Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Smithing

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

rmcin329
Registered user

Last page view:

5188 days, 8 hours, 30 minutes and 50 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 at 03:21 (GMT -5)

Couple questions about smithing......does a hammers blessed cursed uncursed status seem to make any real difference in smithing? i know that in general blessed weapons and armor seemed harder to improve then uncursed ones. Also does the material the hammer is made of vs what the item is made of seem to make a differnce? Example: does say a large eternium hammer do better then a large adamantium one while working on something made out of iron. Details on these matter would be appreciated a lot, thanks to anyone who can help in advance.
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4211 days, 19 hours, 45 minutes and 5 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 at 04:25 (GMT -5)

I'm fairly sure these don't make any difference. Blessed might be better though (same goes for the anvil). Wearing a leather apron gives a little bonus too.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
rmcin329
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 at 05:16 (GMT -5)

yeah they might not, someone should do some testing and try to find out.
Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

4571 days, 9 hours, 50 minutes and 19 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 at 02:18 (GMT -5)

I try to use what I think would be the "best" stuff, just in case it does help my chances.

I wield an eternium warhammer, the Ank, two rings of luck, a leather apron, and bless my anvil.

From personal experience, it seems that blessed ore has a higher chance of improving items. And that trying to improve a piece of armor or weapon that is blessed is more difficult.
"As for me, I feel priveleged to be among the only species able to make scientific inquiries." -unknown

"Be sure to keep your distance if you don't have resistance." -DG
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5114 days, 1 hour, 39 minutes and 28 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 at 14:48 (GMT -5)

My feel is: Blessed ore is better to get ingots from, and not possible to fumble (break ore) with blessed/uncursed. I have no solid feel for smithing on weapons result, though.

There was a big test done, its on the rec.adom. group, written by Brendan O'Naughton. Search for "smithing trials" and it will surely come up.

Using his data, not distinguishing between "item improves" and "despite your best efforst" I came up with this:
1: ("uncursed without apron")
Uncursed piece of equipment, anvil, ingots.
No apron.
Success: 127 out of 225. (56,4%)

2: ("uncursed with apron")
Uncursed piece of equipment, anvil, ingots.
Wearing uncursed apron.
Success: 131 out of 225. (58,2%)

3: ("blessed" case)
Blessed piece of equipment, anvil, ingots.
Wearing blessed apron.
Success: 140 out of 225. (62,2%)

He did 5 more cases, and I decided to select a random of these (by use of a stopwatch):
4: ("Random")
Blessed piece of equipment, uncursed anvil, blessed ingots.
Wearing uncursed apron.
Success: 140 out of 225. (62,2%)

I then selected one more case after looking at it
5: ("Rigged")
Blessed piece of equipment, blessed anvil, blessed ingots.
Wearing uncursed apron.
Success: 126 out of 225 (56%)

It is, I think, pretty clear that the effect is not very great if it is there. But it looks to me that the test is not conclusive. There could be a difference in success rates, but it is not statistically provable by that test.

He did also not test type, material nor status of hammer, and not if luck had anything to do with things, or what cursed stuff would do.

However, I admit to using eternium hammer and wearing apron if one is nearby, and Ankh too. Even if it increases food consumpion. But good to know that blessing ingots does not appear to have a huge difference, as they take one holy water each.

Another post: Yet another smithing post
This basically shows that smithing really goes on and on...just have faith. There is no hard limit, just less and less chance.
How about eternium halberd (+45, 4d8+37)? Just gather 945 ingots...

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/7/2008 at 15:04 (GMT -5) by Molach]
Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 at 15:39 (GMT -5)

Damn, that's a halberd worth using!
"As for me, I feel priveleged to be among the only species able to make scientific inquiries." -unknown

Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 at 15:41 (GMT -5)

Oh another thing I thought of, if an item has a prefix or suffix, that can make it harder to smith up. Especially if they increase to hit or to damage.

Do a trial on a regular iron longsword vs a sword of sharpness. My bet is, you'll smith up the iron longsword a lot more times than the SoS.

rmcin329
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 at 18:21 (GMT -5)

haha speaking of suffix items the hatchet you get from saving the carpenter.....(i didn't actually identify it for quite awhile) turned out to be a blessed poisonus hatchet

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: