Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Need help about curse/disease

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 5 pages long.
Go to page 1 2 3 4 5
noob
Registered user

Last page view:

5899 days, 20 hours, 50 minutes and 12 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 at 21:09 (GMT -5)

If you find the puppy dead before day 4 then it died after you entered the level (traps, fights, ...). Just find it very quickly or get up to freeze time there and return later more powerful.

The best way to fight the exploding monsters (vortex) is to RUN as fast as you can and close a door behind you - or order the puppy on a suicide-attack-mission so you won't be harmed by the explosion ;D (because they are really deadly and will usually kill you at low level).

The level 1 character had seven league boots from the beginning which make you REALLY fast (especially in the wildernis) - so it was possible to finish the game quite early. Also you can train amazing stats without getting levels. Weapontraining doesn't require kills - you just have to hit the target. What amazes me is how far that Trinity got with 30 hp without being instakilled by some nasty trap.
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4210 days, 17 hours, 37 minutes and 56 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, January 19, 2008 at 08:21 (GMT -5)

Doolag: If the puppy dies whilst you're on the level before you find it then you get the message "You sense the death of an innocent being". Of course how it ever got that far down without being killed is a mystery...

The Trinity character was level 1 throughout. Only monster killed was the Elder Chaos God, who gives 1 xp. In the early game the character got a killer bug pet and trained it up so that it decimated everything nearby - there was no need for healing till the later game. Other creatures don't need fire resistance in the fire temple, so that's not a problem (in fact you can even find tension rooms of frost giants in there who are unharmed by the heat). Pets can't go through D49, but you can use a scroll of familiar summoning on D50 to get a pretty decent pet.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Doalag
Registered user

Last page view:

5821 days, 20 hours, 4 minutes and 43 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, January 19, 2008 at 21:07 (GMT -5)

noob and Darren : About Trinity ok ok if you say so, to tell the truth it is too difficult for me to believe without to have see it! :-D

noob : About puppy, yes leaving the level asap. Sometimes I don't remember to have take so much time and found it dead anyway but sure later will be faster. Well Vortex are slow? They explode after a limit of time or when hit or when killed? In my current game, I met one two times, in another cave. Once I got the three pets killed, there's a sort of fog and I don't remember how I get there! The second time it was in a room full of various monsters and noticed too late one of them was a vortex. I and the pets was stuck in the melee. When it explodes averybody survived this time and I could clean the room and survive, nice luck. :-)

Darren : Weird I didn't notice the sentence. In fact I never saw puppy get hit except by the explosion of the vortex. I don't think it is so weak for defense. Why I found it dead so many times is hard to explain.
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, January 19, 2008 at 22:08 (GMT -5)

Vortexes tend to be very fast, and they explode as soon as they get next to you or any other creature they're attacking. It's usually best to take them out with missiles or bolt spells before they get near you.

I find the puppy is fairly weak and can die quite easily. It doesn't help that the damned thing is near suicidal and always attacks creatures near it. It can also be killed by traps on the bottom level before you ever get to it.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Doalag
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, January 19, 2008 at 22:56 (GMT -5)

It's weird I met one more Vortex, that's a lot in a short time. This time it was around a corner, I couldn't do much but it results no effects, my character that was the closer didn't get any damage despite he was inside the explosion and the pets was on the other side of the corner and not inside the explosion.
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, January 19, 2008 at 23:37 (GMT -5)

If you have resistance to that type of vortex you won't take much damage, though your equipment can still get destroyed. And sometimes your character can get lucky and partly evade the explosion.
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4039 days, 18 hours, 20 minutes and 6 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 at 06:28 (GMT -5)

Doalag, if you ever find one of those purple traps, make sure the puppy doesn't cross it. The sight would break your heart.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
noob
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 at 08:18 (GMT -5)

Do companions stay friendly after... ?
Doalag
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 at 08:50 (GMT -5)

Darren : There are different type of Vortex? I haven't quote that. Currently none of their explosion destroyed items but traps did. For the rain, the hooded cloak is the perfect protection, the game provided some messages about it. The waterproof blanket is perhaps an inventory protection when swimming but I haven't attempt it a lot nor I will, if I can avoid it, because no pets are swimming, ok for the lion or the tiger but for the bear or a dog it's weird.

I saw once a fireproof blanket in a shop, nice price, alas my character died later.

I don't see what protection I have, the only one clear is that I'm almost poisoned immune, any poison last only 3 round in my blood so all poisonous stuff are now a good way to fulfill the appetite of the Troll. :-)

EDIT : I also carry a blessed plain blanket but I don't see what protection it could bring.

I notices Vertex explosion had multiple colors in a same explosion, like some white and some red, perhaps damages are very different depending of the color on your square.

Thanks Silfir, I already read some stuff about that in one thread here, I take as much care I can but with three frivolous pets running everywhere it's not easy to keep control. Each step in one once, and one did it twice. My farmer pet did it 4 times by accident.

noob : Yes they are friendly, just because my pets are smart, when I trigger a trap they know I'have been an idiot and they condemn me culprit but for Vertex they know I couldn't do much :-P so no problem. I put all pets far when I attempt something wrong on a door but that still let the possibility of traps on ground, for them I don't remember what happen.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/20/2008 at 08:57 (GMT -5) by Doalag]
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 at 09:45 (GMT -5)

There are 4 different types of vortex, corresponding to the four elemental resistances you can get: fire, ice, lightning and acid. They can all cause equipment damage, though lightning and acid are the worst. Construct slaying ammo works nicely against them, or bolt spells/wands that can damage them. Or a wand of door creation can come in handy in a corridor. If I don't have a way of taking them out at a distance though I'll usually put on an appropriate ring of resistance and charge, hoping for the best.
Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

4570 days, 7 hours, 43 minutes and 10 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 at 16:38 (GMT -5)

Yeah, I use the same strategy against Vortices. Throw everything I have against them from a distance, then set tactics to Berserk and take a big swing once they get next to me.

Tension rooms full of vortices are especially problematic.

I've noticed, in my experience, having multiple resistances or immunity to the element of the vortice SEEMS to decrease the amount of item destruction, although this may be just random/luck.
"As for me, I feel priveleged to be among the only species able to make scientific inquiries." -unknown

"Be sure to keep your distance if you don't have resistance." -DG
Doalag
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 at 17:06 (GMT -5)

I really get lucky with my last 3 Vortex, no items destroyed.
Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

4570 days, 7 hours, 43 minutes and 10 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 at 17:09 (GMT -5)

Silfir - I think the puppy would have to cross that purple trap a number of times for something bad to happen.
"As for me, I feel priveleged to be among the only species able to make scientific inquiries." -unknown

"Be sure to keep your distance if you don't have resistance." -DG
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 at 17:17 (GMT -5)

Nope. The cute puppy gets transformed after the first time, yielding a very heartbreaking message. Believe me, I've seen it.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
noob
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 at 19:55 (GMT -5)

That's not true (anymore?) - the puppy can absorb quite some radiation before joining Andys forces. Tested it to see that message - Doalag certainly wouldn't be happy...
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

4868 days, 19 hours, 54 minutes and 52 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 at 22:38 (GMT -5)

The presence of a vortex on the dungeon level is
usually announced to the player. You will recieve
several messages like "you hear a distant wind".
If you have a scroll of darkness, they can really
save your life. No vortex will explode in the
dark. Just be careful about companions when in
darkness. If you move into them, it automatically
attacks them. If you have a source of light though,
(amulet, wand or scrolls) it is an option for you.

Invisibility (from a spell, potion, or cloak) will
keep a vortex from seeing you. You can attack them
with wands/spells while invisible, and they won't
explode. If you attack with melee or missiles, they
will explode on you. Invisibility is most useful
for simply running away from them, as a vortex will
not follow you up or down stairs, while your invis.
Just remember it's there the next time you climb
the stairs.

Regarding vortex powers:
Lightning vortex is the fastest one in the game,
you will not outrun this one. It's the second
most powerful, in terms of equipment damage and
HP damage. Shock resistance is the most rare
resistance in the early game, as there is no ring
for this one. If you see a 'yellow' weapon of any
kind, it is probably worth carrying it for a while,
just in case. Weapons with the prefix 'yellow' will
grant shock resistance, they are rare though.

Generating a lightning vortex is really quite rare.
If they are generated, you will very often recieve
the message "you sense imminent danger". A good
warning to get close to a set of stairs, quick!
If you can increase your 'luck' intrinsic (through
high piety, or a ring/amulet), it will increase the
chance of not generating monsters like this. With
the 'luck' (and 'fate smiles') intrinsic, you will
mostly recieve the above message, followed by "but
the feeling passes", which means that the monster
wasn't generated. A lightning vortex will not burn
through webs.

Fire vortex is the next fastest, running from
lightning and fire just allows them to close
in on you. Luckily it's usually not too powerful.
Resistance to fire, is the most common available
in the early game. They burn through webs, so
webs are of no use against them.

Acid vortex is about the same speed you are...
if you are un-encumbered an un-satiated. They are
the most powerful in the game as far as item
destruction and HP damage. Resistance is somewhat
common in the early game. If you see a weapon with
the prefix 'green', it's probably worth carrying it
for a while, just in case. If an acid vortex is
generated, you will most likely receive the message
"you sense immenent danger". They do not burn through
webs.

Ice vortex is the slowest in the game, you can
actually outrun this one! They aren't too powerful,
and usually only damage books and scrolls. Resistance
is quite commoh in the early game, and they do not
burn through webs.

Put me in the 'fool filter', where I belong!
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3088 days, 13 hours, 7 minutes and 8 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 at 01:01 (GMT -5)

Ice Vorticles go on a rampage if you have any good potions. ALWAYS be prepared to loos all your PoEH, PoUH and stat potions when one of these blows up.
It hurts a bit less, when you're prepared for it.
A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/21/2008 at 01:02 (GMT -5) by Maelstrom]
Doalag
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 at 02:57 (GMT -5)

Gut : Nice trick I didn't make the correlation with the sentence, well I met at most 4. :-)

About bumping into pets in the dark, no that doesn't attack them. But probably everything else, I got blind during a very long time once and attack the baby dragon without any notice.

About resistance I think I have a very high resistance to fire, I saw stuff hell throwing to me fire spit constantly and do no damage or only 1 instantly recovered.

Hey cool, I have the message "...but
the feeling passes" very often, well I doubt I could have luck/fate smile, at best I got few "very pleased" from my god. All my items are identified, I don't see which one can do that. I don't remember to have ever get alone "you sense imminent danger".

Dam I have sold the green daguer I had and I died once when I got a ring of acid resistance.

Maelstrom : Huuu I hate so much when I got stuff lost. Well now I have some stuff and keep everything important in double and store them with a pet or a safe area. But for stuff like healing potion I cannot do that.

About safe area, I have to change and wonder if the house of the elder in dwarf village will be ok. For now I put stuff there and close the door but also let a pet above the stuff to guard them. I hope it will be ok. :-)

EDIT : About Vortex, traps and items protection, if the waterproof blanket is working against water trap/attack/rain, the fireproof blanket that I saw once should works against fire. Perhaps there's also acidproof and coldproof versions. :-) I wonder what the plain blanket does. Not clear what "plain blanket" means.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/21/2008 at 03:33 (GMT -5) by Doalag]
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 at 05:05 (GMT -5)

Huh. My puppy must have gotten corrupted offscreen before then...

Plain blanket means it's just a normal blanket. It doesn't protect your pack from anything.

It does have one use, though. You can cover pits with it, to let monsters fall in! :)

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/21/2008 at 05:06 (GMT -5) by Silfir]
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

5798 days, 13 hours, 55 minutes and 35 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 at 07:13 (GMT -5)

Or you can exchange them for other blankets - might not be worth the PoEx though.

No acid/iceproof blankets unfortunately, but you can always protect your rings with artifact gauntlets.
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
http://www.mindistortion.net/iwantyoursoul/?i_am=Darkcutter
noob
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 at 07:50 (GMT -5)

In fact you can build any trap out of that plain blanket I think. I once protected my stuff with a blanket trap in the masterthiefs house in case some bandit would sneak in. But instead of falling in some pit when I entered the room later myself (didn't care about a pit) suddenly a huge fireball erupted. Wow, pretty amazing blanket - always keep one around (or was it a towel?)...
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 at 10:15 (GMT -5)

It's a bug. On surface levels, where dungeon traps normally won't appear, pits will be created by trap creation wands all the time. If you cover these with a blanket, the trap that corresponds to that level's trap pattern will be created instead. This is a bug useful if you want to hunt gremlins on the Dwarven Graveyard (which is the non-corrupting place with the highest danger level).
noob
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 at 13:02 (GMT -5)

Oh, so it won't work underground then. I digged the hole but it works for the same. I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad.
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 at 14:18 (GMT -5)

Doalag:
>About bumping into pets in the dark, no that
>doesn't attack them.

Really? My experience with pets is minimal, but
I did make the cute dog hostile just yesterday,
by bumping into him in the dark.
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 at 14:25 (GMT -5)

gut, Darkness isn't foolproof against vortices. They still go off fairly frequently in darkness. It's the best thing to use if you run into a threat room of them though.

Also you say invisibility and spells/wands will work well against them, but it's best to specify only bolt magic. This doesn't reveal yourself to enemies hit by it, unlike ball spells and burning hands (though burning hands will normally easily finish off an ice vortex in one hit).
Doalag
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 at 14:27 (GMT -5)

Silfir : Lol, really? You mean pit or holes in the ground? I haven't seen any pit yet.

gut: Ok the cute dog, you mean puppy? It's not your pet.
noob
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 at 16:22 (GMT -5)

It's true - farmer/bard companions are just displaced in the dark.

Doalag: It works on pits. You can dig them yourself with the right tools or magic.
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 at 19:16 (GMT -5)

Darren:
>Darkness isn't foolproof against vortices

The only instance that I can think of, where
a vortex would explode in the dark, is if
the vortex is on a 'door' square. There is a
bug (feature?) in the game that causes every
monster to be able to 'see in the dark' if
they are on a door square. I forgot to mention
that.

Monsters that can and do panic, will also gain
the ability to see you in the dark. To my
knowledge though, no vortex is capable of panic.
I can say, after having beat the game many
dozens of times, (in each of the last few ADOM
versions) that I have never had any vortex
explode on me in the dark.

>Also you say invisibility and spells/wands will
>work well against them, but it's best to specify
>only bolt magic

Indeed, I actually thought mentioning about that.
I couldn't recall though, ever NOT killing a
vortex with one hit from a ball spell. I suppose
it is possible though, so that is more accurate.
I was trying to specify the advice to Doalag's
PC. I thought it more likely, that his farmer or
troll healer, would have access to bolt-type wands
rather than burning hands or ball spells.
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 at 19:49 (GMT -5)

Ah, I didn't realise about the door thing - that explains a lot...
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 at 05:02 (GMT -5)

I looked through the 'open bugs' page on the
official adom page, but didn't see anything
about it. So I assume it is not a bug, but a
feature. If you watched the demo I posted,
about killing a shopkeeper with an exp. level 1
PC, you will notice I stay well away from the
doorway. If you stand next to the doorway, for
even a single turn, you will get hit (poisoned)
to death by a thug.
Go to page 1 2 3 4 5

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: