
http://www.mindistortion.net/iwantyoursoul/?i_am=Darkcutter
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 at 13:54 (GMT -5)

you can write second copy with magic writing set. That type of scroll is not expensive or difficult.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 at 16:29 (GMT -5)

Does a cursed or blessed scroll of danger raise the danger level more? Dlvl 3 would give access to all stat potions(not boosting, which is good, don't want them anyway), extra healing, cure corruption, youth, longevity, also some maybe less useful ones like cure poison and wonder, troll blood, raw mana, training and stun recovery. Oh and water of course. No potions of sickness, raw chaos, quickling blood or uselessness.

Apart from the quest there aren't very many uses for a scroll of danger, so might as well read one there. I think the lessened chance of PoGA with the newly introduced potions is made up by the fact that most of the new potions are very useful.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/8/2008 at 16:30 (GMT -5) by J.]
noob
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 at 16:56 (GMT -5)

Do ?oDanger raise background corruption (especially on non-corrupting levels) by the way?
Maybe Yggaz could just be lured somewhere else or is it only the sheriff?
vogonpoet
Registered user

Last page view:

4929 days, 6 hours, 30 minutes and 19 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 at 05:26 (GMT -5)

Ha ha, faster to dig holes and create traps to turn all of Terinyo into purple jellies.

Good idea for the potions though
J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 at 10:25 (GMT -5)

There isn't any corruption on levels with dlvl<10, so you'd have to read several scrolls to make Terinyo corrupting. One is sufficient to get most of the good potions(not ultra healing or quickling blood though) :)

Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 at 11:04 (GMT -5)

Background corruption doesn't affect NPCs anyway - just corruption traps and corrupting attacks. Dwarftown is sometimes generated as a corrupting area (which means scrolls of peace are nigh essential if you want to do smithing or spend a lot of time there).
rmcin329
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 at 14:11 (GMT -5)

Now the only question that remains is.....will Yggaz actually give better potions if a scroll of danger is read in Terinyo? Someone still needs to actually run tests to prove that he will, so far i just see a discussion that its likely he will, not any actual proof.
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 at 14:56 (GMT -5)

it was checked and discussed ages ago.

general concensus was not to lose chances for PoGA. IIRC, there were no exact numbers for chances on certain potions (I'd say they are not even). You can go ahead and test it.
Step one - set clock on new year.
Step two - generate new char, go to village trade potions (in one big heap), take notes of results.
Step three - repeat step two until bored.
Step four - post results.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 at 15:16 (GMT -5)

Well, just tried it with a backed up character. Used an uncursed scroll of danger and gave Yggaz 17 booze potions. Results were:

7 potions of water
2 invisibility
1 wonder
1 cure poison
1 carrot juice
1 potential learning
1 potential charisma
1 potential beauty
1 potential mana
1 potential willpower

I'd say this is fairly consistent with random potions you find during exploration - water obviously being the most common. I'd agree that even though there's the added possibility of many stat potions, you have a much reduced chance of PoGA, especially with how heavily weighted water is.
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3089 days, 18 hours, 28 minutes and 47 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 at 16:33 (GMT -5)

No need for date setting, dwarven barbarians start out with 5-9 potions of booze.
Ofcourse, they still get the extras from new year's eve.
A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

5799 days, 19 hours, 17 minutes and 14 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 at 16:35 (GMT -5)

Or you could start up Adombot, give yourself loads of booze and scrolls of danger if you want to test that too, and off you go :) No need to restart, even.
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
http://www.mindistortion.net/iwantyoursoul/?i_am=Darkcutter
noob
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 at 17:59 (GMT -5)

Can Yggaz be wished for - in the SMC or DH2 maybe? Where do you get all the danger levels for monsters/items anyway?
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 at 18:26 (GMT -5)

I think the highest danger level potion is quickling blood at level 15. Anyway, I think my little test shows clearly that danger level 2 items like water can be produced is you read a scroll of danger in Terinyo. Going to higher danger levels doesn't give you much extra, as Soirana says.
Go to page 1 2

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: